homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Off-Topic
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Off-Topic All non guitar/music related discussion here. Keep things work-safe.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-02-2005, 12:29 AM   #1
Lord Super Awesome

Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
New inspirations? Tell me yours!

Have you ever found yourself TOTALLY inspired just by switching to a new guitar, tuning, etc? This has happen to me recently.

For the last couple years, I've been playing a 7-string primarily in Drop A tuning. However, I bought an OLP Petrucci 6-string last week, threw on a set of 11s & tuned it to Standard C# tuning. EUREKA! Today, I've had a monster surge of creativity!!! I can't seem to put the guitar down. Is it the tuning? The guitar itself? What the hell is it? Whatever it is...I want more of it!

After playing this OLP & Donnie's EBMM JP7s for awhile now, I REALLY want a JP7 of my own. Drat! Why must they cost so much?

Anyway, tell me your inspirational stories...if'n you've got a good'n.
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-02-2005, 09:24 AM   #2
Sarcy English Twat

Location: 7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bruv, Safe, London, UK
7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
Yep, loads of times, just by having something that sounds different and plays differently, which kind of leads you to play slightly differently which leads to cool as .... riffs!

The Chaos has come:
www.chaosanct.com
7 Dying Trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2005, 01:34 PM   #3
Occasional Poster

giannifive is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/giannifive is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/giannifive is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/giannifive is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/giannifive is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/giannifive is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/giannifive is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
For me it's usually tone that inspires me. For example, when I switch to the single coil only on my RG I end up playing some real Hendrix-style stuff, throw on the envelope filter and I can only play funky stuff. When I first installed my Air Norton 7 I couldn't help but play some Petrucci-style tremolo picking wall-of-sound lines. Vocal sounding pickups always make me play slow, passionate stuff with a lot of bends. The list goes on and on. Conversely, bad sounding pickups make me want to put the guitar down.
giannifive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2005, 01:45 PM   #4
Fear the Polo!

Drew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Seeing Opeth. I now want to learn their entire catalogue.

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

http://www.metalguitarist.org
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2005, 01:46 PM   #5
Get Some!

cadenhead is a splendid one to beholdcadenhead is a splendid one to beholdcadenhead is a splendid one to beholdcadenhead is a splendid one to beholdcadenhead is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I think, more than anything, It's just getting out of the rutt. Trying someting new opens more doors. It's kinda like adding more colors to the spectrum.

If I seem to get stuck in the ole grind of doing the same thing, I just listen to a different style of music than I normaly do (even if it's music that I hate). It gets my juices flowing if I hear something I like, or If I think I would have taken a approch to a song.
cadenhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2005, 01:57 PM   #6
The Church of SEVEN
Super Moderator

eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadenhead
I think, more than anything, It's just getting out of the rutt. Trying someting new opens more doors. It's kinda like adding more colors to the spectrum.

If I seem to get stuck in the ole grind of doing the same thing, I just listen to a different style of music than I normaly do (even if it's music that I hate). It gets my juices flowing if I hear something I like, or If I think I would have taken a approch to a song.
Oddly, I've found that playing in my cover band does that quite well - I have to learn stuff I wouldn't ordinarily play, and I've found it makes me look at my writing differently...
eaeolian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2005, 02:00 PM   #7
Lord Super Awesome

Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.
^ Oh yes! Being exposed to and playing new music is a sure-fire inspiration kicker!

I'm just amazed how going to a 6-string in a different tuning sparked new creativity.
Unread 11-02-2005, 02:17 PM   #8
Vince is X!!!

Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I've been listening to this new band recently... End Theory. Ever heard of them? They wail.

Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2005, 02:20 PM   #9
Lord Super Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdweller
I've been listening to this new band recently... End Theory. Ever heard of them? They wail.
Yeah, I've heard of them. The band is pretty good overall, but that dude who plays the blue guitar is a whiny bitch.
Unread 11-02-2005, 02:25 PM   #10
Vince is X!!!

Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.
speaking of which, when's the album coming out bud?
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2005, 02:33 PM   #11
Ken

Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.
Oh Baby!

Or, maybe

Not sure yet...
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2005, 02:45 PM   #12
that guy

Dylan7620 is just really niceDylan7620 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
when i switched into this new band im playing in which we just play 6 strings one step down. that opened up a whole different world it seemed like. then switching back to 7 string and keep playing the riffs in Em then i get to go down and use the B,C and D they sound massive.

"are there gonna be snacks? i heard there were gonna be snacks."
Dylan7620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2005, 08:44 PM   #13
{##[====:::.

Leon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
doing research on CCD imagers for a seminar has somewhat inspired me to bone up on semiconductor physics

oh, and listening to The Jelly Jam often lately has my playing going in a sort of 'heavy metal Pink Floyd' direction.

Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2005, 09:08 PM   #14
Ibanez Guitars

Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Shawn deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
I get new inspirations all the time. Most of them from others here on this forum.

My Guitar Videos My Band/Project

Guitars~

1991 Ibanez UV7PWH (Dead Mint),
1991 Ibanez UV7BK (Mint),
1998 (F97) Ibanez RG7620BK (refinished in Arctic White),
1999 Ibanez S7420FMTT (silver dot),
2013 Ibanez RG8WH,
1999 Fender Made in Mexico Strat (white, maple fretboard)
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2005, 09:20 PM   #15
Lord Super Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdweller
speaking of which, when's the album coming out bud?
Sigh...
It's taking ....ing FOREVER! The chick designing our cover & CD layout has been flaking out as of late, so now we're having to find other sources. We'll get the thing out eventually. As of this month, it's been a year since we recorded it. At this rate, it should be out around Summer of 2012.
Unread 11-03-2005, 01:52 AM   #16
ss.org Regular

jakeskylyr is a glorious beacon of lightjakeskylyr is a glorious beacon of lightjakeskylyr is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The last inspiration for me was getting out of Sam Ash and actually HAVING a chance to play

Prior to that, maybe 2 or 3 months ago now, one of my girl friends (not girlfriend unfortunately) was telling me about all of her home troubles and what she's been going through at home for the past few years with her family. Not to discuss at great lengths, but in a nutshell, I'd say she's one of the strongest people I've ever met. No one outside of her immediate family knows of the situation, and she needed to vent. Well, this inspired me to write a song and the basis of the music which is the song "Dark Secret". By the way, that song has evolved from a "Jake Skylyr song" to a piece I'm working on with my band.

That was my last BIG inspiration. Smaller versions come and go all the time.
jakeskylyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2005, 01:36 PM   #17
<3's Tsukasa

D-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnateD-EJ915 is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I hadn't played guitar in at least a week (since smearing my hand on the ground) because it was really swollen and has a scab...

anyway, even though it's still a bit fed up I picked up my 7 and started ripping out crap with it...it was just sweeeeeeet. I could play so quickly that I was like OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!! I guess stopping playing for a bit to "rest" really does help, haha.

əBCAir
D-EJ915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2005, 01:42 PM   #18
dpm
Oni Guitars

dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
all fourths tuning has taken my playing beyond what is was. Just tune the treble b and e up to c and f.

I'm currently catching up with emails, please be patient
dpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2005, 12:05 AM   #19
None shall pass.

eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Every time I get writer's block, I sit down at my drummer's house with his $50 Ovation copy acoustic (actually pretty sweet) and goof around. Eventually I'll find something I like, and keep messing with it for about 20 minutes, until he turns around and goes "That's cool, who wrote that?" and if I say "Me" he says "Awesome, let's use it" lol Most recently I was playing some old Tea Party tunes I haven't played in a while (using CGCGCD and EBEGBE) and came up with some cool new stuff in EBEGBE. I started playing around with it on my electric at home in CGCD#GC and it's sounding pretty sweet. I've gotta get back into more strange tunings, I used to think I'd never be able to write in those tunings because I couldn't grasp the theory of them or come up with chords, just copy other people's patterns, but I'm more comfortable with the guitar (beyond standard tuning) now.

The Offensive Senses
Twitter
Facebook
eleven59 is offline   Reply With Quote