homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Off-Topic
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Off-Topic All non guitar/music related discussion here. Keep things work-safe.

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
The Roadie

Hendrix is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Guitar Center Going Bankrupt?

Daily Kos: Bain Capital's "Guitar Center" going down fast

Did not even know that Bain capital had acquired guitar center. Should this actually be true I can't say that I'm sad to see the "Wal-Mart" of music go down. What are your thoughts on this?

"You don't need a DI, I've got these radioshack 1/4" to XLR adaptors, just go straight into the splitter"

"Hey where are the DMX connections for those load cells? Those connect to the Grand MA 2 right?"

"I saved the night by adjusting the parabolic gain and flattening the graphic EQ"

- That one dumb ass
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 10-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #2
Freemanologist

Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Good riddance.

Too bad they'll probably just reorganize and keep going.

Liberty has never come from the government.
Liberty has always come from the subjects of it.
The history of liberty is a history of resistance.
- Woodrow Wilson
Chickenhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
Ibby Fanboy

Sephiroth952 is just really niceSephiroth952 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Well ,y mother works for chase and is currently seeking employment within the company because she is being laid off, and my step dad works for guitar center. If people start getting fired to recoup losses or are just plain scraped my family will be in a pretty bad situation.

Axes:
S540OL(Stock F-series pick-ups they're just to good to change)
Rg5Ex1(B:Tone Zone, M:True Velvet, N:Liquifire)
Sephiroth952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #4
Shred till your dead

SpaceDock has much to be proud ofSpaceDock has much to be proud ofSpaceDock has much to be proud ofSpaceDock has much to be proud ofSpaceDock has much to be proud ofSpaceDock has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Hopefully next on the list will be clear channel. I hate how much these businesses have controlled the music world in the last few decades.
poopyalligator and op1e like this.

SpaceDock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #5
Freemanologist

Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth952 View Post
Well ,y mother works for chase and is currently seeking employment within the company because she is being laid off, and my step dad works for guitar center. If people start getting fired to recoup losses or are just plain scraped my family will be in a pretty bad situation.
Sorry to hear about that, man.

Honestly, I don't see them closing their doors.

Liberty has never come from the government.
Liberty has always come from the subjects of it.
The history of liberty is a history of resistance.
- Woodrow Wilson
Chickenhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #6
Power Metal Cellist

TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
My friends who work for Sam Ash would be happy. They don't much like the Guitar Center strategy of "set up a GC right across the street from a Sam Ash."

Also, Sam Ash is privately held by the founding family, which limits the amount of financial risk they can really take. GC's got a bit more leeway to play with debt.
TemjinStrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
Five Align

Lagtastic is just really niceLagtastic is just really nice
Well, that sucks. They literally just opened a store 10 minutes away from me, I've enjoyed dropping in and trying out amps.
Konfyouzd likes this.

Accept the consequence of risk
Lagtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #8
Bring the gain

MikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himselfMikeH is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinStrife View Post
My friends who work for Sam Ash would be happy. They don't much like the Guitar Center strategy of "set up a GC right across the street from a Sam Ash."
They did that as soon as Sam Ash bought out the Mars Music by me. They were probably 3 exits down. As soon as SA opened, GC made the move to the same outlet complex. Such a bullshit tactic. I never shop GC anyways.

Lethal Force Fitness: Hardcore fitness for hardcore musicians.
KEEP IT GRIM IN THE GYM
MikeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #9
Banned

flexkill is a name known to allflexkill is a name known to allflexkill is a name known to allflexkill is a name known to all
Guitar Center bought out the Mars music in Nashville. haha.

This going out of business thing is not new news. They have been struggling with this for quite some time.
flexkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 09:01 PM   #10
Correct-handed

leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I hope it dies. I do all my guitar music shopping at a little local place where I'm friends with all the employees and stuff. When I'm bored I just go there and chill.
TomPerverteau likes this.

"Yeah, sometimes when you're cool, you spontaneously combust into a fireball of awesomeness" - RenegadeDave
leftyguitarjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #11
Many Fingers

Valennic is a glorious beacon of lightValennic is a glorious beacon of lightValennic is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Bittersweet thing really. Some of the guitar centers in the area have some monumentally amazing gear. If they go under, I'll really miss their used section too. Some seriously amazing deals happened there.
ShadowFactoryX likes this.

Affiliated with Ace Music of Newville, PA.

Valennic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #12
The Roadie

Hendrix is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I don't know what to see really, it seems impossible that Guitar Center would be folding. I hate that employees work for commission, a music equipment store should not be run like a car dealership. I guess I'm indifferent since for everything I think is great about guitar center I can think of just as many bad things.

"You don't need a DI, I've got these radioshack 1/4" to XLR adaptors, just go straight into the splitter"

"Hey where are the DMX connections for those load cells? Those connect to the Grand MA 2 right?"

"I saved the night by adjusting the parabolic gain and flattening the graphic EQ"

- That one dumb ass
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #13
Mid-Level Asshole

7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexkill View Post
Guitar Center bought out the Mars music in Nashville. haha.

This going out of business thing is not new news. They have been struggling with this for quite some time.
We had a mars music here in St.Louis and it was pretty sweet. It be dead naow.

Confront and Destroy!
7 Strings of Hate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #14
SS.org Regular

op1e is a jewel in the rough
Sam Ash is layed out so much nicer in Ohio and has real gear to try out, not just isles and isles of cheap combos. Its just a pain cause its much further away in Mayfield and the opposite direction from home when I wanna hit sumn on the way outta work. Whenever I go to Microcenter I make sure I go around the block to them, however.
op1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 10:04 PM   #15
Brown man

Onegunsolution has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinStrife View Post
the Guitar Center strategy of "set up a GC right across the street from a Sam Ash."
....ING THIS!

"They say you are what you eat, Thats funny cause I don't remember eating a ....in' legend"
Onegunsolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 10:22 PM   #16
Ashes Of Rebirth

iRaiseTheDead is a glorious beacon of lightiRaiseTheDead is a glorious beacon of lightiRaiseTheDead is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
This is... interesting
iRaiseTheDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #17
Dr.Poopyalligator

poopyalligator is a splendid one to beholdpoopyalligator is a splendid one to beholdpoopyalligator is a splendid one to beholdpoopyalligator is a splendid one to beholdpoopyalligator is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceDock View Post
Hopefully next on the list will be clear channel. I hate how much these businesses have controlled the music world in the last few decades.
This x1,000,000,000

My main setup:
Ibanez uv7bk green dot, Engl fireball 60, genz benz g flex 2x12.
poopyalligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #18
blood junkie

TRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to all
I hope not honestly.
GC terre haute is the only place around here that keeps a good stock.
I don't go there often, but it's nice sometimes to swing by and check things out hands on.
TRENCHLORD is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #19
DESU METARU!

kamello is just really nicekamello is just really nice
Used Gear GC prices.....oh shit, please no, Im gonna miss that

(seriously, I can buy gear for 1/4 of the price in relation with Chile)

-
I love how when someone says they're playing in E, or B on this forum you really have no idea what octave they're talking about lol -Mintberrycrunch ....(・ω・`) ....
---
Covers and I hope that soon I can record some of my stuff
http://www.youtube.com/user/wallytalivan
http://soundcloud.com/kamello-chm
kamello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 10:54 PM   #20
Banned

bob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to beholdbob123 is a splendid one to behold
How the hell are they going out of business?!?! This sucks, because that means guitar prices will inevitably raise... some of you may not like GC, but they definitely have the volume to help keep prices low....
bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 10:59 PM   #21

leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Everybody is either going custom or Rondo/Agile, plus Axe Fx cant be found at Guitar Center, so they aren't selling guitars, effects pedals and amps like they used to. Also, with the internet/ebay/craigslist theres way more places to buy stuff either used or they all price match. I could go on and on and really have no idea where it went wrong but thats where I would start.
leonardo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 11:49 PM   #22
Bonitis.

Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardo7 View Post
Almost everybody on this forum is either going custom or Rondo/Agile, plus Axe Fx cant be found at Guitar Center, so they aren't selling guitars, effects pedals and amps like they used to.
Fixed that for you.

Extreme Syncopation =/= Poly-rhythmic

Necris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 12:10 AM   #23
plays in 69/42

Thrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud of
sounds a lot like what has happend to Allans stores here. good riddance.

...Each guitarist has an evil fat 40 year old blueswankler trying to get out, If you give in to temptation you'll be sitting next to a fender playing john lee hooker while trying to keep your combover in place.

-Desecrated

being black and enjoying watermelon, i think this thread needs more watermelon.
budda
Thrashmanzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 12:42 AM   #24
Jessofperdition

tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I doubt the lack of an AxeFx II would cause GC to go bankrupt. Perhaps people are tired of crap gear being pawned off on them as "slamming, crushing and brewtal". Just saying...
incinerated_guitar likes this.

Not sure how to interact with transgender people? Read this:
http://tranifesto.com/transgender-fa...-trans-people/
Check out my soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jessica-macarthur

ATTORNEY: Doctor , how many of your autopsies have you performed on dead people?
WITNESS: All of them. The live ones put up too much of a fight.

"You can fuck anything....how do you think evolution happened?" - mcd
tacotiklah is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 12:49 AM   #25
plays in 69/42

Thrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud of
or perhaps people just don't appreciate pushy, judgmental salespeople
again, this is going off my understanding that GC is similar to Allans
flint757 likes this.

...Each guitarist has an evil fat 40 year old blueswankler trying to get out, If you give in to temptation you'll be sitting next to a fender playing john lee hooker while trying to keep your combover in place.

-Desecrated

being black and enjoying watermelon, i think this thread needs more watermelon.
budda
Thrashmanzac is offline   Reply With Quote