homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Off-Topic
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Off-Topic All non guitar/music related discussion here. Keep things work-safe.

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-30-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
Banned

Eric Christian is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Peacocks...

We moved into a house in the same town a couple miles from our other place and guess what there is a flock of "feral" Peacocks that randomly roam around the neighborhood. They were cute for about the first hour and now we've figured out that they're basically just fancy looking Turkeys that make a hideous skreeching noise.

So, the back story is some crazy bird lady several houses down bought a breeding pair here 10 years ago and they multipled up to like 20+ and then some guy from Texas moved in nearby and got sick of their shit and killed all of them. So dingbat broad buys another breeding pair and now theres like 10+ of them and of course she feeds the stupid things in her backyard every evening. Its quite the spectacle really. And of course the entire neighborhood is divided. Some people hate them, some love them. I'm still kind of neutral on them at this point, however I just want them off my roof and out of my yards thats all.

At first they stayed off the property because apparently the previous tenants had a couple bulldogs. Now they've figured out that the bulldogs are gone and they're decimating my wifes prized rare plant collection that took years to grow. So at first wife and kids thought they were cool but now they basically hate them. Again, I could really care less but I have to find a solution.

So I contact the "government" and of course I get the runaround. First I call the Clackamas Sherrif's Office and they basically laugh at me and say theres nothing they can do cause all they do is catch dogs. They do tell me that when the peacocks are on my property they belong to me but they can't tell me what I can or can't do once I catch them. So I call the Oregon State Police and they pretty much tell me to stop wasting their time and call Oregon Dept. of Fish & Wildlife Invasive Species Division. That guy is pretty cool but tells me that peacocks are actually "fowl" and they fall under the jurisdiction of the Oregon Dept. of Agriculture. So I call them and they laugh at me and tell me to call the City of Lake Oswego. I call them and they say even though you have a city address you're actually in unincorporated Clackamas County so call them... lol... so at this point I call the Sherrif again and tell them this story and again they say sorry theres nothing they can do except maybe go to a county commmisioners meeting and file a motion or some bullshit. Then they tell me to call the Zoo.

So I'm like what have I got to lose, call the Zoo. The guy is real friendly but laughs his ass off when I ask him if they can come pick the peacocks. He says no thanks the Zoo got rid of all of their peacocks but he won't tell me why but he keeps snickering.

So bottom line me here folks. I need some ideas that don't involve me roasting these juicy succulent creatures on my BBQ basted with a Cajun sauce. I need a clean lawful solution to make these things just go away so I can practice and record in peace in my new studio and my wife can have her plants unmolested. And no, a dog is not an option.
Eric Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 07-30-2012, 11:04 PM   #2
Sycamore Trees

Murdstone is a glorious beacon of lightMurdstone is a glorious beacon of lightMurdstone is a glorious beacon of light
Get a pet wolf.
Murdstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 08:52 AM   #3
SS.org Regular

avenger is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Id say having wild peacocks in the neighborhood would make for great drunken/grassy entertainment.

Let the birds be freeeeee!

avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 08:58 AM   #4
:O

Cabinet is a splendid one to beholdCabinet is a splendid one to beholdCabinet is a splendid one to beholdCabinet is a splendid one to beholdCabinet is a splendid one to behold
I'd say you hire someone to...neutralize them...

No but really, um...is there some kind of deterrent you can use?
Cabinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 09:03 AM   #5
Assman McTrollster

axxessdenied is a name known to allaxxessdenied is a name known to allaxxessdenied is a name known to allaxxessdenied is a name known to all
Gun.

Problem. Solved.

If you don't want to shoot them, get a super loud air horn and chase the ....ers whenever they come near your property!

The WIP Thread
Give feedback to others, and get some in return on your works in progress!

musical exploration - Check out my site.
check it out! [ SoundCloud ] [ YouTube Channel ][ Instagram ]

Looking for great strings for your ERG?
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sig...pic36618_2.gif
axxessdenied is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 09:03 AM   #6
The GAS Man

Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 105 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murdstone View Post
Get a pet wolf.
I think peacocks are wonderful, but this man gave the award winning piece of advice.

[Necris] 6:23 pm: "you will deal with the pork you recieve"
Adam Of Angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 09:12 AM   #7
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Or, a ferocious german shepherd, which is practically a wolf. He will guard your gear from theft too!

They are masters of disguise as well, hell mine even tried to blend in with the parrots.

Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 09:16 AM   #8
The GAS Man

Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 105 reviews

[Necris] 6:23 pm: "you will deal with the pork you recieve"
Adam Of Angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 09:18 AM   #9
H. Maddas

Pooluke41 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Pooluke41 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Pooluke41 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Pooluke41 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Pooluke41 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Pooluke41 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Pooluke41 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthdjentstic View Post
Or, a ferocious german shepherd, which is practically a wolf. He will guard your gear from theft too!

They are masters of disguise as well, hell mine even tried to blend in with the parrots.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...97958881_n.jpg
Excellent idea, we have five german shepards in our home and I've never seen any peacocks get in.
Furtive Glance likes this.

Member of the Injustice League with Jaake, BrainArt and -42

I am "The red marmalade", a super awesome crime fighter who's power involves throwing chunky marmalade into the eyes of orphans; blinding them and stopping them from becoming successful.

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.-Royal Tart Toter.
Pooluke41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 10:26 AM   #10
Sycamore Trees

Murdstone is a glorious beacon of lightMurdstone is a glorious beacon of lightMurdstone is a glorious beacon of light
For real though I think there's a device people put in their yards that emits a really high frequency sound that drives animals away.
Contact O4P.
ilyti, avenger and Metal_Webb like this.
Murdstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 10:38 AM   #11
aint no gahdam woman

nostealbucket is just really nicenostealbucket is just really nice
I have peacocks on my farm (I don't own them). They're assholes. Don't eat them. Peacock tastes like shit.
I've found an effective way of dealing with them would be: 1. A dog. It doesn't matter what kind. It just has to be moderately large. I have a black lab. Works all the time.
2. A simple airsoft gun. Unless its like 370 fps, it won't hurt them. It just freaks them out. They'll learn after a while.
3. Kill them. Breed foxes. Peacocks are a waste of space in the end.
ilyti and Eric Christian like this.
nostealbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 10:39 AM   #12
Giver of the Likes

Nile is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
For real though I think there's a device people put in their yards that emits a really high frequency sound that drives animals away.
Contact O4P.
This is probably the only reliable method without causing trouble.
Nimgoble likes this.

PUSSIES DON'T SIGN NEG REP.

Nile is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 11:07 AM   #13
Foolish Mortal

Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.

Someone had to.
ilyti, ZEBOV, Nimgoble and 1 others like this.

Revenge is a dish best served with nice biscuits.
Read the rules, fools!
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 04:15 PM   #14
Banned

ZEBOV is a name known to allZEBOV is a name known to allZEBOV is a name known to allZEBOV is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostealbucket View Post
Pee cock tastes like shit.
Fixed!
ZEBOV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 05:40 PM   #15
Some call me... Tim

Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.
Sounds like bulldogs worked for the previous tenant. Pick up a couple of your own. The peacock problem will go away, plus D'AAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

"We must not indulge in unfavorable views of mankind, since by doing it we make bad men believe they are no worse than others, and we teach the good that they are good in vain." - Walter Winchell

"Progressive music used to be about thinking outside the box, but now it's just about fitting as many notes inside the box as possible, and it bores me to tears." -Sol Niger 333 [paraphrased]

"It is important to be a Jedi." - Mika
Grand Moff Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 09:01 PM   #16
aint no gahdam woman

nostealbucket is just really nicenostealbucket is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEBOV View Post
Fixed!
Thanks for your concern... But I think thats ASS cock your talking about. And none of that prolapsed colon bullshit.
Everyone knows pee cock tastes like pee! Silly billy.
nostealbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 09:22 PM   #17
Lazy Ryebread Viking

ilyti is a name known to allilyti is a name known to allilyti is a name known to allilyti is a name known to all
Quote:
Contact O4P.
If a dog is not an option, this is probably your best choice.

Although I would like to add that it seems strange to me that all those places you called basically laughed at you. Not entirely professional.
ilyti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 08:28 AM   #18
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyti View Post
Although I would like to add that it seems strange to me that all those places you called basically laughed at you. Not entirely professional.
One of the people I talked to said there are several other flocks of peacocks around Portland so it wouldn't surprise me if they get lots of calls. I think everyone in the government is probably fatigued by the calls every week so its my perspective that they pretty much just think "here we go again"...
Unread 08-01-2012, 08:39 AM   #19
themuthaphukkindeath

highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
.... the po-leez, kill them all. That inconsiderate bitch will run out of money eventually.

EDIT: Says the vegan.

EDIT AGAIN: Seriously though, if they keep coming on your property and causing damage, call someone and get them to fine the shit out that dumbass lady. Her birds, her responsibility.
highlordmugfug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #20
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlordmugfug View Post
EDIT AGAIN: Seriously though, if they keep coming on your property and causing damage, call someone and get them to fine the shit out that dumbass lady. Her birds, her responsibility.

Thats just the thing. There is no "someone" to call. Every single law enforcement agency and government agency has basically ignored and brushed off my complaints about these birds. Apparently there are no State, County or City rules that apply to them.
Unread 08-01-2012, 06:24 PM   #21
Foolish Mortal

Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.
Then you must act...

Read the rules, fools!
Unread 08-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #22
Mid-Level Asshole

7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
I'd advize you to rise above. I dont know specifically what that means. It just sounds like some shit Martin Luther King would tell you and sounds richous dude.

I actually grew up next door to a farm, and had flocks of turkeys, peacocks, and guinee hens comming though my yard all the time when i was young. I actually thought it was ....ing awesome, but then again, they wernt ....ing any of my shit up.
Get some black cats(the firecrackers) and light a pack everytime they come around and scare the shit out of them.
Or one of those air horns.

Confront and Destroy!
7 Strings of Hate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 08:22 PM   #23
Bonitis.

Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I think it would be awesome to live around Peacocks personally (I'm a crazy bird person myself though).

Here's a papmphlet about dealing with peacocks

http://www.ci.arcadia.ca.us/docs/pea...bsite._pdf.pdf
From another source on the internet.
Quote:
We have peacocks in our neighborhood in Titusville, who have been there for more than 20 years -- long before any of our homes. They deserve to remain there and live peacefully. Besides, they make good watch 'dogs', and they eat bugs and snakes.

A few tips for peaceful co-existence:

1. DO NOT feed peafowl in your yard!
You might think that you are helping them, but you are setting them up for disaster. Your neighbors, or next homeowners to your home, might not tolerate their hanging around and take drastic steps to remove them.(If Animal Services removes them, they will kill them.) Most neighborhoods have plenty of natural food for the birds, who will graze through your yard naturally.

2. Pecking Cars: The birds are not pecking your car, they are investigating the other peacock that _they_ see (themselves) in the reflection of your car.
A. Place a car cover or an old fitted sheet over your car to eliminate the reflection.(Cover will have added benefits, as well.)
B. Place a mirror -- such as inexpensive full-length mirror you can buy at any discount store or thrift shop -- in a wooded area away from your house. They will prefer that and provide you with lots of laughs.
C. Strategically place a motion-sensor sprinkler device (such as the Scarecrow from Contech - Contech Products - Contech Enterprises Inc. ) near your car.

3. Keeping peacocks (and cats, dogs, deer, rabbits) out of yard/garden:
A. Do not keep pet food, wild birdseed, or squirrel food outside.(This will keep raccoons away, as well.)
B. Strategically place a motion-sensor sprinkler device (such as the Scarecrow from Contech - Contech Products - Contech Enterprises Inc. ) in your yard/garden.
C. String fishing line (monofilament) around sensitive areas of the yard.
D. Place a mirror in wooded area away from your house.

4. Keep peacocks from eating your plants and flowers:
Peacocks eat lots of things that you probably don't want around your house (cockroaches, other insects, snakes -- especially rattle snakes).
A. Plant flowers that they don't like instead. See the City of Arcadia, CA, brochure about peacocks for a list of flower/plant DOs and DON'Ts: http://www.ci.arcadia.ca.us/docs/peacock_pamp...

4. The noise!
Peafowl, mostly peacocks, are quite vocal and more sensitive to disturbances during mating season (spring). Buy earplugs and enjoy the plumage show!

The City of Arcadiar brochure is a great source for general information about peacocks and tips for peacefully co-existing with them.

Respect wildlife...they have natural rights too.

Good luck with them.
Nimgoble likes this.

Extreme Syncopation =/= Poly-rhythmic

Necris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #24
Foolish Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaios View Post
FRACK! Joke ruined by hotlinking protection.

I'll try again...

Then you must act...

Read the rules, fools!
Unread 08-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #25
Banned

ZEBOV is a name known to allZEBOV is a name known to allZEBOV is a name known to allZEBOV is a name known to all
Hehe... peacocks.
Necris likes this.
ZEBOV is offline   Reply With Quote