homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Off-Topic
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Off-Topic All non guitar/music related discussion here. Keep things work-safe.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Xaios

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-14-2012, 11:12 PM   #1
In the Void

Heyitstahtoneguy is headed in the right direction.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Desktop to laptop Display

What i want to do, if its possible, is use my laptop as a bypass. Meaning I want to connect by desktop to my laptop, to use its screen as a monitor. Im not trying to transfer files or combine them, just simply make it to where the laptop screen is my monitor, and maybe be able to use the keyboard. Im just wondering if its possible, as I have little room for adding a separate monitor, so im just trying to save space. Any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks guys!
Heyitstahtoneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-14-2012, 11:18 PM   #2
MFB
ExBendable

MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I know I've connected my laptop to my TV using an HDMI adaptor, and my desktop to my TV using a VGA cable, but you'd have to see which kind of connections your computer has. What ports are available?

(・ω・`)

In space, no one can hear you bree. - Metal Ken
MFB is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 11:28 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

flint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Not possible any monitor type jack on your laptop is for output only. (unless yours is just different than most mass produced laptops that is)

"In Djod We Trust"

flint757 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
Jordan

Jordan Djenital Warts will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint757 View Post
Not possible any monitor type jack on your laptop is for output only. (unless yours is just different than most mass produced laptops that is)
This.

Unless you completely remove the screen from the laptop and fashion your own power adaptor and rewire the display for a VGA input.

You'd be better off just buying a monitor dude
Jordan Djenital Warts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 07:57 AM   #5
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
^ Yup.

Unless I'm mistaken, I think Macs can do this though? Or at least, they do something I thought was pretty cool. Though I think it may be functioning as an external HDD..not monitor.
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/

BlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud of
Do what I did for the first year of owning a computer and use your tv as a monitor. A 32" CRT for counter strike back in the day was always fun.

"Metal is for Vikings; if you're not a Viking, get off the boat." - The Beard

"He doesn't even like Metallica, that's how metal he is." - My friend describing my musical tastes to her friends.
BlackMastodon is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
Foolish Mortal

Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.
There's one possibility, but it's unlikely.

If you have the "Pro" SKU of any version of Windows since XP, you can set up Remote Desktop, run it over a network, and connect to the remote desktop from your laptop on the same network. You would even be able to use the laptop keyboard that way.
Lagtastic and flint757 like this.

Revenge is a dish best served with nice biscuits.
Read the rules, fools!
Xaios is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #8
PC rig poster boy

JPhoenix19 is a splendid one to beholdJPhoenix19 is a splendid one to beholdJPhoenix19 is a splendid one to beholdJPhoenix19 is a splendid one to beholdJPhoenix19 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
There's kits out there that include circuit boards with power supplies and video I/O so you can use your laptop's screen as a monitor. It requires removing the screen, though.

Ask enough questions, and you can answer anything.
JPhoenix19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 05:42 PM   #9
SS.org Regular

flint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Which isn't the easiest thing to do without seriously ....ing something up. I've taken laptops apart before and needless to say I had a hard time getting it back together. That and if I recall correctly the screen required quite a few things to come off before it would. just buy a cheap monitor.

"In Djod We Trust"

flint757 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 05:59 PM   #10
PC rig poster boy

JPhoenix19 is a splendid one to beholdJPhoenix19 is a splendid one to beholdJPhoenix19 is a splendid one to beholdJPhoenix19 is a splendid one to beholdJPhoenix19 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint757 View Post
Which isn't the easiest thing to do without seriously ....ing something up. I've taken laptops apart before and needless to say I had a hard time getting it back together. That and if I recall correctly the screen required quite a few things to come off before it would. just buy a cheap monitor.

Ask enough questions, and you can answer anything.
JPhoenix19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #11
In the Void

Heyitstahtoneguy is headed in the right direction.
Thanks gentlemen, nah i already went out and got a new monitor, now where to put it is the question haha. Just trying to give my baby one last chance before donating it!
Heyitstahtoneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 04:04 AM   #12
Jessofperdition

tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.tacotiklah is the epitome of metal.
I second getting a 32" tv and hdmi adapter. I use this in tandem with a wireless keyboard and mouse for the ultimate in gaming. Skyrim is pretty epic with this setup.

Not sure how to interact with transgender people? Read this:
http://tranifesto.com/transgender-fa...-trans-people/
Check out my soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jessica-macarthur

"I have an easier time taking BabyMetal seriously than the vast majority of death and black metal that gets posted here." -wat

"You can fuck anything....how do you think evolution happened?" - mcd
tacotiklah is offline   Reply With Quote