homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Off-Topic
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Off-Topic All non guitar/music related discussion here. Keep things work-safe.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-14-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

x666charlie666x is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Having a gap year in australia next year, suggestions needed!

Basically im planning a gap year in Australia next year, approx starting next September, however i have never been to Australia and i have no idea what to see and where to go, my initial plan is two months in Perth, two months in Sydney and two months in Melbourne, the other 6 months i have not decided upon as i want the year to be fairly flexible so i can do what i want as and when i want. What do you guys recommend? Bare in mind that i will also have to work wherever i go.

One dilemma im having is how is the job market over there as im going to be obtaining the working holiday visa which allows me to have casual work, but no longer than 6 months with one employer, are there plenty of jobs around? ive checked the Australian gumtree and loads of backpacker job websites but i just wanted either a locals perspective or current/previous backpackers perspective.

Also as this is a music based forum, what can i do/see regarding the Australian music scene? bare in mind it has to be relatively cheap, 12 months without my guitars is going to be difficult but if i can see some decent Aussie bands then i'd be happy.

'Get some speakers to experiment with, or some cables, booze, drugs, guitars...you know, musician stuff that can actually effect your tone.' Moolaka
x666charlie666x is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
Doc McStuffins

USMarine75 is a name known to allUSMarine75 is a name known to allUSMarine75 is a name known to allUSMarine75 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'll pay you to go to Queensland and get Dan at Oni guitars to make me one!!!

I'm a loverÖ Not a fighter... But I'm also a fighter, so donít get any ideas.
USMarine75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

deal
USMarine75 likes this.

'Get some speakers to experiment with, or some cables, booze, drugs, guitars...you know, musician stuff that can actually effect your tone.' Moolaka
Unread 06-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
Fapping to J-rock

Murmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Be prepared that you could die at almost any time. Because everything in Australia is big and aggressive, or venomous as .....

USMarine75 and trianglebutt like this.

Schecters don't have baseball bat necks.
Get the .... over it.

"I think this mistake was the equivalent of a 6000 foot tall cock bukkake tsunami-ing Tokyo." -metallisuk

Shono, forever and always.
Murmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody_Inferno View Post
Melbourne.

You're welcome.
what can i do/see in melbourne? anything that a local can recommend?

Unread 06-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #7
ss.org Irregular

Nonservium is a glorious beacon of lightNonservium is a glorious beacon of lightNonservium is a glorious beacon of light
Better take some Raid.

Deadnightshade likes this.
Nonservium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #8
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I would be careful, remember, you brits shipped prisoners there for a reason.
CYBERSYN likes this.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 07:35 PM   #9
sweet little lolita.

Brill is a jewel in the rough
If you're lookoing for music based stuff, the country towns have a lot of music, But its mostly shit.

Job wise its a bit hard to get a decent job where i live, or any job for that matter, but its probably different in the city.

there is nothing really intresting in Australia... just a lot of hot weather, and Beer.. Not to much Metal music. Also perpare for a lot of swearing, we say .... a lot
Brill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 07:38 PM   #10
Needs more strings

Metal_Webb is a glorious beacon of lightMetal_Webb is a glorious beacon of lightMetal_Webb is a glorious beacon of light
See, it's funny, but if we went around giving other countries all this sort of flak, we'd be called racist

As for what to do in Australia? Well there's plenty of jobs. When it gets time to harvest the farmers love backpackers. You pretty much go and pick fruit for a few weeks. That lets you see the more "rural" parts of the country.

As for music scene, your best bets would be Sydney and Melbourne. Pretty much any bigger band doing a tour will stop by there and due to the population density there's always shows happening.

"By the way, melted binding looks like marshmallow. But it really doesn't taste like it." - MapleLeaf97
Metal_Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 07:38 PM   #11
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loxodrome View Post
If you're lookoing for music based stuff, the country towns have a lot of music, But its mostly shit.

Job wise its a bit hard to get a decent job where i live, or any job for that matter, but its probably different in the city.

there is nothing really intresting in Australia... just a lot of hot weather, and Beer.. Not to much Metal music. Also perpare for a lot of swearing, we say .... a lot
cheers guys for your replies,

im just looking to see whether there's ample amounts of bar work/retail work available, if there is then happy days but if not then it might make me reconsider to length of the trip.

i can imagine alot of shitty rock bands, i cant imagine the small towns have djent gigs going on hah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal_Webb View Post
See, it's funny, but if we went around giving other countries all this sort of flak, we'd be called racist

As for what to do in Australia? Well there's plenty of jobs. When it gets time to harvest the farmers love backpackers. You pretty much go and pick fruit for a few weeks. That lets you see the more "rural" parts of the country.

As for music scene, your best bets would be Sydney and Melbourne. Pretty much any bigger band doing a tour will stop by there and due to the population density there's always shows happening.
all the information on the internet regarding backpacker work states that fruit picking is popular in regards to short term work, i would kind of see it as last resort as i can imagine it being very shitty, hot weather, mammoth spiders, long hours, but the pay is good considering it is fruit picking, i read something like 15 dollars an hour?

Unread 06-14-2012, 07:41 PM   #12
SS.org Regular

double post

Unread 06-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #13
Needs more strings

Metal_Webb is a glorious beacon of lightMetal_Webb is a glorious beacon of lightMetal_Webb is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by x666charlie666x View Post
cheers guys for your replies,

all the information on the internet regarding backpacker work states that fruit picking is popular in regards to short term work, i would kind of see it as last resort as i can imagine it being very shitty, hot weather, mammoth spiders, long hours, but the pay is good considering it is fruit picking, i read something like 15 dollars an hour?
Well $15 an hour here is like minimum casual wage rate for a 16 year old Any bar work you get would probably be in excess of $22/h.

"By the way, melted binding looks like marshmallow. But it really doesn't taste like it." - MapleLeaf97
Metal_Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #14
ss.org Irregular

Nonservium is a glorious beacon of lightNonservium is a glorious beacon of lightNonservium is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Nonservium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 08:53 PM   #15
Dr Djodson

xCaptainx is a name known to allxCaptainx is a name known to allxCaptainx is a name known to allxCaptainx is a name known to all
Perth?!?! its in the middle of nowhere and pretty boring. Don't waste your time there unless you want to make a lot of money doing mine work haha.

Stick to Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane. I'd pick Brisbane as it's in Queensland, the weather is great and you're a few hours away from Byron Bay!
xCaptainx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #16
Silence is Violence

Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.
Quote:
what can i do/see in melbourne? anything that a local can recommend?
Melbourne has arguably the richest music scene in the country. Sydney is pretty big to but I guess I'm a little biased.

As for employment, Metal_Webb has already covered most of the info. I know a fair bit of backpackers/couch surfers/student friends that don't mind the rural jobs. They always meet a heap of new friends because of it, and they've all enjoyed their experiences.

Quote:
i can imagine alot of shitty rock bands, i cant imagine the small towns have djent gigs going on hah.
Djent bands gig? I thought they just post play along vids of themselves in their bedrooms on youtube?

I kid I kid.
Bloody_Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #17
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Well it is true.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 04:59 AM   #18
SS.org Regular

Evil Weasel is just really niceEvil Weasel is just really nice
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
A couple of my gf's friends are in Melbourne at the moment. They are both qualified nurses on a gap year type thing and went through Asia (Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand etc) then to New Zealand and have been in Melbourne for a few months. They both found getting work quite easy. 1 of them works in an Irish pub (they are Irish btw ) and the other is doing some sort of work relating to mental health nursing, which is what they did in the UK before they left. So yeah jobs aren't a problem, they have had problems with the flat they rented though and report quite a bit of hostility from some locals (ie the 'dey took errrr jobs' - the kind of xenophobic racists who blame everything on people from different countries, but lets face it - those idiots exist everywhere).
Evil Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 05:02 AM   #19
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Well $15 an hour here is like minimum casual wage rate for a 16 year old Any bar work you get would probably be in excess of $22/h.
That is sick! I want to travel to Australia and pick fruit
EtherealEntity is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 05:29 AM   #20
SS.org Regular

in-pursuit is just really nicein-pursuit is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I'd recommend skipping Perth and going to Adelaide instead, unless you're looking at trying to get work in the mines like previously stated. there's not much of interest in Adelaide from what I've heard either, it's mostly a gigantic country town sort of. some very good bands from down that way though depending on what you like to listen to.

if you're only looking at being down this way for one of our summers, my recommendation would be to backpack from Sydney up the east coast once spring hits and just keep making your way north until you can't stand the heat anymore then duck back down south for Melbourne/Adelaide for the cooler months. we get a bit of snow in the more southern areas of the country during winter so if that's your thing you might like to stick around down south for that.

The entire east coast is more densely populated than the rest of the country especially Sydney and Melbourne so naturally there's a lot more city related benefits in those places, lots of bars/work/bands and venues. I don't know much about the fruitpicking circuit south of Bris but I've got a few friends who all agree there's a lot of fruit to be picked further north of Brisbane and as an added bonus it's probably one of the nicer stretches of land. lots of beaches, rainforests, and the quickly disappearing great barrier reef Airlie Beach is a bit of a backpacking mecca of sorts, a lot of foreigners congregate there and there are a lot of hostels and bars. if you haven't heard of it before I'd recommend you look it up.
Metal_Webb likes this.
in-pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #21
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by in-pursuit View Post
I'd recommend skipping Perth and going to Adelaide instead, unless you're looking at trying to get work in the mines like previously stated. there's not much of interest in Adelaide from what I've heard either, it's mostly a gigantic country town sort of. some very good bands from down that way though depending on what you like to listen to.

if you're only looking at being down this way for one of our summers, my recommendation would be to backpack from Sydney up the east coast once spring hits and just keep making your way north until you can't stand the heat anymore then duck back down south for Melbourne/Adelaide for the cooler months. we get a bit of snow in the more southern areas of the country during winter so if that's your thing you might like to stick around down south for that.

The entire east coast is more densely populated than the rest of the country especially Sydney and Melbourne so naturally there's a lot more city related benefits in those places, lots of bars/work/bands and venues. I don't know much about the fruitpicking circuit south of Bris but I've got a few friends who all agree there's a lot of fruit to be picked further north of Brisbane and as an added bonus it's probably one of the nicer stretches of land. lots of beaches, rainforests, and the quickly disappearing great barrier reef Airlie Beach is a bit of a backpacking mecca of sorts, a lot of foreigners congregate there and there are a lot of hostels and bars. if you haven't heard of it before I'd recommend you look it up.
thanks for everyones replies,

so if i start in september, i should start in sydney and then slowly work my way up as the winter for the south of australia is during june to august (im craving the sunshine )

i was thinking if i started in perth i could buy a car, then drive it across the south of australia and up the east coast, is that implausible or recommended? the idea of a car appeals to me and i heard that perth is the cheapest place to buy one, btw whats the insurance like for a standard car? would backpackers even be able to get insured for a reasonable rate? im used to paying about £900 a year for a 1.6 hatchback, all the insurance websites required me to call them and couldn't possibly deal with ringing them at 3am (my local time) during their business hours

Unread 06-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #22
SS.org Regular

couple more questions,

would i be able to ride a motorbike with a UK licence?

and if i was to emmigrate, could i change career after a certain amount of time to a career which isn't on the skilled work list? (for example, emmigrate as a welder, change career to police?)

Unread 06-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #23
Sir Roger Moore, KBE

Bungle is a glorious beacon of lightBungle is a glorious beacon of lightBungle is a glorious beacon of light
I'll just leave this here...

Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #24
Barely Tolerable

Black43 is a jewel in the rough
I live in Australia, so I can tell you everything's NOT venemous. Catch a Huntsman spider and raise him as you own.
Black43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #25
SSBRO.org regular

CYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I speak for Queensland here...

Heaps of backpackers come up this way for said fruit picking and farm type jobs.

If you do a trip from Byron Bay up the coast you WILL find work all the way to Cairns.

PM me when it gets closer and maybe I will have some work for you!

The Gold Coast has heaps of international workers as its a HUGE tourist destination. Childers, Bundaberg, Mackay and Rockhampton are kinda boring but have TONS of work.

Townsville and Cairns are like the Gold Coast of the north and are quite...interesting.

Queensland is rather friendly for Backpackers/Work.

OP, you will be heading here and I will be heading there in September.

Make a rule where, who ever messes up gets punched in the face.

That is how I run my solo project. - Floppystrings

O GREAT now your gonna tell me theres no Great Shred Doughnut,who delivers strings and picks to all the good shredders on yngwies birthday... - mr_rainmaker

Search this site by going to Google and adding site:sevenstring.org after your search word!
CYBERSYN is online now   Reply With Quote