homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Off-Topic
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Off-Topic All non guitar/music related discussion here. Keep things work-safe.

Like Tree76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-08-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
Ermahgerd!

rgaRyan is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My Apology

Not many of you probably will care, but I apologize for my somewhat rash behaviour a few weeks back regarding the comment I made about using a trialware program for free.

I was simply stating a fact and it was taken the wrong way by some. I'm sorry if I offended any of you. I did not intend for that to happen.

I hope you guys can understand this and give me a second chance. As a new guy to the forums and the site, I would really like to maintain my membership here and continue to learn more great things in the world of music.

Cheezy, maybe, but it's true. Thanks.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/signaturepics/sigpic39505_3.gif
My YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/RyanEnvy

Bands covered include Textures, Scale the Summit, KSE,
Red Seas Fire, August Burns Red, The Contortionist, As I Lay Dying, etc.
rgaRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
SS.org Regular

nojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Not familiar with the backstory, but takes a man to say this.
skeels and rgaRyan like this.

http://www.facebook.com/BristolGuitars | https://soundcloud.com/nojyeloot

"If anyone speaks badly of you, live so that no one believes it."[/FONT]

nojyeloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
Foolish Mortal

Xaios is deemed true by Crom himselfXaios is deemed true by Crom himselfXaios is deemed true by Crom himselfXaios is deemed true by Crom himselfXaios is deemed true by Crom himselfXaios is deemed true by Crom himselfXaios is deemed true by Crom himselfXaios is deemed true by Crom himselfXaios is deemed true by Crom himselfXaios is deemed true by Crom himselfXaios is deemed true by Crom himselfXaios is deemed true by Crom himself
Apologizing about it is big of you. Kudos.

I assume that, by now, you realize how seriously most of us take piracy. This forum has many aspiring musicians, some of whom both want to get paid for their work and produce music that is legitimately good enough that they deserve to be compensated if they want to be.

It's the same way for software. A lot of people put their hard work into creating, updating and maintaining Reaper. They even recognized that most people take exception to intrusive DRM and thus didn't include any in the software. And then on top of that, to further earn people's good will, they offered it for an *extremely* reasonable price.

In a nutshell, they did pretty much everything they possible could to give people good value. To know that people were still willing to use the software beyond the trial without paying for it is a slap in the face to them.

In the future, please bear in mind that the price charged for a product has nothing to do with how much you intend to use it. I can't go out and drive a car off the lot without paying by telling the car salesman that I plan to simply leave it sitting in my front yard. It's about compensating the people who put their lives into creating that product so that they can continue to make it better, as well as produce more product for us to enjoy.

Revenge is a dish best served with nice biscuits.
Read the rules, fools!
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
Ermahgerd!

Thanks guys.
nojyeloot likes this.

My YouTube Channel:

Unread 06-08-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

AxeHappy is a glorious beacon of lightAxeHappy is a glorious beacon of lightAxeHappy is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I too am not familiar with the back story but I can count the times I've seen somebody apologise online for anything on one hand.
AxeHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #6
Ermahgerd!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeHappy View Post
I too am not familiar with the back story but I can count the times I've seen somebody apologise online for anything on one hand.
I can't tell if that's a good thing or not... lol
I just felt that I insulted a portion of the community and though I don't personally know any of you, I still felt the need to apologize for my actions.
nojyeloot and AxeHappy like this.

My YouTube Channel:

Unread 06-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #7
SS.org Regular

AxeHappy is a glorious beacon of lightAxeHappy is a glorious beacon of lightAxeHappy is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
It's bad that most people think they can be douchey wankers online.

It's good that you apologised for things.
AxeHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 10:27 PM   #8
the "BFF"

TRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeHappy View Post
I've appologised before, but I make sure and hide it within a long post halfway down a page on an insignifigant thread .
No wait, there are no insignifigant threads on 7string, I'm sorry.
TRENCHLORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 10:30 PM   #9
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
nvm..
niffnoff and JosephAOI like this.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 11:14 PM   #10
Got a 7

Randyrhoads123 is a jewel in the rough
I really don't see what the problem is in the first place. Reaper is a program that Cockos offers a free trial to. It's the full program and the company offering it doesn't put a time limit on the trial. It would be one thing if someone pirated the software and used it without the company's permission, but that's not the case. The software is put out there for download for free by the company who makes it and some users are going to take advantage of that. It isn't stealing, it isn't file-sharing, is there really anything wrong with that? I do have a license for Reaper because I believe there actually were some limitations on saving/rendering files without one, but is it really wrong for someone to use it for free when they can?
Randyrhoads123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 11:17 PM   #11
http://bronymate.com

Don Vito is a splendid one to beholdDon Vito is a splendid one to beholdDon Vito is a splendid one to beholdDon Vito is a splendid one to beholdDon Vito is a splendid one to behold
*Waits for Randyrhoads123's apology thread*
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 11:46 PM   #12
Got a 7

Lolno. Mainly because I do not care about internet points/rep....

There are things online that offer a "pay-what-you-want" option like the Humble Bundle Indie Game packs, but that's not really the same thing. You get a bunch of games, all DRM-free, with no restricting factors. Reaper is a full $60 for a license, which is reasonable for a DAW software, but it's still a bit of road bump for some people. If the company allows for their software to be used past a trial period, then people are still going to use it. There's no use in getting mad about it, it's just an emotional appeal with no real value.

If I made an album of music and put it online for free on my website, with a 10 second clip at the beginning that told listeners how I appreciate them for listening yadayadayada, I would still expect most people to download it for free, with some paying a set amount of say $10. Why would I as the producer, be mad at someone or respect them less for downloading, if I put it out for free? Sure it'd be nice for everyone to buy it, but that's not how people work. It's a progressive business model, but I would fully expect most people to act in their own best interest, i.e. not paying.
Unread 06-09-2012, 08:36 AM   #13
Resident Cherokee

mr_rainmaker is a splendid one to beholdmr_rainmaker is a splendid one to beholdmr_rainmaker is a splendid one to beholdmr_rainmaker is a splendid one to beholdmr_rainmaker is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

I started out with Nothing,I still got some left...
mr_rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #14
Ermahgerd!

Randy, you think I did this for "points" and "rep"? Think again.
I'm an honest guy, and like I stated above, I felt the need to apologize to the community.

My YouTube Channel:

Unread 06-09-2012, 09:07 AM   #15
Baritone Funbags

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyrhoads123 View Post
but is it really wrong for someone to use it for free when they can?
No. If I'm thinking of the correct post in concern here, it wasn't the fact that the program was being used for free. Plenty of people have stated that they use / advised others about the 'free' status of Reaper and nobody has had a problem with them. It was the attitude of the post - I seem to remember it basically read as "Why should I pay them when they are being kind enough to let me try it free? They don't deserve money for their hard work as developers". That's how it read for me, at least.

+1 for the apology
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #16
SS.org Regular

bhakan is just really nicebhakan is just really nice
Quote:
I really don't see what the problem is in the first place. Reaper is a program that Cockos offers a free trial to. It's the full program and the company offering it doesn't put a time limit on the trial. It would be one thing if someone pirated the software and used it without the company's permission, but that's not the case. The software is put out there for download for free by the company who makes it and some users are going to take advantage of that. It isn't stealing, it isn't file-sharing, is there really anything wrong with that? I do have a license for Reaper because I believe there actually were some limitations on saving/rendering files without one, but is it really wrong for someone to use it for free when they can?
That's the key thing that is kind of wrong with your post. It is correct that the software doesn't shut off after 30 days, but it clearly states that you must buy a license after 30 days, so if you use it for longer than 30 days, you are using it illegally against the will of the company. Reaper is not put out for free, and using it without paying (after the initial thirty days) is pirating the software.

It is cool that rgaRyan apologized, I have a lot of respect for him now.
AxeHappy likes this.
bhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #17
Control The Sun

The Uncreator is just really niceThe Uncreator is just really nice
Level Up:

Respect Increased By 4!

Well done my friend

L A S C A I L L E 'S S H R O U D

Progressive Cosmic Death Metal

YouTube

Facebook
The Uncreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #18
Tears Are My Bidet

HeHasTheJazzHands is pretty damn metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is pretty damn metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is pretty damn metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is pretty damn metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is pretty damn metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is pretty damn metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is pretty damn metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is pretty damn metal.
At first, this thread gave me hope for humanity.

Then, once I read through it, I lost it.
HeHasTheJazzHands is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #19
Got a 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhakan View Post
That's the key thing that is kind of wrong with your post. It is correct that the software doesn't shut off after 30 days, but it clearly states that you must buy a license after 30 days, so if you use it for longer than 30 days, you are using it illegally against the will of the company. Reaper is not put out for free, and using it without paying (after the initial thirty days) is pirating the software.

It is cool that rgaRyan apologized, I have a lot of respect for him now.
If that were really a problem for them, they could disable the trial after 30 days like every other software in existence, save for WinRar/WinZip. Speaking of which, how many of you guys have legit paid copies of those? I'm going to go out on a limb and say none.
Unread 06-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #20
Mid-Level Asshole

7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
Ah! Who aint in a bad mood from time to time. No biggie. Stay and have some fun.

Confront and Destroy!
-7SoH
http://www.myspace.com/7stringsofhate
7 Strings of Hate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #21
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Quote:
If that were really a problem for them, they could disable the trial after 30 days like every other software in existence, save for WinRar/WinZip. Speaking of which, how many of you guys have legit paid copies of those? I'm going to go out on a limb and say none.
I do.
Unread 06-09-2012, 03:54 PM   #22
SS.org Regular

pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
I use Peazip. Open source FTW.
Metal_Webb likes this.
pink freud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2012, 04:02 PM   #23
no lack of headroom

Mordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Quote:
Well, when I used winrar, I was part of a corporate account that did pay for company-wide license.

However, now I use 7 zip, which is open source and intended to be distributed for free (but with an option to donate).

I think the basic gist of software piracy use can be summed up as follows: software businesses create software to make money. If you use that software, you pay for it, like any other product you use. If you don't pay for it, you should at least have the decency not to talk about it or advocate that others also steal the product.
VBCheeseGrater likes this.

Currently in progress of replacing every guitar I have...piece by piece

- "Unfortunately, our ability for rational thinking is inversely proportionate to our desire to stick our dicks into orifices." - pink freud

- "I don't have all the answers to everything, I'm not God, when I get girls pregnant they aren't virgins anymore." - scottro202
Mordacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #24
Banned

Yeah I use 7Zip too, its better anyways.
Unread 06-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #25
Foolish Mortal

Xaios is deemed true by Crom himselfXaios is deemed true by Crom himselfXaios is deemed true by Crom himselfXaios is deemed true by Crom himselfXaios is deemed true by Crom himselfXaios is deemed true by Crom himselfXaios is deemed true by Crom himselfXaios is deemed true by Crom himselfXaios is deemed true by Crom himselfXaios is deemed true by Crom himselfXaios is deemed true by Crom himselfXaios is deemed true by Crom himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthdjentstic View Post
I do.
As do I.

Revenge is a dish best served with nice biscuits.
Read the rules, fools!
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote