homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Off-Topic
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Off-Topic All non guitar/music related discussion here. Keep things work-safe.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #1
Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator

djpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 134 reviews
Adios eBay - New BS Rules

Recently tried to put up a few items on eBay and came across this BS where I got to now add a CC so that if there's a claim and there's no money in my bank or linked banked account I have to give eBay authorization to charge my CC.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/946678/

Looks like I'm no longer selling anything on eBay
mlp187 likes this.
djpharoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
Electrifying

Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
I've been avoiding them for a while, but I think its time we had the talk.

Got questions about anything I've said, done or do? How about pickups, tech, music production or just anything! Check here and ask away!

My project on Facebook: Rook

Click banner below to download my first E.P. for free or pay what you want:
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator

djpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnate
Yeah - this officially shuts down any future sale of items I have on eBay.
Unread 05-26-2012, 07:02 PM   #4
Stay Negative™

leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
This blows...

is the new black

RIP PETER STEELE

Music:
* www.soundclick.com/leandroabaurre
*www.soundcloud.com/leandroab

Guitar projects:

*Baritone 6 Conversion

Quotes:
* ''
I intend them to .... them with the long cock of the law." - Trashmanzac
* "
I think this mistake was the equivalent of a 6000 foot tall cock bukkake tsunami-ing Tokyo." - metallisuk
"I'm a big fan of the effects of alcohol." - Peter Steele
leandroab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
WTF. How about no, total bullshit. No clue what they're thinking. Time for a new Ebay methinks.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 08:10 AM   #6
Giggity

JP Universe is the epitome of metal.JP Universe is the epitome of metal.JP Universe is the epitome of metal.JP Universe is the epitome of metal.JP Universe is the epitome of metal.JP Universe is the epitome of metal.JP Universe is the epitome of metal.JP Universe is the epitome of metal.JP Universe is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Ebay just won't do any sellers any favours.... and it feels like it's just getting worse
JP Universe is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #7
Obviously!

Djent is a name known to allDjent is a name known to allDjent is a name known to allDjent is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I've avoided eBay ever since they put the whole "max bid" feature in. Kills the fun of trying to get your bid in before someone else.

formerly onetimeoneplace
Djent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #8
Smeller of Smells

SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Welp, on to Amazon. Been using them almost exclusively for a while now, good thing, too.
Demiurge and Scar Symmetry like this.

No signature because censored blah blah blah.
SenorDingDong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 11:04 AM   #9
\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/

BlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
^I much prefer Amazon, only problem is not being able to find everything on there.

"Metal is for Vikings; if you're not a Viking, get off the boat." - The Beard

"He doesn't even like Metallica, that's how metal he is." - My friend describing my musical tastes to her friends.
BlackMastodon is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #10
Ex Whiny Bitch

Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Amazon pwns. Stellar customer service too.
SenorDingDong likes this.

What happened to Jeff? Funny how he dropped off the radar now that the entire Western world disagrees with his right wing bullshit.
Scar Symmetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 11:07 AM   #11
Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
Welp, on to Amazon. Been using them almost exclusively for a while now, good thing, too.
Thing with Amazon is you need to be selling something they are also selling. When you go to set it up - they ask you for which product you are selling - if you can't find it then according to their rules you can't sell it. So if it's something older you want to sell you can't.
Unread 05-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #12
Smeller of Smells

SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMastodon View Post
^I much prefer Amazon, only problem is not being able to find everything on there.
When I can't find it on my Amazon, I can usually find it on the UK one. At least, for buying, that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar Symmetry View Post
Amazon pwns. Stellar customer service too.

Never had a single issue that they didn't solve immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpharoah View Post
Thing with Amazon is you need to be selling something they are also selling. When you go to set it up - they ask you for which product you are selling - if you can't find it then according to their rules you can't sell it. So if it's something older you want to sell you can't.

Yeah, that's definitely a draw back, especially for people with unique items.
Scar Symmetry likes this.

Unread 05-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #13
He seldomly knows...

Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djent View Post
I've avoided eBay ever since they put the whole "max bid" feature in. Kills the fun of trying to get your bid in before someone else.
I figure out my maximum bid, add a bit more (at least $2 beyond an obvious cut off point, in case someone chose that same cut-off), and only post that bid 7 seconds before the end of the auction... too late for a human operator to post a new bid and confirm it.

And then I shut the window and move on, only checking later to see if I won.

It's interesting how often this approach works, and it keeps me from upping my bid due to auction fever.

----

I've noticed that a lot of sellers only accept bids from people with 100% positive feedback. I would imagine that would cut down on eBay scammers who pull stunts after receiving the goods.

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about."

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #14
SS.org Regular

Ryan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of lightRyan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of lightRyan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of light
There's a massive thread in the eBay community section which basically outlines the user's interpretation of eBay's corporate strategy;

The Rumour

Remove all non business sellers. The end.

eBay are trying to improve their brand image and non business sellers or 2nd hand items are slowly being eliminated. Potentially it would make it a better market place for Chinese warehoused goods.

Scammers aid this as they push out bitter small time sellers, so increasing refund accesibility and service aids the agenda.

It's no conspiracy, it's better business.

^ Durp

Have fun looking up the stories of business account shill bidding. eBay make a fortune from fees on it. Bid tracking tools have confirmed it is taking place to guarantee minimum sale prices on auctions, saving sellers on increased prices for buy it now and luring in unsuspecting bidders.

eBay conspiracies are quite good fun so take a look if you have some time on your hands.
Ryan-ZenGtr- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 01:27 PM   #15
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
I don't get it guys, what's the problem here?
It's protecting you as a buyer from scammers who run away from refunds - that's the main intention.

As a seller - what problem do you have with giving your CC details? I presume most of you purchase things online regularly from other websites using your credit card details.
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #16
Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealEntity View Post
I don't get it guys, what's the problem here?
It's protecting you as a buyer from scammers who run away from refunds - that's the main intention.

As a seller - what problem do you have with giving your CC details? I presume most of you purchase things online regularly from other websites using your credit card details.
The issue becomes when you're the seller not the buyer. Ebay has gone soo far into the buyer side of things that now selling on there has become more of playing a dice game and hoping the person who buys your item is honest and will not bone you. Otherwise they can say this guitar wasn't as described and eBay will side with them.
Unread 05-27-2012, 01:58 PM   #17
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
I was taking the viewpoint that the issue was already there - but I do suppose sellers were safe from it providing they didn't keep money in their Paypal accounts.
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #18
Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealEntity View Post
I was taking the viewpoint that the issue was already there - but I do suppose sellers were safe from it providing they didn't keep money in their Paypal accounts.
Nope - eBay can go in and charge your linked CC via PayPal or your reimbursement method which is also a CC/paypal. If that doesn't work they can go into your bank account linked and grab the cash.
Unread 05-28-2012, 07:39 AM   #19
SS.org Regular

snowblind56 has much to be proud ofsnowblind56 has much to be proud ofsnowblind56 has much to be proud ofsnowblind56 has much to be proud ofsnowblind56 has much to be proud ofsnowblind56 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
This thread on the Gear Page outlines it quite well why it sucks to be a small seller on ebay.

Ebay / Paypal Scam Update - The Gear Page

Basically, if you want to scam someone, all you have to do is pay via paypal with your credit card and then file a chargeback with your credit card. The credit card company will yank the money back from paypal and it is apparently fairly hard to fight.

Also, I am waiting for some brave lawyer to file a massive lawsuit against ebay/paypal. It wouldn't be hard to argue that their newer practice's facilitate fraud.
snowblind56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #20
Coffee Cups?

Location: A place with stuff and things and people. Just kidding. Pennsylvania doesn't have all that.
SkapocalypseNow is a jewel in the rough
I only relatively recently started using eBay as a business sales tool, but I don't even HAVE a credit card to put on file as is. Was nice while it lasted though.

I recommend looking into Bonanza a bit though -- much lower fees, and you can import feedback from eBay, there's just not quite as much exposure.

▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

Do you see some of those big imposing Securitrons with their lovely laser guns and rocket launchers and scary faces? I am not one of those.

(That's a link, by the way.)
SkapocalypseNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 12:37 AM   #21
Dr.Poopyalligator

poopyalligator is a splendid one to beholdpoopyalligator is a splendid one to beholdpoopyalligator is a splendid one to beholdpoopyalligator is a splendid one to beholdpoopyalligator is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I just hate the fact that there is pretty much no protection for the seller. They do everything for the buyer, and pretty much anybody can dispute anything, and they always go with the buyer. I honestly think that with all of the rules they are setting, it is going to get to the point to where the individual seller who doesnt have an internet business will just die off. Then there will be no more interesting items anymore. It wont be that place where you can get one of a kind items anymore. On the other hand, I dont know of anywhere else where I can sell a 18,000 piece puzzle to anybody lol.

My main setup:
Ibanez uv7bk green dot, Engl fireball 60, genz benz g flex 2x12.
poopyalligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 01:56 AM   #22
SS.org Regular

athawulf is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Yep when I bought my VHT 2/90/2 the seller tells me the payment is still pending even though paypal showed the transaction as completed.

A call to paypal later determined that he wasn't trying to scam me, paypal just held the $900 for buyer protection until I either left him positive feedback or a provided tracking number showed as delivered. Dude was an honest guy with 100% positive feedback.

All it would have taken to be a giant dick was never leave feedback.

athawulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 03:39 AM   #23
Mike / Made Of Hate

Crank is a jewel in the rough
if I get it right, it seems that buyer can scam quite easily these days. All one needs to do is not to leave a feedback neither provide a tracking number. That's just crazy and wrong. As much as some people are odd now we can expect some more weird and nervous situations. Too bad that eBay is the biggest and most recognizable auction service in the Internet. Good thing though that we have this forum and there are others as such, so we can avoid some of the regulations to undergo our agenda of buying/selling gear without much trouble and additional fees.
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 07:08 AM   #24
SS.org Regular

snowblind56 has much to be proud ofsnowblind56 has much to be proud ofsnowblind56 has much to be proud ofsnowblind56 has much to be proud ofsnowblind56 has much to be proud ofsnowblind56 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by athawulf View Post
Yep when I bought my VHT 2/90/2 the seller tells me the payment is still pending even though paypal showed the transaction as completed.

A call to paypal later determined that he wasn't trying to scam me, paypal just held the $900 for buyer protection until I either left him positive feedback or a provided tracking number showed as delivered. Dude was an honest guy with 100% positive feedback.

All it would have taken to be a giant dick was never leave feedback.
What's weird, at least for me, is that barely anybody every leaves me feedback. I would say that under 50% leave me feedback in the past year. I have no idea why.

That being said, I would be pretty unhappy if they held my funds until someone left feedback.
snowblind56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 08:15 AM   #25
Smeller of Smells

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowblind56 View Post
What's weird, at least for me, is that barely anybody every leaves me feedback. I would say that under 50% leave me feedback in the past year. I have no idea why.

That being said, I would be pretty unhappy if they held my funds until someone left feedback.
They don't hold it until feedback (I've had at least eight or nine buyers not leave me feedback for reasons unknown to me) just until a certain window of time closes if they don't.