homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Off-Topic
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Off-Topic All non guitar/music related discussion here. Keep things work-safe.

Like Tree60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-09-2012, 09:28 PM   #1
SIGN YO REP

Captain Shoggoth is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Existentialism-Mind..../philosophical content.

I'm a pretty relaxed person, but this puts in literal panic attack every time I ponder it. Hell, it's the reason I got out of bed at 3am to make this thread-I couldn't sleep.

I don't know what frightens me more-the notion of existing forever in some shape or form, for an infinite amount of time-or the notion of nonexistence, that when I die-or at some point after that-I'll cease to exist and everything will cease. I don't know if any of you guys think about this but I truly do find both ideas horrifying.

I'm incredibly jealous of religious people for their faith in an ordered system that essentially tells them that things will turn out okay and they will understand-I truly am-but as someone who can't believe in any religion, on the basis that I cannot fundamentally testify as to their veracity (truthfulness), I am left without such respite.

The scariest part is that by virtue of existing, by being here, I will face this someday. Everybody will. It's either one or the other.

Sorry for the long rant, but I had to get this off my chest. Does this bother anyone else?
mlp187 likes this.

<a href=http://i54.tinypic.com/687f5f.jpg target=_blank>http://i54.tinypic.com/687f5f.jpg</a>

"we could package a couple turds inside the guitar, so it'd smell like shit all the time"-dean guitars

"She's a girl. It could mean ANYTHING."-Konfyouzd
Captain Shoggoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-09-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
Born on a Monday

Gothic Headhunter is just really niceGothic Headhunter is just really nice
Cheer up, I'm sure you'll be ready for it when it happens. I've pondered this myself, and I found it best to just to cross that bridge when you come to it.
Captain Shoggoth likes this.
Gothic Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
Rainbow In The Dark

Origin is just really niceOrigin is just really nice
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
It's kept me up many nights, and I came to the conclusion that if I can't know, it's okay not to know. Make life good for yourself and others around you, and face what lies ahead of us (whatever the .... it might be ) with open eyes and arms. Sounds retarded, but it gets me through the day.
The lack of a defined empirical purpose to life fills me with purpose by virtue of its own ambiguity; believing in and doing what you want, 'life is what you make it,' etc. Very wishy-washy but it's hard for me to put it in words since it all seems so redundant. Basically, we're all in the same boat, so even if you worry, don't worry too much.

Praise the sun!
Origin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 06:31 AM   #4
Intrepid Jackass

Demiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Shoggoth View Post

I'm incredibly jealous of religious people for their faith in an ordered system that essentially tells them that things will turn out okay and they will understand-I truly am-but as someone who can't believe in any religion, on the basis that I cannot fundamentally testify as to their veracity (truthfulness), I am left without such respite.
Even considering the afterlife, there is still a decent amount of mind....ery involved. Let's say that you believe in heaven/hell- okay, you died and find yourself in heaven/hell... so, now what? That's supposed to be for eternity, too, what are you going to do with your time?

Perhaps one could propose that whatever afterlife would be, that the form you take there is one that is of a consciousness no longer aware of the passage of time... but that's kind of a mind.... of its own because since time is a big part of our behavior and understanding of things.

Reincarnation? The "amnesia" at the onset every new incarnation would disrupt any continuity of consciousness- so it's not really your identity anymore, your ghost is simply being recycled, and again the mind.... is the consideration of what "you" are in multiple types of lives.

"I like Christian rock. It's very positive. It's not like those real musicians who think they're so cool and hip." -George Costanza
Demiurge is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 06:41 AM   #5
Pretty Your Petunia

brutalwizard is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/brutalwizard is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/brutalwizard is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/brutalwizard is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/brutalwizard is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/brutalwizard is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/brutalwizard is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I just assume I will be spiritually reborn in some sort of pokemon dimension, and that my body belongs to uncle earth.

Check out my band

Facebook.come/forsythiaofficial

My youtube
youtube.com/therealgtarbeast666

I don't think that we ever thought of it as the equivalent of music, as the end-goal was to buy more in-game slut clothes-- schecterwhore on rock band

Im a super chill mellow ambient slut. --7 STRINGS OF HATE
brutalwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 07:51 AM   #6
Playing guitar.

Faine is a splendid one to beholdFaine is a splendid one to beholdFaine is a splendid one to beholdFaine is a splendid one to beholdFaine is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I would hope there was such thing as reincarnation honestly. But not have a memory of my previous life ( like remembering family friends whatever) but being able to see the development of the human race and technology, architecture, transportation systems, space development/civilizations. etc. I'd love to see the future. No one can ever pin point the exact moment where they were conscious of living as a baby. Before you knew it POOF you were alive. So who knows? Maybe we've already lived before. Don't think well ever know.
Faine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
Wound tight

Nimgoble is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I experience this sometimes, as well. I wasn't too bothered by my non-existence before my birth. I doubt I'll mind it very much when I die. It's the transition that worries me. I just try to remember that it's a part of life; An eventuality. It gets tough when you have a kid, though, and you find yourself loving something so much that the thought of eventually parting with it forever registers somewhere far beyond normal fear.

Were I to fantasize, I'd like for there to be an afterlife in which all of existence(and its history) is open to us for viewing. The ability to form our own universes/existences/whatever would be nice. An imagination sandbox. And the ability to interact with those of other entities.
Nimgoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
love & peace!

Cyntex is just really niceCyntex is just really nice
I find the idea of "living" forever in one way or form to be more terrifying then the idea of complete non-existance when I die. The idea of being non-existant is a bit more comforting to me. This life we already live in is a challenge enough imo.

I wouldnt want to reincarnate as a human tommorow should I die today, rather I just want to live long enough to have lived a decent and interesting life.

I want to get a vending machine, with fun sized candy bars, and the glass in front is a magnifying glass. You'll be mad, but it will be too late.
Cyntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #9
Control The Sun

The Uncreator is just really niceThe Uncreator is just really nice
Eternity seems unpleasant, I would conquer every art form possible, from guitar, to painting, to master cinematography etc. I would have no vehicle to express myself other than the sheer perpetuation of my existence. The finite quality of life is what give it any meaning at all, the notion of eternity severely inhibits this to me.

In my head, when I die, my body rots. And much like energy and how it can only be transformed into another form, the molecules of skin are picked up by the air and cover the Earth, the soil devours my bones and organs. My brain is consumed by a great and magnificent planet floating in a near infinite and beautiful void called The Universe. In the most miniscule way I am now returning to where I came from. And even though death brings me this comfort, It also gives me the drive to enjoy the life I have as a human.
lava, Mexi and Captain Shoggoth like this.

L A S C A I L L E 'S S H R O U D

Progressive Cosmic Death Metal

YouTube

Facebook
The Uncreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #10
SS.org Regular

Nyx Erebos is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Uncreator View Post
In my head, when I die, my body rots. And much like energy and how it can only be transformed into another form, the molecules of skin are picked up by the air and cover the Earth, the soil devours my bones and organs. My brain is consumed by a great and magnificent planet floating in a near infinite and beautiful void called The Universe. In the most miniscule way I am now returning to where I came from. And even though death brings me this comfort, It also gives me the drive to enjoy the life I have as a human.
WOW insane lyrics we have here .

I questionned myself about death and non existence quite young and I have never changed my mind about it : I can't avoid the disappearing of my consciousness but I can bloom in living the way I want and at the end, cross the Acheron with the Hades for last destination.

Sorry I love greek mythology .
Nyx Erebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 10:18 PM   #11
Lazy Ryebread Viking

ilyti is a name known to allilyti is a name known to allilyti is a name known to allilyti is a name known to all
"If it's any consolation, I believe that when you die, you get to come back as anything you want. I'd be a butterfly!"
ilyti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #12
Уродливый, но честны

JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
"I'll see you in another life." "When we are both cats."

The first time I realized what it is to die, I was 9 years old, sitting in a fishing boat out in the middle of Charleston lake in Ontario with my dad. It scared the shit out of me then, and it scares the shit out of me now. As the years have gone by, though, I've grown to accept it little by little.

This great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves

moments before the wind
JeffFromMtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #13
/)'3'(\

ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.
I like to think that the idea of death and living forever is only a thought because we think we will. The incredible thing is that no one knows what happens when you die, and I doubt we ever will.

Ride the wings of death!

"Seriously... You DO NOT headbang with your knees" Murmel

ittoa666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 12:23 AM   #14
Theory God

Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
"Philip asked himself desperately what was the use of living at all. It all seemed inane. It was the same with Cronshaw: it was quite unimportant that he had lived; he was dead and forgotten, his book of poems sold in remainder by second-hand booksellers; his life seemed to have served nothing except to give a pushing journalist occasion to write an article in a review. And Philip cried out in his soul:

'What is the use of it?'

The effort was so incommensurate with the result. The bright hopes of youth had to be paid for at such a bitter price of disillusionment. Pain and disease and unhappiness weighed down the scale so heavily. What did it all mean? He thought of his own life, the high hopes with which he had entered upon it, the limitations which his body forced upon him, his friendlessness, and the lack of affection which had surrounded his youth. He did not know that he had ever done anything but what seemed best to do, and what a cropper he had come! Other men, with no more advantages than he, succeeded, and others again, with many more, failed. It seemed pure chance. The rain fell alike upon the just and upon the unjust, and for nothing was there a why and a wherefore."

- W. Somerset Maugham, Of Human Bondage
Demiurge and Captain Shoggoth like this.

Skype theory lessons. PM me.
Mr. Big Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 03:59 AM   #15
SS.org Regular

Ryan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of lightRyan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of lightRyan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of light
My favourite part of this discussion is; all the experts in this field are dead.

(^ you have to be to know anything useful)

So how do people prophet(!) from this?

(sorry, it was too obvious any philosophical school could fit in here)
Ryan-ZenGtr- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 07:49 PM   #16
He seldomly knows...

Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I've been present at the deaths of quite a few family members, and have personally loaded at least three (immediate family) onto that tray which goes into the crematorium oven.

I have worked on two people in unsuccessful resuscitation attempts, although I've also worked on more which were successful.

I've also cleaned/dressed a few animals.

I'm wondering if existential anxiety comes about because one manages to avoid exposure to those things which often get hidden in modern society. When my friends don't like to think about where the meat in the supermarket comes from, there is an obvious disconnection, and death in many societies is hidden in the same way.

----

Funny. Both sides of my family traditionally have the males dying (of various causes) at a fairly young age, and the women living very long. This came up talking with friends, and they were horrified that I was actually planning on what to get done before I get to that age (a little over a decade from now). "You mean you really think you're likely to die at that point? How do you sleep at night?!" *laugh*

I'm not saying that I'd be happy to go, but it would the moment I have been preparing for my entire life.

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about."

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #17
Gelatinous

lava is just really nicelava is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Shoggoth View Post
I'm a pretty relaxed person, but this puts in literal panic attack every time I ponder it. Hell, it's the reason I got out of bed at 3am to make this thread-I couldn't sleep.

I don't know what frightens me more-the notion of existing forever in some shape or form, for an infinite amount of time-or the notion of nonexistence, that when I die-or at some point after that-I'll cease to exist and everything will cease. I don't know if any of you guys think about this but I truly do find both ideas horrifying.

The scariest part is that by virtue of existing, by being here, I will face this someday. Everybody will. It's either one or the other.

Sorry for the long rant, but I had to get this off my chest. Does this bother anyone else?
Dude, don't worry about it. You're coming at this from way too human-centric a viewpoint. When you pass on to that next phase, it will feel as natural as any experience you've ever had, because it's totally natural! If you spend too much time worrying about this now, when you do feel yourself passing you'll say "shit! why did I waste so much time worrying about that when I could have been enjoying myself??"
lava is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 10:21 PM   #18
Gelatinous

lava is just really nicelava is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Uncreator View Post
Eternity seems unpleasant, I would conquer every art form possible, from guitar, to painting, to master cinematography etc. I would have no vehicle to express myself other than the sheer perpetuation of my existence. The finite quality of life is what give it any meaning at all, the notion of eternity severely inhibits this to me.

Excellent post. You and I are on the same wavelength. Dying isn't a loss of life, it's just a change in form.
lava is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 02:14 AM   #19
SS.org Regular

morrowcosom is a jewel in the rough
If I really had to pick I would rather pass on into non-existence than become a toilet bowl.

Really though, do you plan on dying soon? You will never know what happens to you post-mortem until it does, and therefore you do not know if there is anything you can do about it (go to church, sacrifice virgins, go to mosque).

You could take a stab at being religious for insurance, but it seems it would be ineffective unless you really believe in it/or god is a cruel god that demands worship.

There is no reason to worry about your afterlife state if feel you REALLY cannot change it. It is going to happen regardless.

Maybe OT, but I have seen many ghosts (one I stared in the eyes) throughout my life, so maybe your soul could manifest that way, or
maybe some bizarre natural phenomenon occurred at these times that affected my perception of reality.
morrowcosom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 08:23 AM   #20
Banned

engage757 is his own personal hero.engage757 is his own personal hero.engage757 is his own personal hero.engage757 is his own personal hero.engage757 is his own personal hero.engage757 is his own personal hero.engage757 is his own personal hero.engage757 is his own personal hero.engage757 is his own personal hero.engage757 is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyntex View Post
I find the idea of "living" forever in one way or form to be more terrifying then the idea of complete non-existance when I die. The idea of being non-existant is a bit more comforting to me. This life we already live in is a challenge enough imo.

I wouldnt want to reincarnate as a human tommorow should I die today, rather I just want to live long enough to have lived a decent and interesting life.

The only thing that makes it challenging is the constant amount of bullshit we put into it. Move to a tiny little mountain town, get a cabin in the woods, and slow your life down. Take out all the bullshit. Just exist. Be in this moment. We can't change the past, and the future is not here, therefore, it is irrelevant. BE HERE. In this moment, take a breath, and enjoy. Center yourself and commune with nature around you and people around you. Don't be so concerned with an afterlife that you forget this one.

my two cents.
engage757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 03:59 AM   #21
SS.org Regular

guitareben is a jewel in the rough
“I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”
― Mark Twain

Also, eternal life could well be one of the worst tortures ever invented... I mean, the first million years might be fun, but what about the million years after that, or the trillion years after that, or the eternity... ETERNITY, after that?

And some more Twain quotes :

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
― Mark Twain
guitareben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 06:58 AM   #22
Theory God

Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Regarding sayings and quotes like that, how realistic is it to "live fully"? I mean, come on, have a sense of consequence. At tops, I'll probably live my life at 80-90%, because I conserved my resources and lived at 40%- prior to that. Humanity lacks certainty, we try to compensate for that in various ways, and the result is that we carry obligations to our employers, our families, our insurance companies, our friends, our ideologies, and the list goes on. If your concern is to live life to its fullest, then you're just lining yourself up to be sorely disappointed. The universe is retardedly chaotic, I wouldn't count on it to give me any sort of results ever, so it makes far more sense to me to tread carefully until you know the confines of your own reality. I suppose that hedonism is more romantic than rationality, though.
Mr. Big Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #23
Smeller of Smells

SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
When I was young (age 6-11), I used to have a lot of death dreams, i.e. I died a lot in my dreams in horrible ways.

I would wake up in the middle of the night, mortified by the notion that some day I wouldn't wake up in the morning and have breakfast, or go read a book, or even take a shit when I had to because I would no longer be on this planet.

It came to the point where I would bawl to my mom about how I was afraid to die. It seemed so big then, and now it seems even bigger to me because, at that age, I was frightened of things in a way I shouldn't have known how to. I still have terrible nightmares very often, but I've sort of grown used to them.

I still find it hard to cope with the fact that one day I won't be here, will cease to exist. I still don't know what I believe in, but I don't think belief will change the fear. I just do everything I can to make my life at the moment count, and right now all that means to me is not giving up on working to write horror fiction full-time. I feel like if I don't give up on myself, I'll make it where I want to be, and in the end it'll make it that much easier to accept death when the time comes. After all, you live once, and if you waste that time stifling your dreams, you have a lot more to fear in the end because you look back and see what you missed out on.

No signature because censored blah blah blah.
SenorDingDong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #24
SS.org Regular

Vinchester is just really niceVinchester is just really nice
I used to think a lot about that as well.

But I came to the conclusion that life and death, our actions and reactions, and those series of fortune and tragedies are just a way of nature. Everything happened because of a cause. You might not like it but Justice/Happiness is a human concept, and Nature doesn't know them. Just leave it at that.

Not to say that we should not try to change anything of course. We should always do our best and try to be nice to each other, but when the inevitable comes, accept. It's beautiful enough as it is.

Carvin DC700 BKP Painkillers
ESP Eclipse I CTM FT w/ BKP Rebel Yells
ESP M-II w/ D-sonic/Air Norton
Jackson RR3 w/ EMG81/60
Vinchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 11:30 AM   #25
SS.org Regular

Ryan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of lightRyan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of lightRyan-ZenGtr- is a glorious beacon of light
Special moves for dreaming

If you get grief in your dreams all you have to do is bathe everything in white light. Move your toes if you want to wake up quickly. If you want to wake other people up quickly squeeze their ear lobes (funny in the right circumstances ).

If you get strange visitors in your dreams, first ask them what they are doing, who they are and why they're bothering you. If they say nothing hit them with a beam of light. Your morality may differ. Sweet dreams!

Keep a dream diary if your into that sort of thing and try to avoid negative content for the imagination (Hollywood, violence or horror). I'm sure there is a lot of reading available to add super powers to your dream experiences. Avoid anything with symbols.

It's funny, we spend most of our lives asleep and no one (/few) wonders why, what goes on or why it's important...

Lack of sleep is fatal (best excuse ever!)

Interestingly, there's an Italian family that have a genetic trait in the male line which causes the chemical which causes awakeness to overproduce causing terminal insomnia. After several months they unfortunately die.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_familial_insomnia

so, sleep = FTW!

We're all here to learn...

Other sources
Past life regressors (hypnotherapy/regression) offer some entertaining information, but I think it's breaking the "rules" to have a firm opinion about that, for instance; a person may not take their personal safety into proper account.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9wbr3A3k_Y
Ryan-ZenGtr- is offline   Reply With Quote