homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Off-Topic
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Off-Topic All non guitar/music related discussion here. Keep things work-safe.

Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By BlackMastodon
  • 3 Post By lava
  • 2 Post By Chickenhawk
  • 2 Post By avenger
  • 2 Post By Metal_Webb
  • 3 Post By flint757

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
Pretty Your Petunia

brutalwizard is shredding to new heights.brutalwizard is shredding to new heights.brutalwizard is shredding to new heights.brutalwizard is shredding to new heights.brutalwizard is shredding to new heights.brutalwizard is shredding to new heights.brutalwizard is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Electrical engineering, seems kinda interesting

Does anyone have a degree in this field, or studying for it?

I would love to know more about it, from a SSO personal standpoint.

thanks guys

Check out my band

Facebook.come/forsythiaofficial

My youtube
youtube.com/therealgtarbeast666

I don't think that we ever thought of it as the equivalent of music, as the end-goal was to buy more in-game slut clothes-- schecterwhore on rock band

Im a super chill mellow ambient slut. --7 STRINGS OF HATE
brutalwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/

BlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'm in my 3rd year right now, taking it at the University of Windsor in Ontario.
During the first year, you take all the same classes as the other engineering programs, this includes Differential and Integral calculus, linear algebra, some basic chemistry and some physics (static physics in first year, the electrical engineers didn't need to take dynamics in second year), an engineering design course, and 2 online English courses (lots of ESL's in the program, but it helps teach you how to write reports and stuff ). Unfortunately, during the second semester in 1st year electrical engineering students have to take an extra course on introductory circuit analysis which gives you a course load of 6 classes.

During second year and on, you no longer take classes with the other engineers as you immediately begin specializing in all courses revolving around electrical engineering. We did a class on digital logic design (which I thoroughly enjoyed, even if I'm still sloppy with multiplexors and encoders/decoders), and a class on C++ programing which was also kind of cool. Only thing that sucked about that class was having to program on paper for the exams, leaves a lot of room for errors when they don't get highlighted for you . Also took a course on operational amplifiers and more advanced circuit analysis, not to mention electromagnetic waves and particles. The most ridiculous class though was called Physical Electronics which went into the meat and potatoes of how electrons react in capacitors and transistors; the theory involved in this class, as well as the math, was pretty brutal. Also took a course on signals and systems which wasn't too bad. As for math, we took differential equations and vector calculus, both of which I didn't mind at all and did fairly well in though many consider them to be quite difficult.

In 3rd year so far we took more digital logic design (more difficult this time around, lot more to do with implementing different systems), a course on electromechanical systems which was about different types of motors and generators, another electronics course that focused on transistors, and an economics course which went from being a joke to being pretty serious business. I'm only half way through the 3rd year as of now, starting the next semester in May.

Hope this helps, if you need any more info just let me know, I still have all my lecture slides and whatnot.

ERTW
brutalwizard likes this.

"Metal is for Vikings; if you're not a Viking, get off the boat." - The Beard

"He doesn't even like Metallica, that's how metal he is." - My friend describing my musical tastes to her friends.

"Aw man you got toilet water on your dick? I'm mad for you." - axxessdenied
BlackMastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
Gelatinous

lava is just really nicelava is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I have a Masters degree in EE and I build spaceships for NASA. I can answer any questions you might have. Yes, it is very interesting. What's "SSO"?
lava is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
Hi I'm Dan.

Dan_Vacant is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm in a tec center for half my school day the class is Construction Trades right now we are doing residential wiring and I love it. I plan on going to MIAT witch has a awesome aviation engineering program so I guess it is similar.

Je ne peux pas parler franšais! aider?
"Cute girl, cute miniature hippo. A man could be very happy with just those things in his life." -Beknor
Dan_Vacant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
Freemanologist

Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by lava View Post
. What's "SSO"?
The only question I'm qualified to answer in this thread: SevenString.Org.
Razzy and Dan_Vacant like this.

Liberty has never come from the government.
Liberty has always come from the subjects of it.
The history of liberty is a history of resistance.
- Woodrow Wilson
Chickenhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #6
WindMarp

guitarneeraj is a jewel in the rough
I've done my undergrad in Electronics and Telecommunications and will be graduating this semester with a Master's in Music Technology from Georgia Tech.
Electrical engineering is very interesting, but if you ask my honest opinion, you don't need to be enrolled in a degree course to LEARN something, if you have a genuine interest you can learn by yourself, which is basically what you end up doing in a degree course anyway
guitarneeraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #7
SS.org Regular

avenger is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
I have a Masters degree in EE and I build spaceships for NASA. I can answer any questions you might have. Yes, it is very interesting. What's "SSO"?
Can you get me a ride to space bro?

Cabinet and GATA4 like this.

avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #8
Gelatinous

Quote:
Originally Posted by avenger View Post
Can you get me a ride to space bro?

<smacks forehead on the SSO thing>

Yeah, I'll get you a ride to space... just as soon as I manage a ride there for myself!
Unread 04-08-2012, 09:31 PM   #9
Gelatinous

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarneeraj View Post
I've done my undergrad in Electronics and Telecommunications and will be graduating this semester with a Master's in Music Technology from Georgia Tech.
Electrical engineering is very interesting, but if you ask my honest opinion, you don't need to be enrolled in a degree course to LEARN something, if you have a genuine interest you can learn by yourself, which is basically what you end up doing in a degree course anyway
Some people are better than others at self-teaching. Personally, I wouldn't be even remotely close to where I am right now, EE knowledge-wise, without having first attended school to learn it and, even more importantly, working where I do and learning every day by interacting with more experienced engineers. You can certainly learn a lot just by reading and experimenting at home, but once you start getting into the really hard stuff you'll hit major roadblocks that you probably won't be able to understand unless some teacher-like figure explains it to you.
Unread 04-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #10
WindMarp

Quote:
Some people are better than others at self-teaching. Personally, I wouldn't be even remotely close to where I am right now, EE knowledge-wise, without having first attended school to learn it and, even more importantly, working where I do and learning every day by interacting with more experienced engineers. You can certainly learn a lot just by reading and experimenting at home, but once you start getting into the really hard stuff you'll hit major roadblocks that you probably won't be able to understand unless some teacher-like figure explains it to you.
Agreed, there's no way in hell I could've possibly taught myself EVERYTHING I've learned till now but OP did mention SSO personal standpoint so I guessed he was restricting EE to only those subjects the references of which pop up on here.
Unread 04-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #11
SS.org Regular

Bevo is a glorious beacon of lightBevo is a glorious beacon of lightBevo is a glorious beacon of light
It's an amazing trade that I would jump into if I was finishing school.

In my work I use techs with various electrical degrees.
I just talked a bud into controls logic for the HVAC trades and he is loving the school and design work..

Sorry not much help but a massive trade with a big demand.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 12:58 AM   #12
The Armada

JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I left for school to become a EE...

Now I'm going into my third year of study as an Aerospace Engineer.

I can do the programming (even though I still suck at it), it's the circuits that I deplore.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 01:03 AM   #13
SS.org Regular

flint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to behold
Yeah I'm a current EE major. I tried teaching myself and I ....ed up some of my classes so (mainly the programming because the teacher had arbitrary restrictions)...

I love it so far, but I hope I don't hate it down the road and switch majors again otherwise I'll never be leaving school.

"In Djod We Trust"

flint757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 10:05 AM   #14
Needs more strings

Metal_Webb is a glorious beacon of lightMetal_Webb is a glorious beacon of lightMetal_Webb is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMastodon View Post
During the first year, you take all the same classes as the other engineering programs, this includes Differential and Integral calculus, linear algebra, some basic chemistry and some physics (static physics in first year, the electrical engineers didn't need to take dynamics in second year), an engineering design course, and 2 online English courses (lots of ESL's in the program, but it helps teach you how to write reports and stuff ). Unfortunately, during the second semester in 1st year electrical engineering students have to take an extra course on introductory circuit analysis which gives you a course load of 6 classes.
Wow, I'm in 4th year of a Chemical Engineering degree here in Australia, and my first year was pretty much that (barring the English, because that's compulsory here for all of high school) Nuts how universal that is.

Also, at OP. Try to avoid the drinking that goes with engineering, it gets entirely out of hand all the time :/
Randomist and BlackMastodon like this.

"By the way, melted binding looks like marshmallow. But it really doesn't taste like it." - MapleLeaf97
Metal_Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #15
Sycamore Trees

Murdstone is a glorious beacon of lightMurdstone is a glorious beacon of lightMurdstone is a glorious beacon of light
I'm no engineer, but I have to take an electrics and magnetism class for my major (even though it has no relevance) and I despise it more than anything. I hate circuitry so badly.
Murdstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 06:10 PM   #16
√εvil

glpg80 is just really niceglpg80 is just really nice
Have an AAS in Computer Engineering and AAS in Electrical Engineering. Work at a security firm programming software, regression testing cloud networks, XML/SQL, bin/bash programming, and SMT/SMD work on prototypes.

Currently continuing to double major in BS CE/EE, looking to continue onward to a masters at GA Tech. All of the first two year studies are pretty much the same - im also taking the calculus, chemistry, economics, etc. courses mentioned earlier in the summary posted earlier.

I've taken a full year of physics as well, will have to take another full year. Calc III is all that is required for a BS here at NC State.

It is pretty diverse as far as a major is concerned. It is intimidating but the only class i really struggled in was sociology

It is true that the drinking/partying scene is impossible - you wont have time, at least i dont with working a job on top of it.

The only advice i can give is that it is a passion for me - not just a subject matter choice. What you put into it is what you will get out - if that is what you want to do then go for it, but school hardly prepared me for the demands of the real world in the Engineering field. What Lava said is very true - you will learn very quick in the real world from others around you that are much more experienced and wiser - i would say the engineering degree is only the beginning of what it really takes, and acts like the key to the door needed to get you that point.
glpg80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #17
WindMarp

Why do I get a feeling this is turning into a kind of /iama thread
Unread 04-11-2012, 09:25 AM   #18
SS.org Regular

Randomist has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal_Webb View Post
Wow, I'm in 4th year of a Chemical Engineering degree here in Australia, and my first year was pretty much that (barring the English, because that's compulsory here for all of high school) Nuts how universal that is.

Also, at OP. Try to avoid the drinking that goes with engineering, it gets entirely out of hand all the time :/
Currently a PhD student in engineering, the drinking takes place here in the UK too. The best/worst of it is that we often drink with some of the lecturers, who usually insist on buying far more than their share of rounds.

I did Mechanical Engineering for my BEng and MEng degrees, so I'm not sure how much use my input will be. You should definately be prepared for some maths that many people find terrifying, and for some heavy workloads. If you're serious about this as a career and are prepared to take on the workload, then go for it.

As for being able to learn from books, you can, to an extent. But that wont get you a qualification, or open any career paths. I would say that only a small portion of what I've learned in my degrees could be read in a book. Knowledge isn't quite understanding.
Randomist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #19
SS.org Regular

flint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to beholdflint757 is a splendid one to behold
Slightly off topic, but I thought this would be a good place to post this.

Irrefutable Logic:

A woman in a hot air balloon realized she was lost..She reduced altitude and spotted a man below. She descended a bit more and shouted: "Excuse me, can you help me?I promised a friend I would meet him an hour ago but I don't know where I am".. The man below replied "You're in a hot air balloon hoveringB approximately 30 feet above the ground. You're between 40 and 41 degrees north latitude and between 79 and 80 degrees west longitude". "You must be an Engineer" said the balloonist. "I am" replied the man "how did you know?" "Well," answered the balloonist, "everything you have told me is probably technically correct, but I've no idea what to make of your information and the fact is, I'm still lost. Frankly, you've not been much help at all.If anything, you've delayed my trip with your talk." The man below responded "You must be in management". "I am" replied the balloonist, "but how did you know?" "Well," said the man "you don't know where you are or where you're going. You have risen to where you are, due to a large quantity of hot air. You made a promise, which you've no idea how to keep, and youB expect people beneath you to solve your problems.The fact is you are in exactly the same position you were in before we met, but now, somehow, it's my !!!!!!!! fault."

"In Djod We Trust"

flint757 is offline   Reply With Quote