homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Off-Topic
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Off-Topic All non guitar/music related discussion here. Keep things work-safe.

Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By pink freud
  • 1 Post By Furtive Glance
  • 2 Post By ArkaneDemon
  • 2 Post By trianglebutt
  • 1 Post By Murmel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-18-2012, 11:08 PM   #1
is really Sasquatch.

AngstRiddenDreams is a splendid one to beholdAngstRiddenDreams is a splendid one to beholdAngstRiddenDreams is a splendid one to beholdAngstRiddenDreams is a splendid one to beholdAngstRiddenDreams is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Why is it that it's so much easier to critique others than yourself?

Recently i've noticed on my time here that most of the time, it's easier to critique/criticize someone elses work than your own. For instance, i'll upload a tone demo, or a new mix and ask what you guys think (Just like everyone else) but if someone else uploads theirs and i listen, I immediately know what needs to be changed, IMO at least. I've started to wonder why this is? When it's mine own, i have no idea what to change, it's just unknown; but when it's another persons, i know exactly what i do or don't like about it. This seems to happen with a lot of people, and it really just intrigues me. Of course, there are a few people here who post things they know are great, and they are the exception. But for the majority of us, i've noticed this. It just really stumps me

I just wasted your time.
AngstRiddenDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-18-2012, 11:13 PM   #2
SS.org Regular

pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngstRiddenDreams View Post
Recently i've noticed on my time here that most of the time, it's easier to critique/criticize someone elses work than your own. For instance, i'll upload a tone demo, or a new mix and ask what you guys think (Just like everyone else) but if someone else uploads theirs and i listen, I immediately know what needs to be changed, IMO at least. I've started to wonder why this is? When it's mine own, i have no idea what to change, it's just unknown; but when it's another persons, i know exactly what i do or don't like about it. This seems to happen with a lot of people, and it really just intrigues me. Of course, there are a few people here who post things they know are great, and they are the exception. But for the majority of us, i've noticed this. It just really stumps me
It's because you are too accustomed to your own work.

If you ever are in a job that involves quality checking/inspection you'll find that the only way to ever go about checking your own work is to leave it alone for a while and then come back to it. That's when things jump out at you.
Explorer, Bigfan and squid-boy like this.
pink freud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 11:47 PM   #3
"This is the end...

Furtive Glance is a glorious beacon of lightFurtive Glance is a glorious beacon of lightFurtive Glance is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
^Yeah, it's akin to proof-reading your own cover letters/resumés. You're accustomed to it so you won't read/hear/see things like people seeing/listening to/reading it the first time.
Explorer likes this.

This is the end of dog racing."
Furtive Glance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 12:00 AM   #4
SS.org Regular

ArkaneDemon is a glorious beacon of lightArkaneDemon is a glorious beacon of lightArkaneDemon is a glorious beacon of light
It's because I'm perfect and everybody else sucks.

USMarine75 and squid-boy like this.
ArkaneDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 12:04 AM   #5
MFB
SS.org Regular

MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I feel bad when I critique other people, so I critique NO ONE

PARTICIPATION TROPHIES ALL AROUND YAY!

(´・ω・`)

In space, no one can hear you bree. - Metal Ken
MFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 12:14 AM   #6
trianglebutt

trianglebutt is a jewel in the rough
I seem to have the opposite issue: I'm extreme harsh on myself and always find problems with my own music, even when others say it sounds great.
Murmel and Cabinet like this.
trianglebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #7
is really Sasquatch.

AngstRiddenDreams is a splendid one to beholdAngstRiddenDreams is a splendid one to beholdAngstRiddenDreams is a splendid one to beholdAngstRiddenDreams is a splendid one to beholdAngstRiddenDreams is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yeah it just makes me feel like an ass when I critique others because it's so hard to critique my own. But it seems that whenever i work on a patch or mix without your guy's help it just gets worse and worse.

I just wasted your time.
AngstRiddenDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #8
Fapping to J-rock

Murmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahumbleguitarist View Post
I seem to have the opposite issue: I'm extreme harsh on myself and always find problems with my own music, even when others say it sounds great.
This.

It takes something really special in order for me to be happy with my playing or a song I wrote.

I have more trouble criticizing others.
BucketheadRules likes this.

Schecters don't have baseball bat necks.
Get the .... over it.

"I think this mistake was the equivalent of a 6000 foot tall cock bukkake tsunami-ing Tokyo." -metallisuk

Shono, forever and always.
Murmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 12:15 PM   #9
Smeller of Smells

SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink freud View Post
It's because you are too accustomed to your own work.

If you ever are in a job that involves quality checking/inspection you'll find that the only way to ever go about checking your own work is to leave it alone for a while and then come back to it. That's when things jump out at you.
This.

As a writer, I have to let stories cool for a while before editing them. Then I get to see the mistakes.

The past couple pieces I've had published are things I wrote months before, and before I sent them out to publishers, I had to edit them one last time. Seeing them after that long was like seeing them for the first time, and all of the structural flaws and bits that didn't flow really stood out at me.

Music has always been the same; riffs sound great at first, but leave them alone for a time and you may see a note or two that needs some rearranging or adjustment.

No signature because censored blah blah blah.
SenorDingDong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #10
Lord Green Fingers

maliciousteve is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/maliciousteve is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/maliciousteve is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/maliciousteve is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/maliciousteve is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/maliciousteve is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/maliciousteve is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I'm very hard on myself when writing my own stuff and it's never perfect. It can never be that way other wise you just wouldn't progress as a writer.

So when I hear some one like Nikki Minaj, Rihanna or Katy Perry I get incredibly frustrated and am very harsh on them because I know they didn't write their own music and they just rely on their looks to get them anywhere. And they also can't sing. Some how good looks became more important than talent.

So overall, I'm hard on my self and others equally.
maliciousteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 09:34 AM   #11
Lord Green Fingers

maliciousteve is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/maliciousteve is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/maliciousteve is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/maliciousteve is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/maliciousteve is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/maliciousteve is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/maliciousteve is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
So Murmel seeing as you've given me a neg rep, which I'm not bothered by, I'll ask you this.

"If they were absolutely shit at everything except looking good they wouldn't be as famous as they are. And Katy Perry does co-write her own music"

Can you then please explain some one like Kim Kardashian? She doesn't seem to have any real talent (the single she released was beyond terrible), she's just famous for looking good and done a sex tape a little while back. Which led to her getting an awful TV show further proving she's a pretty idiot with nothing much to offer.

It just proves my point you can be a complete airhead and you can earn millions off of that as long as you look good. Don't even get me started on models either.
maliciousteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 10:03 AM   #12
Fapping to J-rock

Murmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to behold
^
If everyone who watched and listened to her stuff thinks she's terrible then there wouldn't be as many doing it. Sure, there are people that watch/listen just for the lulz, but obviously there is something that people like so it can't be only suck.
I don't watch TV-shows because a person is attractive if the show sucks, most people don't.

I mean, just because you think something is awful doesn't mean everyone will. Tons of people think Katy Perry, Gaga and Bieber are absolutely garbage, I don't. So it all just comes down to taste, really.
Almost everyone I know think Top Model, Oprah and Dr. Phil is shit, I don't.

I guess I'm just weird

Schecters don't have baseball bat necks.
Get the .... over it.

"I think this mistake was the equivalent of a 6000 foot tall cock bukkake tsunami-ing Tokyo." -metallisuk

Shono, forever and always.
Murmel is offline   Reply With Quote