homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Off-Topic
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Off-Topic All non guitar/music related discussion here. Keep things work-safe.

Like Tree138Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-08-2011, 09:17 PM   #26
Banned

8Fingers is just really nice8Fingers is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I keep wondering why E.T.s would come from so far away only to suck our cows organs and scare the crap out of grandmas in the middle of nowhere
8Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 12-09-2011, 02:16 AM   #27
7string Ghost

Iamasingularity is a jewel in the rough
What if the entire human race and the earth were a simulation created by the Aliens? Like they`ve been here all along from the start, observing and studying us like lab rats? Its like those moments in MIB, at the end of of the movies that are complete mind-....s.

I can`t find the other one with the lockers and stuff.
Iamasingularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 02:41 AM   #28
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamasingularity View Post
What if the entire human race and the earth were a simulation created by the Aliens? Like they`ve been here all along from the start, observing and studying us like lab rats? Its like those moments in MIB, at the end of of the movies that are complete mind-....s.
Iamasingularity likes this.
Unread 12-09-2011, 03:44 AM   #29
He seldomly knows...

Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
What if... what if... ?!

yes, I can imagine all kinds of things.

Still, I'd love to see some actual evidence, because otherwise all the speculation about alien visitaiton and possible/probable methods, motives and so forth can equally be used to argue for Yahweh, Odin, elves, the Tooth Fairy and Santa Clause. Evidence is where the rubber meets the road.
----

Incidentally, one of the simultaneously best and most painful things to watch is when you get true believers in this stuff together to argue, instead of having them talk with unbelievers/skeptics. The two women who were clear as to the color of the Martians through revelation, and were in complete disagreement, reminds me of when you get Intelligent Design/Creation proponents together, and hear them about how the others in that same broad group are just completely wrong (again, based purely on revelation).

----

To put a positive spin on imagination, though...

Wasn't Einstein amazing? He proposed that space bends, and came up with a testable hypothesis which turned out to be right.

Science is so cool, and doesn't require belief to work. The fact than a human enterprise has found a way to both harness imagination, and to discard what doesn't work, is an amazing thing, don't you think?

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about." Adam Of Angels

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 03:51 AM   #30
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
The fact than a human enterprise has found a way to both harness imagination, and to discard what doesn't work, is an amazing thing, don't you think?
Amazing is Thora Birch (oYo)
Unread 12-09-2011, 04:14 AM   #31
SS.org Regular

tuneinrecords will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Of Angels View Post
Didn't you get the memo? We're all 100% positive that UFO's are of this world, because we're all geniuses. Duh.
????
tuneinrecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 04:30 AM   #32
7string Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Fingers View Post
My balls shrank into my pelvis
ayambakar likes this.
Unread 12-09-2011, 04:43 AM   #33
7string Ghost

Quote:

Wasn't Einstein amazing? He proposed that space bends, and came up with a testable hypothesis which turned out to be right.

Science is so cool, and doesn't require belief to work. The fact than a human enterprise has found a way to both harness imagination, and to discard what doesn't work, is an amazing thing, don't you think?
Ya, this reminds me. I`m waiting on the review of the CERN neutrino shoot.
If this beam is faster than light, than we`ll have to be working with a new theory and review all the stuff thats happened the previous 100 years.
Unread 12-09-2011, 04:55 AM   #34
SS.org Regular

tuneinrecords will become famous soon enough
Quote:
What if... what if... ?!

yes, I can imagine all kinds of things.

Still, I'd love to see some actual evidence, because otherwise all the speculation about alien visitaiton and possible/probable methods, motives and so forth can equally be used to argue for Yahweh, Odin, elves, the Tooth Fairy and Santa Clause. Evidence is where the rubber meets the road.
----

Incidentally, one of the simultaneously best and most painful things to watch is when you get true believers in this stuff together to argue, instead of having them talk with unbelievers/skeptics. The two women who were clear as to the color of the Martians through revelation, and were in complete disagreement, reminds me of when you get Intelligent Design/Creation proponents together, and hear them about how the others in that same broad group are just completely wrong (again, based purely on revelation).

----

I agree that evidence is important. Sometimes it's so important that it's hidden though or it's biased or even flat out wrong. If an innocent person can be sent to an electric chair, then science can certainly be wrong. It's been wrong time and time again throughout history. A lot of the advancements have taken time because of an unwillingness to accept new information. Having blind faith in science alone is foolish. It doesn't exist in a vacuum. It's not impervious to being wrong and biased. It's always evolving and rethinking and reworking.

Einstein was amazing, but there's since been people who have elaborated on his work and have taken his theories to the next level.

Also, you do need belief in science, particularly when you take an "experts" opinion as pure gospel and hope that the findings weren't skewed or influenced by who was paying for that opinion. Plenty of opinions go under the radar, not because they're wrong, but because they go against the grain and established view set forth by the money interests. Now, I'm not saying all expert opinions are wrong, but I know plenty that have been dead wrong and proven to be so. Science has discarded more than what doesn't work unfortunately. I think if science wasn't subjected the interests of who's funding the research, then it could truly be free and accomplish even more and wonderful advancements for the betterment of the human race. Science is powerful stuff and in the wrong hands it can be just as bad as it can be good. It's like you can use a hammer to build a house or smash in someone's skull. It's a double edged sword. And there's advancements and science which are hidden for national security purposes and all that too. There's a lot more to what is possible than what the public sees.

BTW, I'm not looking to stir up anything and will not engage in a long exchange over this, but I felt it important to point out that your carefully placed comments and sarcasm aren't lost on me. Nor is the fact that you seem to be trolling around after my comments now on multiple threads at this point. I now realize how much energy and time I've wasted on responding to your comments. Hopefully I can refrain in the future. If anyone's a true believer it's you. You've been riding high on your almighty gospel of government sanctioned science proof trip that you can't even for a moment entertain the notion that science might not have it all figured out yet.

It's been fun Explorer, but I know I"m not the only one tiring of your comments. Don't expect anymore responses from me.
tuneinrecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 07:50 AM   #35
A Chap Called Ross

vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
I think there's truth in everything, you know as they say: 'no smoke without fire'.
vampiregenocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 08:03 AM   #36
The GAS Man

Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 101 reviews
I was kidding when I said we're all geniuses and have this stuff figured out. Although, Explorer really is a genius - he knows everything about life and reality, and he's nearly omniscient - in fact, we shouldn't even have these conversations about paranormal activity, extraterrestrials, etc. without asking him if it's ok first, because none of us have ANY idea what the .... we're talking about in the slightest.

[Necris] 6:23 pm: "you will deal with the pork you recieve"
Adam Of Angels is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 09:23 AM   #37
Iraq Lobster.

synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I think folks need to calm down a bit. Just because someone doesn't share your opinion or life views doesn't mean they're trolling or even generally being a jerk. I don't find anything condescending or insulting in this thread, and I don't see why anyone should feel the need to be defensive or insulting/condescending in a retaliatory way.

Anyway, as to the theory of life on Earth being an experiment run by aliens:

athawulf and Iamasingularity like this.

"And over here, our bass player, the Duke of Spook, the Doc of Shock, The Man with No Tan, please say hello to Death himself, the Grim Reaper!"
synrgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 09:24 AM   #38
The Church of SEVEN
Super Moderator

eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Knock it off, Adam. You know better.

Division - American metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook, and Soundclick might eventually be updated, too.
eaeolian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #39
The GAS Man

Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 101 reviews
Sorry, I was just being sarcastic because I thought we all were.

Anyway, I don't think earth is an experiment, or, if it is, I don't think it would be so easily comprehendible that we could posit coherent theories on same... For that matter, I think the origin of life in general is well beyond our comprehension at this point in time, and therefore, a life form more advanced than us is also beyond our comprehension. I see no harm in trying to solve these mysteries, since we'll eventually come to understand them (in my opinion), but in the mean time, I think it's funny that we keep having heated arguments about this stuff. That's more or less the point I want to make - I just don't understand the efforts to shut down ideas, when the opposition is equally unenlightened.
vampiregenocide likes this.

[Necris] 6:23 pm: "you will deal with the pork you recieve"
Adam Of Angels is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 09:47 AM   #40
A Chap Called Ross

vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
That's somewhat similar to my argument for God. If he/she existed, it would be too infinitely complex for even the smartest human beings to comprehend so to pass judgement for me, is silly.

I believe in Science, because it shows us what we do know and what we're in the process of knowing, and that seems the safest side to be with for me. That being said, I don't think we should let out minds be confined by what we think we know. Some of the greatest advances in human technology and knowledge have come from those who have dared to think outside the box and challenge the norm, however crazy the idea might seem. Of course, you still need to approach those ideas with a grasp of reality.

I should add though I am open to the idea of a God, I am not religious and do not live my life around the idea of there being a God
vampiregenocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 10:03 AM   #41
7string Ghost

Man, I ....ing love this thread! I always find it hard to converse with people about these kind of topics. Not because I`m shy, but because well.. many people don`t care about it. Man I just hope I live to see a day where we actually discover/meet extraterrestrial life. If I were to be forced to choose a religion I would choose the Mormans. At least they believe in Aliens.
Unread 12-09-2011, 10:04 AM   #42
The Church of SEVEN
Super Moderator

eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Of Angels View Post
Sorry, I was just being sarcastic because I thought we all were.
No, you were being an ass, and you know better. Next time think before you hit the post button.

Yes, I'm doing this in public on purpose. Let's see if you get the point.

Division - American metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook, and Soundclick might eventually be updated, too.
Unread 12-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #43
7string Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaeolian View Post
No, you were being an ass, and you know better. Next time think before you hit the post button.

Yes, I'm doing this in public on purpose. Let's see if you get the point.
Fear the wrath of the Super mods!
Unread 12-09-2011, 10:49 AM   #44
Sycamore Trees

Murdstone is a glorious beacon of lightMurdstone is a glorious beacon of lightMurdstone is a glorious beacon of light
What I find interesting is that most of the stories you read about UFO sightings and abductions occur in some backwards Nowhereville, USA town and happen to some farmer or his wife. Why aren't there any sophisticated people getting abducted?

I want to see Neil deGrasse Tyson or another physicist or professor come out and say that they were abducted, then talk about the experience - not "well there was a bright blue light and then my butthole started to hurt. Next thing I know I was back in bed cuddled with either my wife or one of my livestock."
Murdstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #45
The Church of SEVEN
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murdstone View Post
not "well there was a bright blue light and then my butthole started to hurt. Next thing I know I was back in bed cuddled with either my wife or one of my livestock."
I'm pretty sure the former can be explained by the latter in most cases.
The Reverend and Fiction like this.

Unread 12-09-2011, 03:36 PM   #46
He seldomly knows...

Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuneinrecords View Post
BTW, I'm not looking to stir up anything and will not engage in a long exchange over this, but I felt it important to point out that your (Explorer's) carefully placed comments and sarcasm aren't lost on me. Nor is the fact that you seem to be trolling around after my comments now on multiple threads at this point.

...I know I"m not the only one tiring of your comments.
As I've pointed out before, every one of us has the ability to use the Report button when we suspect someone is trolling or engaging in personal attacks. It's the exclamation point button on the left side of all posts in an open thread.

If you feel that anyone is trolling, including me, be sure to let the mods know by using that button on the appropriate post. It helps make this a better community.

And, although you might not have noticed the correlation, I generally post about things which are inaccurate. If you feel I'm targeting you, then you might consider the large amount of pseudoscience and conspiracy-mongering in which you're engaging.

I do the same thing when someone gives bad set-up or string tensioning advice as well, so don't take it personally.

I'm actually hopeful you'll start to apply your skepticism to all claims, including your own, which is why I'm encouraging you to look at the premises and reasoning necessary to sustain your assertions. You seem like a nice person, if a little unclear about how the real world works, and I look forward to you being able to examine things from all angles.

If it makes you feel better, I talk to you on the same level as when we've talked out things at different workplaces. If someone tosses out an idea, none of us are immune to having that idea examined. I'm not automatically respecting an idea, but I'm respecting you by assuming you can at some point see the discrepancies in your thinking.

Cheers!

Short version: I think you're not applying your intelligence equally to all things. I hope you'll eventually do so, but if you think I'm trolling, be sure to report it.

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about." Adam Of Angels

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 04:49 PM   #47
Pretty wisdomous

Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
If I were to be forced to choose a religion I would choose the Mormons. At least they believe in Aliens.
And they have magic underwear!

Member of the Injustice League with Pooluke41, -42 and BrainArt

I am Dr. Disappointinator, after an accident with a radioactive school teacher I now possess the ability to instantly crush all hopes and desires of any individual at any given time

Emotions are for women, and gay children
Jakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 04:53 PM   #48
Alabama Pig Roast

rectifryer is just really nicerectifryer is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I think its sad people joke about these things. I have had serious firsthand experience with alien abductions and I find it apalling how ignorant people can be. If you cant comprehend the sacrifices abductees have made, then just leave it alone. We are probe ambassadors; we are the frontline analysis; we take the hands we are dealt for the sake of humanity.
Explorer likes this.
rectifryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 05:09 PM   #49
Banned

Quote:
If I were to be forced to choose a religion I would choose the Mormans. At least they believe in Aliens.
I hate beliefs.
Gods, gnomes, fairies, aliens whatever are not something to believe in, or you see/talk/touch/smell/whatever them or they don't exist.
Or they do exist but it's not suppost for us to communicate with them.
Why the hell would I believe in something that never speaks to me?
Something that I can't see/touch/smell/whatever?
To me it's nonsense.
All societies always needed something to believe in.
Humans lie..........a lot so I can't believe in something somebody wrote a long ago and others kept turning it bigger and bigger.
If supernatural stuff does exist still it never spoke to me so I won't waste 1 second of my life.................. believing.
If any God wants me to follow his rules, come and speak to me, be a father and teach me stuff insteady of just throwing me on this planet.

I can't understand why some people think it's so impossible to exist other civilizations out there, maybe because they think God only created us?
Humans with so crap brains that goes from Einstein to Hitler?
God made a terrible mistake and seems like he ran away or is in vacation and Earth is paying his bills

I can't believe in aliens but I can EXPECT they do exist cause we can't see the whole universe.
I really EXPECT there are really better civilizations out there cause if there's only us...........whoever/whatever created us was out of his/its mind
Unread 12-09-2011, 05:11 PM   #50
Electrifying

Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
I'm reserving my views on this except for this one: 99% of alien abduction stories I've heard (n.b. 'I've heard', I didn't state an absolute like 'are') have come from the USA, usually southern states. I've never heard anyone in Europe claim to have been abducted by aliens, nor a story of such.

So I ask, if these beings have come all this way why are they so fascinated by the folks in southern USA? What's wrong with the French or Japanese or something?

To that guy^

I'm an electronic engineer, I can't see, smell, hear, touch or taste electrons but I know they exist without having a belief system

People usually use air as an example, but I'm pushing the envelope, deal with it.
USMarine75 and ayambakar like this.

Got questions about anything I've said, done or do? How about pickups, tech, music production or just anything! Check here and ask away!

My project on Facebook: Rook

Click banner below to download my first E.P. for free or pay what you want:
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote