homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Off-Topic
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Off-Topic All non guitar/music related discussion here. Keep things work-safe.

Like Tree106Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

Koop is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Have you ever not wanted to sell a guitar because...

...of the person who is going to buy it?

I am currently selling my LP studio with BKP, it's a very versatile guitar, but really shines when playing distortion-oriented music, though cleans aren't to shabby either. The guy comes over and plays my guitar and he wants to be on the clean channel the whole time, and plays power chords.
I hate sounding like a douche, but it bugs me that a guitar that has been used so well is going to someone who isn't going using it to full potential, especially considering the money I put into it.

Am i the only one?

EDIT: I have worded this in a really awkward way. I am not in any way pretentious. I just have poor forum communication skills
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-19-2011, 03:58 PM   #2
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Don't take this the wrong way, but you're really coming off as pretentious here. Insanely so.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

Hence the reason why I said I hate sounding like a douche
Unread 09-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #4
Electrifying

Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Just lol.

When it comes to selling a guitar, I don't care who's buying it as long as he's giving me
a) More money than I paid for it
b) More money than anyone else would, or near enough
c) Money

I couldn't care less if he takes it outside and sets fire to it, I just want the money, which at the end of the day is the whole reason anybody sells anything. Selling without money is giving.

Got questions about anything I've said, done or do? How about pickups, tech, music production or just anything! Check here and ask away!

My project on Facebook: Rook

Click banner below to download my first E.P. for free or pay what you want:
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #5
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
To be honest, if using the neck pickup with a distorted tone is so "wrong" to you, then I honestly feel that you may not be using the guitar to full potential. Let alone using cleans.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 04:09 PM   #6
SS.org Regular

AxeHappy is a name known to allAxeHappy is a name known to allAxeHappy is a name known to allAxeHappy is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
No. But I do always feel better if I know the guitar is going to a good home.
AxeHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 04:10 PM   #7
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeHappy View Post
No. But I do always feel better if I know the guitar is going to a good home.
That's a good point.
Unread 09-19-2011, 04:12 PM   #8
A Chap Called Ross

vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If it was someone I thought would be a bad owner (not looking after the guitar for instance) then I might not sell it to them, but as for how they actually use it? I don't give a shit, I'm in no place to judge.
vampiregenocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 04:25 PM   #9
z o m b i e 1 3

Zombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Only if the person buying it is someone who might destroy it (but if it's not mine, not my issue)

Aside from that, I don't are if they play Justin Bieber covers with their toes using the middle position

Morphesia (Black Metal)
http://morphesia.bandcamp.com/
Squirrelly Arts (Industrial Metal)
http://www.facebook.com/SquirrellyArts
Zombie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 06:05 PM   #10
Totally Random

JPMike is pretty damn metal.JPMike is pretty damn metal.JPMike is pretty damn metal.JPMike is pretty damn metal.JPMike is pretty damn metal.JPMike is pretty damn metal.JPMike is pretty damn metal.JPMike is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
It hapenned to me once, I want to sell my Suhr S6 and this guy was interested.

So I go over his place so he can check out the guitar. There was this guy and his friend, so I take out the guitar and he sees it and stuff. He goes on to play, he didn't know shit, then he gives the guitar to his friend and tells him "what you think?". So the other guy was playing really well, like he knew what was going on and he sald, "it's a really nice guitar".

Long story short, the guy had his friend to test it if he was going to buy it or not, he had no idea on how to play, just collecting the guitars to learn his cover songs or whatever but seriously no skills, he had no idea what was going on. I could see it from the way he was holding and playing the guitar.

I prefered for someone else to buy it, in a lower price than that guy who had no idea.
JPMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 09:48 PM   #11
Bonitis.

Necris is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Necris is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Necris is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Necris is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Necris is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Necris is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Necris is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Guitars themselves don't hold any potential, they are tools to help the players reach their own potential as musicians.

Extreme Syncopation =/= Poly-rhythmic

Necris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 10:19 PM   #12
Sir Mattafer

Opion is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
^ I dig.

Anyways - in my opinion, you have every right to feel that way, but in some cases where you would desperately need the cash, little things like that make no difference to the fact he is paying you for a guitar, plain and simple. Now, whether or not the guy would be playing it to it's full potential is completely subjective - maybe that guy would progress as a player as he's never played an instrument so advanced for his level. Maybe he wouldn't, and would stick to playing his power chords on the clean channel. Or on the flip side, what if he were some prodigy that didn't wanna show off in front of you, and can actually play flight of the bumblebee at 320bpms? On a LP for that matter?

If it bugs you that much, you have total control over the sale - if it were me, it wouldn't bug me too terribly much. That's just my

My originals & mix test clips - slowly but surely growing:
http://soundcloud.com/opion
http://www.soundclick.com/members/de...member=opion59
Opion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 10:22 PM   #13
Divine Parad°x

Sephael is just really niceSephael is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMike View Post
just collecting the guitars to learn his cover songs or whatever but seriously no skills, he had no idea what was going on. I could see it from the way he was holding and playing the guitar.
...or you know, he could have been just learning and didn't want to suffer through a walmart special.

I can totally see being hesitant about selling to someone who had a half dozen mostly broken guitars laying around, but deigning someone the chance to learn to play on a decent guitar just because they are not a shredder yet or have no aspiration to do more than jam along with Free Bird in their den....that is just wrong, man. Play for the love of playing, and let others do the same.
oremus91 and AxeHappy like this.
Sephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 10:40 PM   #14
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
When I am evaluating a guitar, I generally only play it cleanly. I want to get a good feel for the response, and don't want too much extra sensory crap going on. Heck I don't even plug it in right away. Once again, distractions. I might give the dirt a quick check if that, but really pickups are so replaceable I don't care, it has to feel 'it'.

Guitar techs are for sissies.

Learn some damn music theory, don't complain, and you'll be a better person. -Schecterwhore

Show me a truly awesome guitar for under $1000 and I'll show you hateful lies.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 10:56 PM   #15
:O

Cabinet is a splendid one to beholdCabinet is a splendid one to beholdCabinet is a splendid one to beholdCabinet is a splendid one to beholdCabinet is a splendid one to behold
Every guitar I've ever owned has a unique feel to it so parting with it always feels somewhat personal to me. What, and how, the new owner plays isn't my concern as long as the owner treats it like a musical instrument.
I'm sure if your guitar is that versatile the new owner will start finding uses for different tones and styles. Before I finally got pickups I liked in my current Ibanez I was always using the bridge humbucker, almost never the middle or the neck. Since I replaced my neck humbucker I have so many varieties now it gets hard to choose which pickup I want to use, I find myself switching to my Dimarzio Air Classic in the neck and not wanting to leave that sound. Ever.

Anyways I'm sure they'll find multiple uses for the guitar, dude. As long as you keep listening and playing you're just going to get better and better.
Cabinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 11:12 PM   #16
blood junkie

TRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMyghin View Post
When I am evaluating a guitar, I generally only play it cleanly. I want to get a good feel for the response, and don't want too much extra sensory crap going on. Heck I don't even plug it in right away. Once again, distractions. I might give the dirt a quick check if that, but really pickups are so replaceable I don't care, it has to feel 'it'.
My thoughts as well. Same thing goes for doing setups IMO, except for setting pickup heights of coarse. The only thing is you have to be in a dead silent room so that you don't start over-attacking the strings in order to hear better (buzz city).

To the OP: I agree it feels better knowing that a much covetted instrument will get used well and not abused, however, most of us don't even come close to utilizing the guitar's potential anyways.
Imagine handing Steve Vai your favorite axe and being shocked at how much better "it" plays and sounds in his hands.
TRENCHLORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 11:32 PM   #17
Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator

djpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
"Cash rules everything around me, dolla dolla bill y'all" - Wu-Tang Clan.

Sell guitar.
Get the cash.
Don't be a pretentious douche.
Profit.
djpharoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 11:41 PM   #18
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I'd feel guilty if it was like a minty green dot and the bastard dropped it in a vat of acid or something.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2011, 06:37 AM   #19
Intrepid Jackass

Demiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpharoah View Post
"Cash rules everything around me, dolla dolla bill y'all" - Wu-Tang Clan.
Whenever I've been in a position where I wanted to sell a guitar, it's because I needed the money. If sentimentality is such that is causes misgivings about who the guitar is sold to, maybe there are just misgivings about selling the guitar in general.
ayambakar likes this.

"I like Christian rock. It's very positive. It's not like those real musicians who think they're so cool and hip." -George Costanza
Demiurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2011, 11:57 AM   #20
Riffmiester General

BrianUV777BK is a jewel in the rough
I hate having to sell a guitar....!

LIFE IS TOO SHORT FOR BAD TONE

GIMME SHRED 'TILL I"M DEAD!!
BrianUV777BK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2011, 12:12 PM   #21
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I'll sell a guitar to anyone willing to pay the proper amount for it. And quite frankly, I know many guitarists that can't touch my level of technical proficiency and despite that fact I STILL can't touch their perceived level of musicality, so...?

Konfyouzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2011, 12:14 PM   #22
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necris View Post
Guitars themselves don't hold any potential, they are tools to help the players reach their own potential as musicians.

Unread 09-20-2011, 01:49 PM   #23
SS.org Regular

athawulf is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOfMetal View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but you're really coming off as pretentious here. Insanely so.
Is there a "correct" way to take that?

It's your guitar, sell it to whomever you please. Though I would sell it to any level of musician or non musician as long as they seem like a nice guy. If they walked into my place and started swinging the guitar around their shoulders or were otherwise a complete dick then I'd probably not sell it to them unless I really needed the cash

athawulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #24
Dread-I Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by athawulf View Post
Is there a "correct" way to take that?
Yes... As constructive criticism.
vampiregenocide likes this.

Unread 09-20-2011, 02:14 PM   #25
SS.org Regular

Ill-Gotten James is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I can relate to this post. I had a dimebag model guitar, I forget the exact model, that I was trying to sell. I was selling it because I wanted the money, which is the primary reason that someone sells something. However, when the gent came over to try out the guitar, he bust out some haggard version of the main riff in Cowboys From Hell. I remember cringing at first and thinking do I really want this guitar to go to this guy. Then I thought about it... Yes, I do want him to have this guitar. After all, I used to not be able to play the songs of my idols correctly, so who am I to judge?

J.K. Eggleston
Ill-Gotten James is offline   Reply With Quote