homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Off-Topic
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Off-Topic All non guitar/music related discussion here. Keep things work-safe.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Rook
  • 1 Post By ElRay
  • 1 Post By BigPhi84
  • 1 Post By leandroab

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-07-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
Electrifying

Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Woah

Weirdly, none of this surprises me, but knowing all that stuff I heard is actually true is quite shocking...

Got questions about anything I've said, done or do? How about pickups, tech, music production or just anything! Check here and ask away!

My project on Facebook: Rook

Click banner below to download my first E.P. for free or pay what you want:
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 08-07-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
sixstringer

Bigfan is a glorious beacon of lightBigfan is a glorious beacon of lightBigfan is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bigfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 07:14 PM   #3
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
They pulled a Walmart on them it looks like. Shit, union, run!...

Can't say I would be surprised is all budget import guitars looked that way though. Not in the least.

Guitar techs are for sissies.

Learn some damn music theory, don't complain, and you'll be a better person. -Schecterwhore

Show me a truly awesome guitar for under $1000 and I'll show you hateful lies.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #4
Undecided forever

Empryrean is a name known to allEmpryrean is a name known to allEmpryrean is a name known to allEmpryrean is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
...this is old, isn't it?

[ry_z] 4:17 am: You looked tiredness in the face, flexed, and canceled it.
Empryrean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 07:25 PM   #5
Electrifying

Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
^2009

It's not news, I just found it and though I've heard the conditions were terrible I've never seen any evidence of it. It was just one of those things people say.
Empryrean likes this.

Got questions about anything I've said, done or do? How about pickups, tech, music production or just anything! Check here and ask away!

My project on Facebook: Rook

Click banner below to download my first E.P. for free or pay what you want:
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 08:59 PM   #6
Ibanez whore

theo is a splendid one to beholdtheo is a splendid one to beholdtheo is a splendid one to beholdtheo is a splendid one to beholdtheo is a splendid one to behold
I watched the video and I'm not entirely clear on what happened. can someone please educate me on this?
theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 09:01 PM   #7
Dragonblade629

Hemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of lightHemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of lightHemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by theo View Post
I watched the video and I'm not entirely clear on what happened. can someone please educate me on this?
Cort has crap conditions for their workers, and when they unionized Cort got rid of them.
Hemi-Powered Drone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 09:06 PM   #8
Ibanez whore

theo is a splendid one to beholdtheo is a splendid one to beholdtheo is a splendid one to beholdtheo is a splendid one to beholdtheo is a splendid one to behold
So cort just fired all the unionised workers?
That's what I assumed, but then there was talk of the factory being closed and all the offices empty.
theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 09:21 PM   #9
Mostly Harmless

ElRay is pretty damn metal.ElRay is pretty damn metal.ElRay is pretty damn metal.ElRay is pretty damn metal.ElRay is pretty damn metal.ElRay is pretty damn metal.ElRay is pretty damn metal.ElRay is pretty damn metal.
Not to steal from the actual injustices going on at the Cort factories, but regarding:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMyghin View Post
They pulled a Walmart on them it looks like. Shit, union, run!...
Except that in our area, standard union rates are lower than Walmart base pay, plus the employees would have to pay dues on top of taking a pay cut. So Walmart killed them with kindness.

Add to that the fact that the union demanded that Walmart: A) Pay to reserve a local theater, B) Cater the event, and C) Require all eligible employees to attend.

Another wonderful union tactic here is to pay undocumented workers cash to picket businesses instead of having actual union members do the picketing. At least two have gotten caught.

Unions are unfortunately necessary; however, their arrogance and hypocrisy can be astounding.

Ray
BigPhi84 likes this.

The Ultimate Question: What string gauge is needed for 18.84# of tension when tuned to E2 on a 27" scale guitar?
ElRay is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 11:14 PM   #10
Thundercrafter

Dead Undead is just really niceDead Undead is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
This really upsets me. Happens everywhere, every day, and .... all is being done about it.

"if everyone thought i was as funny as i think i am, everyone would quote me in their signatures" - Grand Moff Tim
Dead Undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 11:35 PM   #11
Dragonblade629

Hemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of lightHemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of lightHemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by theo View Post
So cort just fired all the unionised workers?
That's what I assumed, but then there was talk of the factory being closed and all the offices empty.
Yeah, part of the firing was actually closing down a factory and opening a new one somewhere else.
Hemi-Powered Drone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 01:44 AM   #12
Pronounced "FEE"

BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Not to be that douche, but there was a thread about this back in the day.

The ugly truth behind Cort/Cor-tek guitars (a documentary)

Back on topic, it sucks how the Cortek treated their workers. I just wonder if this is gonna happen with the Fujigen factory next (since Ibanez has its own new factory in Indonesia). Yeah, I know that the Fujigen factory makes other brands, but I'm sure that Ibanez is their biggest company/customer.

Ah, the world we live in. It sucks, but as consumers demand value and cheaper prices, more and more of this happens. I'm sure that the HP laptop that I'm typing on right now was probably made in similar conditions, but there's really no alternative these days. This is one dark side of global capitalism that I can't get over.

Sorry for the political rant.
Dead Undead likes this.

Self-appointed member of the Sevenstring.org Welcoming Committee
(alongside Bloody_Inferno, Zealous, Shawn, Apophis, AliceAxe, M3CHKILLA, Fred the Shred, Explorer, and Sebastian) ROFL

My Policy: If you make me laugh in a post or offer something interesting/thought-provoking, you get Rep +1. Pretty simple, right? Waiting now for incoming barrage of funny jokes.

BigPhi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 03:53 AM   #13
Stay Negative™

leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.
That ....ing blows...

is the new black

RIP PETER STEELE

Music:
* www.soundclick.com/leandroabaurre
*www.soundcloud.com/leandroab

Guitar projects:

*Baritone 6 Conversion

Quotes:
* ''
I intend them to .... them with the long cock of the law." - Trashmanzac
* "
I think this mistake was the equivalent of a 6000 foot tall cock bukkake tsunami-ing Tokyo." - metallisuk
"I'm a big fan of the effects of alcohol." - Peter Steele
leandroab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 07:33 PM   #14
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElRay View Post
Not to steal from the actual injustices going on at the Cort factories, but regarding:
Except that in our area, standard union rates are lower than Walmart base pay, plus the employees would have to pay dues on top of taking a pay cut. So Walmart killed them with kindness.

Add to that the fact that the union demanded that Walmart: A) Pay to reserve a local theater, B) Cater the event, and C) Require all eligible employees to attend.

Another wonderful union tactic here is to pay undocumented workers cash to picket businesses instead of having actual union members do the picketing. At least two have gotten caught.

Unions are unfortunately necessary; however, their arrogance and hypocrisy can be astounding.

Ray
I agree to an extent, but there have been a few walmarts that have fired employees for trying to unionize and or just packed up and moved. By and Large however, I don't support unions, in first world countries they are past their usefulness and often appear, to my eye, very petty. In the case of Cort and their conditions however, a union would be highly justified, as it would be doing what the unions did at first. Protecting workings in actual bad conditions having their lives potentially ruined by an overbearing employer.

Unions here try to dictate far too much to the company, many portions which they have absolutely no right to be involved. That event is a prime example.

Guitar techs are for sissies.

Learn some damn music theory, don't complain, and you'll be a better person. -Schecterwhore

Show me a truly awesome guitar for under $1000 and I'll show you hateful lies.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 08:02 PM   #15
Stay Negative™

leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.
Btw I came here expecting Keanu.
BigPhi84 likes this.

is the new black

RIP PETER STEELE

Music:
* www.soundclick.com/leandroabaurre
*www.soundcloud.com/leandroab

Guitar projects:

*Baritone 6 Conversion

Quotes:
* ''
I intend them to .... them with the long cock of the law." - Trashmanzac
* "
I think this mistake was the equivalent of a 6000 foot tall cock bukkake tsunami-ing Tokyo." - metallisuk
"I'm a big fan of the effects of alcohol." - Peter Steele
leandroab is offline   Reply With Quote