homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Off-Topic
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Off-Topic All non guitar/music related discussion here. Keep things work-safe.

Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By JeffFromMtl
  • 3 Post By The Somberlain
  • 1 Post By silentrage
  • 2 Post By Grand Moff Tim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-05-2011, 10:57 PM   #1
Уродливый, но честны

JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
A Speculative Timeline of Future History

I just started looking through this, and thought it was pretty interesting. Like it states in the introductory blurb, it is a mix of fact and fiction, and is purely speculative, but is pretty cool nonetheless. Stuff like this always really gets my imagination going.

Future Timeline | Technology | Singularity | 2020 | 2050 | 2100 | 2150 | 2200 | 21st century | 22nd century | 23rd century | Humanity | Predictions | Events

This great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves

moments before the wind
JeffFromMtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 11:12 PM   #2
SS.org Regular

ArkaneDemon is a glorious beacon of lightArkaneDemon is a glorious beacon of lightArkaneDemon is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The Singularity Is Near is a great book too on the subject.
ArkaneDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 11:22 PM   #3
Unexpected Ally

xmetalhead69 is a glorious beacon of lightxmetalhead69 is a glorious beacon of lightxmetalhead69 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Reading some of this shit just reminds me too much of I Robot.

http://soundcloud.com/unexpected-allies
http://www.facebook.com/unexpectedallies

A unique sounding, prog metal band, mars volta inspired vocals, fun guitar, and tons of diverse influences. Check us out, our instrumental album is out now, and the next one is coming soon
xmetalhead69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 12:55 AM   #4
Hollow Man

The Somberlain is just really niceThe Somberlain is just really nice
So we're ....ed for 150 years, then we're robots...

I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine.
-Bertrand Russell

"The Somberlain is a wise man" -Randy
The Somberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 01:25 AM   #5
SS.org Regular

ArkaneDemon is a glorious beacon of lightArkaneDemon is a glorious beacon of lightArkaneDemon is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Somberlain View Post
So we're ....ed for 150 years, then we're robots...
Pretty much
ArkaneDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 05:27 AM   #6

SD83 is a jewel in the rough
I only read parts of it, just read "Hi-tech, automated cities"... except for some minor parts, to me this is an extremely bleak & dystopian vision of the future, at least the parts I read until now...
EDIT: I just read "The world in 2200"... has anybody here (unlikely I guess) read some of the "Perry Rhodan" series? The way human life is described on that page is pretty much exactly the way the life on the planet "Arkon" was described in those books. In 1961.

No one should be protected from the effects of their own stupidity.

What you don't understand is that music is not a part of life. Life IS music.
SD83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 08:13 AM   #7
Stay Negative™

leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.
This is going to be a really nice read.. When I have the time...

Thanks for this dude!

is the new black

RIP PETER STEELE

Music:
* www.soundclick.com/leandroabaurre
*www.soundcloud.com/leandroab

Guitar projects:

*Baritone 6 Conversion

Quotes:
* ''
I intend them to .... them with the long cock of the law." - Trashmanzac
* "
I think this mistake was the equivalent of a 6000 foot tall cock bukkake tsunami-ing Tokyo." - metallisuk
"I'm a big fan of the effects of alcohol." - Peter Steele
leandroab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 08:43 AM   #8
Ex Whiny Bitch

Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
The medium which used to be known as the Internet has evolved into something quite profound: for many people it has replaced physical reality entirely. Reverse engineering of the brain, combined with advanced nanotechnology, allows human minds to be fully detached and immersed within digital environments. These virtual worlds offer a kind of immortality now.
Super sweet.

Quote:
3000 AD - Purely biological humans are typically 7ft tall now, with lifespans of 120+

Quote:
The universe continues to expand forever... but is essentially dead.

What happened to Jeff? Funny how he dropped off the radar now that the entire Western world disagrees with his right wing bullshit.
Scar Symmetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 10:17 AM   #9
The DeRailer

silentrage is a name known to allsilentrage is a name known to allsilentrage is a name known to allsilentrage is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I think that timeline might be based on the view that technology progresses linearly, which has been argued might not be the case. If it's progressing exponentially like some have suggested, then we'll get there much much faster, like by 2040 a superintelligence will have emerged and began to transformed earth in unfathomable ways. There's always chances of "hard-takeoff" scenarios where one unpredictable event such as some hitherto unforseen convergence of different disciplines of science and technology immediately brings forth the post-human age.

As regarding the expanding universe, I've read scenarios that involve trying to deal with it and ones that don't attempt at all. In the former, Freeman Dyson has proposed that post-singular civilizations may engineer galaxies into dense clusters so that it won't be so lonely once all the too distant galaxies have faded away. The latter, which is IMO much more interesting, is that post-singular technology will enable the discovery or even manufacturing of worm-holes, blackholes, or even whole new universes(time-reversal of blackholes?), so such a civilization can ditch this spacetime all together.
http://sixwoffers.blogspot.com/2011/...-year-100.html

However you should always keep in mind that predictions are often unreliable, and may not pan-out the way we want. It's good to keep up to date on the latest tech/science news though, to get a feel of whether we'll actually be able to achieve type I this century. I think there has been hints here and there and it might actually happen.

I find the news headline on this site to be very entertaining and possibly important to keep watch of: Kurzweil Accelerating Intelligence

Fionn likes this.
silentrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 10:28 AM   #10
/\'...'/\

toiletstand is a glorious beacon of lighttoiletstand is a glorious beacon of lighttoiletstand is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentrage View Post
I think that timeline might be based on the view that technology progresses linearly, which has been argued might not be the case. If it's progressing exponentially like some have suggested, then we'll get there much much faster, like by 2040 a superintelligence will have emerged and began to transformed earth in unfathomable ways. There's always chances of "hard-takeoff" scenarios where one unpredictable event such as some hitherto unforseen convergence of different disciplines of science and technology immediately brings forth the post-human age.
ive always felt this way. reading about the future in that website really bummed me out i feel even smaller now than i did before.
toiletstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 10:52 AM   #11
Lord Green Fingers

maliciousteve is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/maliciousteve is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/maliciousteve is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/maliciousteve is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/maliciousteve is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/maliciousteve is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/maliciousteve is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
2016 - US Vehicles are becoming more fuel efficient. PFFFFFTTTT!

As if
maliciousteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 01:48 PM   #12
Some call me... Tim

Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.
Reminds of that book "Man after Man" that came out about... thirty years ago? It's about various ways man might evolve. It's pretty absurd at times, but the drawings are cool and it's an amusing read.

Also, the whole book is online for your reading/viewing pleasure.

Dougal Dixon "Man after man. An anthropology of the future" Foreword by Brian Aldiss
CrushingAnvil and SD83 like this.
Grand Moff Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 08:59 PM   #13
\m not jesus land m/

CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Dougal Dixon is the man!

Whoever said "the best things in life are free" hasn't played an 80's RG" - TheSixthWheel
CrushingAnvil is offline   Reply With Quote