homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Off-Topic
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Off-Topic All non guitar/music related discussion here. Keep things work-safe.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-13-2006, 12:55 AM   #1

Donnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
For the auto mechanic types

So it looks like I need to replace the front right cv joint in my '99 Olds Bravada. It knocks and rattles like a mother ....er.
It's got that Smart Track 4 wheel drive, of which, I pulled the fuse so it wouldn't happen to engage and really break shit up.
So anyway... are they hard to change out? I'm pretty good at the whole mechanic thing, I've done tons of things with my older cars, but that's just it, they we're older and easy to work on. I have never worked on any newer type of 4x4. Or anything with front wheel drive, for that matter(not counting my '68 Olds Toronado).

The car in question:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bravada1.jpg (78.1 KB, 8 views)
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-13-2006, 12:59 AM   #2
Canis lupis obscurus

The Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is it hard?

On front wheel drive, pain-in-the-....ing-ass. I'm not model specific, but I had to do it on a front wheel drive Ford before, and I helped my bro do it on his front wheel drive Olds, and it ....ing sucked ass.
The Dark Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2006, 01:02 AM   #3
Dis ....in' guy...

JPMDan is his own personal hero.JPMDan is his own personal hero.JPMDan is his own personal hero.JPMDan is his own personal hero.JPMDan is his own personal hero.JPMDan is his own personal hero.JPMDan is his own personal hero.JPMDan is his own personal hero.JPMDan is his own personal hero.JPMDan is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
hmmm you may want to pick yourself up a good ole Haynes or Chilton Manual to find out. I never done before and never heard anyone tell me it's a bitch. You can find these manuals at a Autozone, Checkers or Pepboys. They'll tell you step by step how to do take your vehicle apart and put it back together.
JPMDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2006, 01:07 AM   #4
Canis lupis obscurus

The Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnate
Shit, I wish I could remember more about it. I think it was such a shitty experience, I made myself forget.

I remember hammers were involved. And hours upon hours of using them

(Something about how the joint engaged wheel assembly. Both times. Lots of pounding. On the long shaft below, you can sorta see what I'm talking about.)
Unread 09-13-2006, 01:08 AM   #5

Donnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himselfDonnie is deemed true by Crom himself
Yeah, I'm totally planning on getting a Chilton's manual.
Well, I guess it's a good thing I have some mechanic friends here that'll help out for a cold 6 pack of PBR.

Damn, I wish I could just sell the thing but it isn't really worth what I owe in this condition. Or even in working condition.
Unread 09-13-2006, 01:10 AM   #6
Canis lupis obscurus

^ They'll be earning it. Make sure you let us know how it goes. I'm real curious as to how it applies to trucks/SUVs. On cars, from my experience, and from everyone I've talked to about it, it absolutely sucks.
Unread 09-13-2006, 01:13 AM   #7

Definately.
For a while, I thought it was the forward drive shaft. I was just going to pull the ....er out and just have an all the time, rear wheel drive for the time being. Or at least until I could hobble it back to where I bought it and ram it through their front door.
Unread 09-13-2006, 01:33 AM   #8
Dis ....in' guy...

JPMDan is his own personal hero.JPMDan is his own personal hero.JPMDan is his own personal hero.JPMDan is his own personal hero.JPMDan is his own personal hero.JPMDan is his own personal hero.JPMDan is his own personal hero.JPMDan is his own personal hero.JPMDan is his own personal hero.JPMDan is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
good luck with it, hell yea I'd help to if I was getting beer out of the deal.
JPMDan is offline   Reply With Quote