homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Off-Topic
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Off-Topic All non guitar/music related discussion here. Keep things work-safe.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-23-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
The White-Knuckler

Philligan has much to be proud ofPhilligan has much to be proud ofPhilligan has much to be proud ofPhilligan has much to be proud ofPhilligan has much to be proud ofPhilligan has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
How To Cook Meat... In The Ground (Picstory)

I found this technique online called pit barbecuing, where you cook meat in a hole in the ground. My friend Jeff (jwatso89 on here) and I decided to give it a try. Here is what you need to do some pit barbecuing of your own:

-Meat (we used a regular beef oven roast)
-Tinfoil
-Burlap
-Chicken wire
-Wood
-Rocks

Let's begin.

^You start with the roast. We used a standard beef oven roast. Next, it'd be cool to try a brisket or ribs. We seasoned it with pepper and sea salt. Next time, we're thinking a saucy rub.

^Wrap it in tin foil. This keeps the dirt out.

^Then wrap it in burlap. Apparently we don't have sacks in Canada, so we got a ridiculously long roll of it, and used six feet or so. We soaked the burlap in water first. This keeps the roast moist.

^Then wrap it in chicken wire so it doesn't fall apart. We used a probe for the temperature. It's good we did, too - the roast cooked way faster than we were expecting.

^Then dig a hole in the ground. It's gotta be a couple feet deep, because you need a lot of embers, and rocks and a roast, and then pile dirt back on top later.

^Start a fire in the hole. You want give or take a foot of embers before you put the roast in. We burned some wood, then put the rocks in, and burned more wood on/around them.

^Put the roast in, on the rocks, kinda nestled in the middle if possible.

^Expect steam.

^Pile more wet burlap on top.

^Put dirt back on it. A lot, and pack it down well. We used some wire to tie the roast to a stick - this actually made it a lot easier to get it out.

^Now we wait. We cooked it 'til 160 F.

^Done! It actually only took an hour and a half, not the four or five hours we were expecting.

^Thar she be.

It was actually really good. This works well because you can use cheaper cuts of meat, and the cooking time breaks them down so they're tender. Next time, we're thinking saucier/stronger seasoning, and maybe waiting 'til the embers die down a bit more so it cooks a bit longer. As is, it was still potentially the most tender roast beef I've had.

It's really not too hard if you've got a day off. It's definitely worth trying. Worst case, it's still an awesome story.

My Flickr.

"it blowed the emg's in the dirt" - De Vries

"Richlite is to Paper Mache as Carbon Composite is to charcoal briquettes." - Max
Philligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 02-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #2
SS.org Regular

nojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
You sir, are a man.

http://www.facebook.com/BristolGuitars | https://soundcloud.com/nojyeloot

"If anyone speaks badly of you, live so that no one believes it."[/FONT]

nojyeloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
Bald and gribbly.

BigBaldIan is just really niceBigBaldIan is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Approved!
BigBaldIan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
Freemanologist

Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.

I've done this a couple times. One time with an entire hog. Definitely worth the effort.

EDIT:

Just looked at the pictures again...now I'm hungry

Liberty has never come from the government.
Liberty has always come from the subjects of it.
The history of liberty is a history of resistance.
- Woodrow Wilson
Chickenhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 04:19 PM   #5
The White-Knuckler

Philligan has much to be proud ofPhilligan has much to be proud ofPhilligan has much to be proud ofPhilligan has much to be proud ofPhilligan has much to be proud ofPhilligan has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity Complex View Post
I've done this a couple times. One time with an entire hog. Definitely worth the effort.
That's amazing We're gonna have to try that. As is, we're gonna wrap the next roast in bacon

My Flickr.

"Richlite is to Paper Mache as Carbon Composite is to charcoal briquettes." - Max
Unread 02-23-2011, 04:25 PM   #6
Stay Negative™

leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
....ing awesome!

is the new black

RIP PETER STEELE

Music:
* www.soundclick.com/leandroabaurre
*www.soundcloud.com/leandroab

Guitar projects:

*Baritone 6 Conversion

Quotes:
* ''
I intend them to .... them with the long cock of the law." - Trashmanzac
* "
I think this mistake was the equivalent of a 6000 foot tall cock bukkake tsunami-ing Tokyo." - metallisuk
"I'm a big fan of the effects of alcohol." - Peter Steele
leandroab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #7
Freemanologist

Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philligan View Post
That's amazing We're gonna have to try that. As is, we're gonna wrap the next roast in bacon
Do it!! That sounds ....ing great!

Liberty has never come from the government.
Liberty has always come from the subjects of it.
The history of liberty is a history of resistance.
- Woodrow Wilson
Chickenhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 04:50 PM   #8
Banned

AySay is a name known to allAySay is a name known to allAySay is a name known to allAySay is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Maybe it's cause of my ethnic origin, but pepper and sea salt ain't no ....ing seasoning.
You definitely need to go with some kinda sauce or dry seasoning mix (Montreal is good)
AySay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 04:52 PM   #9
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Also note this works in sand dunes.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/signaturepics/sigpic17517_3.gif
Customisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 05:10 PM   #10
SS.org Regular

Skin Coffin is a glorious beacon of lightSkin Coffin is a glorious beacon of lightSkin Coffin is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Nice, really nice! Here in Portugal, in the Azores, we have a method very similar to that one!
Skin Coffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 05:24 PM   #11
has wood for you

scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
That's pretty much standard in here. But it's made with lamb. My old house actually had a hole in the backyard for that, as well as a grill.

There are places where you get the full thing. They take you to choose your lamb, you kill it, take part in some of the gutting/cutting, and then in the digging/cooking. (it's for big groups of people)

Needless to say it's the bloodiest thing I've ever done. And while I'm in no hurry to do that whole thing again, I certainly learned to apreciate where my food comes from.
scherzo1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 05:50 PM   #12
The White-Knuckler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scherzo1928 View Post
That's pretty much standard in here. But it's made with lamb. My old house actually had a hole in the backyard for that, as well as a grill.

There are places where you get the full thing. They take you to choose your lamb, you kill it, take part in some of the gutting/cutting, and then in the digging/cooking. (it's for big groups of people)

Needless to say it's the bloodiest thing I've ever done. And while I'm in no hurry to do that whole thing again, I certainly learned to apreciate where my food comes from.
That's so awesome, man, I wish we had that here. When we were getting supplies, people were asking us what we needed them for, and when we said "we're cooking a roast in a hole" we got the weirdest looks haha.

It tasted good, but it just tasted like beef. I definitely wanna season it a lot more next time around. Maybe cook some other stuff in there with it.

My Flickr.

Unread 02-23-2011, 05:53 PM   #13
A Chap Called Ross

vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Seen Ray Mears do this, its pirty cool. That looks nom.
vampiregenocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 06:14 PM   #14
has wood for you

scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
That's so awesome, man, I wish we had that here. When we were getting supplies, people were asking us what we needed them for, and when we said "we're cooking a roast in a hole" we got the weirdest looks haha.

It tasted good, but it just tasted like beef. I definitely wanna season it a lot more next time around. Maybe cook some other stuff in there with it.
Well, for starters, instead of using tinfoil, we use leaves. Banana leaves might be your best bet if you want to try it(I think maguey is what is used, which is where your tequila comes from). The meat itself doesnt need much spicing, mainly because we end up bathing everything in salsa (for this kind of meat, morita chile salsa is a must).
scherzo1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 07:44 PM   #15
The White-Knuckler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scherzo1928 View Post
Well, for starters, instead of using tinfoil, we use leaves. Banana leaves might be your best bet if you want to try it(I think maguey is what is used, which is where your tequila comes from). The meat itself doesnt need much spicing, mainly because we end up bathing everything in salsa (for this kind of meat, morita chile salsa is a must).

IMO, the best part of making barbacoa is the ""
I'm gonna look into these banana leaves, hopefully we can get them here. That seems way better, they'd probably let a lot more smoke flavour through. The tinfoil was pretty impermeable

My Flickr.

Unread 02-23-2011, 08:08 PM   #16
SS.org Regular

Ckackley is just really niceCkackley is just really nice
My family does this once every other year with an entire pig.. Best meat ever . :-)
Ckackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 08:31 PM   #17
SS.org Regular

heavy7-665 is just really niceheavy7-665 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
& bacon strips & bacon strips & bacon strips

You am need help, your right hand is all ....ed up girl!

"thats why i spring it on her

like a cobra"
heavy7-665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 09:48 PM   #18

Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.
I gotta try this.

Thank you so much for posting this!

Have a question about The Gospel or prayer request, PM me. Happy to help and God Bless!

Band: www.facebook.com/whisperfromheaven
For fans of Melodic-Metal.

"Once you have entered the Ocean... You have entered the food chain." - Dad
Xiphos68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 10:46 PM   #19
"This is the end...

Furtive Glance is a glorious beacon of lightFurtive Glance is a glorious beacon of lightFurtive Glance is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
A guy up here has done it since the '70s. You can't even fathom how awesome it tastes afterwards. Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Although, once there was a bear in there. A big Grizzly. There wasn't any food in there, but the smell is so strong I guess it stays in the ground.

This is the end of dog racing."
Furtive Glance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 11:04 PM   #20
The White-Knuckler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furtive Glance View Post
Although, once there was a bear in there. A big Grizzly. There wasn't any food in there, but the smell is so strong I guess it stays in the ground.
Oh yeah haha, when I went to go check on it, I was getting huge whiffs of this barbecue sauce kinda smell coming up from the ground. It was pretty great haha.

We did it behind Jeff's house, because his back yard opens up to a nature trail sort of thing, and we could avoid putting large holes in our lawns

I'm really hoping joggers went by and were like "the .... is that smell?"

My Flickr.

Unread 02-23-2011, 11:10 PM   #21
Petrucci Wannabe

Jet9 is a jewel in the rough
I've got to try that, I'm just way too impatient.

This made me hungry and I just ate.

"Sometimes the milk can hurt you, if you put it on your cereal before you smell the plastic container."
-Frank Zappa
Jet9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 11:22 PM   #22
The White-Knuckler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet9 View Post
I've got to try that, I'm just way too impatient.

This made me hungry and I just ate.
It's really not that time consuming, man. The whole process only took maybe three and a half hours from start to finish. It takes longer to cook a roast in a slow cooker.

My Flickr.

Unread 02-23-2011, 11:41 PM   #23
Classy
Super Moderator

Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
You are a man of great rapport.

I don't care if it rains or freezes
Long as I got my plastic Jesus
Sittin' on the dashboard of my car

Argbadh - RHLC©
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 11:43 PM   #24
The Armada

JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Baddas mate.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2011, 12:14 AM   #25
The White-Knuckler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
You are a man of great rapport.

My Flickr.