homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Off-Topic
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Off-Topic All non guitar/music related discussion here. Keep things work-safe.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-30-2006, 07:06 AM   #1
Sarcy English Twat

Location: 7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bruv, Safe, London, UK
7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
Unfair banking charges fightback

After having been hit with a 100 fine for being over my overdraft by 100 following bank charges and them allowing me to take cash out while i was past my overdraft limit (something they blocked for about a year when i asked them to) I have decided whether i can join the growing legion of people challenging the ridiculous fees charged by banks for a system that costs little as it is computer automated.

I think it is worthwhile, and possibly something that, if enough people do it, can bring about a change for the better, as I know a lot of people in financial dire straits have the same problem, that being that once it starts, it's a never ending merry go round of bank charges that cause more charges.

Anyway, here's the link, instructions on how to handle it, and good luck. I know I am going to see if i can reclaim some of the ridiculous amounts of money my banks has made of me in the past few years.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi...41050760,24632

The Chaos has come:
www.chaosanct.com
7 Dying Trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 08-30-2006, 07:40 AM   #2
NUDE MAN!

LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
I'm in! I don't know how man times I've been shafted by the bank because I didn't keep track and they kept letting me spend!

www.bodenhamer-electronics.com

the official gain merchant of sevenstring.org.
LordOVchaoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2006, 07:52 AM   #3
Aye.

Scott harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Scott harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Scott harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Scott harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Scott harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Scott harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Scott harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Scott harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Scott harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Scott harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Scott harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Scott harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Scott harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOVchaoS
I'm in! I don't know how man times I've been shafted by the bank because I didn't keep track and they kept letting me spend!
Well that's just good business. It's everyones responsibility to keep track of their own spending, but if you do lose track, and run out of money, I think the overdraft option is good to have, incase you need to get something but ran out of money. And if they have a rate at what they charge you for it, then so be it. That's what you get for signing on that dotted line.

POOF!
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2006, 08:07 AM   #4
Sarcy English Twat

7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
Well that's just good business. It's everyones responsibility to keep track of their own spending, but if you do lose track, and run out of money, I think the overdraft option is good to have, incase you need to get something but ran out of money. And if they have a rate at what they charge you for it, then so be it. That's what you get for signing on that dotted line.
ah you see, the law states that a bank jmust have fair charges (proportional to it's loss) somehow i don't think that 100 for 2 weeks at 112 over, as well as being charged 30 for a reversal charge in that time is fair.

I've actually read an article or two on it, as there is a lawyer here who is challenging it. Also, a lot of banks seem to be returning the money rather than having to go to court to reveal their exact costs and lose, thus setting a precedent for millions to reclaim unfair charges.

I mean, it is my own money, it is my responsibility, but to call some of the charges excessive and a joke is putting it mildly.

I mean, an overdraft limit (ie, the limit of your overdraft) should be the stopping point at which the bank refuses transactions, not the point where they cash in and make money at interest rates vastly exceeding 100%

i think, at the end of the day, it's called laws to protect the consumers, and if the office of fair trading is investigating it, then something must stink.

The Chaos has come:
www.chaosanct.com

Last edited by 7 Dying Trees; 08-30-2006 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Unread 08-30-2006, 08:16 AM   #5
I'm your huckleberry

noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Dying Trees
I mean, an overdraft limit (ie, the limit of your overdraft) should be the stopping point at which the bank refuses transactions, not the point where they cash in and make money at interest rates vastly exceeding 100%
No kidding. That is one of my biggest complaints with modern banks. I don't care if it is a "reoccuring charge", just don't pay it and I'll pay that bill a little late manually.

Noodles
Division: American Metal without the suck.
kxksales@gmail.com
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2006, 08:18 AM   #6
-

metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Banker, rhyms with w... enough said.

That's piss taking in the extreme mate, I hope you get your money back. Oh, try switching to First Direct too, they're really good and you can speak to someone 24/7. Someone in this country who speaks English too, not some unintelligable foreign call centre worker.
metalfiend666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2006, 08:22 AM   #7
Sarcy English Twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfiend666
Banker, rhyms with w... enough said.

That's piss taking in the extreme mate, I hope you get your money back. Oh, try switching to First Direct too, they're really good and you can speak to someone 24/7. Someone in this country who speaks English too, not some unintelligable foreign call centre worker.
they're still a divison of HSBC and to be honest, after my experiences with them over the past two years I don't think i'll be banking with them once i actually start earning money again. Or any of their subsiduaries.

But man, i was livid earlier. I got told to go .... myself in no uncertain terms (ie, the banking charges are perfectely reasonable and in line with our charges) earlier on. Strange thing was that when i complained last year, i recieved the money back then, AND they changed my account to not be allowed to go past the overdraft, ie, ity just wasn't possible, and exactly the way i wanted it.

Whatever happened to the customer is king?

The Chaos has come:
www.chaosanct.com
Unread 08-30-2006, 08:26 AM   #8
-

metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.metalfiend666 can play Erotomania with his toes.
In that case definitely change to First Direct. HSBC ....ed me about massively, but First Direct are totally different. There the customer is king and they seem to bend over backwards to help.
Unread 08-30-2006, 08:33 AM   #9
Aye.

Scott harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Scott harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Scott harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Scott harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Scott harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Scott harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Scott harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Scott harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Scott harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Scott harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Scott harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Scott harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Scott harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Quote:
not some unintelligable foreign call centre worker.

I resent that

POOF!
Unread 08-30-2006, 08:40 AM   #10
Beer Sewer

Popsyche deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Popsyche deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Popsyche deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Popsyche deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Popsyche deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Popsyche deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Popsyche deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Popsyche deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Popsyche deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Popsyche deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Popsyche deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Popsyche deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Popsyche deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.Popsyche deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
^

You said it before I did!

If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?

www.myspace.com/wfkoehleriii
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeo7bjr/index.html
Popsyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2006, 08:40 AM   #11
Pantysniffing zombie

JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.JJ Rodriguez has more eRep than he knows what to do with.
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
That's piss taking in the extreme mate
Expressions from people in the UK crack me up.
JJ Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2006, 08:45 AM   #12
NUDE MAN!

LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.LordOVchaoS can play Erotomania with his toes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Rodriguez
Expressions from people in the UK crack me up.

A good portion of my family lives in England and some of the shit they say cracks me up! My favorite:

Fart = Windy Puff

Unread 08-30-2006, 09:15 AM   #13
-

Quote:
I resent that
I wasn't offending Candians, more the guys we usually get put through to: Call centre workers in Mumbai who can barely speak English to start with AND have very thick Indain accents, so we have no chance of understanding a work they say.

So shut up ya cack-handed Canook!
Unread 08-30-2006, 09:17 AM   #14
Aye.

I get calls all the time, with first thing outta their mouths being "Thank god! An American!"

Me: Actually Sir, im in Canada.

Customer: Oh, really? Can you transfer me to someone in Malaysia then?

POOF!
Unread 08-30-2006, 09:23 AM   #15
I'm your huckleberry

noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.

Noodles
Division: American Metal without the suck.
kxksales@gmail.com
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2006, 10:08 AM   #16
Fatal Havoc

Mykie is just really niceMykie is just really nice
Banks suck, when I get overdrawn it's just one fee and that's it. But one fee for everything that goes over, it doesn’t recur. But its $38 each hit, ouch.

I like my piggybank better. =)

6-string guitarist to a 7-string guitarist
Mykie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2006, 10:40 AM   #17
I poop in shoes.

nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yeah, I used to overdraft ALOT. And the last week or two I've done it a couple of times, although I've been really good the last 6 months. $35 each time and it always sucks. Fight the power!!!

And 7DT, could you say leather for me

I am the mask you wear.
nitelightboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2006, 10:53 AM   #18
NUDE MAN!

Sometimes I don't have a choice but to overdraft. If I have no money in the bank and my daughter needs food, diapers, etc... I'm going to the store and eating the charges without regret. Sure would be nice to get all those back though

Unread 08-30-2006, 04:34 PM   #19
Destroyer of Worlds

Buzz762 is the epitome of metal.Buzz762 is the epitome of metal.Buzz762 is the epitome of metal.Buzz762 is the epitome of metal.Buzz762 is the epitome of metal.Buzz762 is the epitome of metal.Buzz762 is the epitome of metal.Buzz762 is the epitome of metal.Buzz762 is the epitome of metal.
Quote:

I get calls all the time, with first thing outta their mouths being "Thank god! An American!"

Me: Actually Sir, im in Canada.

Customer: Oh, really? Can you transfer me to someone in Malaysia then?

I thought most of the world loved canada (well, minus americans who have seen the south park movie)?
Buzz762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2006, 04:40 PM   #20
Hates the Air

Metal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from Cirrhosis
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Reaons like this are why credit cards are nice. I can just charge whatever on my card and pay it off at the end of the month. if i dont have enough? as long as i cover the minimum charge, thers still no fees.
Metal Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2006, 04:47 PM   #21
Banned

Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.Elysian is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
.... and i can't stand the $36 overdraft fee my current bank charges, and you're getting 100 ....ing a... i went 71 frigging cents over today, and it put me 36.71 in the hole... had to go make a deposit a minute ago... lame shit.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2006, 11:03 PM   #22
Sarcy English Twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian
.... and i can't stand the $36 overdraft fee my current bank charges, and you're getting 100 ....ing a... i went 71 frigging cents over today, and it put me 36.71 in the hole... had to go make a deposit a minute ago... lame shit.
exactly, i mean, for 71c charging a fee that is effectively 1000%+ interest, i mean, that is in no way proportional. it's the great rip off of the century, and don't forget that apart from that fee you'll get charged disproportionate interest as well on top of everything.

Seriously, it will only take one person to succesfully challenge this bullshit to make the banks' cash cow come crashing down.

The Chaos has come:
www.chaosanct.com
Unread 08-31-2006, 05:31 PM   #23
SS.org Regular

Vegetta has much to be proud ofVegetta has much to be proud ofVegetta has much to be proud ofVegetta has much to be proud ofVegetta has much to be proud ofVegetta has much to be proud ofVegetta has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
holy jeebus

100 quid isnt nothing to sneeze at

that is a lot of mony for an overdraft - in the US it typically is around $35 (many banks have overdraft protection where you dont have to pay anything but a small monthly fee)

Between banks, oil companies, healthcare, the insurance industry and the goverment we are all so well and truely boned

this space for rent
Vegetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2008, 12:25 PM   #24
Fear the Polo!

Drew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

So, my ING transfer to cover my newest guitar arrived a few days late, my landlord cashed my rent check early and it didn't reflect on my online statement until today, and between one thing and the next I just got hit with 5 $35 overdraft charges for the weekend.

Before I get on the phone or drop into the local branch of my bank, what are my options here? the page you linked James seems to be pretty UK-specific, is there any corresponding law linking fees to the actual losses incurred in the states as well?

I'm just having a hard time seeing how my bank could have REALLY lost $175 on my account being overdrawn by $500 over the weekend, and covered first thing monday morning.

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

http://www.metalguitarist.org
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2008, 12:54 PM   #25
Far too opinionated

ukfswmart is a glorious beacon of lightukfswmart is a glorious beacon of lightukfswmart is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Dying Trees View Post
Whatever happened to the customer is king?
Shareholders, mate

I keep having similar problems with Sainsbury's Bank. I've gone over my credit limit by accident several times recently, yet they don't seem to do anything to enforce that 'limit' until I'm way over. ....s. Still, it serves me right for having so much GAS and for buying my lunch from M&S every day...
ukfswmart is offline   Reply With Quote