homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Off-Topic
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Off-Topic All non guitar/music related discussion here. Keep things work-safe.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-21-2010, 08:17 AM   #26
Spastic Kitchen!

bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Actually, sctrictly speaking, a hypothesis is never proven correct. To be a valid scientific hypothesis, it has to be falsifiable, meaning that there has to be a logically valid test to try to disprove the hypothesis. Once you've tried hard enough to disprove the hypothesis, and it still stands, you can pass the hypothesis on to your peers. If they cannot prove you wrong, then your hypothesis can become a scientific principle.

The problem with relating physical dimensions to electrical parameters in cyberspace is that the amount of material energy an object has is related to mass, and the amount of electrical energy required to store the information of the object is related to the disorder in the object. A very massive object, like a football-sized chunk of osmium, has much more mass than a microchip, but the microchip has much more complexity.

[URL="http://sites.google.com/site/bostjanzupancickhereb/"[/URL]
bostjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 10-21-2010, 08:46 AM   #27
Fear the Engineer

Meinrad is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostjan View Post
The problem with relating physical dimensions to electrical parameters in cyberspace is that the amount of material energy an object has is related to mass, and the amount of electrical energy required to store the information of the object is related to the disorder in the object. A very massive object, like a football-sized chunk of osmium, has much more mass than a microchip, but the microchip has much more complexity.
I never said that anything existing in the next dimension system is exactly proportionate to anything in the "real world" - just that electrical energy theoretically could be the basis of another dimension system. As you said, it's certainly complex enough.

Foreman of the Demanufactory
Automation unbending, the device unrelenting...

If you give people nothingness, they can ponder what can be achieved from that nothingness...
- Tadao Ando
Meinrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 08:55 AM   #28
Spastic Kitchen!

bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meinrad View Post
I never said that anything existing in the next dimension system is exactly proportionate to anything in the "real world" - just that electrical energy theoretically could be the basis of another dimension system. As you said, it's certainly complex enough.
I never said that you said that.

For the dimensions to translate, they will have to have a mathematical relation between them. Not necessarily a proportion, but to formulate the hypothesis, you should state what that relation is, otherwise you don't really have a hypothesis yet, you are just on a track to getting one.

[URL="http://sites.google.com/site/bostjanzupancickhereb/"[/URL]
bostjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 09:05 AM   #29
Fear the Engineer

Meinrad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostjan View Post
I never said that you said that.

For the dimensions to translate, they will have to have a mathematical relation between them. Not necessarily a proportion, but to formulate the hypothesis, you should state what that relation is, otherwise you don't really have a hypothesis yet, you are just on a track to getting one.
I'm working on it - so far I've established the pattern in which every separate dimension system is connected to the next, how they affect each other, and what that says about alternate realities in the same dimension system. I'm trying to professionally graph the data regarding the patterns, but I'm a bit pressed for time.

Foreman of the Demanufactory
Automation unbending, the device unrelenting...

If you give people nothingness, they can ponder what can be achieved from that nothingness...
- Tadao Ando
Meinrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 11:29 AM   #30
Foolish Mortal

Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.
Hopefully Gordon Freeman still works at the LHC.

Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 03:30 PM   #31
Correct-handed

leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.
The multiverse theory would best explain why we even exist, but nothing can be accepted without rigorous experimental confirmation.

I dont think your consciousness can "see" other dimensions, resulting in deja vu and such. Thinking of your consciousness as an entity is known as duality. Duality is simply our misinterpretation of ourselves. Your consciousness is simply electrical and chemical interactions in your brain. Well, its far from simple, but you get what I'm saying.

Only time and experimentation will tell. Until then, everything is just speculation.

"Yeah, sometimes when you're cool, you spontaneously combust into a fireball of awesomeness" - RenegadeDave
leftyguitarjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 03:46 PM   #32
He seldomly knows...

Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
So, how simple an object? At what level of description/modeling?

Here's the thing... your "theoretical" (and it's unclear what you mean by "theory," but it's not the same usage as the scientific usage) experiment has a lack of clarity to it. Just as simple examples, there is no definition for your usage of "transported," nor is there an explanation of "the energy composing our dimension system." You bringing up "step 2" just reminds me of that classic formula for success:

I've been at lectures where a layman in the audience later approached the lecturer with newspaper clippings, pointing out (for example) how the stories as written could be interpreted as the sun having magical powers. The lecturer normally encourages the person to do a bit of reading to learn what the brief stories actually describe, and to then see if the interpretation even begins to fit what is known.

Unfortunately, many who had these ideas never invested the time in actually learning the nuts and bolts of what is really going on, and never will. Why be informed when ignorance is spontaneous, right? It is typically a matter of those who actually understand "suppressing" those who think they know, because those new ideas "would destroy the establishment."

The reality, though, is that scientists are always looking for ways to rock the establishment. There's no percentage to be gained by suppressing good science... unless, of course, you work for the Tobacco Institute. *laugh* (Incidentally, those same groups which fought the losing fight against recognizing tobacco usage as bad for health have now been hired by petrochemical companies to fight against the science of global warming. What conclusion would *you* draw from that? *laugh*)

----

I once visited the caves at Alta Mira, where prehistoric man had painted buffalo on the low ceiling. It was amazing. The way the flickering lights made the buffalo figures move was magical, and so it seemed like a small leap from making something live through representation and affecting the real living thing during the hunt.

There is a long history of "like produces like" in human culture, but "theoretical" thaumaturgy has not managed to produce results. In spite of that, representational art still manages to hold human imaginations in thrall, and there are those who feel that words and representations have magical powers over the things described.

I'm sorry, friend, but your proposed "experiment" seems to be much like many of those "model = reality" ideas.

Cheers!

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about."

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 03:48 PM   #33
He seldomly knows...

Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.
Holy crap! Was I writing long enough? Look at all the responses while I wasted my time! *laugh*

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about."

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Unread 10-21-2010, 03:52 PM   #34
The DeRailer

silentrage is a name known to allsilentrage is a name known to allsilentrage is a name known to allsilentrage is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
everything is just speculation
this is pretty much my mantra.
silentrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 11:43 PM   #35
SS.org Regular

shadowsea will become famous soon enough
"Despite centuries of increasingly sophisticated observation from planet Earth, only 4 per cent of that universe is known -- because the rest is made up of what have been called, because they are invisible, dark matter and dark energy"

heres an idea, lets figure out what the other 96% of matter is, perhaps then we can make headway to unlocking new dimensional planes....

....unless of course that matter is located within the new dimensional planes themselves.

I'm very fascinated by all of this, i find it to be frightening though. The aspect of breaking down reality into multiples seems terrifying. however knowledge is strength, i'm looking forward to learning more from these experiments in the future.
shadowsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2010, 01:31 AM   #36
SS.org Regular

Thaeon is just really niceThaeon is just really nice
This discussion reminds me of the book "The Quantum and The Lotus". It's a discussion in letters between an astrophysicist and a buddhist monk. Very interesting to read and looks at how close 'thought expiriments' got to the reality of science nearly 1,000 years before quantum theory or even the idea of the atom existed. The atom btw was essentially a pipe dream until something else was invented years down the line to back up the idea.

This expanded and collapsed dimension idea could be one of those ideas. The thinking behind it is eerily similar to Kabbalah.

I personally don't see the need to be too tied to either the material or the speculative. I understand the need for material evidence. But sometimes ideas bring about the material. Science Fiction has always been the sign post pointing to the realities of future generations. Ideas are powerful. I say don't throw anything out until it's been proven impossible. So many people are so quick to discredit another's idea, instead of seeing the possibility in it and in their own search for the truth want to see the idea through as well. I honestly see a lot of stagnant, old guard ideas being held on to in modern science. Often making massive jumps in logic without the proof to back it up. It pisses me off when I see someone who enjoys science or worse is involved in scientific research, discrediting something based on a serious assumption. If you can't test it now, due to current technology, wait till you can. There's no use in throwing something away just because you don't have the ability to evaluate it. People laughed at Orville and Wilbur. People thought they were crazy. The technology didn't exist, so they made it. If people 100 years ago had known that millions of people every day would be flying at 30,000ft to all points of the earth in just hours, let alone landing on the moon, they'd have called you crazy. They'd have said it was simply NOT POSSIBLE. Just get comfortable saying "I don't know." It sounds a lot better and a lot less arrogant than, where's your proof or it isn't a good enough idea. Who else on this board is actively trying to figure this out?
Thaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2010, 08:04 AM   #37
Banned

josh pelican has much to be proud ofjosh pelican has much to be proud ofjosh pelican has much to be proud ofjosh pelican has much to be proud ofjosh pelican has much to be proud ofjosh pelican has much to be proud of
If you have sex with yourself in a parallel universe...

I don't even know where I'm going with this.
josh pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2010, 08:19 AM   #38
Iraq Lobster.

synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaeon View Post
This discussion reminds me of the book "The Quantum and The Lotus".
My sister gave me that book for Christmas a few years back. It's a good read, and an easy one, too.

"And over here, our bass player, the Duke of Spook, the Doc of Shock, The Man with No Tan, please say hello to Death himself, the Grim Reaper!"
synrgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2010, 03:23 PM   #39
Correct-handed

leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.leftyguitarjoe is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaeon View Post
This discussion reminds me of the book "The Quantum and The Lotus".
I have his book on happiness, aptly titled "Happiness".

Matthieu is a great man.

"Yeah, sometimes when you're cool, you spontaneously combust into a fireball of awesomeness" - RenegadeDave
leftyguitarjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2010, 03:49 PM   #40
The DeRailer

silentrage is a name known to allsilentrage is a name known to allsilentrage is a name known to allsilentrage is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by synrgy View Post
My sister gave me that book for Christmas a few years back. It's a good read, and an easy one, too.
That description reminds me of like david bohm and krishnamurti's dialogues.
Imma check it out.
silentrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 07:09 PM   #41
in love with Judas

E Lucevan Le Stelle is a glorious beacon of lightE Lucevan Le Stelle is a glorious beacon of lightE Lucevan Le Stelle is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
... will people please, please, please, please, PLEASE study some actual mathematics and physics before spouting off the usual "quantum" and "dimension" catchphrases?

the word "dimension" has a very defined meaning in physics. you are several light years off it. that is all.

I killed a girl and I liked it, the taste of blood on my hatchet...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJgWhW4AyT8
E Lucevan Le Stelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 09:43 PM   #42
He seldomly knows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Lucevan Le Stelle View Post
... will people please, please, please, please, PLEASE study some actual mathematics and physics before spouting off the usual "quantum" and "dimension" catchphrases?

the word "dimension" has a very defined meaning in physics. you are several light years off it. that is all.
You mean... there's yet another person on SS.org who values a little rigor? *laugh*

+1 to your reputation, my friend.