homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Off-Topic
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Off-Topic All non guitar/music related discussion here. Keep things work-safe.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-30-2005, 04:24 AM   #1
Banned from Reality

Jeff is pretty much the man.Jeff is pretty much the man.Jeff is pretty much the man.Jeff is pretty much the man.Jeff is pretty much the man.Jeff is pretty much the man.Jeff is pretty much the man.Jeff is pretty much the man.Jeff is pretty much the man.Jeff is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mr. Lupone: your unique assistance is requested!

I see your a Tempe resident. I am moving into that area in May, because the missus obtained employment there.

Can you recommend any good areas to buy a house? Anything I should be aware of or look out for?

I appreciate any tips you can give. Thanks!!!

p.s. do you need a rhythm guitar player?
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-30-2005, 04:40 AM   #2
Banned from Reality

Jeff is pretty much the man.Jeff is pretty much the man.Jeff is pretty much the man.Jeff is pretty much the man.Jeff is pretty much the man.Jeff is pretty much the man.Jeff is pretty much the man.Jeff is pretty much the man.Jeff is pretty much the man.Jeff is pretty much the man.
Oh, and another thing: what's with the "blocked wall/fence" thing? I am assuming the fences aren't really fences, but actually cinder block walls? What for? I am Chicago dweller, so it's a foreign concept.
Unread 03-30-2005, 06:18 PM   #3
Vince is X!!!

Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
It depends where in town you're moving to. Phoenix is HUGE, landmass-wise. If you're in the east valley, Chandler, Gilbert, and Queen Creek (Queen creek is really far from town though) present some of the best deals for houses. You can probably find something great in the $150-200 range there. If you need cheaper, you might want to look in Suprise which is clear across the valley (over 60 miles NW of Queen Creek). Another decent area not too far out of town is Avondale (near the new Coyotes and Cardinals stadiums), and the homes there aren't too expensive yet. If you're looking for a used home, my only recommendation is if you hear the word "Maryvale" hang up the phone. Maryvale is the highest crime area in Phoenix. Mesa's not a bad place to live, but it's like the Walmart capital of the world. You'll know what I mean if you ever visit there. Scottsdale is pricey, as is Paradise Valley. Downtown Glendale sucks, but north Glendale and Peoria is where I grew up and I love it there.

As for the fences, yeah, all the fences are cinder block. It takes the heat a whole lot better than wood. Wood fences only last a couple years in Phoenix, and they're a fire hazard because of how dry it gets in June/July. If you are buying a house, do not get one with spanish tile on the roof (a lot of new houses out here have that). The Spanish tiles heat up during the day, store the heat like cement, and stay hot at night during the summer. This can more than double your cooling costs in the summer.

If you're gonna buy a house out here, do it quick. Property values are skyrocketing in town right now, and we have a shitload of investors from out of town just buying up houses to make a profit.

I rent a townhouse in Tempe, and love the location
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2005, 06:21 PM   #4
Vince is X!!!

Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.
here's a huge map of phoenix I just found online...

Unread 03-31-2005, 05:50 AM   #5
Banned from Reality

Vince this a huge help, I really appreciate it. It is so daunting to move to a completely different part of the country, and this is excellent advice.

My wife and I were looking last night, and with the sheer number of new homes being built, it appears to be a better deal to go with a new home. Which means we'll have to find a place to rent (that allows dogs) in the meantime, but I am sure that's possible.

The houses look so different out there, it's like a different world!

I am excited; we've just got into this rut where we have a long commute (Chicago is 2nd longest commute in the country; we drive an hour each way) and we never see each other. The winters are miserable, and just hell on the guitar necks! haha

This is just the opportunity we need, the change we need, and I think it will be cool.

Maybe you and I could jam when I get out there. I am not as good as you, but hey, I can play rhythm!
Unread 03-31-2005, 08:19 AM   #6
Vince is X!!!

Sure. When you moving?

As for the homes being different, yeah being that we have no natural disasters, homes are made cheaply because they're mainly stucco. The best homes in Phoenix were built in the 70s and 80s... good old fashioned masonry homes. They're the best if you can get your hands on 'em.
Unread 03-31-2005, 09:52 AM   #7
Banned from Reality

It's up in the air, but sometime mid-may. We have to sell our house here, so that may be challenging.
Unread 03-31-2005, 02:05 PM   #8
Vince is X!!!

Nice. Moving from Chicago to Phoenix right as the temperature reaches 100 degrees.