homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Off-Topic
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Off-Topic All non guitar/music related discussion here. Keep things work-safe.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-03-2010, 11:56 PM   #1
Theory God

Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
This is ....ing stupid.

In DC, even the Spelling Bee draws protesters - Yahoo! News

Quote:
In DC, even the Spelling Bee draws protesters

By LAUREN SAUSSER, Associated Press Writer – Thu Jun 3, 3:55 pm ET

WASHINGTON – The nation's capital always draws its share of protesters, picketing for causes ranging from health care reform to immigration policy.
But spelling bee protesters? They're out here, too.
Four peaceful protesters, some dressed in full-length black and yellow bee costumes, represented the American Literacy Council and the London-based Spelling Society and stood outside the Grand Hyatt on Thursday, where the Scripps National Spelling Bee is being held. Their message was short: Simplify the way we spell words.
Roberta Mahoney, 81, a former Fairfax County, Va. elementary school principal, said the current language obstructs 40 percent of the population from learning how to read, write and spell.
"Our alphabet has 425-plus ways of putting words together in illogical ways," Mahoney said.
The protesting cohort distributed pins to willing passers-by with their logo, "Enuf is enuf. Enough is too much."
According to literature distributed by the group, it makes more sense for "fruit" to be spelled as "froot," "slow" should be "slo," and "heifer" — a word spelled correctly during the first oral round of the bee Thursday by Texas competitor Ramesh Ghanta — should be "hefer."
Meanwhile, inside the hotel's Independence Ballroom, 273 spellers celebrated the complexity of the language in all its glory, correctly spelling words like zaibatsu, vibrissae and biauriculate.
While the protesters could make headway with cell phone texters who routinely swap "u" for "you" and "gr8" for "great," their message may be a harder sell for the Scripps crowd.
Mahoney had trouble gaining traction with at least one bee attendee. New Mexico resident Matthew Evans, 15, a former speller whose sister is participating in the bee this year, reasoned with her that if English spellings were changed, spelling bees would cease to exist.
"If a dictionary lists 'enough' as 'enuf,' the spelling bee goes by the dictionary, therefore all the spelling words are easier to spell, so the spelling bee is gone," Evans said.
"Well," Mahoney replied, "they could pick their own dictionary."
___
Online: http://www.americanliteracy.com
http://www.spellingsociety.org
Respelling all words in the English language phonetically would destroy many root words, and either conflict with pronunciations from different dialects, or yield multiple spellings of the same word. People.

Skype theory lessons. PM me.
Mr. Big Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-04-2010, 01:19 AM   #2
ss.org Regular

Bananalyze is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
They must not be very smart....

That would just shred up our language... there's already lots of words that have almost no meaning anymore, changing the way we spell them would take away from all the greek and latin roots and just make everything stupid...

I deem this protest false.
Bananalyze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 01:46 AM   #3
Fapping to J-rock

Murmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to behold
Only in America

Jokes aside, I don't think it would be possible to change the spelling of so many words because everyone would have to learn the new ways of spelling them.. And you have like what, 350 million people?
Murmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 02:03 AM   #4
SDMF, mofos

Aurochs34 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
wut te fuk gys i c no issu wif dis. i cud sy owsum stf lyk "i hav sumtin stuk on te retna of my i. en we cud ad mor homuhnims 2 hur alredi masiv fukin langooaj tuh mayk it aktuly hardr tuh lern...lyk "der bags r in te bak o dat car oer der, dat der goin te dryv in 2 te sitee tuhdai.

"Get it kids, you dumb ....s? We are no longer a Latin based language! I bet this sure is easier for you though!"

God help us if this were ever to actually happen...

"The Beard laughed, a sad laugh, it was the sound of birds being scrunched under foot."
Aurochs34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 02:34 AM   #5
SS.org Regular

ddtonfire is just really niceddtonfire is just really nice
Lol. Everything needs to be toned down - while the population is increasing, intelligence remains a constant.
ddtonfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 02:41 AM   #6
Fapping to J-rock

Murmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurochs34 View Post
wut te fuk gys i c no issu wif dis. i cud sy owsum stf lyk "i hav sumtin stuk on te retna of my i. en we cud ad mor homuhnims 2 hur alredi masiv fukin langooaj tuh mayk it aktuly hardr tuh lern...lyk "der bags r in te bak o dat car oer der, dat der goin te dryv in 2 te sitee tuhdai.

"Get it kids, you dumb ....s? We are no longer a Latin based language! I bet this sure is easier for you though!"

Yeah that's my biggest fear, that the language would actually become like the language of the retarded kids on teh internetz
Murmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 03:14 AM   #7
Deftones Guru.

BrainArt is a splendid one to beholdBrainArt is a splendid one to beholdBrainArt is a splendid one to beholdBrainArt is a splendid one to beholdBrainArt is a splendid one to behold
Quote:

How much did it hurt you to type that sentence out? It hurt me a lot to read it, and I had to dumb my brain down a bit.

I have doubts that they would actually be able to make any headway with this. If they somehow are able to go through with this, I'm sticking with the way I learned how to spell. Properly, and not like a retarded ape..... Wait, no; that's an insult to retarded apes everywhere. You get my point.

Member of the Injustice League with Pooluke41, Jakke and -42.

I am Poi; The Ipu pounding, Ukulele shredding rapey clown, who ruins childhood dreams of balloon animals!
BrainArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 04:23 AM   #8
Theory God

Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.
Quote:

Dude, I just had two really big Jack and cokes, and this is the funniest thing. Rep.

Unread 06-04-2010, 04:27 AM   #9
plays in 69/42

Thrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud of
thats just retarded.

...Each guitarist has an evil fat 40 year old blueswankler trying to get out, If you give in to temptation you'll be sitting next to a fender playing john lee hooker while trying to keep your combover in place.

-Desecrated

being black and enjoying watermelon, i think this thread needs more watermelon.
budda
Thrashmanzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 04:45 AM   #10
OOOAAARWWWRR

Wookieslayer is a glorious beacon of lightWookieslayer is a glorious beacon of lightWookieslayer is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
rofl

Randall V2 / Titan + RS412XLT100
Tech 21 Midi Mouse, Alesis Midiverb III
Schecter Omen, OLP MM5 bass

http://www.soundcloud.com/wookieslayer
My Youtube channel - Gear demos and stuff
Wookieslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 04:53 AM   #11
SS.org Regular

Edika is a glorious beacon of lightEdika is a glorious beacon of lightEdika is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddtonfire View Post
Lol. Everything needs to be toned down - while the population is increasing, intelligence remains a constant.
Another Douglas Adams fan perhaps?
Edika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 05:04 AM   #12
SS.org Regular

Edika is a glorious beacon of lightEdika is a glorious beacon of lightEdika is a glorious beacon of light
There have been arguments in different countries about simplifying their language, since the amount of information required to be assimilated by the average student is a lot more than it used to be. That and the fact that the amount of dyslectic kids appearing in schools is increasing. Even in Greek language there are a lot of scholars that would be in favor of simplifying the spelling of some words since the old spelling has to do with the Ancient Greek language and it's phonetics which doesn't apply anymore in Modern Greek.

But my personal opinion is that you need a quite good knowledge of your language to understand all the other subjects in school. I had students that could not understand the definitions in Math and Physics because they couldn't understand the condensed four sentences of difficult language and were bored of reading the one page explanation in easier language. And of course the complexity of a language excersices the brain increases intelligence and is a sign of civilisation.
Edika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 05:08 AM   #13
Set up us the bomb

MF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himself
stupid. just stupid. basically shitting all over the whole idea of the language to begin with.

the words come from other places, that's kinda the idea. latin, spanish, german, french, even norwegian words, and more.

the idea that someone wants "american" to be it's own language scares me. like, how cut-off and isolated does america have to be from the rest of the world before people will be happy? there's this whole sense of xenophobia towards everything not america that keeps showing up here and there, though mostly from the conservatives. you know, the "DERKA JERBS!" people. the ones who protested with signs like "lern english, stuped!", ya know?

--------------------------------------
What will metal be doing in ten years? What ever Meshuggah will be doing in two.
-Anthony
MF_Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 05:14 AM   #14
Geek-chic

liamh is a name known to allliamh is a name known to allliamh is a name known to allliamh is a name known to all
Wow, what a bunch of lazy inbreds.
If they even think that they stand the most miniscule shred of a chance, they're retarded.
liamh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 05:24 AM   #15
Theory God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF_Kitten View Post
stupid. just stupid. basically shitting all over the whole idea of the language to begin with.

the words come from other places, that's kinda the idea. latin, spanish, german, french, even norwegian words, and more.

the idea that someone wants "american" to be it's own language scares me. like, how cut-off and isolated does america have to be from the rest of the world before people will be happy? there's this whole sense of xenophobia towards everything not america that keeps showing up here and there, though mostly from the conservatives. you know, the "DERKA JERBS!" people. the ones who protested with signs like "lern english, stuped!", ya know?
Well, I think that these protestors are in the minority (after all, it's four of them, protesting in front of a spelling bee ). But I would not be surprised if there was a good chunk of Americans who would back this, if they knew somebody was saying something about it. However, there are enough people here with the presence of mind to say, "No, that's just idiotic."

Or maybe I'm placing too much trust in my fellow nationals. Now that I think of it, though, there have been cultures in the past that have had separate written languages between the academic world and that of the ordinary. Vulgar Latin comes to mind, and ancient Egypt had its equivalent, Demotic script. Of course, the idea of changing the entire written language is still idiotic and does not represent the trend of educational and technological advancement that has happened over the last couple centuries, much less the recent phenomenon of globalization.

Furthermore, the intermingling of languages is a beautiful thing. I'm a student of French, and it's really awesome when I know that a word in English is spelled the exact same way in French, and may carry the same meaning. Vocabulary's social heritage is something we should embrace, if only to make our lives easier.

Unread 06-04-2010, 08:09 AM   #16
SS.org Regular

ddtonfire is just really niceddtonfire is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edika View Post
Another Douglas Adams fan perhaps?
Believe it or not, I've never read him.
ddtonfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 08:51 AM   #17
Bassist of Redivider

Despised_0515 is a name known to allDespised_0515 is a name known to allDespised_0515 is a name known to allDespised_0515 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Way to make us look even more ridiculously unintelligent, you four.

I can just imagine their level of understanding on grammar.
Despised_0515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 08:57 AM   #18
Now with Less Hair!

13point9 is a splendid one to behold13point9 is a splendid one to behold13point9 is a splendid one to behold13point9 is a splendid one to behold13point9 is a splendid one to behold
ill just retort to them with this...

"I won't be satisfied until somebody can whammy a whole piano." Pink Freud

".... that, I'd rather eat 20 pounds of steak and then prove how jacked I am by having angry sex with their mothers whilst curling 200 pounds and drinking ale." maliciousteve
13point9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 09:35 AM   #19
/)'3'(\

ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.
Are those protesters on drugs?

Ride the wings of death!

"Seriously... You DO NOT headbang with your knees" Murmel

ittoa666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 01:57 PM   #20
Metal Teddy Bear

auxioluck is a name known to allauxioluck is a name known to allauxioluck is a name known to allauxioluck is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Thanks, lolcats.
auxioluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 02:45 PM   #21
SS.org Regular

pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
I support changing "C" to make the "Ch" sound only.

We have the letters "S" and "K" that complete "C"s function.
pink freud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 02:56 PM   #22
Rainbow In The Dark

Origin is just really niceOrigin is just really nice
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Just because you're not able to comprehend it doesn't mean we have to dumb it down. That's just ....ing childish and stupid, not to mention pathetic. Can't believe that there's actually protesters dedicated to such asinine garbage.

Praise the sun!
Origin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 02:57 PM   #23
CFB
SS.org Regular

CFB is a jewel in the rough
I love this idea. I think they are absolutely right and that we should indeed change the language this way. Why?
Because you would instantly be able to tell if a retarded person on the internet is a redneck or not.
Think about it. This has insane potential. I love it
CFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 07:46 PM   #24
"This is the end...

Furtive Glance is a glorious beacon of lightFurtive Glance is a glorious beacon of lightFurtive Glance is a glorious beacon of light
Freaks.

This is the end of dog racing."
Furtive Glance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 10:26 PM   #25
SDMF, mofos

Aurochs34 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezShredderB View Post
How much did it hurt you to type that sentence out? It hurt me a lot to read it, and I had to dumb my brain down a bit.
yeah not gonna lie, it was actually quite difficult to type that

"The Beard laughed, a sad laugh, it was the sound of birds being scrunched under foot."
Aurochs34 is offline   Reply With Quote