homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Off-Topic
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Off-Topic All non guitar/music related discussion here. Keep things work-safe.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-08-2010, 05:01 AM   #1

Guitarwizard is just really niceGuitarwizard is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have decided to start my own business

Some of you might have seen this thread:Commercial Film Score.

Composing music for any kind of commercial use, wheter advertisements, phone waiting-lines or what ever, has always been in my head. As far as I can imagine, or at least as I assume and hope, this field seems to be one of the last ones in which there's actually money to be made by making music.
I have done some some similar jobs in the past on a semi-pro basis, some with pay, some without, but lately I have become more serious about it and I have a small portfolio together to show.
I think by the time I became quite good at it, and I'm ready to take the next step.

My goal is to get the business running by first concentrating on telephone waiting-line stuff.
There are tons of small businesses which have their main connection to the outside world through the telephone, but still use the boring beep-beep tone.
Also, as the piece of music will be played through a really bad mono-speaker anyway, there is no need to really get the highest-possible production quality.
Also, as I don't really have a network yet of very good studio musicians,
I have good chances to do most of the jobs by only using VST's and synths (of which 99% of commercially used music consists anyway).
But nevertheless, I don't have enough opportunities at the moment to also offer vocals, for example. But that shall change sometime, I think.

Getting customers will probably be the hardest part. I think I will start by focussing on internet (website, mailings) and mass-sendings of advertisements through the good ol' postal service.

In the far future I want to expand the whole thing on to website-sounds, corporate audio, tv-spot music and so on.
But I'll see what the future brings.

Any suggestions, thoughts?
Has someone of you done something similar?
Can you see any must-do's and big no-no's I should be aware of?
How do you think should I handle the pricing, what would YOU pay for a similar service?
From a technical view, what equipment do you think I NEED to have?
So far, everythings been basically doable with just loads of VSTs. Is there anything else you recommend?

Thanks guys!

If you change 4 letters in "Mama", it's "Beer"!

Me: myspace.com/odilovonins
My Band: myspace.com/legendaaureaofficial
Guitarwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-08-2010, 05:13 PM   #2
likes peanut butter

Daiephir is just really niceDaiephir is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I cant say I've done any of this, but I wish you luck

- Give it a rest. Do you really think that this thread is of a serious nature? 8Fingers is reeling you in. He didn't even have to put any ....ing bait on the hook. - CIAM in the 5 Bands you can't stand thread - saying this to toolsound
- It would just be like "BWOMP BWOMP BWOMP" vs the "VRuuuuOOOOmmmmMMRRRROooomRRR" of the engine. - A subwoofer vs. engine sound, by ESP Griffyn
- New used car fund: 0$, I bought one
Daiephir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 05:15 PM   #3
ALL HAIL DJOD

Rick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I think it's pretty ....ing cool. Any job where you get paid to write music is awesome.

Head of Agile Gestapo

Line 6 XDS95-->Line 6 POD X3 Pro-->Matrix GT800FX-->Line 6 Spidervalve 4x12 cabinet
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2010, 02:30 AM   #4
Poland CEO / RHLC

Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
I think it's pretty ....ing cool. Any job where you get paid to write music is awesome.
I have to agree with Rick

S7Figures.DeviantArt.com - Metal Figures!
Sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2010, 07:00 AM   #5
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
You found a talent, you saw an application, you will succeed.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/signaturepics/sigpic17517_3.gif
Customisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote