homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Off-Topic
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Off-Topic All non guitar/music related discussion here. Keep things work-safe.

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-11-2010, 08:07 PM   #51
None shall pass.

eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
So, I think what I've learned is:

Regardless of genres, some people are just douchebags

The Offensive Senses
Twitter
Facebook
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 01-11-2010, 08:08 PM   #52
WWSD?

DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-O View Post
At least he's not hairy
Ahem..hairy men are sexy. Shaved men just look...well...gay. I can't stand when guys do that shit.
Unread 01-11-2010, 08:15 PM   #53
Vulcan Lute God

kung_fu is a name known to allkung_fu is a name known to allkung_fu is a name known to allkung_fu is a name known to all
Honestly, i'm seeing the exact opposite happen. It seems that most bands these days aren't afraid to be silly and make fun of themselves. I think people have realized how stupid the macho chest-beating posing of the 80s and 90s was. Also with respect to the whole "gay" thing, just watch the Louis CK bit.

Possibly NSFW due to some foul language:

David Warren Brubeck (December 6, 1920 December 5, 2012)
Unread 01-11-2010, 08:17 PM   #54
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
^^i can't stand people.
Unread 01-11-2010, 08:29 PM   #55
I LIKE JUICE!!!

TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven59 View Post
True enough, it just seems like a large number of people take that shit seriously and it's starting to piss me off and make me want to quit the scene.
So ditch the scene and enjoy the music on your own.

"Tom, you're like 1 part a serious dork, and 2 parts the most awesome ....ing guy ever." -
Unread 01-11-2010, 08:29 PM   #56
S-O
t(-.-t)

S-O is just really niceS-O is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakkarTyrannis View Post
Ahem..hairy men are sexy. Shaved men just look...well...gay. I can't stand when guys do that shit.
Respectable. I guess I am just more down for well groomed, there can be hair, I just need it to be under control. Mostly to counteract me:

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/y...a/DSCN0704.jpg

That goes for my women too.

That's right, I need my women to have well kept beards and chest hair.
Unread 01-11-2010, 08:31 PM   #57
Down-pick or die

Neal is a jewel in the rough
I think the whole macho, metal as a release of anger etc. thing is great for teenagers who don't/can't get laid, but is essentially retarded. A loud, distorted guitar and loud ass drums can represent a lot of things other than anger and frustration. Granted that's a big part of it, but it also just sounds ....ing cool. Jazz isn't an expression of sex and crime, but it's been used in movie soundtracks for sleazy sex and crime scenes for decades. Mosh pits, tattoos, flexed muscles, long hair, shaved heads, pointy guitars - all of those things are really separate from the music for me.

I think racism is more rampant in metal scenes, at least in America, than sexism or homophobia.

But maybe that's just me.
Unread 01-11-2010, 08:46 PM   #58
WWSD?

DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.DrakkarTyrannis is the epitome of metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
I think the whole macho, metal as a release of anger etc. thing is great for teenagers who don't/can't get laid, but is essentially retarded. A loud, distorted guitar and loud ass drums can represent a lot of things other than anger and frustration. Granted that's a big part of it, but it also just sounds ....ing cool. Jazz isn't an expression of sex and crime, but it's been used in movie soundtracks for sleazy sex and crime scenes for decades. Mosh pits, tattoos, flexed muscles, long hair, shaved heads, pointy guitars - all of those things are really separate from the music for me.

I think racism is more rampant in metal scenes, at least in America, than sexism or homophobia.

Racism is something I rarely see. When dealing with black metal and the whole NSBM thing then maybe, but I've gone to shows with skinheads and whatnot and had 0 issue. I've never been hassled about anything really.

Quote:
Respectable. I guess I am just more down for well groomed, there can be hair, I just need it to be under control. Mostly to counteract me:

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/y...a/DSCN0704.jpg

That goes for my women too.

That's right, I need my women to have well kept beards and chest hair.
I don't have a lot of body hair, but the hair I do have goes nowhere. I shave nothing below the neck. Unless a guy has an extra, extra amount of hair..no shaving. Then again I like wooly lookin dudes and bears and shit.

Last edited by DrakkarTyrannis; 01-11-2010 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Unread 01-11-2010, 09:07 PM   #59
One Among the Fence

xXxPriestessxXx is a splendid one to beholdxXxPriestessxXx is a splendid one to beholdxXxPriestessxXx is a splendid one to beholdxXxPriestessxXx is a splendid one to beholdxXxPriestessxXx is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:

I seem to have seen more racism in punk and ska type stuff. Guess it is different in different regions.

Stash the trash, beautify SS.org. Do your part to keep this place great. To learn more about the forum rules; CLICK HERE.

"You are the music, while the music lasts"- T.S. Eliot
Unread 01-11-2010, 09:15 PM   #60
in love with Judas

E Lucevan Le Stelle is a glorious beacon of lightE Lucevan Le Stelle is a glorious beacon of lightE Lucevan Le Stelle is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Paul I think it is. The little one..not the one with all the hair. Clearly I'm a diehard Cynic fan
Paul certainly comes across as gay...

...and he's ....ing gorgeous

I asked him if he wanted to get a drink someplace after the Cynic reunion show in London - he kind of brushed me off with being "too busy". Now that would have been some (gay) metal credibility

I killed a girl and I liked it, the taste of blood on my hatchet...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJgWhW4AyT8
Unread 01-11-2010, 09:23 PM   #61
WWSD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Lucevan Le Stelle View Post
Paul certainly comes across as gay...

...and he's ....ing gorgeous

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1319/...d017cf.jpg?v=0

I asked him if he wanted to get a drink someplace after the Cynic reunion show in London - he kind of brushed me off with being "too busy". Now that would have been some (gay) metal credibility
Meh..not really my thing.

You know the funny thing with Cynic is, before I knew anything about them, I tried getting into their music. Didn't like it at all. Talking this over with a friend, he asked me why and I told him that "it just sounds gay" Then I find out what I know now..funny how that works.
Unread 01-11-2010, 09:35 PM   #62
S-O
t(-.-t)

Seems like gay is pretty damn metal.

I guess the homophobia is really just in your scene. Bummer.
Unread 01-11-2010, 09:39 PM   #63
None shall pass.

eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.
Quote:
Seems like gay is pretty damn metal.

I guess the homophobia is really just in your scene. Bummer.
I think it's mainly a misunderstanding on my part

The Offensive Senses
Twitter
Facebook
Unread 01-11-2010, 09:53 PM   #64
E♭M7(♭5)

TheHandOfStone is a name known to allTheHandOfStone is a name known to allTheHandOfStone is a name known to allTheHandOfStone is a name known to all
Quote:
Paul I think it is. The little one..not the one with all the hair. Clearly I'm a diehard Cynic fan
This makes a lot of sense, actually. Chuck sang about Masdival in The Philosopher: "So you preach about how I'm supposed to be, yet you don't know your own sexuality."

"Food to help some wolf that eats your ass generate enough sperm to impregnate their mate. Right there.... boom. Your energy was literally used to create a baby wolf...so in some way you are apart of the wolf.
Non of this 'ima come back as a mighty shark and rule the sea or some shit' just death as we know it. You and all your youness totally gone. But your death is totally required for the rest of existence to thrive."
-BadStarWanderer on reincarnation
Unread 01-11-2010, 09:53 PM   #65
S-O
t(-.-t)

Quote:
I think it's mainly a misunderstanding on my part
Maybe it is a lot more subtle than we realize, and your scene is just a little less subtle.
Unread 01-11-2010, 10:01 PM   #66
in love with Judas

E Lucevan Le Stelle is a glorious beacon of lightE Lucevan Le Stelle is a glorious beacon of lightE Lucevan Le Stelle is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHandOfStone View Post
This makes a lot of sense, actually. Chuck sang about Masdival in The Philosopher: "So you preach about how I'm supposed to be, yet you don't know your own sexuality."
Yep. He fell out with Masvidal and Reinert in '93 because they wanted to take the band in the jazz/metal direction that ended up with Focus, while he wanted to carry on with his ideas - especially given that Masvidal and Reinert had just been hired as session guys, really. "The Philosopher" was just a cheap shot at Masvidal for trying to take over creative direction in the band.

I killed a girl and I liked it, the taste of blood on my hatchet...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJgWhW4AyT8
Unread 01-11-2010, 10:06 PM   #67
the green machine

Zugster is just really niceZugster is just really nice
Quote:
...And we can all agree that the people I've mentioned have more than proven themselves in the scene and no one thinks twice about it. Surely you have a few who don't care but so what? That's life. You can write songs about eating people and raping dead children but you run crying because some idiot called you a fag?
Ummm... how is raping dead children and the like, manly? I don't get it.

Quote:

+1

...this rig requires something with a little more kick... plutonium!

Last edited by Zugster; 01-11-2010 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Unread 01-11-2010, 10:13 PM   #68
WWSD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zugster View Post
Ummm... how is raping dead children and the like, manly? I don't get it.
I never said it was. But if you can write overly aggressive brutish songs and put yourself into such a mindset, you shouldn't cringe like a little girl at a silly name.
Unread 01-11-2010, 10:14 PM   #69
S-O
t(-.-t)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Lucevan Le Stelle View Post
Yep. He fell out with Masvidal and Reinert in '93 because they wanted to take the band in the jazz/metal direction that ended up with Focus, while he wanted to carry on with his ideas - especially given that Masvidal and Reinert had just been hired as session guys, really. "The Philosopher" was just a cheap shot at Masvidal for trying to take over creative direction in the band.
That's funny, I always felt that Individual Thought Patterns was continuing on with the sound that Human started, and led to what Symbolic and the Sound of Perseverance would be.

Human and Symbolic are my favorite ones from them, kind of lame that Chuck bashed on Paul like that, never noticed it before though, don't listen to ITP that much.

I thought I read everywhere that Chuck was down with Paul and Sean pitching ideas to him, guess I read wrong.
Unread 01-11-2010, 10:19 PM   #70
WWSD?

Quote:
That's funny, I always felt that Individual Thought Patterns was continuing on with the sound that Human started, and led to what Symbolic and the Sound of Perseverance would be.

Human and Symbolic are my favorite ones from them, kind of lame that Chuck bashed on Paul like that, never noticed it before though, don't listen to ITP that much.

I thought I read everywhere that Chuck was down with Paul and Sean pitching ideas to him, guess I read wrong.
Ya know..Chuck seemed ultra gay to me. That girlfriend business fools no one. Homeboy was sweet.
Unread 01-11-2010, 10:41 PM   #71
S-O
t(-.-t)

Quote:
Ya know..Chuck seemed ultra gay to me. That girlfriend business fools no one. Homeboy was sweet.
I genuinely lol'd.
Unread 01-12-2010, 01:07 AM   #72
All Fourths Advocate

Waelstrum is just really niceWaelstrum is just really nice
One of my favorite you-tube arguments is when some idiot calls symphony x 'gay' and 'un-metal', and someone else replies so's rob halford and he's the god of metal.
Unread 01-12-2010, 01:12 AM   #73
Ex Whiny Bitch

Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesebuiscut View Post
Personally I spent most of my grade school years making people feel extremely uncomfortable with countless of gay jokes. Unfortunately this made a lot of people think I was actually gay and I got more gay guys making passes at me than girls...

What happened to Jeff? Funny how he dropped off the radar now that the entire Western world disagrees with his right wing bullshit.
Unread 01-12-2010, 01:24 AM   #74
SS Contributor

wannabguitarist has much to be proud ofwannabguitarist has much to be proud ofwannabguitarist has much to be proud ofwannabguitarist has much to be proud ofwannabguitarist has much to be proud ofwannabguitarist has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
I thought I read in some interview that Paul had a wife and kids . Not that that means he's not gay, or that him being gay makes Cynic any less awesome (but does that make my man-crush on his musical abilities weird now?). From all the interviews I've seen he comes off like the kind of person that would have no problem openly coming out, and it wouldn't surprise me if he did.

I also never thought of metal being homophobic; maybe it's the just the metalheads I know though . And isn't being gay like the ultimate peak in macho-ness?
Unread 01-12-2010, 01:52 AM   #75
Hates the Air

Metal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from Cirrhosis
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
They'll (almost) always deny being actually homophobic/sexist, but they'll still be extremely disrespectful towards women/gays, and any time they don't like something it's "gay".
A while back, i knew a couple of lesbians who were into metal, and they'd be the first to call something they didnt like "Gay" or "faggy"
Closed Thread