homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Off-Topic
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Off-Topic All non guitar/music related discussion here. Keep things work-safe.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-05-2009, 11:09 PM   #1
Loves his Q-tuners

Cheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
New production guitars suuccckk... *rant*

So I went to the store today to get some strings and figured *wtf, I haven't sat down with a new guitar in whats gotta be 6-8 months now lets give it a whirl and see if I have a new opinion of them with all my new found knowledge*

Yeah... new non-prestige ibanez necks feel / look like baseball bats, Prestige necks only slightly better along with jackson. Esp and prs both pretty chunky (and I still don't get why prs has those hugee neck heels which ruins any chance of comfortable upper fret access) Fiddled with a ibanez orm1 and it felt like a toy but that was probably the 24" scale.

Ooh they did have a Giger S series there which I nearly shat a brick when I saw! The inlays are actually a mirror pretty deep with a clear piece ontop of it which looks sick and the body was nice but it was heavy as all hell and played no better than any other new prestige ibby I picked up.

After I got my strings I bounced back home, polished my frets and gave a much needed setup and reminded myself why I hadn't bothered picking up any new guitars in the last 6 months. I think I'll be sticking with used for the rest of my life unless I manage to afford a custom.

On a positive note I played my first JS and I can safely say the JS series has the most comfortable body imaginable. All it needs is to shift the body a little bit so the lower horns farther out of the way and a superwizard neck and it would be heaven.

Oh and as I was walking to the counter to get strings I realized they restocked the amps and there was damn near every mesa amp currently being made along with 4 VHT's + some orange and I'm totally going to go back with my guitar another day and piss off the staff by playing damn near all of those amps.
Cheesebuiscut is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-06-2009, 02:50 AM   #2
SS.org Regular

Fionn is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
(and I still don't get why prs has those hugee neck heels which ruins any chance of comfortable upper fret access)
Its there purposly to inhibit shredding...

Quote:
Oh and as I was walking to the counter to get strings I realized they restocked the amps and there was damn near every mesa amp currently being made along with 4 VHT's + some orange and I'm totally going to go back with my guitar another day and piss off the staff by playing damn near all of those amps.
GOD DAMN IT! I wish there was somewhere round here like that!!!

Perfection at Blistering Speeds! TM
Fionn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2009, 03:13 AM   #3
can't bend....

Necrophagist777 is just really niceNecrophagist777 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fionn View Post

Tell that to Emil from Daath :P
Necrophagist777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2009, 11:34 AM   #4
Loves his Q-tuners

Cheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
It wasn't too bad when I picked up a used 24 fret model a completely different time, but the 22 fret new one that was at this store was just awful, it was easily bigger than a standard block heel on an old bolt on it just made it impossible to do anything comfortably up there. I'm pretty sure the blocks not that big on the ones artists get their hands on.
Unread 11-06-2009, 11:47 AM   #5
Iraq Lobster.

synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
And all this time I just thought it was done with the sole purpose in mind of pissing off Ed Roman.
synrgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2009, 12:25 PM   #6
SS.org Regular

cycloptopus is a jewel in the rough
Yeah, what's the deal with the Ibanez necks on the newest guitars? I got a Prestige RG2610 like a couple of years ago, so it's fairly new, but the neck is wider and thicker than an RG2550 I just picked up recently, which was made in '04. I definitely like the neck on the 2550 better. Thin like the old 550's but it's a 3 piece neck with da wood thing for the locking nut so it's not bolted through and breaks. Buying Ibby's used is pretty much the way to go...
cycloptopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2009, 01:49 PM   #7
porkshop sammiches

sami is shredding to new heights.sami is shredding to new heights.sami is shredding to new heights.sami is shredding to new heights.sami is shredding to new heights.sami is shredding to new heights.sami is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I miss my 550. I bought it new in 1996.

ɹıɐ-lǝq pǝllɐɔ uʍoʇ ɐ ɟo ǝɔuıɹd ǝɥʇ ǝɯɐɔǝq ı ʍoɥ noʎ llǝʇ ll,ı
ǝɹǝɥʇ ʇɥƃıɹ ʇıs ʇsnɾ ǝʇnuıɯ ɐ ǝʞɐʇ oʇ ǝʞıl p,ı puɐ
uʍop ǝpısdn pǝuɹnʇ 'pǝddılɟ ʇoƃ ǝɟıl ʎɯ
ʍoɥ ʇnoqɐ llɐ ʎɹoʇs ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ ʍou

OH GOD WHY AM I TELLING YOU THIS - DDDorian
sami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2009, 01:51 PM   #8
SS.org Regular

pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:

Yeah, its for people who want play chords, or some bullshit like that
pink freud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2009, 02:05 PM   #9
flo

flo is a name known to allflo is a name known to allflo is a name known to allflo is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink freud View Post
Yeah, its for people who want play chords, or some bullshit like that
You made my day!
flo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2009, 02:11 PM   #10
SS.org Regular

cycloptopus is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sami View Post
I miss my 550. I bought it new in 1996.
Yeah, I miss mine too. I traded it in when I got the dreaded nut crack. I should have just got a new neck, live and learn I guess. But the Rg2550 (at least from 04) gives me what I remember from my old 550. I think the reissues look good but I just can't justify the price tag when I was able to get the 2550 for like $450.
cycloptopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2009, 03:09 PM   #11
Loves his Q-tuners

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycloptopus View Post
Yeah, what's the deal with the Ibanez necks on the newest guitars? I got a Prestige RG2610 like a couple of years ago, so it's fairly new, but the neck is wider and thicker than an RG2550 I just picked up recently, which was made in '04. I definitely like the neck on the 2550 better. Thin like the old 550's but it's a 3 piece neck with da wood thing for the locking nut so it's not bolted through and breaks. Buying Ibby's used is pretty much the way to go...
Ibanez has been making their necks thicker and redid the shape so it has wider shoulders at some point.

Most ibanez nazi's like myself won't buy an ibanez that was made after 2000 (most people say 2002 to be safe but... I like to be ultra safe)

New guitars across all price ranges just feel like crap to me now vs my old ibby S series with the superwizard neck. The superwizard neck is as thick at the 12th fret as current ibanez's are at the 1st fret.

and honestly I think it has more to do with the shape of the neck more than the thickness. Oddly enough my indo RG plays better than most of the prestiges I picked up yesterday, guess I just got lucky with it! I feel bad it doesn't get much playing time anymore since I got the S though.
Unread 11-06-2009, 03:23 PM   #12
Crazy Finn that is

Heeboja is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrophagist777 View Post
Tell that to Emil from Daath :P
That's only with the SE. Compare these shots:

Is Top Gun a gay movie?
Heeboja is offline   Reply With Quote