homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques Discussions on Theory, member submitted lessons, practice regimens and everything else.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-22-2009, 01:30 PM   #26
SS.org Regular

Maniacal is a name known to allManiacal is a name known to allManiacal is a name known to allManiacal is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You have no idea.

Books, posters, play along lessons and apps!

I teach on Skype - If you purchased my books, first lesson is free!

http://www.shredtraining.com

Please subscribe to my YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/shredtraining
Maniacal is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 07-22-2009, 01:55 PM   #27
Ex Whiny Bitch

Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
No you didn't.
we'll find out if he can do it or not when he posts a video, I for one have no reason to doubt him, what's yours?

What happened to Jeff? Funny how he dropped off the radar now that the entire Western world disagrees with his right wing bullshit.
Scar Symmetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2009, 02:10 PM   #28
Guitar Comrade

HammerAndSickle is just really niceHammerAndSickle is just really nice
Quote:
You didn't play 16ths at 280 BPM for 5 seconds.
Way to be a condescending douche. Who made you arbiter of what is and isn't possible for someone else? Someone whose abilities, experiences, and resources you have no idea of?

It's not like it's unheard of. Some of the better players in history have been clocked around that point. So what you're saying is you either don't believe the science behind it (understandable) or you place legendary players on a pedestal as "gods". They're human too, why in the world can Buckethead do it but Maniacal not?

I'm not gonna neg rep you because all it does is start whining over e-points, but consider it in the same fashion. Posts like that are neither informative nor relevant to the topic at hand and merely illustrate some personal failings of your own.
HammerAndSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2009, 02:12 PM   #29
7ibrarian

ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
I'm just trying to help you to stop being so deluded.

If you have Dyspraxia though, I understand.
Ok, 16ths at 280 is ....ing fast but why doubt the dude? He's prepared to put up a video of him playing the lick at that tempo so in my book at least he isn't claiming anything he can't prove.....and in doing so he knows that people are going to scrutinise it carefully.

I've talked to the man a couple of times and he's always been nothing but sincere and helpful - he's never once given me any reason to put him in the same category as those bullshit "World Record" shredders on YouTube.

While raping a bear in Yellowstone and snorting coke out of a freshly-dead baby's skull, I finally felt that I had found my calling and built a time machine out of Iraqi WMDs and LOTS OF HEMP WHOA. Using this time machine I went back in time and shot JFK from outer ....ing space. I am now your god - Jeff
.....and then all of a sudden he drops the musical equivilant of a steaming turd right in our laps - ESP Griffyn
ShadyDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2009, 05:33 PM   #30
:O

Excalibur is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyDavey View Post
Ok, 16ths at 280 is ....ing fast but why doubt the dude? He's prepared to put up a video of him playing the lick at that tempo so in my book at least he isn't claiming anything he can't prove.....and in doing so he knows that people are going to scrutinise it carefully.

I've talked to the man a couple of times and he's always been nothing but sincere and helpful - he's never once given me any reason to put him in the same category as those bullshit "World Record" shredders on YouTube.
Because I've called bullshit before, and this just reeks of it.
I don't doubt that he's a fast player, just not THAT fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerAndSickle View Post
Way to be a condescending douche. Who made you arbiter of what is and isn't possible for someone else? Someone whose abilities, experiences, and resources you have no idea of?

It's not like it's unheard of. Some of the better players in history have been clocked around that point. So what you're saying is you either don't believe the science behind it (understandable) or you place legendary players on a pedestal as "gods". They're human too, why in the world can Buckethead do it but Maniacal not?

I'm not gonna neg rep you because all it does is start whining over e-points, but consider it in the same fashion. Posts like that are neither informative nor relevant to the topic at hand and merely illustrate some personal failings of your own.
Fair enough, I'm just thinking he's overexaggerating a tad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar Symmetry View Post
we'll find out if he can do it or not when he posts a video, I for one have no reason to doubt him, what's yours?
Too many claims like his, is my reason.
Like you said though, we will see
Excalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2009, 05:44 PM   #31
SS.org Regular

Maniacal is a name known to allManiacal is a name known to allManiacal is a name known to allManiacal is a name known to all
I can see why you should doubt it.

It is going to be really difficult for me to do. I might never be able to play cleanly at 280 but this thread was started as a way for me to motivate myself to get there. I know there are a lot of ridiculous claims, but I havent actually claimed anything yet, I just made a note on here of my progress.

And because I can do bursts at 280 does not mean I have total control at that tempo. It also doesn't mean I can just pick up a guitar and play at 280.

This will take serious work to actually be comfortable at that tempo.

And if I don't get there, so what? At least I will be very comfortable playing slower.

Unread 07-22-2009, 05:47 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniacal View Post
I can see why you should doubt it.

It is going to be really difficult for me to do. I might never be able to play cleanly at 280 but this thread was started as a way for me to motivate myself to get there. I know there are a lot of ridiculous claims, but I havent actually claimed anything yet, I just made a note on here of my progress.

And because I can do bursts at 280 does not mean I have total control at that tempo. It also doesn't mean I can just pick up a guitar and play at 280.

This will take serious work to actually be comfortable at that tempo.

And if I don't get there, so what? At least I will be very comfortable playing slower.
I wish you all the best, and I'm sorry if I came across as condescending.

Reading so many speed claims really takes it toll on you
Unread 07-22-2009, 05:57 PM   #33
SS.org Regular

I know. I am not concerned with other peoples speeds though, being the fastest does not interest me. I just want to see if I can do it, plus it gives me something fun to aim for this summer.

Unread 07-22-2009, 07:21 PM   #34
S-O
t(-.-t)

S-O is just really niceS-O is just really nice
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Go go go go!

~16-17 nps is the fastest I can play while staying anywhere near what could be called comfortable. But mostly on repetitive Paul Gilbert style lick, not saying they are bad sounding, just are 'easier' because they are repetitive >.<

I would love, and hope to some day have the freedom in playing that guys like Shawn Lane have. Someday :/

Good luck man!
S-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2009, 04:17 AM   #35

Great, here comes the anonymous neg reps again.
Unread 07-23-2009, 04:28 AM   #36
ss.org Regular

tbird11 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniacal View Post
I know. I am not concerned with other peoples speeds though, being the fastest does not interest me. I just want to see if I can do it, plus it gives me something fun to aim for this summer.
good luck man, best wishes, don't sweat the naysayers
tbird11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2009, 04:41 AM   #37
Ex Whiny Bitch

Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Great, here comes the anonymous neg reps again.
read your posts back again.

did you really think you'd get away with posting stuff like without getting some flack for it?

no, of course not.

What happened to Jeff? Funny how he dropped off the radar now that the entire Western world disagrees with his right wing bullshit.
Scar Symmetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2009, 05:09 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar Symmetry View Post
read your posts back again.

did you really think you'd get away with posting stuff like without getting some flack for it?

no, of course not.
That's not the issue I have with it, I'd prefer if they'd sign it.
Unread 07-23-2009, 05:56 AM   #39
F'king ............

distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Excalibur, it's been explained over and over and over again why the rep system is anonymous. Everything was automatically signed before, as it didn't work, as too many threads just degenerated into repping wars over trivial arguements. Given the amount of rep abuse since the change of management, I'm not suprised the mods aren't willing to change it back. On top of that, maybe re-read Steve and DDDorian's post about rep abuse; they've asked people to stop signing negs just for the above reasons.
If you genuinely feel someone's abusing the system, PM a mod, but given the tone of your posts in this thread, I can't imagine you'll get much sympathy to be perfectly honest.

Define 'well-adjusted'...

http://farsideguitars.blogspot.com/
distressed_romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2009, 03:11 PM   #40
S-O
t(-.-t)

Well, since you came off as a total ass, I assume the rep reflects it.

But then again, you are unlikely to meet anyone you talk to on the interwebz IRL, so it'd be best to shrug it off with a kthnxbai.
Unread 07-23-2009, 04:13 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-O View Post
Well, since you came off as a total ass, I assume the rep reflects it.

But then again, you are unlikely to meet anyone you talk to on the interwebz IRL, so it'd be best to shrug it off with a kthnxbai.
no u
Unread 07-23-2009, 05:27 PM   #42
Stop the Madness!

Nick is a splendid one to beholdNick is a splendid one to beholdNick is a splendid one to beholdNick is a splendid one to beholdNick is a splendid one to behold
im currently trying to boost my speed a bit as well

i want to be able to go far faster than any of our songs require.

been doing about 40 mins a day of random trem picking patterns my forearm is sore as ....!
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2009, 10:04 PM   #43
S-O
t(-.-t)

Quote:
no u
kthnxbai.

I guess in my case, I really can not back up any assertion to my skill, as I have no access to camz for the intwerwebz.
Unread 08-07-2009, 12:39 AM   #44
SS.org Regular

HumanFuseBen is shredding to new heights.HumanFuseBen is shredding to new heights.HumanFuseBen is shredding to new heights.HumanFuseBen is shredding to new heights.HumanFuseBen is shredding to new heights.HumanFuseBen is shredding to new heights.HumanFuseBen is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
soooo how is the quest coming along?
HumanFuseBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2009, 06:23 AM   #45
SS.org Regular

I havent done a speed test for a while. I have 260 down quite well now. 280 is still a way off though.

Rather than post little video clips, I am going to make a longish video in a few months when, hopefully, I have reached my goal.

Unread 08-16-2009, 02:12 PM   #46
edxgxsrfrz

Psychobuddy is just really nicePsychobuddy is just really nice
Hey man good luck, you've inspired me to start working on my speed I've always wanted to prove it to myself that I could play ridiculously fast[with control], I have a friend who learned Flight of the Bumblebee at 200, it was for a talent show, not really relevant but still, anyway good luck again
Psychobuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2009, 02:28 PM   #47
SS.org Regular

I feel I should update:

I went to Germany for 2 weeks and had no time to work on my speed. I just did a little speed workout and got to 270 bursts... which is annoying.

However, I start work next week and as long as students continue to not show up I should have plenty of time to work on getting to 280 by christmas.

Unread 09-18-2009, 10:21 AM   #48
SS.org Regular

HumanFuseBen is shredding to new heights.HumanFuseBen is shredding to new heights.HumanFuseBen is shredding to new heights.HumanFuseBen is shredding to new heights.HumanFuseBen is shredding to new heights.HumanFuseBen is shredding to new heights.HumanFuseBen is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
so are pretty much just working with a metronome to achieve these speeds? that is super ....ing fast, man.
HumanFuseBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2009, 10:28 AM   #49
1 less ERGNESS

ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
280 for Xmas sounds like a movie....what kind of?....mmmmm

good luck my friend!!!
ralphy1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2009, 06:17 PM   #50
SS.org Regular

Yeah, I am working with a metronome to get this.

Reverse barbell curls, drumming and lots of coffee also help.

The main difficulty I am having right now is accenting every 8... Its OK up about 250, but past that it just gets ridiculous.