homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques Discussions on Theory, member submitted lessons, practice regimens and everything else.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-22-2006, 02:40 AM   #1
F'king ............

distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tunings

Something I've been experimenting with recently is using a seven string for the core riff, and then using a six in an open tuning, such as open Bsus2 (BF#BF#BC#) to create a complimentary part. Got the idea from Strapping Young Lad originally...
It's an amazing sound, especially for big layered chords, a la Queensryche, but the problem is, it means I may have to start looking for a guitar buddy if I want to do it live (although with the current state of my band, there's not much chance of that happenning any time soon...).
Anyone else tried similar experiments?

Define 'well-adjusted'...

http://farsideguitars.blogspot.com/
distressed_romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 02-22-2006, 04:35 AM   #2
Spastic Kitchen!

bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Doesn't Matthias IA Eklund use a Bsus2 tuning as well?

My seven string guitar stays in one of two tunings almost all of the time, but I use lots of six string guitar/bass alternate tunings. I tune my baritone six to G#D#A#F G#C# (fifths and a minor triad, low to high)

If you really want to talk about tunings, I've got a 19-EDO tuned six string, and I hope to have a 19-EDO seven sometime soon. (couple months ?)

[URL="http://sites.google.com/site/bostjanzupancickhereb/"[/URL]
bostjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2006, 09:34 AM   #3
F'king ............

distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Mathias Ekhlund uses a couple of B tunings, but they're slightly different to the one I described. That baritone tuning's intriguing...I want to try it now, but my baritone's at home (currently tuned in fourths!).
The 19 notes-per-octave thing's cool, but I already play a fretless six, so I can have as many notes per octave as I want!

Unread 02-23-2006, 04:38 PM   #4
Spastic Kitchen!

bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.
I always thought the tuning for Led Zeppelin's "The Rain Song" was nifty: D G C G C D. A couple cool variations of this for seven string:
G D G C G C D - super low one- finger power chords, rich open chord voicings
A D G C G C D - more like standard, but the open A is a little useless compared to the G

Try these out on acoustic seven with heavy strings if you can

oops this has kind of been discussed already: alternate tunings

Last edited by bostjan; 02-23-2006 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Unread 02-23-2006, 05:54 PM   #5
5/4 > most

Akrin is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostjan
Doesn't Matthias IA Eklund use a Bsus2 tuning as well?
His 'main' tuning is C#sus4 - C# G# C# F# G# C#

He also uses A#m13, which is the same with with the low C# down to A# - A# G# C# F# G# C#

"I was always interested in the 'little black dots.' You know, the idea that you can take a piece of manuscript paper and write on it and have a whole orchestra at your beck and call - That's creativity."
-Steve Vai
Akrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2006, 08:26 PM   #6
F'king ............

I think he mainly uses those tunings for rhythm...all the leads are in standard or e flat tuning.

Unread 02-23-2006, 10:07 PM   #7
5/4 > most

Akrin is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by distressed_romeo
I think he mainly uses those tunings for rhythm...all the leads are in standard or e flat tuning.
As far as I've seen, the leads are in the same tunings as the rhythms. Otherwise how would he play them live?

"I was always interested in the 'little black dots.' You know, the idea that you can take a piece of manuscript paper and write on it and have a whole orchestra at your beck and call - That's creativity."
-Steve Vai
Akrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2006, 09:27 AM   #8
F'king ............

I can't imagine having all my lead patterns rearranged like that when I take a solo, although I'm aware Michael Manring does it all the time...eeek!

Unread 02-25-2006, 05:17 PM   #9
Spastic Kitchen!

Does he play them live? He's never come to the d, but I can't blame him.