homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques Discussions on Theory, member submitted lessons, practice regimens and everything else.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-11-2008, 10:07 PM   #1
Lord Zorgatron

HamBungler is a name known to allHamBungler is a name known to allHamBungler is a name known to allHamBungler is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The Crazy Tunings Thread

Have any crazy/interesting tunings that you have randomly discovered?

Just today I was jamming around with a buddy and decided to demonstrate some Djent, and discovered that GGCFAD is an awesome tuning! The octave chords are a lot of fun and its great to experiment with!

Discuss!

I'm assuming he's going to want to mass produce these rack pies, and why not? I love racks, I love pies, so put them together and you have pie covered titties. - JJ
Don't thank me, thank the wombat rapist. - Jamie
And Now, a song about Zombies.-some metalcore vocalist
Yeah the axe Devries made me automatically transforms into firewood! But it doesn't transform back. - udaz

Mah Deviantart

Myspace

The Many Faces of Egoraptor
HamBungler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2008, 03:20 PM   #2
F'king ............

distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.
DADGAE
DADF#AE
CGDAEF#
GbDbGbDbGbBbEb

I really like those ones, but haven't ever heard of anyone else using them...

Some wierd ones I like, but didn't actually discover on my own...

DADGAC
CGCGAD
BbFCGBbC
EbBbEbFBbEb
CGDGAD
ADADAAD
DGDGCD

Define 'well-adjusted'...

http://farsideguitars.blogspot.com/
distressed_romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2008, 08:27 PM   #3
Banned

Variant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himself
Well, The Black Oar of Doom, a.k.a. my Steinberger Syanpase 28.625" beritone is basically a subguitar tuning (a whole octave down, like a Fender VI bass, lets say), except the low E1 is subsituded with an A0, which would be a whole step lower than the low B0 on a six string bass. So you got:

A0 A1 D2 G2 B2 E3

Its interesting because you've got a whole octave jump between the two low strings which works becuase choring much below A1 generally doesn't come across well anyway. You can write some very cool riffs around it just jumping between the two A strings... sometimes just reinforing the pedal point with rhythems of the same note. The strings are a plain .016 for the "high" E and .022 for the B, with nickel wounds .034, .045, .058 for the middle strings, and the sub A0 is a .110 nickel wound bass string with the a guitar ball sugically implanted in place of the bass one.
Variant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2008, 10:40 PM   #4
Army Without A Flag

All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.
Right now The Great KittyThulhu is in GCGDAE. Sounds awesome!! I would do all fifths but my low G string (an 85 btw) just BARELY does F. I'm gonna step up to a 90 or 95, cause I wanna be able to do F,E,Eb, and even D on occasion.

No Nation. No Philosophy. No Ideology.
All_Ľour_Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2008, 01:36 AM   #5
AEADGBEA

Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Eb-A-D-G-B-E

Just simple, allows to voice a minor triad and shift it like a powerchord, while still keeping in relatively standard tuning.

G 1
D 3
A 3
Eb 2

Pseudo-Jazz Sophisticate
-The 7 and ERG Chord Melody [Jazz] Thread-
"If Stravinsky's music is that of the Earth, then Meshuggah's music is that of the Machine"

Teaching
Guitar-Piano Technique/Theory/Jazz & Classical University Prep

Ossington & Bloor area in Toronto.
I now do Sykpe lessons - Inquire via PM!
Trespass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2008, 01:40 AM   #6
SS.org Irregular

ohmanthisiscool is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
5 strings G/D/d/x/a/e I call it Faux-Mandolin tuning. like a mando, but only one string is doubled and its 1 octave higher (D&d, and no I'm not talking about the game ). as a whole I think its 1 octave below mandolin, like a bozuki.

Also the other day I grabbed the bottom 5 tuners and turned them one way or the other until I felt like stopping and came up with this gem : E/A#/C#/ab/ab/d# The 3 high strings can also sound mandoliny when strummed

Threadkiller
ohmanthisiscool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2008, 02:47 AM   #7
Army Without A Flag

All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmanthisiscool View Post
Also the other day I grabbed the bottom 5 tuners and turned them one way or the other until I felt like stopping and came up with this gem : E/A#/C#/ab/ab/d# The 3 high strings can also sound mandoliny when strummed
That's the kind of messed up, unclassifyable chord type I'd (purposefly) stumble upon.

No Nation. No Philosophy. No Ideology.
All_Ľour_Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2008, 03:35 AM   #8
plays in 69/42

Thrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud ofThrashmanzac has much to be proud of
it's not too crazy, well devy uses it alot, so perhaps it is
c g c g c e

....ing fun.

...Each guitarist has an evil fat 40 year old blueswankler trying to get out, If you give in to temptation you'll be sitting next to a fender playing john lee hooker while trying to keep your combover in place.

-Desecrated

being black and enjoying watermelon, i think this thread needs more watermelon.
budda
Thrashmanzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2008, 05:14 AM   #9
Desecrated
Dirty Lurker

D-major ADADF#AD

D-Minor ADADFAD

D-majordom7 ADACF#AD

D-Minordom7 ADACFAD

D-9 ADADF#CE

D-Min9 ADADFCE

D-MAJ7 ADAD#F#AD#

D-dim A#DA#DFA#D

C-major GCGCGCE

C-Minor GCGCGCD#

C-major7 GCGCGA#E

C-Minor7 GCGCGA#D#

C-9 GCGCGA#D

C-Min9 GCGDGA#D#

I'm sure these are discovered by others to, but I just happen to made a chart out of them and try them, some om them are really useful when writing songs.