homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques Discussions on Theory, member submitted lessons, practice regimens and everything else.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-10-2008, 08:04 PM   #1

unconventional is a name known to allunconventional is a name known to allunconventional is a name known to allunconventional is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Wrist pain

So I'm doing this exercise from this guy

GUITAR_TECHNIQUES_-_Guthrie_Govan_Module1_(Alt_Picking).wmv

And there is a little exercise on the g string

he's using 1,2 and 4 fingers.

I figure I'll use 1,3 and 4 as it's sort of what I'm use to but I got immense wrist pain. I can only do it for a minute then my hand kills.

What do you guys do? Like lifting weights, do a set and relax, do a set and relax?

I'm trying it down the 1st position primarily as that's where the weakness of the hand / fingers seems to come in

513531 513531 but on a 27" scale Schecter this is a hell of a stretch for the 1-3-4 combo. It's doable but painful. I can't seem to do 124 as it's not what I'm use to. What do you think?

I'm tired of my ....ing hand hurting and it's pissing me off.

Kevin

unconventional is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-11-2008, 08:51 AM   #2
Banned

Apophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himself
You need a rest, train using head, not only muscles If you feel pain, stop and try again, that's the only way or you will hurt yourself for real
Apophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2008, 12:43 PM   #3
Feral Buddha

stubhead is a glorious beacon of lightstubhead is a glorious beacon of lightstubhead is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
If you're a weight lifter, you already know that muscle pain = good, nerve pain = bad, tendon/ligament pain = you're ....ed for a while.... You may be pinching a nerve that can be corrected by experimenting with hand positioning - is your thumb in the back of the neck? Mine will often rest even all the way behind the high B string, people who "hate thin necks" don't get this. Hopefully you haven't swollen a nerve sheath. There's a little tendon that runs along the outside back of your little finger, if that hurts it's a warning sign to back off, and practice something else for a few days at least.

As far as technique goes, most everybody recommends starting this kind of exercise high up on the neck where it's totally comfortable, then moving it down slowly till it's less, and less, and less easy. I'm not sure how long Govan's fingers are but that does really make a difference too. You can roll your hand to a certain extent - hell, you can play frets 1-6-8-13 on one string with all four fingers if you think about it, seeing that fast enough is harder than fingering it fast enough. What you can't do is force an exercise to work sooner, without risking taking yourself out of the game for a spell.
Quote:
"Speed and fluency are a combination of two things. First and foremost, in your imagination, you must hear yourself playing in this way, or it won't happen for you on the fretboard. Secondly, be willing to attack the problem of inarticulation through work and application of exercises."
-John McLaughlin

"I was not ever interested in the music of boys. From my youngest years, I was interested in the music of men." - Eric Clapton
stubhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2008, 08:35 PM   #4

unconventional is a name known to allunconventional is a name known to allunconventional is a name known to allunconventional is a name known to all
[IMG]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTb_00L9dHlngAdbSjzbkF/SIG=13f1e6rfj/EXP=1205371060/**http%3A//www.eorthopod.com/images/ContentImages/wrist/wrist_anatomy/wrist_anatomy_bones04.jpg[/IMG]
Pretending that is the left hand looking at the palm side the pain is
where the Meta carpals and carpals is. My pinky is 2 1/4"

the problem is that when I try to get my thumb far under the neck, my wrist hurts like hell

Unread 03-12-2008, 02:16 PM   #5
Jan
SS.org Regular

Jan is a jewel in the rough
maybe your guitar is strapped too low... I know that playing an electric high up your chest looks lame, but it feels MUCH better and you don't have to strain so hard
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2008, 02:25 PM   #6

LOL, thanks, I already Erkel my guitar. I can't play it low.

The problem is my ....ing fingers are too short.

When I play my schecter hellraiser 07FR there is a lot more pain than if I play my xiphos 7 and or my MMTM2 6 string.

Kevin