homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques Discussions on Theory, member submitted lessons, practice regimens and everything else.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-16-2008, 07:44 PM   #1
Molto Accelerando!

Wolfie is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smile Tell us a musical rarity :)

So i figured this could be a usefull thread for people who wants to try out some crazy stuff that isnt much used or whatever..
So the deal is you tell us of one example of theory, technique or whatever and you explain what it is and how its used

Here's my contribution.

Its a pretty rare phenomenon called "Metric Modulations"

Ok bare with me cus this is a tough one..
Like a modulation in music normally means to go from one key to the other, metric modulations means to modulate within the timesignatures, beats and so on.
A crazy example of this could be that you have a 5 on 4 groove going, and after a couple of bars you decide that the second beat in the 5 will now become the first beat in a 7/8.
Virgil Donati anyone?

Feel Enjoy!
Wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 02-17-2008, 02:08 AM   #2
Desecrated
Dirty Lurker

Microtonality maybe,

But it's hard to mention anything here, everyone seems to know there stuff.
Unread 02-17-2008, 04:57 AM   #3
Banned

Apophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
on this board we mentioned almost everything we could find
Apophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2008, 08:24 AM   #4
Tremol-no User

arnoroth661 is a glorious beacon of lightarnoroth661 is a glorious beacon of lightarnoroth661 is a glorious beacon of light
Some people actually use six strings.

What a Djentleman!
arnoroth661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2008, 10:35 AM   #5
Try my fist!

Uber Mega has much to be proud ofUber Mega has much to be proud ofUber Mega has much to be proud ofUber Mega has much to be proud ofUber Mega has much to be proud ofUber Mega has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
So i figured this could be a usefull thread for people who wants to try out some crazy stuff that isnt much used or whatever..
So the deal is you tell us of one example of theory, technique or whatever and you explain what it is and how its used

Here's my contribution.

Its a pretty rare phenomenon called "Metric Modulations"

Ok bare with me cus this is a tough one..
Like a modulation in music normally means to go from one key to the other, metric modulations means to modulate within the timesignatures, beats and so on.
A crazy example of this could be that you have a 5 on 4 groove going, and after a couple of bars you decide that the second beat in the 5 will now become the first beat in a 7/8.
Virgil Donati anyone?
Rhymthic Modulations (as they're sometimes called) are cool, playing around alot with them at the moment...Gavin Harrison (Porcuopine Tree) does some very interesting stuff like that.
Uber Mega is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2008, 04:24 PM   #6
ss.org Regular

GuitarG2 is a jewel in the rough
Arpeggio substitution is pretty decent sounding, where you play a certain arpeggio that doesn't strictly correlate to the chord it's played over, as to imply chord extensions (phew! ). Say you got a Cm thing going (for all you 7-stringed 1st fret whores ), you could play a G major arpeggio for a sweet sounding Cm9 sound or a D minor arpeggio for a kinda-weird-but-kinda-nice Cm13 sound etc. Guys like Gambale and saxophonists like Charlie Parker (I think) use this kind of thing.

Hope I explained it sort of well!
GuitarG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2008, 05:14 PM   #7
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Bound is a name known to allBound is a name known to allBound is a name known to allBound is a name known to all
Bucketheads amazing robot tapping.

Two handed tapping in succession with chromatics. Wild stuff. Plus you can mix up the chromatic intervals and really get whacky.

my mother.... she never loved me. She always says she wishes shes was a raped by someone else ~Borat
Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2008, 05:46 PM   #8
Appreciates Kwolity

ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
A pop song using the Locrian mode.
ZeroSignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2008, 05:48 PM   #9
SS.org Addict

Psychoface is just really nicePsychoface is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoroth661 View Post
Some people actually use six strings.
really? thats ....ing odd why on earth would they do that?!
Psychoface is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2008, 06:11 PM   #10
ss.org Regular

Erikishere is on a distinguished road
Bach wrote canon's that would be played to the end of the piece, then the performers would have to flip it over and read it backwards, usually this would end up being in a minor key if it started in major. it's a neat way of thinking of retrograde inversion.
Erikishere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2008, 06:21 PM   #11
Appreciates Kwolity

ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikishere View Post
Bach wrote canon's that would be played to the end of the piece, then the performers would have to flip it over and read it backwards, usually this would end up being in a minor key if it started in major. it's a neat way of thinking of retrograde inversion.
Would he have not just written the Retrograde?

I'm guessing not cos he had very little time to do all his work. It's tough being a musical genius. Not to mention the fact that it's a canon would make it doubly hard to play.
ZeroSignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2008, 11:20 PM   #12
AEADGBEA

Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Does anyone have a tab of what Buckethead's doing for the robot tapping?

Pseudo-Jazz Sophisticate
-The 7 and ERG Chord Melody [Jazz] Thread-
"If Stravinsky's music is that of the Earth, then Meshuggah's music is that of the Machine"

Teaching
Guitar-Piano Technique/Theory/Jazz & Classical University Prep

Ossington & Bloor area in Toronto.
I now do Sykpe lessons - Inquire via PM!
Trespass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2008, 11:28 PM   #13
Mostly Harmless

ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikishere View Post
Bach wrote canon's that would be played to the end of the piece, then the performers would have to flip it over and read it backwards ...
I've got stuff like this somewhere. One piece is a duet where both performers play off the same sheet of music, so one is playing the retrograde inversion of the other. The other is similar, but it's not truly an inversion, because the accidentals that "follow" a note now apply to the note they are now before.

Ray

The Ultimate Question: What string gauge is needed for 18.84# of tension when tuned to E2 on a 27" scale guitar?
ElRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2008, 05:15 AM   #14
SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Bound is a name known to allBound is a name known to allBound is a name known to allBound is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trespass View Post
Does anyone have a tab of what
Buckethead's doing for the robot tapping?
he usually does either 3 finger or 4 finger tapping and it looks something like this:

with index,tap index - middle, tap, middle - ring, tap, ring, etc...

Code:
---------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------5p0t10p0--6p0t11p0--7p0t12p0-------------------------------
----5p0t10p0--6p0t11p0--7p0t12p0-------------------------------------------------
and you can do it with 4 fingers too. Turn your whammy on to really make it bananas. You can also mix up the pattern, which can really make some whacky stuff

that and he also goes backwards, so for finger tapping start with your respective pinkies:

Code:
------15p0t8p0--14p0t7p0--13p0t6p0--12p0t5p0-------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------15p0t8p0--etc---------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

my mother.... she never loved me. She always says she wishes shes was a raped by someone else ~Borat
Bound is offline   Reply With Quote