homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques Discussions on Theory, member submitted lessons, practice regimens and everything else.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-14-2005, 07:20 AM   #1
I poop in shoes.

nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.nitelightboy is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Angry Sweeping Weeping

I just can't seem to sweep. I've been trying for a bit now and haven't been able to grasp it. I was told to play the arpeggio with nothing but hammer ons and pull offs and then add the pick for volume and clarity. I use Dunlop J-III and either.009's or .010 depending on the guitar.
nitelightboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 10-14-2005, 08:54 AM   #2
Seven String Slinger

SevenatoR is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First of all, it ain't easy...so don't get down about it. I'm not sure I understand what you were told about how to do it, but I can say that I've heard better advice on the subject. I know some of the guys here have posted lesson snippets about sweeping technique and exercises, so search the forums here and at http://www.racerxband.com/forums. Specifically the Guitarist forum at racerxband.com.

The one thing I can tell you that helps me out more than anything else is start SLOWLY and work up, even after you become proficient at it. Speed is important, but hitting every note cleanly is more important. And use a metronome. There is NO substitute!!!

SevenatoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2005, 01:08 PM   #3
7 string samaurai

fatherbrennan is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sweeping arpeggios is probably the best example of how important muscle memorization is in playing guitar. That basically means that being able to play complex patterns with speed requires an enourmous amount of repitition so that your hands are used to playing those patterns. Never attempt to sweep arpeggios at a speed faster than you can play them. If that means you are playing rediculously slow then so be it, its necessary in order to get really fast down the road. Make sure you are playing each note clearly and that your technique is good at as slow of a pace as necessary. Make sure when you actually sweep with the pick it is one fluid motion instead of a series of picking motions. Pick downward and upward sweeping over the strings just like if you were playing a chord. Then with your left hand mute each note after its played so that they all ring out seperately.

Like Sevenator says, its hard. Its damn hard. As a matter of fact sweep picking arpeggios was the most difficult thing I ever had to learn on guitar. Remember to be patient and use a metronome to keep your timing correct. Dont expect to be really fast for even months after starting this. The good news is that when you finally get to the speed you are after, it seems easy at that point, and a natural way to pick the strings instead of something foreign and difficult. Look on the bright side, its really freakin hard but when you finally get it, its that much cooler because of it. I know very few guitarists that can really sweep pick, its a valuable playing skill to be proud of and worth the hard work. Move up the metronome speed a notch only when you are completly comfortable playing at the current speed. It will take a long time to get really fast but you will see the progress being made along the way.

www.fatherbrennan.com
fatherbrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2005, 01:11 PM   #4
wake up dead

7slinger is a splendid one to behold7slinger is a splendid one to behold7slinger is a splendid one to behold7slinger is a splendid one to behold7slinger is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
John Petrucci gave some good lessons about sweeping on his instructional DVD, which I've downloaded parts of it here and there in the past...though, he does suck, so you may not want to listen to anything he says
7slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2005, 01:17 PM   #5
Vince is X!!!

Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.Vince has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7slinger
though, he does suck, so you may not want to listen to anything he says
Sarcasm, I hope, otherwise
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2005, 01:19 PM   #6
wake up dead

7slinger is a splendid one to behold7slinger is a splendid one to behold7slinger is a splendid one to behold7slinger is a splendid one to behold7slinger is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
I forget people here may not know that I'm fairly sarcastic...so yes, VERY sarcastic
7slinger is offline   Reply With Quote