homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques Discussions on Theory, member submitted lessons, practice regimens and everything else.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By EtherealEntity
  • 1 Post By C2Aye

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
What is the theory behind this 'flavour'?

Always been curious the theory behind this sound, which I have only ever heard played on piano. I always think of them as 'Sims chords' as they remind me of the mellow jazzy (?) stuff in the background of the early Sims games.

Starting at :48, the chords used there, in particular the end of the phase before the descent in the treble. Other parts of the track are much more 'ordinary'. Just these few bars reminded me I've been meaning to ask this question. Of course it's not just the chords but the context.

Damn I want to learn piano. Totally arranging this when the 9 string arrives.

EDIT: Seems Aion is full of it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtGx-JUNxoI
Pooluke41 likes this.
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 08-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
has the groove.

C2Aye has much to be proud ofC2Aye has much to be proud ofC2Aye has much to be proud ofC2Aye has much to be proud ofC2Aye has much to be proud ofC2Aye has much to be proud ofC2Aye has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealEntity View Post
Always been curious the theory behind this sound, which I have only ever heard played on piano. I always think of them as 'Sims chords' as they remind me of the mellow jazzy (?) stuff in the background of the early Sims games.

Starting at :48, the chords used there, in particular the end of the phase before the descent in the treble. Other parts of the track are much more 'ordinary'. Just these few bars reminded me I've been meaning to ask this question. Of course it's not just the chords but the context.

Damn I want to learn piano. Totally arranging this when the 9 string arrives.

EDIT: Seems Aion is full of it
Excuse my lack of proper theory throughout this post.

Seems to me like it's just well chosen modulations.

The beginning of the piece is in B minor (hints of B dorian) for the most part and then at 48 secs he plays C major/major 7th which is where the modulation takes place (because that chord wouldn't normally work in B minor, being rooted on the flat 2nd), moving into a sort of VI-VII-I progression with the I being a E major chord instead of a E minor chord. You can tell because of the commonly used sus4 to major chord thing/suspension (I have no idea what it's called) on chord I. Then another modulation takes him briefly into B major before going into the VI-VII-I progression again before subtly modulating back into B minor.

The choice of modulations is superb and subtle basically, with the notes in the melody almost naturally leading into the modulations. I've been trying to incorporate this a bit more into my music but as you can tell from my (lack of) theory, it's been tough!
Pooluke41 likes this.
C2Aye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
ss.org Regular

Will Swanson will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I found this tab of Forgotten Sorrow:

Forgotten Sorrow (Aion) Guitar Tab | Game Tabs // Video Game Tablature

I don't know if you've seen it before, but it's a classical guitar arrangement.
Will Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2012, 01:38 AM   #4
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Thanks Sithu - I'll check into that in more detail later once I'm not dead from my nightshift haha.
And thanks a lot Will - that will be very helpful!
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote