homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques Discussions on Theory, member submitted lessons, practice regimens and everything else.

Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By Mr. Big Noodles
  • 2 Post By Solodini
  • 3 Post By wespaul
  • 2 Post By SirMyghin
  • 1 Post By Grimbold
  • 2 Post By CalumMurray
  • 1 Post By breadtruck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

breadtruck is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Looking for a guitar-based theory book.

Hey all. I'll try and keep it short and sweet so I don't ramble on for ages like I usually do when I start a thread.

Basically I'm looking to learn some music theory, but there isn't a great selection of books around where I live, so I'm going to order something online. The only problem is I want quite a specific theory book. I want a book that is catered to a guitarist learning music theory, and with the music noted as tableture. I kinda don't want to learn how to read sheet music when I can just use tabs to play something. I mean sure it wouldn't hurt in the long run but I don't have a huge amount of time to learn as it is, and I would prefer to just get some foundation knowledge that would help my guitar playing/songwriting. I was just wondering if anyone has any recommendations; if they themselves own/have owned a book like that. I know it sounds a bit specific but it's hard to know this stuff when shopping online. A lot of the sites don't let you view much more than the first few pages, if that.

Cheers.
breadtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
Theory God

Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Soldini's book is currently available for free as an ebook. Ted Greene's Single Note Soloing, Vol1 and Vol2 are also good. Honestly, though, learn to read a staff. It's not difficult and it will make so many more materials accessible. This site is one of the best places to start out: musictheory.net
Solodini likes this.

Skype theory lessons. PM me.
Mr. Big Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
MORE RESTS!

Solodini is a glorious beacon of lightSolodini is a glorious beacon of lightSolodini is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cheers, SW.

As he said, my ebook is currently available for free. The first 5 chapters are usually all that's free but I thought I'd let it out to play for a while. There's a print version for sale, as well, if you don't like reading from a screen for extended periods.

My book introduces manuscript laaaaate on, just as a brief explanation of how to use it, in case readers want to, but there's no tab in it, at all. The book uses songwriting/creativity to teach, so you learn to understand an idea by using it, rather than just learning to play a passage which you can learn without paying attention to the theory.

If you have any difficulty with it then I'll happily help you out. Plus, if you share the link to the free download of the ebook then I'll give you 2 free Skype lessons. Can't say fairer than that!
James B and breadtruck like this.

Check out my book: "Playing Guitar Musically: A Guide to Creativity on Guitar & Bass"
Buy the full book here. eBook - 5. Physical copies also available.
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/4063031-post14.html
PM me if you want to discuss it or just fancy a chat.

I also give lessons over Skype, Bandhappy and within the Lothians.
Solodini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 08:01 PM   #4
Octaves of Manhattan

wespaul is just really nicewespaul is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
+1 on reading staff. It really isn't that hard, and you only have to read one clef at a time. Start with real basic stuff, like "Minuet in G."

Musictheory.net is a great site, too. If you have an iphone/ipad/ipod, they have an app called "Tenuto" that's really good. It has tons of exercises, like listening for intervals, chords, and scales/modes. It's a great compliment to sitting down and applying theory to music. Drilling these exercises 20 minutes a day will have you instantly hearing the interval between two notes, noticing 3rds and 5ths in chords to determine what they are, and hearing intervals that make up scales. It'll also drill your staff-reading, fretboard notes, and inversions. I think I paid like $3.99 for the app. The site is free, regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchecterWhore View Post
Intervals aren't the shortcut, they are The Way.
wespaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 09:38 PM   #5
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Generally speaking when theory books are 'aimed at guitar' most of them aren't theory books, and suck . Especially when the resort to dodging a staff, they generally just throw pictures, charts and poor explanations at you (if explanations exist at all!). Understanding theory isn't related to an instrument, so dig in.

Guitar techs are for sissies.

Learn some damn music theory, don't complain, and you'll be a better person. -Schecterwhore

Show me a truly awesome guitar for under $1000 and I'll show you hateful lies.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2012, 01:53 AM   #6
SS.org Regular

Grimbold has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchecterWhore View Post
Soldini's book is currently available for free as an ebook. Ted Greene's Single Note Soloing, Vol1 and Vol2 are also good. Honestly, though, learn to read a staff. It's not difficult and it will make so many more materials accessible. This site is one of the best places to start out: musictheory.net
Dammit SW
I was gunna say that!

also
the govan book is excellent
ChronicConsumer likes this.

Check out my metal blog twoguysmetalreviews.blogspot.com
Also come chat about guitars and bass's on facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/292706424100375/
Grimbold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
SS.org Regular

Cheers a lot guys. I kinda wanted to avoid staff reading but you're talking me into it. I also didn't know about that site and it looks pretty damn awesome. I wreckon I could pick up some basics there before I think about buying anything.
Unread 06-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #8
ss.org Regular

CalumMurray will become famous soon enough
I can wholeheartedly recommend "Fretboard Mastery" by Troy Stetina.

It covers theory at a good pace and structure, and is pretty comprehensive.
AxeHappy and Repner like this.
CalumMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 09:20 AM   #9
SS.org Regular

Alright cheers guys. Sorry to bump a thread thats a few days old; haven't been able to get online for a while.

Now that I've got the internet at home I'll download Solodini's book. Considering it's free I can't say fairer than that.
Solodini likes this.
Unread 06-28-2012, 09:53 AM   #10
SS.org Regular

ChronicConsumer is a jewel in the rough
I recently bought Guthrie Govan's Creative Guitar part 1+2 and I really like them. Theory is explained clearly and starts at absolute zero, lots of interesting licks in there too. Definitely worth looking in to, to say the least.
Solodini's book is real good too, and if SchecterWhore ever publishes a book I'll buy it in an instant.
ChronicConsumer is offline   Reply With Quote