homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques Discussions on Theory, member submitted lessons, practice regimens and everything else.

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By ChronicConsumer
  • 1 Post By EtherealEntity
  • 1 Post By Hollowway
  • 1 Post By Vinchester
  • 2 Post By JazzandMetal
  • 3 Post By five_magics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-21-2012, 10:03 AM   #1
ss.org Regular

BEADGBE will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Right hand triplet technique (need more speed!!!)

hey been playing for a few years now and have really been pushing my right hand technique. im just wondering if anyone has and lessons tips or techniques to hellp get triplets up to insane speed. just to clarify im speaking about rythmic triplets not three single notes picked.
thanks
BEADGBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
SS.org Regular

ChronicConsumer is a jewel in the rough
I don't think you're talking about triplets, I think you're talking about (Slayer-esque) bursts of three 16th notes followed by a 16th rest. A triplet would be three notes equally dividing the space it would take to fill two of those notes. In other words, an 8th note triplet would be three notes that take as much time as two 8ths. Most people count this as 'One-trip-let Two-trip-let Three-trip-let' etc.

You probably want to take a look at some thrash metal, I'd recommend Kreator and Slayer for your right hand. Or you could be a total badass and learn 'Bleed' (or anything else) by Meshuggah.
TRENCHLORD likes this.
ChronicConsumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
^ Yeah everyone calls these triplets haha. It's a gallop
I don't have any advice except make sure your arm is relaxed and you are picking using flicks from the wrist.
TRENCHLORD likes this.
EtherealEntity is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 02:17 PM   #4
Extended Ranger

Hollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
For me the best way I increased my speed was:
1) Close my hand in a fist, rather than leave my fingers splayed out. This forces me to NOT use my fingers to move the pick (circular picking) and helps me focus on my wrist.
2) Relax to allow the wrist to move, instead of the elbow.
3) Anchor on the arm rest to further discourage elbow movement.
4) Practice gallops like mad.

Also, I assume too that you are doing eighth, rest, eighth, eighth when you refer to triplets.
TRENCHLORD likes this.
Hollowway is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

Vinchester is just really niceVinchester is just really nice
As a big fan of Iced Earth and gallop riffs I'd recommend you to practice fast downstroke rhythm (what Metallica does all the time) like down-down-down -down -down -down -down -down x100

once you get it going your hand will automatically start "galloping" when it's trying to move up to do another downstroke. For me it starts like an accident; You'll get down-down-UP-down-down-UP-down-down-down-UP-down. It goes from there really! I think galloping is based mostly on a controlled and precise downstroke rhythm because you need to keep up the time with them. the downUPdown will be as precise as your downstroke-only Metallica-esque picking.
BringerOfBlood likes this.

Carvin DC700 BKP Painkillers
ESP Eclipse I CTM FT w/ BKP Rebel Yells
ESP M-II w/ D-sonic/Air Norton
Jackson RR3 w/ EMG81/60
Vinchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #6
ss.org Regular

thanks for all the tips im going to give the downstrokes a try never saw it from that angle all has been very helpful thanks guys ill make sure to u0pdate!!!
Unread 05-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #7
SS.org Regular

Grimbold has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinchester View Post
As a big fan of Iced Earth and gallop riffs I'd recommend you to practice fast downstroke rhythm (what Metallica does all the time) like down-down-down -down -down -down -down -down x100

once you get it going your hand will automatically start "galloping" when it's trying to move up to do another downstroke. For me it starts like an accident; You'll get down-down-UP-down-down-UP-down-down-down-UP-down. It goes from there really! I think galloping is based mostly on a controlled and precise downstroke rhythm because you need to keep up the time with them. the downUPdown will be as precise as your downstroke-only Metallica-esque picking.
vinchester is on point

Check out my metal blog twoguysmetalreviews.blogspot.com
Also come chat about guitars and bass's on facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/292706424100375/
Grimbold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2012, 06:27 PM   #8
SS.org Regular

JazzandMetal has a spectacular aura about
I focus on keeping my hand in a fist. Also, I am able to build up speed in galloping by practicing downstrokes and then adding upstrokes in the middle, like Vinchester mentioned.

This video really helped:

He is palm muting. His other lessons are amazing as well.

Marco Sfogli, Andy Timmons, James Labrie, Mikael Akerfeldt, Trent Reznor, Tosin Abasi, Tony Iommi, Steve Vai, Randy Rhoads, Zakk Wylde, Donald Fagen.

I'll let the music be my signature.
Will be adding more later.
JazzandMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2012, 07:18 PM   #9
EMPERORoftheUNIVERSE

K3V1N SHR3DZ is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowway View Post
For me the best way I increased my speed was:
1) Close my hand in a fist, rather than leave my fingers splayed out. This forces me to NOT use my fingers to move the pick (circular picking) and helps me focus on my wrist.
2) Relax to allow the wrist to move, instead of the elbow.
3) Anchor on the arm rest to further discourage elbow movement.
4) Practice gallops like mad.
This

I'm struggling with not using circular picking on fast string-changing scalar runs. With rhythms and sweeps I don't have problems, but I find it so much easier (up to a certain point) to cheat and use circle picking on scales. But it's become a major hurdle.
*paul_gilbert_exercise x 10000000*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinchester View Post
practice fast downstroke rhythm (what Metallica does all the time) like down-down-down -down -down -down -down -down x100

once you get it going your hand will automatically start "galloping" when it's trying to move up to do another downstroke. For me it starts like an accident; You'll get down-down-UP-down-down-UP-down-down-down-UP-down. It goes from there really!

I went this route, and had to actually practice playing everything with only upstrokes, as my ups were weak as shit. After that, I just did TONS of alt. picking for months, then mixed downs and alts. Gallops became retarded easy....
But, you are right in that one must start with tons of down picking especially if one wishes to get a really sick sound.
K3V1N SHR3DZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2012, 07:55 AM   #10
SS.org Regular

I went this route, and had to actually practice playing everything with only upstrokes, as my ups were weak as shit. After that, I just did TONS of alt. picking for months, then mixed downs and alts. Gallops became retarded easy....
But, you are right in that one must start with tons of down picking especially if one wishes to get a really sick sound.[/QUOTE]

Good point. I practice upstrokes as well. I saw a video of Dave Mustaine saying that you should practice upstrokes.

Marco Sfogli, Andy Timmons, James Labrie, Mikael Akerfeldt, Trent Reznor, Tosin Abasi, Tony Iommi, Steve Vai, Randy Rhoads, Zakk Wylde, Donald Fagen.

Unread 06-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #11
SS.org Regular

conjurer_of_riffs is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thanks for the Video JazzandMetal
conjurer_of_riffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 10:31 AM   #12
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgad0831 View Post
This

I'm struggling with not using circular picking on fast string-changing scalar runs. With rhythms and sweeps I don't have problems, but I find it so much easier (up to a certain point) to cheat and use circle picking on scales. But it's become a major hurdle.
*paul_gilbert_exercise x 10000000*

But, you are right in that one must start with tons of down picking especially if one wishes to get a really sick sound.

when you mention paul gilbert exercises are you talking about the popular alt picking one? or is there a different one m not aware of?
Unread 06-06-2012, 11:28 AM   #13
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by conjurer_of_riffs View Post
Thanks for the Video JazzandMetal
No problem. Just keep working with the metronome.

I am currently using the small red Dunlop Jazz III picks. I believe John Petrucci uses them. They kind of slide over the strings, and because they are small, you hardly have to move your hand to pick. I keep my hand in a fist and choke up on the pick, and this technique is great for fast picking and galloping. Many great players recommend choking up on the pick, Dave Mustaine being one of them. There is also a great video on youtube about picking, I use the technique pretty much the same way except I probably angle the pick a little less than 45 degrees. The guy is also using a black Jazz III. Here it is:

So get a good pick that works for you, and get to work! Learning Metallica, Iron Maiden and a bunch of other old metal bands helps with your picking and galloping as well as showing you every note in E Minor.

I am going to try the Sik Piks at some point. Fredtheshred loves them, and they look really fast.

Unread 06-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #14
EMPERORoftheUNIVERSE

K3V1N SHR3DZ is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEADGBE View Post
when you mention paul gilbert exercises are you talking about the popular alt picking one? or is there a different one m not aware of?
I mean the one like this.

K3V1N SHR3DZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #15
ss.org Regular

five_magics is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgad0831 View Post
I'm working on this lick too. It's very tricky as it involves inside and outside picking with successive string changes...
I've been going crazy with this alt picking stuff for years, my best advice is work on chords, cadences, reading music like jazz standards, just playing music, and the speed thing will do itself. Focusing only on alt picking exercices is setting yourself up for failure, but that's just my experience.
five_magics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #16
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzandMetal View Post
No problem. Just keep working with the metronome.

I am currently using the small red Dunlop Jazz III picks. I believe John Petrucci uses them. They kind of slide over the strings, and because they are small, you hardly have to move your hand to pick. I keep my hand in a fist and choke up on the pick, and this technique is great for fast picking and galloping. Many great players recommend choking up on the pick, Dave Mustaine being one of them. There is also a great video on youtube about picking, I use the technique pretty much the same way except I probably angle the pick a little less than 45 degrees. The guy is also using a black Jazz III. Here it is:

So get a good pick that works for you, and get to work! Learning Metallica, Iron Maiden and a bunch of other old metal bands helps with your picking and galloping as well as showing you every note in E Minor.

I am going to try the Sik Piks at some point. Fredtheshred loves them, and they look really fast.

I honestly don't think picks make that huge a difference, all personal preference. I can play about as fast as I can with a jazz as I can with a regular thinish pick
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 03:29 AM   #17
SS.org Regular

Santuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by five_magics View Post
I'm working on this lick too. It's very tricky as it involves inside and outside picking with successive string changes...
I've been going crazy with this alt picking stuff for years, my best advice is work on chords, cadences, reading music like jazz standards, just playing music, and the speed thing will do itself. Focusing only on alt picking exercices is setting yourself up for failure, but that's just my experience.
I personally agree with this. For me it is pretty much the same thing: been working on alternate picking like a maniac for years, but still getting nowhere close the 'shredding-speed'. So, it can become very frustrating depending on my expectations.
I still practice alt. picking exercises quite a bit, but I'm not perse thinking of gaining speed but control and clean playing, I just practice the exercises at a moderate speed and only push the tempo a little bit.

my website - free licks - some of my music

I offer online guitar lessons on Skype in different styles. Send me a PM if interested.

Santuzzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 04:10 AM   #18
SS.org Regular

Maniacal is a name known to allManiacal is a name known to allManiacal is a name known to allManiacal is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
2 hours of picking and a gallon of coffee will cure this

Books, posters, play along lessons and apps!

I teach on Skype - If you purchased my books, first lesson is free!

http://www.shredtraining.com

Please subscribe to my YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/shredtraining
Maniacal is offline   Reply With Quote