homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques Discussions on Theory, member submitted lessons, practice regimens and everything else.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-21-2012, 10:16 AM   #1
ss.org Regular

Yoshimitsu is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Transitions Between Riffs

I have found that when writing, it is not too difficult to come up with a bunch of riffs but it is quite difficult to string them together.The worst feeling is having a nice sounding riffs loop endlessly with nowhere to go, hah. However, I see bands like Between the Buried and Me and others of the sort taking a wealth of riffs and stringing them together with seemingly no hassle. I know at times they add slight pauses between parts but even when they dont its fluid and works well musically. Are there any techniques that can be used to transition from riffs to progressions or from riffs to other riffs without sounding choppy? I apologize if my terminology is wrong, but it was the easiest way to explain it.
Yoshimitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
ss.org Regular

It would probably help if I posted an example:

and for closure:

Unread 05-22-2012, 01:15 AM   #3
MORE RESTS!

Solodini is a glorious beacon of lightSolodini is a glorious beacon of lightSolodini is a glorious beacon of light
Structuring Songs, Chord Progressions, etc etc

Check out my book: "Playing Guitar Musically: A Guide to Creativity on Guitar & Bass"
Buy the full book here. eBook - 5. Physical copies also available.
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/4063031-post14.html
PM me if you want to discuss it or just fancy a chat.

I also give lessons over Skype, Bandhappy and within the Lothians.
Solodini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 01:29 AM   #4
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
A nice technique is to use the beginning of the next riff in some recognizable form as a fill at the end of the last riff.
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 03:39 AM   #5
Extended Ranger

Hollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
How knowledgable about theory are you? If not, learn about it. If you've got a good progression having one part move to the next isn't super tough. But the last thing you'd want to do is string a bunch of disparate themes together as a standard way of writing. I think the best thing to do is to make sure the underlying progression works, and if that's the case the riffs will flow a lot more easily. If you're coming up with independent riffs, you need to look at the notes and figure out what chord(s) they'd work with, and then piece something together. Once you have the chords writing the bass lines is also much more straight forward.
Hollowway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 09:27 AM   #6
ss.org Regular

I must have missed that other thread, my apologies. In regards to my theory knowledge, I would say that I am fairly knowledgable know my scales, modes, chords, and inversions pretty well. My intervalic knowledge as well as knowing how intervals work with each other is a bit lacking which could be the reason for my hard time stringing riffs together.