homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques Discussions on Theory, member submitted lessons, practice regimens and everything else.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Grimbold

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

Grimbold has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Practicing arpeggios

So, i noticed recently that i am still not extremely comfortable with arpeggios

i know how they work theoretically and all that, i just have issues playing them all over the neck

now, i know the fretboard well enough that i can identify any note in under 1-2 seconds, and i can play scales all around the neck without a problem

my issue is arpeggios and chords, i just can't seem to see arpeggios and chords all about the neck

advice? exercises? Are there diagrams that show all the notes in a possible arpeggio all around the neck? how do i hook up arpeggios?

thank you in advance

Grimbold

Check out my metal blog twoguysmetalreviews.blogspot.com
Also come chat about guitars and bass's on facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/292706424100375/
Grimbold is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
Tranquil insurgent

celticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Try this exercise for learning multiple chords in the same position:

http://youtu.be/Hw_QbS3dL

If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you.
If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you.
-The Gospel of Thomas

...and all took responsibility for their wickedness as well as their power.
-John Campbell

7 strings, played slowly.
celticelk is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

thank you very much!

Unread 04-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #4
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
This is going to sound vague and smart-assy, but know that I only mean the best... You'll have to learn to "see" them the same way you learned to see everything else. Repitition repitition repitition... Figure out a couple shapes then figure out how they interlock across the fretboard the same way the scales/modes do and/or which patterns correspond to which modes (for quick reference points) and so on...

I think the most frustrating part about guitar is no matter how much shit you figure out, there's always something else! But that also makes it infinitely fun.

Konfyouzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

Santuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud of
what I found helped me a lot with visualizing arpeggios was arpeggiating in 8th notes through some jazz standard.
Take 'All The Things You Are' for example and arpeggiate in 8th notes through the changes. Wherever you have to change to a new chord, do not start on the lowest string but connect smoothly from the previous note on whatever string you are at that particular moment. This exercise is also great for internalizing the sound of a jazz standards chord changes.
This will be mostly useful for 7th chord-arpeggios, but you can take simple chord progressions for triads as well (here's a simple example in the key of Am: Am-Dm-G-C-F-Bdim-E-Am).

my website - free licks - some of my music

I offer online guitar lessons on Skype in different styles. Send me a PM if interested.

Santuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 02:59 AM   #6
MORE RESTS!

Solodini is a glorious beacon of lightSolodini is a glorious beacon of lightSolodini is a glorious beacon of light
Play up arpeggios and inversions on individual strings, then connect them. Playing them on single strings will help you to visualise intervals from the open string and will make finding notes around the neck quicker and easier. Obviously you need to be thinking the note names while playing, for this to be effective.

Practise improvising through the changes, but only consciously playing one chord tone per chord. After one run through, worry about another chord tone for the next run through, then the 3rd time, use both chord tones consciously. Then add in another. You get the idea. This will help to apply the arpeggios melodically, not just running up and down 135s all the time. Inversions will certainly help, though.

Check out my book: "Playing Guitar Musically: A Guide to Creativity on Guitar & Bass"
Buy the full book here. eBook - 5. Physical copies also available.
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/4063031-post14.html
PM me if you want to discuss it or just fancy a chat.

I also give lessons over Skype, Bandhappy and within the Lothians.
Solodini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 04:10 AM   #7
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solodini View Post
Play up arpeggios and inversions on individual strings, then connect them. Playing them on single strings will help you to visualise intervals from the open string and will make finding notes around the neck quicker and easier. Obviously you need to be thinking the note names while playing, for this to be effective.

Practise improvising through the changes, but only consciously playing one chord tone per chord. After one run through, worry about another chord tone for the next run through, then the 3rd time, use both chord tones consciously. Then add in another. You get the idea. This will help to apply the arpeggios melodically, not just running up and down 135s all the time. Inversions will certainly help, though.
this is very helpful, ima go apply this right now!
Solodini likes this.