homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques Discussions on Theory, member submitted lessons, practice regimens and everything else.

Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By BluesPlayer76
  • 1 Post By ibanezlover
  • 1 Post By Solodini
  • 1 Post By Solodini
  • 2 Post By JazzandMetal
  • 1 Post By JazzandMetal
  • 1 Post By brutalslam
  • 1 Post By Solodini
  • 1 Post By Garlic Owl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-23-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
SLAMZ

brutalslam is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Some Improv over a backing track...

I did some improvisation over a backing track, and would like to get some general constructive criticism on it.

http://soundcloud.com/mcgoreslam/shred-improv-jaws

Thanks!

PS. I thought this was the most appropriate section for this, since this is not a mix or tone test..

My Brutal Death Metal Project
www.youtube.com/calculatedbarbarity
brutalslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
ss.org Regular

BluesPlayer76 will become famous soon enough
Nice job

Hey man, thanks for posting that.

You have a pretty clean technique and a nice vibrato. What's your axe/rig?

Ok, some of this is personal preference but I would suggest:

1) You play long sustained notes, punctuated with very fast picked triplets. I'd like to see you mix it up more - maybe some pivot points ala Vinnie Moore or Yngwie. Maybe an arpeggio. Harmonics.

2) One of the things I really like about Steve Vie is how many ways he attacks the note. It really spices things up. I believe I heard you picking everything. Legato, sweeping, pull offs, slide up, slide down.

3) Make sure your bends are in tune if you're going to do long sustains. Most of yours were, a few weren't.

4) Are you paying attention to the chordal structure of your background track or just playing in your favorite mode? I usually approach my solos from a chordal point of view. I structure 4 bar phrases around that - usually ending on a chordal note.

All in all though good job. I'm just being picky

BluesPlayer76
http://fastfingersguitarlessons.com
brutalslam and Solodini like this.
BluesPlayer76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #3
ss.org Regular

ibanezlover is on a distinguished road
Great playing dude! The only thing I'd say would be to break up your improv some. Seems like a very long solo. Think of it like a singer. The singer needs to breathe every now and then.
brutalslam likes this.
ibanezlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2012, 10:55 PM   #4
SLAMZ

Thanks guys for the response/critique

and it was recorded with pod farm.

Here's another take i did over it with some different licks and whatnot

http://soundcloud.com/mcgoreslam/shred-improv-new3

Unread 04-29-2012, 02:32 AM   #5
MORE RESTS!

Solodini is a glorious beacon of lightSolodini is a glorious beacon of lightSolodini is a glorious beacon of light
Tighten up your timing. There's a lot of iffy timing in the 2nd one especially. It feels like you're following the beat, waiting for it before you play your note a little behind it, rather than playing with it. Try automating a 4 bar mute of the backing track so you continue to play and when it comes back in, you'll see how on you were. Make sure to turn off the click or else muting the backing track is useless.

Also, work at linking your ideas together by using some theme and variation/call and response then using part of that as the seed of something else. A bit of octave displacement of certain notes can serve as a way to move the solos register up bit by bit and increase tension in what you're playing. Musical tension is good, if you resolve it at certain points.

Question: how much are you listening when improvising? It sounds a bit like you're thinking with your fingers, rather that your ears as things seem to progress based on paths which work for your fingers rather than building on ideas or moving ideas which the ear easily recognises.

It still feels a bit full on, as well. A long note does not equal a rest. A long note remains an active participant in the harmony, if not the rhythm. The ear needs a wee break to familiarise itself again with the context over which you're improvising so a complete rest fromyou is important to help them to then appreciate you when you start playing again.

Also, some of your licks sound quite Petrucci, which I'm sure you'll appreciate!
brutalslam likes this.

Check out my book: "Playing Guitar Musically: A Guide to Creativity on Guitar & Bass"
Buy the full book here. eBook - 5. Physical copies also available.
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/4063031-post14.html
PM me if you want to discuss it or just fancy a chat.

I also give lessons over Skype, Bandhappy and within the Lothians.
Solodini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
SLAMZ

^ Thanks man for the critique and advice I will keep all of that in mind, and I agree I need to listen more to the backing track to follow the beat.

Also, I am primarily a death metal player and i often go for really chaotic style leads, which I guess works well with my death metal project. But, I think that chaotic feel comes across in all the leads I play including the ones above, and to some isn't necessarily a good thing haha. I'm always striving to improve and broaden my playing though, so I will continue that.

Unread 04-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
MORE RESTS!

Solodini is a glorious beacon of lightSolodini is a glorious beacon of lightSolodini is a glorious beacon of light
On the contrary: don't "follow" the beat as what you're doing just now is waiting for the beat and then playing after it. Develop your internal timing so that you trust it enough to play and know that the beat will come in at the same time as you.
brutalslam likes this.

Check out my book: "Playing Guitar Musically: A Guide to Creativity on Guitar & Bass"

Unread 04-29-2012, 03:47 PM   #8
SLAMZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solodini View Post
On the contrary: don't "follow" the beat as what you're doing just now is waiting for the beat and then playing after it. Develop your internal timing so that you trust it enough to play and know that the beat will come in at the same time as you.
Alright, I'll work on that

Thanks.

Unread 04-30-2012, 08:32 PM   #9
SS.org Regular

JazzandMetal has a spectacular aura about
From my layman's ears, on both improvs you did way too many long notes. Like Solodini said, listen a bit more. Play slower overall andreally try to get some vocal like phrases in there. Listen to some Ansy Timmons and Marco Sfogli, or any number of the guitarists out thereknown to be very "musical," the ones who have melodies and call and response playing.

Just my opinion. Thanks for sharing.
brutalslam and Solodini like this.

Marco Sfogli, Andy Timmons, James Labrie, Mikael Akerfeldt, Trent Reznor, Tosin Abasi, Tony Iommi, Steve Vai, Randy Rhoads, Zakk Wylde, Donald Fagen.

I'll let the music be my signature.
Will be adding more later.
JazzandMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #10
SLAMZ

^Thanks man.

And here is some improv over a fusion track, I done. I'm trying to improve on the things that has been mentioned.

Fusion Improv by mcgoreslam on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Unread 05-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #11
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalslam View Post
^Thanks man.

And here is some improv over a fusion track, I done. I'm trying to improve on the things that has been mentioned.

Fusion Improv by mcgoreslam on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Much better, Man! You mixed it up more! I loved how the note faded out at around 0:24. Very enjoyable.

I would say to improve even more, go listen to Aja by Steely Dan. That is one of my all time favorite albums. Absolutely amazing songs, melodies, solos, everything. Try to apply what you hear.

Thanks for putting up your performance for criticism. That is a gutsy move.

Finally, where did you get the jam tracks? I would like to have a go at them.
brutalslam likes this.

Marco Sfogli, Andy Timmons, James Labrie, Mikael Akerfeldt, Trent Reznor, Tosin Abasi, Tony Iommi, Steve Vai, Randy Rhoads, Zakk Wylde, Donald Fagen.

Unread 05-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #12
SLAMZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzandMetal View Post
Much better, Man! You mixed it up more! I loved how the note faded out at around 0:24. Very enjoyable.

I would say to improve even more, go listen to Aja by Steely Dan. That is one of my all time favorite albums. Absolutely amazing songs, melodies, solos, everything. Try to apply what you hear.

Thanks for putting up your performance for criticism. That is a gutsy move.

Finally, where did you get the jam tracks? I would like to have a go at them.
Thanks man and yeah haha, I'm pretty thick skinned and want to know what areas to work on the most, so I figured why not.

And here is a pretty good site for the jam tracks
Free Guitar Backing Tracks @ GuitarBackingTrack.com

and I think the fusion one I got from
Guitar Playback - Guitar Backing Tracks, Video Lessons, Guitar Jam Tracks
JazzandMetal likes this.

Unread 05-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #13
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalslam View Post
Thanks man and yeah haha, I'm pretty thick skinned and want to know what areas to work on the most, so I figured why not.

And here is a pretty good site for the jam tracks
Free Guitar Backing Tracks @ GuitarBackingTrack.com

and I think the fusion one I got from
Guitar Playback - Guitar Backing Tracks, Video Lessons, Guitar Jam Tracks
Thank a lot! Will definitely get some tracks.

Unread 05-05-2012, 03:19 AM   #14
MORE RESTS!

Much better for the most part. In the good sections, you sound like a completely different player, in a good way! I enjoyed listening to that. The first few notes of the improv are way off, to my ears but that happens.

The first long fast run feels out of place. Long fast runs generally need some work to build momentum up to and to do so that early in the solo would be a bit hasty as you'd then have nowhere more exciting to go and everything after would be a bit of an anticlimax. Short fast runs leading up to things work but that long one just felt out of place.

Great progress, though, man! Good work!
brutalslam likes this.

Unread 05-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #15
SLAMZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solodini View Post
Much better for the most part. In the good sections, you sound like a completely different player, in a good way! I enjoyed listening to that. The first few notes of the improv are way off, to my ears but that happens.

The first long fast run feels out of place. Long fast runs generally need some work to build momentum up to and to do so that early in the solo would be a bit hasty as you'd then have nowhere more exciting to go and everything after would be a bit of an anticlimax. Short fast runs leading up to things work but that long one just felt out of place.

Great progress, though, man! Good work!
Thanks man!

And that makes sense what you are saying about building up to the fast runs, I will definitely keep that in mind.

Unread 05-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #16
SS.org Regular

Garlic Owl is on a distinguished road
you have a good sense of melody for the most part, some notes didn't fit but your picking technique is pretty good. i liked your fusion improv better because you utilized space in between notes more. you should work on bends though, some sounded out by just a bit. good job though man!
brutalslam likes this.
Garlic Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 12:00 AM   #17
SLAMZ

Thanks man

and I guess I'll put this here, to show you guys the kind of stuff I generally play, here is the intro that has a lead in it of a new original song i'm working on for my project Calculated Barbarity. I do find it easier to do leads over my own death metal stuff like this.

Slam that fo shizzle - New song clip-unmixed by mcgoreslam on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free