homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques Discussions on Theory, member submitted lessons, practice regimens and everything else.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

JazzandMetal has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dunlop Tortex sharps .88mm

I just got some of these and they are awesome! I am playing faster already. Super fast attack, pretty much instant unlike every other pick. I was using the Red Jazz IIIs before these, but these rock! I may try out the Jazz version now.

Anyone else like sharp picks?
LetsMosey likes this.

Marco Sfogli, Andy Timmons, James Labrie, Mikael Akerfeldt, Trent Reznor, Tosin Abasi, Tony Iommi, Steve Vai, Randy Rhoads, Zakk Wylde, Donald Fagen.

I'll let the music be my signature.
Will be adding more later.
JazzandMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
Lord Super Awesome

Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
I looooove the Ultex Sharps. Tons of attack & articulation.
ittoa666 likes this.
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 05:47 PM   #3

leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
I need to try those out. I use tortex but not the sharps. Sounds good
leonardo7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
SS.org Regular

They are insane. I was just playing my acoustic and they are fantastic. Immediate note articulation and super fast.

I am going to have to order the Ultex sharps and the Jazz Tortex sharps.

BTW, I got the inspiration to try these from Dino Cazares. I looked at a youtube video and he held up this pick, and I thought that might be hard to play with. Then Guitar World came with an interview with him that talked about it. He said the picks give you immediate attack and when you palm mute, it creates his signature sound. I can't stand the vocals in all his bands, but have been inspired to write riffs from some of his play along videos, below. He has an awesome straight ahead fast style. When you palm mute with the sharps, you get an immediate chug, and when you do that really fast, it sounds fantastic.

Divine Heresy - Dino Cazares - Guitar Lesson - YouTube

Divine Heresey - Facebreaker Jam Session - YouTube

Here he is explaining the Tortex Sharps:

Dino Cazares Talks About The Guitar Picks That He Uses - YouTube

Marco Sfogli, Andy Timmons, James Labrie, Mikael Akerfeldt, Trent Reznor, Tosin Abasi, Tony Iommi, Steve Vai, Randy Rhoads, Zakk Wylde, Donald Fagen.

Unread 04-19-2012, 08:20 PM   #5
Cancer:The Crucifuct

Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Loomis, Broderick (I think), alot of metal players use Sharps. I perosnally can't stand them as the angle is too acute for me (and the lack of curve feels like I picking with a brick wall), but I get why people like them.

That said, Tortex TIII's are awesome, it's like a Sharp with curves. Awesome pick.
Cancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #6
aint no gahdam woman

nostealbucket is just really nicenostealbucket is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I love the sharps. Great picks.
nostealbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #7
Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator

djpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 136 reviews
Ultex Sharp 0.73s for me.
ittoa666 and scherzo1928 like this.
djpharoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #8
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cancer View Post
Loomis, Broderick (I think), alot of metal players use Sharps. i perosnally can't stand them as the angle is too acute for me, but I get why people like them.
I was using the Jazz IIIs when I was a beginner and liked them OK, then I switched to the Fender 351 celluloid picks that just slide off the strings. Unfortunately, they wear out, and the note definition isn't super tight. I went back to the Jazz IIs and got used to them, and now I love the Tortex Sharps.

What picks do you use?

Unread 04-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #9
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpharoah View Post
Cool!

I can see at least three different pick orders in my future now although I am happy at the moment...

Unread 04-19-2012, 09:32 PM   #10
SuiÁmez fanboy

GhostsofAcid is a jewel in the rough
A while ago I had some amazon gift card money lying around so I ordered some of each of a ton of different types of Dunlop picks. Didn't really care for this shape, fell in love with Ultex jazz iii's and never looked back. I do love the Ultex material though, could never go back to regular plastic. The way they never get slippery even when you sweat is awesome
GhostsofAcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 12:26 AM   #11
Ibanez whore

theo is a splendid one to beholdtheo is a splendid one to beholdtheo is a splendid one to beholdtheo is a splendid one to beholdtheo is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I've been using hetfield black fangs when I Want something a little meatier than a Jazz 3. I'm pretty sure they're just ultex sharps essentially, love em
theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 01:28 AM   #12
SS.org Regular

Santuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud of
I have never tried the Sharps, to me they look like I would have a hard time playing with them. I am using the Tortex jazzIIIs and I love those, but I might still order some Sharps just to try them

my website - free licks - some of my music

I offer online guitar lessons on Skype in different styles. Send me a PM if interested.

Santuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 08:04 AM   #13
Count Blastula

FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Tortex Sharps are the best picks out there for rhythm imho, they have this INSANE low end aggression to them.

At first they're weird to play, but I can shred on 'em quite easy now, my fav being the 1.35
FrancescoFiligoi is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #14
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancescoFiligoi View Post
Tortex Sharps are the best picks out there for rhythm imho, they have this INSANE low end aggression to them.

At first they're weird to play, but I can shred on 'em quite easy now, my fav being the 1.35
They have instant attack, which is ridiculous for palm muting and fast chords. Super good for fast stuff.

I can shred the fastest on them out of any pick Ive tried.

Unread 04-20-2012, 10:17 AM   #15
Silence you bastard

ncfiala is a name known to allncfiala is a name known to allncfiala is a name known to allncfiala is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
These look awesome. I'm currently using the tortex jazz heavies but these look worth giving a try. It seems that these are what Jeff Loomis uses too. Gotta order some of the 1.5mm ones today.
ncfiala is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 10:28 AM   #16
Sonderkommando

MrGignac is a jewel in the rough
ive been playing with .88 sharps for a while, my buddy tried to get me to switch to dava but i like my sharps for thier attack and clicking sound you get while playing.

if you like the sharps .88's you should try to find a wedgie pick. i only have one, and ive never seen them in a store
MrGignac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #17
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
The tortex sharps shape was what drove me to get my stone picks made the same, unfortunately one was screwed up and came out a bit shorted, like a very sharp pointed traditional and dethroned the other though.

Guitar techs are for sissies.

Learn some damn music theory, don't complain, and you'll be a better person. -Schecterwhore

Show me a truly awesome guitar for under $1000 and I'll show you hateful lies.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #18
has wood for you

scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpharoah View Post
I keep going back and forth between that and the ultex sharp .90
The attack is to die for!

edit: If you play cleans a lot, try the .50 tortex sharp... holy shit!
djpharoah likes this.

Is this... guitar?
scherzo1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 11:37 PM   #19
/)'3'(\

ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.
Black fangs and ultex sharps, both in .73. Best picks I've ever used, hands down.

Ride the wings of death!

"Seriously... You DO NOT headbang with your knees" Murmel

ittoa666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 12:46 AM   #20
Sleep on, Fly on

GSingleton is just really niceGSingleton is just really nice
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I use the 1mm and 1.14 or something like that...awesome picks.

Music Facebook: www.facebook.com/grsingleton
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/gsingleton

Me:You could djent using a toothpick and aluminum foil.
Michael T: Aluminum + Djent = Alumidjent
Didn't Lace already do this....hmmmm
GSingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 05:25 AM   #21
Dovahkiin

TheGhunther is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The Ultex Sharps 2mm is my absolute favorite pick. So great.
TheGhunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 05:50 AM   #22
Lord Super Awesome

Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by theo View Post
I've been using hetfield black fangs when I Want something a little meatier than a Jazz 3. I'm pretty sure they're just ultex sharps essentially, love em

I was a Tortex user for 20 years. Last year, I was given a couple of tins of the Black Fangs (basically Ultex Sharps with frilly Hetfield graphics). Got me some .90 & 1.14 Ultex Sharps & haven't looked back.
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #23
Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator

djpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 136 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by scherzo1928 View Post
I keep going back and forth between that and the ultex sharp .90
The attack is to die for!

edit: If you play cleans a lot, try the .50 tortex sharp... holy shit!
Agreed the attack is awesome plus being a full sized pick I can actually grip it a lot better and be faster. Not to mention it's floppy enough for that heavy single note runs and not getting caught up in the strings.
djpharoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #24
SS.org Regular

penguin_316 is a jewel in the rough
I have always used Jazz IIIs and recently tried alot of new picks. The Ultex are awesome for feel and grip but they have a very aggressive twang to them that really bugs me...aka the pick itself causes a djent-like tone on anything distorted.

I'll stick with my red jazz IIIs, just sounds more organic in my opinion.
penguin_316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 06:18 PM   #25
SS.org Regular

rippedflesh89 is just really nicerippedflesh89 is just really nice
ultex sharp 0.9 mm for me

i used to use the tortex sharps 1.5 mm, but i dont like how pointy they are and i got tired of the heavy picks; when playing fast, i can feel the strings under my pick better when im using a pick w/a small amount of flex to them

going under 0.7 mm or so feels too floppy for me and i lose control, going over 1 mm, i have the control, but i lose the feeling of the strings, so 0.9 mm works best for me
rippedflesh89 is offline   Reply With Quote