homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques Discussions on Theory, member submitted lessons, practice regimens and everything else.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By steve1
  • 1 Post By ImaDjentleman
  • 1 Post By mikemueller2112
  • 1 Post By Aevolve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

cuckingfrazy is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Awkward sweep positions

I can sweep/sweep tap competently and know a lot of sweep positions, but there is one that i cant get the hang of. Its when you use the same fret over different strings, for example;

||-------------------12h14p12-----------------|
||o---------------14----------14--------------|
||-------------14----------------14-----------|
||----------14----------------------14--------|
||o-0h12h16----------------------------16p12-|
||---------------------------------------------|

How do you get it without letting the notes ring?
cuckingfrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
ss.org Regular

steve1 is just really nicesteve1 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm not great at sweeping, but for that I do what i'd descibe as a rolling barre
ChronicConsumer likes this.
steve1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
Ima let u finish but

ImaDjentleman will become famous soon enough
finger rolling? that's super basic bro, and i mute with my picking hand a lot
Konfyouzd likes this.
ImaDjentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
It's going to be hard to place exactly what hand positioning and technique you'll need to use without knowing what you'll be playing just before and just after, but I'd do that particular sweep like so:

||-------------------12h14p12-----------------|
||o---------------14----------14--------------|
||-------------14----------------14-----------|
||----------14----------------------14--------|
||o-0h12h16----------------------------16p12-|
||---------------------------------------------|
1 4 3 3 3 1 3 1 3 3 3 4 1

Key:
1 = Pointer
2 = Middle
3 = Ring
4 = Pinky

Now, with your ring finger you're going to want to "roll" it perpendicular to the direction of the strings, and parallel to the direction of the pick.

To mute it properly, you're going to want to roll your finger off of each note on the 14th fret of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th strings just enough to kill the note. It's basic fretting hand muting with your picking hand silencing it further.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 07:03 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

mikemueller2112 is just really nicemikemueller2112 is just really nice
I thought this thread said "Awkward sleep positions". I don't like sleeping all curled up in public, looks weak. But yeah, finger rolling troubled me for a while. Work at it mega slow, and it's a combination of rolling finger off, and muting with the picking hand in order to get the note separation needed to not sound like you're getting ass-raped by a walrus.

Be very conscious of the muting of the strings when you're working at it slowly. It will allow for the muscle memory to be developed so when you're working at more musical tempos, it will sound clean.
Deadnightshade likes this.
mikemueller2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
ss.org Regular

cuckingfrazy is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys, that has helped a lot
cuckingfrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #7
AEADGBEA

Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Hate to be the odd guy out on convention, but I use different fingers for same fret sweeps.

Most of the time it looks like fingers 1-2-1-2, but I'll do any combination that sets me up properly for the next note.

I find this to be much cleaner and consistent, and having used it for years now, kick it out pretty much anywhere on the fretboard without thinking about it. It does get a little tight in the super high frets (17-24 usually).

I'll still use the barre/finger roll, but only moving from one string to another, not for more than two strings.

Pseudo-Jazz Sophisticate
-The 7 and ERG Chord Melody [Jazz] Thread-
"If Stravinsky's music is that of the Earth, then Meshuggah's music is that of the Machine"

Teaching
Guitar-Piano Technique/Theory/Jazz & Classical University Prep

Ossington & Bloor area in Toronto.
I now do Sykpe lessons - Inquire via PM!
Trespass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 10:01 PM   #8
SS.org Regular

mikemueller2112 is just really nicemikemueller2112 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trespass View Post
Hate to be the odd guy out on convention, but I use different fingers for same fret sweeps.

Most of the time it looks like fingers 1-2-1-2, but I'll do any combination that sets me up properly for the next note.

I find this to be much cleaner and consistent, and having used it for years now, kick it out pretty much anywhere on the fretboard without thinking about it. It does get a little tight in the super high frets (17-24 usually).

I'll still use the barre/finger roll, but only moving from string to another.
That's a good point. I still think working on his fretting hand rolling technique would still be time well spent. Patterns like that in a sense forced to me to work on rolling once I started sweeping. I was always terrible at it, so I took a few steps back and worked at it, and it's helped me across the board.

That being said, general rule of thumb is to do whatever works best. Only reason I wouldn't recommend your way (in his case) is because if you are doing a Major pattern like that in the higher frets where it is tighter, rolling is probably your best option (unless you have skinny fingers, then go for it I guess).

Obviously my word isn't gospel, I'm no master of the technique, just my $0.02.
mikemueller2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 10:23 PM   #9
SS.org Regular

Cremated will become famous soon enough
This is my first post but I struggled woth this for a while and finally figured it out. If you're going for the 'rolling' technique, it's all about your first knuckle on whichever finger you're using. You want the first knuckle the one directly below your fingernail/fingertips to collapse by bending the knuckle. This will also help on arpeggios that have notes on the same fret across multiple strongs. So something like D 14 G 14 D 14, where you go down a string,and back up on the same fret. You can bend your first knuckpe and collapse it to hit the higher note then bend it back to stand it back up to hit the lower note. Practice with every finger and nearly any sweep or arpeggio will become a lot easier for you. I typed this on my phone so sorry for errors and i hope it makes sense. Its all about the knickle collapse though in a rolling bar.

Ps. If youre using this technique you want to use some of the meat of your rolling fingertip to mute the string that you just rolled off of. So when you collapse to a higher string, your rolling fingertip should be pressed lightly against the lower string you rolled off of. Not hard enough to fret but resting gently above or against it.
Cremated is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 06:33 AM   #10
ss.org Regular

Davey will become famous soon enough
I'd do the rolling method too. Although the fingering I'd choose personally would be:
1 4 2 2 2 1 4 1 2 2 2 4 1
Davey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 01:05 PM   #11
SS.org Regular

penguin_316 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey View Post
I'd do the rolling method too. Although the fingering I'd choose personally would be:
1 4 2 2 2 1 4 1 2 2 2 4 1

Using your 2nd finger for the roll instead of your 3rd will be so much easier for most people.

1 4 2 2 2 1 "2" 1 2 2 2 4 1

I would change the quoted fingering though. Normally that sweep would have a 17th fret on the high E for the sweep, in which case I would use my pinky...but he put a 14 on the high E there, so I would use my middle finger for that.
penguin_316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #12
ss.org Regular

Davey will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin_316 View Post
Using your 2nd finger for the roll instead of your 3rd will be so much easier for most people.

1 4 2 2 2 1 "2" 1 2 2 2 4 1

I would change the quoted fingering though. Normally that sweep would have a 17th fret on the high E for the sweep, in which case I would use my pinky...but he put a 14 on the high E there, so I would use my middle finger for that.
My mistake, thought it said 17! I agree with your revised fingering
Davey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 11:44 PM   #13
Yugen.

Aevolve is just really niceAevolve is just really nice
Most diminished sweep shapes have a roll-barre of 2 strings in them:
|-----------------9--h14--9------------------|
|--------------10------------10--------------|
|-----------11-------------------11----------|
|-------11---------------------------11------|
|9-h12----------------------------------12-9-|
|---------------------------------------------|
I would suggest practicing that shape and then expanding the idea to 3 consecutive strings.
Solodini likes this.

Aevolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 08:28 PM   #14
SS.org Regular

pentecost will become famous soon enough
My intuition agrees w/ using the middle for the roll. The ring is the by far the weakest digit, and the 16-14 articulation is more efficient & ergonomically sound with the middle. As always, YMMV and whatever works works .

(Sorry for the nerd alert, I do some ergonomic analysis on contract )
pentecost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 10:18 AM   #15
SS.org Regular

nkri is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemueller2112 View Post
Work at it mega slow, and it's a combination of rolling finger off, and muting with the picking hand in order to get the note separation needed to not sound like you're getting ass-raped by a walrus.

That's definitely not the analogy I was expecting.
nkri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 10:30 AM   #16
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Roll the middle finger and let your wrist on your picking hand mute as you go along the strings... That's one of my favorite sweeps bc it's relatively easy. The other major arps are harder for sure. You don't get to flop your fingers across the strings sequentially in those.

Konfyouzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 10:42 AM   #17
SS.org Regular

Maniacal is a name known to allManiacal is a name known to allManiacal is a name known to allManiacal is a name known to all
Peaches - What diminished sweeps have a roll in them?

That is a minor arpeggio.

Books, posters, play along lessons and apps!

I teach on Skype - If you purchased my books, first lesson is free!

http://www.shredtraining.com

Please subscribe to my YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/shredtraining
Maniacal is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #18
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
^ This...

The diminished sweeps always seem like stacked instances of the same exact pattern. No rolls required, though.

Konfyouzd is offline   Reply With Quote