homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques Discussions on Theory, member submitted lessons, practice regimens and everything else.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Mr. Big Noodles
  • 1 Post By Mr. Big Noodles
  • 1 Post By All_¥our_Bass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

Mechanix11 is headed in the right direction.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Help with Open and Barre Chords

Hi, well i posted recently some post here and well recently i decided to start with the basics.
And i found some info in other post and well i decided to start with Chords
I play metal (Death/Thrash) so i want to know if i need to learn all the chords (open and barre) if i play this genre?
At first im learning Open ones (D, C, G, E and A)
Also are there some songs to help with this?

Thanks In Advance
Mechanix11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
Just another SunBro

niffnoff is a jewel in the rough
I will get slated.
But Death and Thrash barely use open chord voicings,
mainly it's 5th, minor/major third, diminished and aug kinda chords.
even still I wouldn't imagine they'll be massive chords you'll see in prog, jazz or blues.
Unless you're wanting to go extremely melodic.

Cannibal Corpse do some crazy shit if you're a death guy

I used to be an arrow like you
But then I took a rock to the knee
Soundcloud was arrow to the knee
Facebook Music Page
niffnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 11:35 PM   #3
Theory God

Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
If you learn the theory behind chord construction, then you don't need to learn shapes. There are only twelve intervals, and they apply to 100% of the music that you're talking about, so you should probably get comfortable hearing, singing, and playing them.

Ricci Adams' Musictheory.net

I tend to think of chords on the fretboard in terms of different intervals in relation to the root. If you memorize these patterns, then you should be able to build any triad with very little work:

Just pick one of each chord member - 1 3 5 for major triads, 1 b3 5 for minor, 1 b3 b5 for diminished, and 1 3 #5 for augmented - find a comfortable and harmonious voicing, then go.
Solodini likes this.

Skype theory lessons. PM me.
Mr. Big Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 02:06 AM   #4
MORE RESTS!

Solodini is a glorious beacon of lightSolodini is a glorious beacon of lightSolodini is a glorious beacon of light
I second what SW said. Learning shapes is fairly useless once you start trying to expand the music you're playing. Learning basic chord construction will help you much more, in the long run. Then you won't be limited to the chords you "know", as you'll be able to work out any chord. Learn basic theory (try the free sample chapters of my book for simple explanation of theory and ways you can use it to create your own music. There's a link to it in my sig.) and how to construct a chord then your progress will be much faster and more informed.

If you try the sample of my book and face any difficulties, drop me a pm and I'll happily help however I can. Let me know if I can help any further.

Check out my book: "Playing Guitar Musically: A Guide to Creativity on Guitar & Bass"
Buy the full book here. eBook - £5. Physical copies also available.
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/4063031-post14.html
PM me if you want to discuss it or just fancy a chat.

I also give lessons over Skype, Bandhappy and within the Lothians.
Solodini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchecterWhore View Post
If you learn the theory behind chord construction, then you don't need to learn shapes. There are only twelve intervals, and they apply to 100% of the music that you're talking about, so you should probably get comfortable hearing, singing, and playing them.

Ricci Adams' Musictheory.net

I tend to think of chords on the fretboard in terms of different intervals in relation to the root. If you memorize these patterns, then you should be able to build any triad with very little work:

http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/t.../chordcons.jpg

Just pick one of each chord member - 1 3 5 for major triads, 1 b3 5 for minor, 1 b3 b5 for diminished, and 1 3 #5 for augmented - find a comfortable and harmonious voicing, then go.
Thank you very much for the information, i have a doubt now, i need to experiment with those triads? in various positions i mean, because i didnt understand it very well, sorry im new in this chord stuff
Unread 04-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
MORE RESTS!

Solodini is a glorious beacon of lightSolodini is a glorious beacon of lightSolodini is a glorious beacon of light
Take a scale. Play the root, 3rd note and the 5th note. You should know what the names of those notes are, for the scale you're using. Find a way to play them all together. You may need to move one or two of them up or down an octave to make it playable. The result is a triad based on the root note of the scale. If you ascend 3 semitones from the root note to the 3rd then it's a minor based chord i.e. C Db D Eb. If you ascend 4 semitones from the root to the 3rd then it's a major based chord I.E. C to E: C C# D D# E. You can probably find most of the notes you used elsewhere on the neck. These make up the different chord positions, but you should practise working the chords out quickly. This is a very short description and I'm missing bits out but if you learn scale theory, chords will be a simple step from there.

Check out my book: "Playing Guitar Musically: A Guide to Creativity on Guitar & Bass"

Unread 04-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #7
SS.org Regular

well it seems to be some kind difficult to me, but im gonna try it.
btw im reading this article:
UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com - READ THIS STICKY (guide to all techniques)
and it has some information that i think is useful (for me) and there it comes some info about chords (4.1).
Unread 04-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #8
Theory God

Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanix11 View Post
Thank you very much for the information, i have a doubt now, i need to experiment with those triads? in various positions i mean, because i didnt understand it very well, sorry im new in this chord stuff
It's just a way to think about building triads. The idea is that those shapes are totally movable. If we wanted to build a major triad (135) on G#, you would first find the root note, then add a third and a fifth. I'm going to show three different voicings, based on different locations of the root.

Code:
G#
Roots:

e-4--x-x
B-x--x-9
G-x-13-x
D-6--x-6
A-x-11-x
E-4--x-x

With thirds and fifths:

e-4--x-8
B-4-13-9
G-5-13-8
D-6-13-6
A-6-11-x
E-4--x-x
And, if we wanted to make that minor, we'd choose a b3 rather than a regular 3.

Code:
G#m

e-4--x-7
B-4-12-9
G-4-13-8
D-6-13-6
A-6-11-x
E-4--x-x
Understand how that works? And, like I said, these shapes are totally movable. If we wanted to do the same thing with a root note of A, all we have to do is move it up a half-step.

Code:
Am

e-5--x-8
B-5-13-10
G-5-14-9
D-7-14-7
A-7-12-x
E-5--x-x
Mechanix11 likes this.
Mr. Big Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #9
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchecterWhore View Post
It's just a way to think about building triads. The idea is that those shapes are totally movable. If we wanted to build a major triad (135) on G#, you would first find the root note, then add a third and a fifth. I'm going to show three different voicings, based on different locations of the root.

Code:
G#
Roots:

e-4--x-x
B-x--x-9
G-x-13-x
D-6--x-6
A-x-11-x
E-4--x-x

With thirds and fifths:

e-4--x-8
B-4-13-9
G-5-13-8
D-6-13-6
A-6-11-x
E-4--x-x
And, if we wanted to make that minor, we'd choose a b3 rather than a regular 3.

Code:
G#m

e-4--x-7
B-4-12-9
G-4-13-8
D-6-13-6
A-6-11-x
E-4--x-x
Understand how that works? And, like I said, these shapes are totally movable. If we wanted to do the same thing with a root note of A, all we have to do is move it up a half-step.

Code:
Am

e-5--x-8
B-5-13-10
G-5-14-9
D-7-14-7
A-7-12-x
E-5--x-x
Alright i think i understand it
Unread 04-12-2012, 04:41 PM   #10
Army Without A Flag

All_¥our_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_¥our_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_¥our_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_¥our_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_¥our_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_¥our_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_¥our_Bass is shredding to new heights.
Probably too difficult since you are a beginner and only know a few chords, but you try listening to Opeth for some ideas, death metal with sweet chordy goodness, and some black metal bands are more chord oriented.
Solodini likes this.

No Nation. No Philosophy. No Ideology.
All_¥our_Bass is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #11
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_¥our_Bass View Post
Probably too difficult since you are a beginner and only know a few chords, but you try listening to Opeth for some ideas, death metal with sweet chordy goodness, and some black metal bands are more chord oriented.
Thanks and im not a beginner at all, only im learning (again) some of the basics
Unread 04-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #12
MORE RESTS!

After a while, you learn that you're always a beginner and there are always things to learn. If you ever feel that you're not learning then you've been copying not learning. Musical education cycles: you learn chords, you learn chord extensions, you think you're too good for lowly triads, you lose definition, you improve at triads and become more concise, you start reintroducing extensions, you think you're too good for lowly triads et c.

Unread 04-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #13
SS.org Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solodini View Post
After a while, you learn that you're always a beginner and there are always things to learn. If you ever feel that you're not learning then you've been copying not learning. Musical education cycles: you learn chords, you learn chord extensions, you think you're too good for lowly triads, you lose definition, you improve at triads and become more concise, you start reintroducing extensions, you think you're too good for lowly triads et c.

You're right and well i gonna start as a begginer and start learning, at the moment im gonna use a book i have from Hal Leanard its from the Fast Track Series.
And learn some theory, but i dont know where to start
Unread 04-13-2012, 01:28 AM   #14
MORE RESTS!

Start with the free sample chapters of my book, what with them being free and all.