homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques Discussions on Theory, member submitted lessons, practice regimens and everything else.

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By StratoJazz
  • 2 Post By Santuzzo
  • 3 Post By KingAenarion
  • 3 Post By Trespass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-13-2012, 11:37 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

drunkenmaster357 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Beginning Jazz

I primarily listen to metal, but I've found that some of my favorite bands I listen to incorporate jazz elements into their music and I think it sounds really cool when a band can throw in something outside of their genre into their music. What is a good starting point for learning jazz? What are some good beginner scales and techniques? It's something I'd really love to throw into my playing style.
drunkenmaster357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-14-2012, 12:29 AM   #2
SS.org Regular

StratoJazz is a jewel in the rough
I'd like to direct your attention to this thread posted on the Jazz forum:

Another metal guitarist who wants to delve into something new...

Really it depends on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go actually. If you want to play Rock with Changes, you should focus on emphasizing the chord tones of each change.

I'm sure you'll get a good amount of suggestions considering that this is the Technique/Theory part of the forum.
Solodini likes this.

Feel free to check out some of my Rock/Jazz Music In the link below. If you want to check that out, here is my soundcloud account:

http://soundcloud.com/tom-coovert
StratoJazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

Santuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud of
I'd suggest start by listening to lots of jazz.
And don't only listen to more modern/fusion kinda jazz, but also to stuff like bebop.
Listen to as many Charlie Parker, Bill Evans, Wes Montgomery, Cannonball Adderly, etc. CDs as you can get your hands on.
StratoJazz and Solodini like this.

my website - free licks - some of my music

I offer online guitar lessons on Skype in different styles. Send me a PM if interested.

Santuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 09:32 PM   #4
ss.org Regular

chucklives6960 is on a distinguished road
So it appears I've found you Matt, I say we should check out some Shawn lane, that dude plays some crazy stuff from what I hear.
chucklives6960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2012, 12:25 AM   #5
Resident Studio Nerd

KingAenarion is a glorious beacon of lightKingAenarion is a glorious beacon of lightKingAenarion is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santuzzo View Post
I'd suggest start by listening to lots of jazz.
And don't only listen to more modern/fusion kinda jazz, but also to stuff like bebop.
Listen to as many Charlie Parker, Bill Evans, Wes Montgomery, Cannonball Adderly, etc. CDs as you can get your hands on.
This + one other thing.

One of the most helpful things I learnt when starting to play Jazz was this.

Chords and scales are the same thing. Think about them as the same thing, construct your chords with all the notes of the scale. Adding in more than just the basic triads give you different colours. Leave out the notes you don't want for particular colours...

My band - Ex Curia - Prog in an Opeth meets Karnivool meets Porcupine Tree meets Tool kind of way
KingAenarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
AEADGBEA

Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingAenarion View Post
This + one other thing.

One of the most helpful things I learnt when starting to play Jazz was this.

Chords and scales are the same thing. Think about them as the same thing, construct your chords with all the notes of the scale. Adding in more than just the basic triads give you different colours. Leave out the notes you don't want for particular colours...
And you can superimpose different structures for even more possible colors. You can super impose any interval structure over any harmony, the key is in emphasizing that structure.

So I might super impose an Em7 over a Cmaj7 by playing an E minor seven arpeggio root, third, fifth, seventh (E G B D). Might also superimpose by chromatically anticipating each of those with a piece of an E minor scale, or perhaps chromatically.

Another great tool is accents. I could play random notes, but if I accent chord tones on downbeats, it'll have an interior logic to it that makes it listenable (if played convincingly and with authority).

i.e. Over a Cmaj7, I might played any combination of the chromatic scale randomly all over the fretboard. As long as beats 1 and 3 (and less importantly, beats 2 and 4) feature one of the notes of an Em7, it'll imply an Em7 over Cmaj7 sound, producing an overall Cmaj9 harmony.

If there was an interior logic to this superimposition, it would sound even stronger. Perhaps outlining an ascending scale every second beat, with garbled nonsense chromatic notes inbetween. The ear will pick out the difference between the logical and illogical notes, and will follow the nonsense - especially if brought out with those accents.

Pseudo-Jazz Sophisticate
-The 7 and ERG Chord Melody [Jazz] Thread-
"If Stravinsky's music is that of the Earth, then Meshuggah's music is that of the Machine"

Teaching
Guitar-Piano Technique/Theory/Jazz & Classical University Prep

Ossington & Bloor area in Toronto.
I now do Sykpe lessons - Inquire via PM!
Trespass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #7
ss.org Regular

drunkenmaster357 is on a distinguished road
Wow, thanks for all the replies guys they're really helpful. Now time to sit down, stomach all the information in, and practice what you guys told me lol. This might take awhile...
drunkenmaster357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 07:21 PM   #8
SS.org Regular

mishabasi is a jewel in the rough
Listen to Allan holdsworth. His playing opened up the door for me and let me get into jazz. I got many ideas from trying to mimic his licks.
mishabasi is offline   Reply With Quote