homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques Discussions on Theory, member submitted lessons, practice regimens and everything else.

Like Tree391Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-07-2011, 02:32 AM   #101
Parker über alles

yingmin has much to be proud ofyingmin has much to be proud ofyingmin has much to be proud ofyingmin has much to be proud ofyingmin has much to be proud ofyingmin has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachesMcKenzie View Post
I don't take lessons because I would prefer to be self-taught. Plus any sort of resources on technique or playing can be found on the internet for free nowadays.
But, then again I don't spend $10000+ on gear either.
Watching YouTube videos can be a good supplement, but nothing beats an actual teacher. YouTube doesn't know you as a player, can't give you direction, and, most importantly, can't correct your mistakes. Why would you prefer to be self taught? What advantages do you perceive?

I have a problem cn this mod ke the eicoli and the infantry cn a blow dies what can make?

excused for the errors but are Italian
yingmin is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 10-07-2011, 03:01 AM   #102
GHETTO KING OF SWAG

The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by yingmin View Post
Watching YouTube videos can be a good supplement, but nothing beats an actual teacher. YouTube doesn't know you as a player, can't give you direction, and, most importantly, can't correct your mistakes. Why would you prefer to be self taught? What advantages do you perceive?
That's the single biggest reason I want to take lessons. I'm all self-taught, but there's a lot of things I have questions on that the internet doesn't always discuss at length. Sometimes you can find the answer by looking for another resource, but that shit gets old really fast.

If you're going to 'like' my posts, give me some rep instead.

"
i just laughed at my own reflection, not sure if ugly or drunk" -Murmel

The Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2011, 10:15 PM   #103
Yugen.

Aevolve is just really niceAevolve is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
I mean I'm not retarded, I can see the obvious benefits of having someone there with you to correct mistakes- But I suppose the benefit I see.. hm. I guess I've seen/heard a lot of guitarists that I like who were self-taught and developed a really unique sound on their own. It's almost like I want to prove to myself I can do it on my own as well and develop something unique.

But then again I'm extremely "I can do this on my own and better myself" in every aspect of my life Not really out of ignorance but out of a lack of faith in anyone else. lol.

EDIT: Plus I feel like if I study hard enough to the point of being able to recognize every mistake I make on my own, that the concept or technique I'm trying to play should sink in even more so.

Aevolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2011, 10:46 PM   #104
GHETTO KING OF SWAG

The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.
I don't think taking lessons is really going to cramp your style, man. You may not even like a lot of the stuff your teacher does, but as long as what you're learning is solid, applicable theory, you'll keep your sound unique and learn how to do more with it. Of course, you could also get a bum teacher, who only wants you to play like them. It happens, I guess.

I'm generally very independent too, but when it comes to bettering myself, there are quite a few things that I have to admit I can't do without being taught. Don't let one particular part of your mindset hold you back.
Aevolve likes this.

If you're going to 'like' my posts, give me some rep instead.

"
i just laughed at my own reflection, not sure if ugly or drunk" -Murmel

The Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2011, 11:07 PM   #105
Space Adventurer

Alimination is just really niceAlimination is just really nice
yikes! so many hardcore pet peeves out there.

I don't have much, but I guess the not using pinky bothers me as well.
Alimination is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 01:39 AM   #106
Parker über alles

yingmin has much to be proud ofyingmin has much to be proud ofyingmin has much to be proud ofyingmin has much to be proud ofyingmin has much to be proud ofyingmin has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachesMcKenzie View Post
I mean I'm not retarded, I can see the obvious benefits of having someone there with you to correct mistakes- But I suppose the benefit I see.. hm. I guess I've seen/heard a lot of guitarists that I like who were self-taught and developed a really unique sound on their own. It's almost like I want to prove to myself I can do it on my own as well and develop something unique.

But then again I'm extremely "I can do this on my own and better myself" in every aspect of my life Not really out of ignorance but out of a lack of faith in anyone else. lol.

EDIT: Plus I feel like if I study hard enough to the point of being able to recognize every mistake I make on my own, that the concept or technique I'm trying to play should sink in even more so.
There are a lot of guitarists who are self taught that have developed unique styles and interesting techniques, but correlation is not causality; they didn't necessarily develop their style BECAUSE of being self taught, but DESPITE it. Lots of schooled and professionally educated guitarists have interesting styles as well. A teacher can get you to think about things in a way you might not have on your own. Also, I would argue that anything you learn, any style, genre, technique, etc. can only make you a better guitarist, and there's no easier way to learn something new than by having someone there to explain it, in multiple different ways if necessary.

Also, I think you're giving yourself a little too much credit to assume that you'll necessarily be able to recognize all your own mistakes on your own. Or, if you do figure them out for yourself, will it be early enough? By playing something incorrectly for any amount of time, you're effectively holding yourself back. The sooner you work through your mistakes, the faster you'll be able to improve.

Believe me, I completely understand where you're coming from. I never took lessons when I was younger, because I was incredibly stubborn and wanted to do everything my own way, no matter what. The result of that was that I made a lot of stupid mistakes that impeded my progress in gigantic ways. If I'd taken lessons starting out, I could be a much better guitarist than I am now. It's a huge part of why I got into teaching in the first place: so that I could help other people avoid the stupid things I did.

I have a problem cn this mod ke the eicoli and the infantry cn a blow dies what can make?

Unread 10-08-2011, 01:55 AM   #107
SS.org Regular

broj15 is just really nicebroj15 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
there are plenty of self taught guitarists i know that can play really well, yet they have no grasp of theory. I feel like that is a draw back that a lot of self taught players have.
I took lessons for 2 1/2 years and i quit because i thought that i had plateaued as a player. Then i started to get deeper into writing my own material and realized that there is so much theory that i didn't know that could benefit me.
I tried to start a band with my best friend (a self taught musician). He could play covers of songs that he learned from tabs but he had no knowledge of chord construction or theory, thus making him unable to write anything.
broj15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 08:51 AM   #108
All Fourths Advocate

Waelstrum is just really niceWaelstrum is just really nice
One pet peeve of mine is when stage presence is used as an excuse for sloppy playing. People that will reduce the quality of the musical aspect performance noticeably in order to jump around. I'm by no means anti-stage presence, as I'm aware many people like to see people bounce about like Tigger. All I'm saying is that given the choice of concerts between a Petrucci style stand-still-but-play-flawlessly and a (I can't think of anyone at the moment) style jump-around-sloppy concert, I'll take the former. Basically, when I go to see a concert, the music is the primary attraction, all others are secondary at best.
Repner likes this.
Waelstrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #109
Yugen.

Aevolve is just really niceAevolve is just really nice
Maybe it is out of a sort-of stubbornness. I suppose if I found a teacher near me who I felt was competent enough, it would sway me. So I guess I'll be looking for a teacher.

Aevolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 07:28 PM   #110
SS.org Regular

nickgray is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRENCHLORD View Post
When I see/hear someone just beating the hell out of their strings.
I'm not talking about exagereted arm or hand movement. You can do that without bashbuzzing your strings. So many guys have to turn their amp halfway up just to drowned out the buzzing.
I'm a rather heavy handed picker and I can't imagine myself playing any other way. I mean I get the benefits of low action, but it probably works best at medium-high gain with light picking. That being said though, it is pretty silly to massacre the strings if you have low action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMarine75 View Post
No, not at all what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about self-singing... Have you never watched a Steve Vai video??? I'm talking about the douchey over the top my-mouth-is-a-wah pedal oral thing he does.
You have to watch this:

Edika likes this.
nickgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2011, 06:52 AM   #111
Banned

ZEBOV is a name known to allZEBOV is a name known to allZEBOV is a name known to allZEBOV is a name known to all
Crabcoring, tuning without muting the amp. And I have a one strike you're out rule for flaky musicians. It pisses me off that much because I've dealt with it that much. Flaky assholes are why I want to write and record everything by myself.
And when it comes to musicians who can't stop playing when others are trying to talk, I tend to unplug the guitar from the amp. I've also made a drummer shutup by reaching under his arms from behind, around his shoulders, and to the back of his neck, lifted him up, and carried him across the room.
I started playing bass because of Korn, so with a 5 band EQ, bass and treble were maxed out, while low mids, mids, and high mids were set to 0 (because Fieldy scooped the mids too). My first band practice, my 500 watt amp was being drowned out by two 15 watt solid state guitar amps.
AxeHappy likes this.
ZEBOV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2011, 08:54 AM   #112
djentleman

orakle is a jewel in the rough
only hate 1 thing : crabcore
orakle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2011, 09:14 AM   #113
SS.org Regular

ghostred7 is just really niceghostred7 is just really nice
My pet peeves:
People that think you need to know what scale/mode you're playing to sound good.
People that are so self-....ing-righteous that think because a guitarist doesn't know theory, they're bad and are shit players
Guitarists/Bassists that don't know when they're out of tune or just simply playing the wrong parts
Musicians that are uber-technical, but wouldn't know feeling when playing if it slapped them in the face
People that think I can't rock b/c I'm bald
BigPhi84, orakle and breadtruck like this.
ghostred7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 11:28 PM   #114
SS.org Regular

AxeHappy is a name known to allAxeHappy is a name known to allAxeHappy is a name known to allAxeHappy is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Thinking that Theory will somehow limit you instead of setting you free.
Musician's with a great bend/vibrato/vibrato bend (since that seems to be the definition of Soul or Feeling in music) that can only play one damn thing because they never learned any technique.
Shitty Guitar teachers(IE No Lesson plan, same exercises in the same order for every student, Teaching them random songs that the teacher knows...etc, etc). There are a lot of them, and they give all of us a bad name and devalue my profession. ....ing jerks.
Mocking bass players for, "Only having 4 strings."
Describing themselves as a, "Rhythm," or, "Lead," Guitarist. How about you just learn to play the damn instrument without needless pigeonholing holing yourself with stupid labels?
Thinking that Guitar is easy to play.
AxeHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 09:16 AM   #115
ss.org Regular

idshanks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeHappy View Post
Thinking that Guitar is easy to play.
Honestly, I'd say guitar IS easy to play - easy to play, hard to master.

My peeves... these aren't really guitarist habit peeves so much as just about the attitudes of people towards music

Also, I apologise but this isn't going to be so much a small list of my peeves as a rant on each one - I need to get this out of my system! :P

1. Those who dismiss technical or extreme music as having no emotive qualities when what they really mean is they just don't get it. People consistently fail to understand that there is a huge number of emotions and that all types of music have particular areas that they excel in getting across and others where perhaps they don't so much.

2. Those who make ignorance of theory a point of pride. This is a ridiculously stupid and immature attitude, and just strikes me as an attempt to cover up feelings of inferiority. I'm not particularly knowledgable of theory - I know the basics. If I'm playing something in an uncommon scale, I can communicate how it relates to the major scale (or another scale close to it) so we're on the same page. I can communicate time signature (an essential for me as I naturally come up with stuff in less common time sigs). The basics (I know more but that's beside the point) - this stuff isn't a massive effort to pick up, but is already such a great help in just bringing musicians in to the same wavelength.

On the flipside, people who look down on anyone who isn't a vast wealth of theoretical know-how. My philosophy tends to be learn what you need as you need it, and what you want as you want it. If I hear about something that interests me, I'll look into it. If I am talking with a musician and they mention something I don't understand (happens from time to time with my guitarist - he gets lessons and has been playing for at least a decade, where-as I'm self-taught and have been playing only 5~ years), I'll ask him to explain and/or learn about it on my own later. I don't think there's any reason to look down on someone who is willing to learn as they need to.

3. These really weird attitudes that an instrument has its predefined role, and everything else is wrong. I experience this a lot as a bassist. For example, this piece played on bass is absolutely beautiful:
Mauricio Nader "Asturias" Electric Bass arrangement. - YouTube

And yet you'll commonly hear things like (and I received this comment from one person after posting it on facebook): "6 strings, high notes, ringing out arpeggios? why don't they just get it over with and buy a guitar? clearly wanted a guitar and was given a bass". I hate when people do this with any instrument - every instrument has its own unique tonal qualities, and its limitations that force more creative interpretations of pieces. On solo bass this piece sounds so intense and beautiful. It would still be beautiful on guitar of course, but it would lose some qualities and gain others.

This is perhaps a more extreme example, but it applies to everything - merely having a 6 string bass for example will set some people against you (or a 7 or more string guitar). I'm sure on this site some people will know what I'm talking about.

I'm sure there's more, but I'm all ranted out for now. A bit much for my first post? :P
idshanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 04:10 PM   #116
SS.org Regular

pearl_07 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
People who have really expensive rigs and don't even know how to properly eq at all. I've seen a Valve King with an OD and a noise gate sound better than an Invader 150 with a 4 knob Keeley, a 10 band MXR, and multiple noise gates all because the jackass with the Invader thinks the more expensive stuff he has the better his tone gets.
WarOfAttrition likes this.

No bitch picking!
pearl_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 04:28 PM   #117
Banned

thedarkoceans is just really nicethedarkoceans is just really nice
ah,my bad habit is that for easy songs i behave like shit,for harder songs have a lot of determination.
thedarkoceans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 08:21 PM   #118
Parker über alles

Quote:
Originally Posted by idshanks View Post
3. These really weird attitudes that an instrument has its predefined role, and everything else is wrong. I experience this a lot as a bassist. For example, this piece played on bass is absolutely beautiful:
Mauricio Nader "Asturias" Electric Bass arrangement. - YouTube

And yet you'll commonly hear things like (and I received this comment from one person after posting it on facebook): "6 strings, high notes, ringing out arpeggios? why don't they just get it over with and buy a guitar? clearly wanted a guitar and was given a bass". I hate when people do this with any instrument - every instrument has its own unique tonal qualities, and its limitations that force more creative interpretations of pieces. On solo bass this piece sounds so intense and beautiful. It would still be beautiful on guitar of course, but it would lose some qualities and gain others.
In fairness, that piece was written for a guitar, both in terms of the range of notes and for standard tuning, and is much easier and more ergonomic to play on a guitar. He's working a lot harder to play that on a 6-string bass due to the difference in tuning, and he's using what is effectively classical guitar technique. While I'm certainly not saying his performance/arrangement is without musical worth, I'd have to say that they kind of have a point.

Unread 10-20-2011, 08:50 PM   #119
All Fourths Advocate

Waelstrum is just really niceWaelstrum is just really nice
Quote:
In fairness, that piece was written for a guitar, both in terms of the range of notes and for standard tuning, and is much easier and more ergonomic to play on a guitar. He's working a lot harder to play that on a 6-string bass due to the difference in tuning, and he's using what is effectively classical guitar technique. While I'm certainly not saying his performance/arrangement is without musical worth, I'd have to say that they kind of have a point.
I am pretty sure he's tuned it B E A D F# B, or some transposition of that.
Waelstrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 11:43 PM   #120
Parker über alles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waelstrum View Post
I am pretty sure he's tuned it B E A D F# B, or some transposition of that.
Probably, but that doesn't change my argument. Compare that to how it's played on a guitar in standard tuning:

The piece was centered around using the open B string as a drone, an advantage that's lost trying to play the piece in its original key on a 6-string bass using even a tuning modified to emulate a guitar. Even tuning the bass B E A D F# B and transposing it down a fourth would have made a lot more sense than what he's doing. This is especially apparent when he's playing two Bs an octave apart; he's holding down a 7-fret stretch with his outer two fingers while having to add in melody notes with his other fingers, versus just adding a higher E on the 7th fret of the E string on top of the open B you're already playing on a guitar, where all the notes you're playing are in a mere three-fret span starting at the seventh fret.

Unread 10-21-2011, 07:24 AM   #121
ss.org Regular

idshanks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The point is, though, that they're not the same. Of course it's easier to play on guitar, but it has a different... feel (not quite the word I'm looking for, but I'm lost for a better one right now... I'm hungover >_>) on bass that the guitar cannot convey (as with the inverse, just in case someone assumes I'm raising one instrument above the other). If their point was that it's much more convenient to play on guitar, then that's perfectly valid (though certainly not a reason that it not to perform it on bass). But rather, the point with which I have a problem is that many believe the instrument should simply not be used to play such things because its role should never be anything more than relatively subdued basslines.
Adari likes this.
idshanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2011, 12:13 PM   #122
Beethoven Pwns All

Adari is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by idshanks View Post
The point is, though, that they're not the same. Of course it's easier to play on guitar, but it has a different... feel (not quite the word I'm looking for, but I'm lost for a better one right now... I'm hungover >_>) on bass that the guitar cannot convey (as with the inverse, just in case someone assumes I'm raising one instrument above the other). If their point was that it's much more convenient to play on guitar, then that's perfectly valid (though certainly not a reason that it not to perform it on bass). But rather, the point with which I have a problem is that many believe the instrument should simply not be used to play such things because its role should never be anything more than relatively subdued basslines.
Completely agree in every way. People post the same thing on this guy's channel all the time:

Bass has such a different and interesting timbre, in comparison to guitar; everything seem wide open an big. I don't play bass myself, but I do play a lot of jazz on a flamenco guitar, which people often treat the same way ("get an archtop").

The Machine develops - but not on our lies. The Machine proceeds - but not to our goal. We only exist as the blood corpuscles that course through its arteries, and if it could work without us, it would let us die.
-E.M. Forster
Adari is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 12:55 PM   #123
SS.org Regular

ViolaceousVerdance will become famous soon enough
LOLPETPEEVES

SO,

There comes a time in many a metal guitar player's life when they discover the wondrous sonic-pummeling that is Meshuggah. Their reactions are generally either that of instant fanboy-dom or eternal hate. Let's talk about the first group for a second.

"Oh, man," they say. "How the heck are they playing? What's with all the fXcked up rhythms!?"

They then go on youtube and look up covers and links to the transcriber's .txt file tab ("please no guitarpro, i'm poor and don't know what tuxguitar is yet. yeah, my mom bought me that dual rec; so what?").

While reading and learning, they discover new time signatures like 21/16 and 11/6. They also discover that MESHUGGAH likes to write in a way where all these weird meters line up over a bunch of repetitions with x measures of 4/4. "DUDE. THAT'S SO... wait, i don't even know what that is. i need vocabulary like now."

BACK TO THE CLOUD THEY GO WHERE EVERY SINGLE MAL-INFORMED TW*TMOUTH DESCRIBES THIS PHENOMENON AS "POLYRHYTHM."

WITHOUT CONSIDERING THE POSSIBILITY THAT ABSO-FXCKING-LUTELY EVERYONE IS WRONG, UNCARING FANBOY ASSAULTS YOUTUBE LISTENERS EVERYWHERE WITH HIS MESHUGGAH COVERS RECORDED WITH A CAMERA MIC AND HIS SPOUTING OF MESHUGGAH'S AMAZING "POLYRHYTHMS."

Seriously, though, there is this disease spreading through the internet among musicians: not knowing the difference between polymeter(or artificial groupings) and polyrhythm.

WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE, YOU MIGHT ASK [BECAUSE YOU ARE ALSO ONE OF THOSE!]!

POLYMETER AND ARTIFICIAL GROUPINGS EXTRAPOLATE, POLYRHYTHM SUBDIVIDES.

With A.G's of 5 16th notes in 4/4, guess what's happening in a quarter note. YEP. STILL 16th NOTES; The phrase is just dancing from sometimes starting on the pulse to sometimes not on the pulse in an implication that there might be some polymeter (5/16 and 4/4) occuring.

Polyrhythms DON'T WORK LIKE THAT. ^^^^^^^^THAT IS WHAT MESHUGGAH DOES. MESHUGGAH DOES DO POLYMETER/A.G., NOT POLYRHYTHM.

POLYRHYTHM is kind of the EXACT OPPOSITE FXCKING THING. To directly contrast, 5:4 polyrhythm can be where 5 notes are squeezed into, for argument's sake, a quarter note, where only 4 usually go. YA WANT POLYRHYTHM? LISTEN TO SOME ZAPPA OR VAI OR NOT FXKING MESHUGGAH!!!

WHY, you ask, AM I SUCH A DICKBAG ABOUT THIS REALLY MINUTE THING? It's because they sound INCREDIBLY different; because there is NO comparing the sound of the 2nd beat of the 3rd measure of Zappa's "Peaches En Regalia"'s main melody to 7:36 into TOOL's "The Grudge." SEE WHAT I DID THERE?! I even tied music examples to polyrhythmic 5's and polymetric 5's /trollface

That is all.
ViolaceousVerdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 01:03 PM   #124
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
While you may have a good argument, I doubt anyone will read it under the tone you present.

Guitar techs are for sissies.

Learn some damn music theory, don't complain, and you'll be a better person. -Schecterwhore

Show me a truly awesome guitar for under $1000 and I'll show you hateful lies.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 06:30 PM   #125
H. Maddas

Pooluke41 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Pooluke41 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Pooluke41 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Pooluke41 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Pooluke41 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Pooluke41 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Pooluke41 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMyghin View Post
While you may have a good argument, I doubt anyone will read it under the tone you present.
I did.
AxeHappy and WarOfAttrition like this.
Pooluke41 is offline   Reply With Quote