homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques Discussions on Theory, member submitted lessons, practice regimens and everything else.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-12-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
is not a name

Korg is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Practicing songs with guitar pro?

Hey, just curious how you all do it, and if I'm "impairing" myself the way I do it. Currently when I learn a "hard" song (for me ) I "split" it up with some riffs, and then put a repeat sign on and then gradually improve the bpm, but just wondering, how do you do it?
Korg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-12-2011, 02:38 PM   #2
Guitar Popcicle

AK DRAGON is just really niceAK DRAGON is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I start with learning the whole song at 1/4-3/4 speed depending on the difficulty. If a certain passage is too hard then i repeat the section to work on it till I feel comfortable with it. I try not to monkey with the actual songs tempo.
AK DRAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 02:42 PM   #3
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I would highly recommend opposed to using the speed trainer actually using a metronome. Thing is the guitarpro detaches you from thinking of the rhythm by playing for you/scrolling. I doesn't build that rhythmic connection.

Guitar techs are for sissies.

Learn some damn music theory, don't complain, and you'll be a better person. -Schecterwhore

Show me a truly awesome guitar for under $1000 and I'll show you hateful lies.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 03:16 PM   #4
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Do you mean actually putting repeat bars and manually changing the BPM? You may want to check out the loop/speed trainer tool (F9).

I use the same method to learn riff by riff or lick by lick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMyghin View Post
I would highly recommend opposed to using the speed trainer actually using a metronome. Thing is the guitarpro detaches you from thinking of the rhythm by playing for you/scrolling. I doesn't build that rhythmic connection.
If I understand what you're saying, I solve this by making sure to mute the parts I am playing in Guitar Pro and have the metronome turned on.
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 03:31 PM   #5
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
^ the issue is cues outside the metronome, like if you are watching it and whatnot. Cues of any sort are the issue, aside from the beat. I did try this for a while at one point ,and it decimated what used to be solid timing (lack of exercise = atrophication).

Learn some damn music theory, don't complain, and you'll be a better person. -Schecterwhore

Unread 03-12-2011, 04:40 PM   #6
is not a name

Quote:
^ the issue is cues outside the metronome, like if you are watching it and whatnot. Cues of any sort are the issue, aside from the beat. I did try this for a while at one point ,and it decimated what used to be solid timing (lack of exercise = atrophication).
So it would be okay to for example have the metronome on, if you're not looking except a few times to see f.ex. you're the right place.. I'm not so good at knowing where/when the beat falls so I guess this might be a good idea?
Unread 03-12-2011, 05:45 PM   #7
The Dirt Guy

Having done it, I can tell you it won't help much. The only way to get a real feel for the beat is to practice to it alone. What I tend to do is learn a lick 'free time' to build up some muscle memory, then start playing it to a click as it should be, approach (or exceeding) the normal tempo. One up from a metronome that may feel more natural is a drum machine. There is really no substitute for driving the feeling of beat into you though.

I had rock solid rhythm on everything BUT guitar at high speeds, and this was mostly due to practicing blindly with guitar pro. Big band and on bass , no problem. I never practiced those instruments with a similar thing though. The problem is as you start watching guitar pro (I say watching as you aren't really reading it as you would music) you just disconnect and create a dependance. The thought isn't active enough.

Unread 03-12-2011, 06:16 PM   #8
is not a name

Quote:
Having done it, I can tell you it won't help much. The only way to get a real feel for the beat is to practice to it alone. What I tend to do is learn a lick 'free time' to build up some muscle memory, then start playing it to a click as it should be, approach (or exceeding) the normal tempo. One up from a metronome that may feel more natural is a drum machine. There is really no substitute for driving the feeling of beat into you though.

I had rock solid rhythm on everything BUT guitar at high speeds, and this was mostly due to practicing blindly with guitar pro. Big band and on bass , no problem. I never practiced those instruments with a similar thing though. The problem is as you start watching guitar pro (I say watching as you aren't really reading it as you would music) you just disconnect and create a dependance. The thought isn't active enough.
Right, thanks a lot, so the best way is to "learn" the riff, and then play along to a metronome, gradually improving speed?
Unread 03-12-2011, 07:09 PM   #9
SS.org Regular

Blind Theory is just really niceBlind Theory is just really nice
I ....ing love practicing new songs with Guitar Pro 6.

My method is to go for it. That is the only way it ever clicks for me. I will just go at it riff by riff. I do it in steps.

1) memorize the first half of the song
2) play what is memorized at full speed until it is playable
3) memorize last half of the song
4) play the whole song until I have it down

After that I move on. It is all about repetition for me.
Blind Theory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 10:14 PM   #10
SS.org Regular

The Munk is just really niceThe Munk is just really nice
If you didn't write it, your gonna have to learn how to play it the way it sounds.
Use whatever method works for you.
In the end, do you play it as it sounds?
The Munk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 10:35 PM   #11
The Dirt Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korg View Post
Right, thanks a lot, so the best way is to "learn" the riff, and then play along to a metronome, gradually improving speed?
Pretty much, the whole 'memorize' thing isn't really necessary this will drive it into your head deep. Unfortunately playing a song along with GP is easier than just playing a song otherwise, repetition or not.

Unread 03-13-2011, 03:31 PM   #12
is not a name

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Munk View Post
If you didn't write it, your gonna have to learn how to play it the way it sounds.
Use whatever method works for you.
In the end, do you play it as it sounds?
Well, for me, it's also important to improve my rhythm which is lacking
Unread 03-13-2011, 04:55 PM   #13
The Dirt Guy

A simple rhythm exercise that might help you get a start.

Play a scale, any one, doesn't matter which. Set your metronome low, say around 40-60. Play 1 note per beat, and make sure you lock onto the beat. You should be playing to it dead on. Then play 2 notes per beat. Then 3 (triplets), 4, 6, and 8 notes per beat (this is why it is slow). That should help with straight rhythms.

Unread 03-20-2011, 05:07 AM   #14
For Mod

Fiction is a name known to allFiction is a name known to allFiction is a name known to allFiction is a name known to all
I use to get the song and just play through guitar pro, full speed. Not learn the bits and just play it, and then after that, I'd focus on a certain bit and learn it and just try play the song through over and over, and slowly I'd pick up bits and that, I've stopped that now, I mostly look at the tabs or just normal tab and play through and then use a metronome or play along with the song.

[Fiction] 1:47 pm: she could probably toss a salad with that thing
Fiction is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2011, 04:46 PM   #15
ss.org Regular

stupidspoge is on a distinguished road
I learn the tabs in guitar pro, and play it as best as I can remember for a day or two, then go back, and I can play it... When I play without listening to the song or the midi, I tend to rush a lot, so playing it to a track is easier.

Probably not the most efficient way though...
stupidspoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 12:50 AM   #16
SS.org Regular

ScornEmperor is a jewel in the rough
Interesting topic. I just started messing with a couple new songs tonight in Guitar Pro, using the looping method. It did seem to me that I was a lot sloppier regarding tempo then when I play with only the metronome.

Sean Conklin over at Infinite Guitar and a couple guys at work (who are quite a bit better than me) have told me to practice only with the metronome and avoid backing tracks until I have the beat counted and memorized. Then play to the CD or the backing track to get the nuances. I think the reasoning here is that the counting is a pretty fundamental skill and if you aren't really good at it you will refine it through constant use. Instruments & other noise mask small errors in rhythmic accuracy I suppose.

I think I'll do what a lot of you suggest. Use GP to get the riff pattern down and then switch to the metronome to drill it to time.
ScornEmperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 08:35 PM   #17
SS.org Regular

troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Why would you practice it to a metronome instead of the drum track? When you do it live you play to the drummer, not a click.
troyguitar is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 08:41 PM   #18
The Dirt Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
Why would you practice it to a metronome instead of the drum track? When you do it live you play to the drummer, not a click.
Because a lot of us have metronomes not drum machines?

In all seriousness, that is why I do it. I also find it much easier to play alongside drums. Follow that with always taking the hard way...