homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques Discussions on Theory, member submitted lessons, practice regimens and everything else.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-24-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
The Optimist Prime.

GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Good Right hand techniques

Okay so I'm learning Metallica's "All Nightmare Long" simply because I love the song, but I'm struggling intensely with some riffs due to right hand picking.
Metallica - All Nightmare Long Guitar Tab | Songsterr Guitar Tabs
The tabs are in that link and in stanza I guess you could call it. The one with the number 20 where the notes are just open. I can't pick that fast keeping my pick straight when alternate picking. I've found I can keep up with curving/ angling the pick but it takes away from tone .
So how else can I go about learning this? Please forgive me if I have any stupid questions. I'm kinda a noob at technique other then muting, pinch harmonics, pretty much just the basic basics.

If You're selling a Gibson Explorer PM Me!

Proud gear owner of:
Schecter V-1 ATX with passive duncans
Takamine EG 431 SC (something like that)
1994 Peavey bandit 112 combo/ head
Hughes and Kettner 4x12
Boss GT8
MXR ZW OD and that's all folks!
GuitaristOfHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 01-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
rug
SS.org Regular

rug is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Slow down until you can play it with "proper" technique...and then repeat. A lot.

There isn't any shortcut or magic picking technique, all you have to do is slow down. Practice playing cleanly and the speed will come.
rug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2011, 08:01 PM   #3
The Optimist Prime.

GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
Originally Posted by rug View Post
Slow down until you can play it with "proper" technique...and then repeat. A lot.

There isn't any shortcut or magic picking technique, all you have to do is slow down. Practice playing cleanly and the speed will come.
That's my issue is I've caught on fast to almost everything, so I don't have the patience to slow down, but this is an exception. I just hate going slow.

Proud gear owner of:
Hughes and Kettner 4x12
Boss GT8
Unread 01-24-2011, 09:41 PM   #4
Hammer of the Gods

shanejohnson02 is just really niceshanejohnson02 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by rug View Post

This. Also, ALWAYS use a metronome, click track, or a drum machine. Metronome = precision. In the Army, we have a saying: Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Get it right slow, repeat 100 times until it's smooth, and then you can speed it up. It won't happen overnight though. Play CLEAN. That means no distortion, delay, chorus, whatever to hide any mistakes. You want to hear mistakes so you can eliminate them.

As part of your technique, try concentrating on a couple of things:
1) Reduced motion. Use ONLY the last millemeter or so of the pick. Also try to concentrate on keeping the pick within a millimeter or so of each side of the string in question. Reduced motion = reduced effort = increased efficiency = speed.
2) DON'T PICK FROM THE ELBOW.
3) Relax. You'll be amazed at how your technique will instantly improve when you learn to use the minimum effort (this goes for left hand, as well).

Finally, learn other songs that require the same technique. It may be easier to nail a passage in another song. Then, when the skill is acquired to your satisfaction, it's pretty easy to "transpose" it to another piece of music. Consider it a "bag of tricks".

shanejohnson02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2011, 10:16 PM   #5
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitaristOfHell View Post
That's my issue is I've caught on fast to almost everything, so I don't have the patience to slow down, but this is an exception. I just hate going slow.
Get used to it, you are not going to be able to just play a lot of things when they start truly getting fast. You need to effectively build up muscle memory to do it, for each riff.

That is Bar 20 btw, or musical measure. Angling your pick is something I always do, I like the way it sounds, adds a lot of bite and attack. I only flat pick when hybrid picking (due to hand position) it is slower.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 07:45 AM   #6
Ze..

oompa is the epitome of metal.oompa is the epitome of metal.oompa is the epitome of metal.oompa is the epitome of metal.oompa is the epitome of metal.oompa is the epitome of metal.oompa is the epitome of metal.oompa is the epitome of metal.oompa is the epitome of metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanejohnson02 View Post
This. Also, ALWAYS use a metronome, click track, or a drum machine. Metronome = precision. In the Army, we have a saying: Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Get it right slow, repeat 100 times until it's smooth, and then you can speed it up. It won't happen overnight though. Play CLEAN. That means no distortion, delay, chorus, whatever to hide any mistakes. You want to hear mistakes so you can eliminate them.

As part of your technique, try concentrating on a couple of things:
1) Reduced motion. Use ONLY the last millemeter or so of the pick. Also try to concentrate on keeping the pick within a millimeter or so of each side of the string in question. Reduced motion = reduced effort = increased efficiency = speed.
2) DON'T PICK FROM THE ELBOW.
3) Relax. You'll be amazed at how your technique will instantly improve when you learn to use the minimum effort (this goes for left hand, as well).

Finally, learn other songs that require the same technique. It may be easier to nail a passage in another song. Then, when the skill is acquired to your satisfaction, it's pretty easy to "transpose" it to another piece of music. Consider it a "bag of tricks".
Great stuff ^
I did write 99% of all of that in the "critic my playing thread" already though lol so I'm gonna say the same thing I said in the other thread:

Stop looking for shortcuts mate!

Practice the way I and shanejohnson02 both said: wrist only, minimal range of motion, start out very slowly and aim for perfection. And do those friggin scales (4th time I tell you now I think) because they involve all of this!

Eat Shit. Billions of flies can't be wrong.
oompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2011, 07:53 AM   #7
The Optimist Prime.

Alright, I have off the rest of the week from school ( regents week and I have none), so looks like I've got more work to do.

Proud gear owner of:
Hughes and Kettner 4x12
Boss GT8
Unread 01-26-2011, 05:30 PM   #8
SS Contributor

wannabguitarist is a splendid one to beholdwannabguitarist is a splendid one to beholdwannabguitarist is a splendid one to beholdwannabguitarist is a splendid one to beholdwannabguitarist is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
By keeping your pick straight do you mean parallel with the strings? Just angle it man, it's faster and easier.

Or downpick

Love Charity Esteem TKE

"Oh, not as hard. But it's not the force with which you thrust, it's the angle in which you put your dick into the vagina. Guitar strings have G-spots"-failshredder
wannabguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote