homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques Discussions on Theory, member submitted lessons, practice regimens and everything else.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-21-2010, 12:30 AM   #1
ss.org Regular

Jedi Pirate will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
On Impulse-Animals As Leaders Help!

I can't get a technique down when I'm trying to play this song! It gets me frustrated! It also makes it worse that this is the first song I'm learning that uses finger picking/pick..picking, some sort of hybrid? Can anyone shed some light? How am I supposed to play it? Thanks
Jedi Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-21-2010, 12:57 AM   #2
Bald Bear

Tree is a glorious beacon of lightTree is a glorious beacon of lightTree is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Pirate View Post
finger picking/pick..picking, some sort of hybrid?
It is in fact just called hybrid-picking . As far as providing help it's just a matter of practicing all the parts really slow and eventually building up speed (just like anything else). This was one of the first hybrid-picking songs I learned as well. Just keep at it and it will come to you

Band:
Warforged

My SoundCloud:
ChristianTBerger

Hit me up for mixing/editing/digital reamps
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 03:05 PM   #3
ss.org Regular

Haha cool, so there's no like "correct" way of doing it? I just mainly try to use my ringer finger and my middle finger, and that's pretty much it
Unread 11-21-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
Bald Bear

Tree is a glorious beacon of lightTree is a glorious beacon of lightTree is a glorious beacon of light
I subscribed to Jamplay.com to get the Tosin lessons. So the correct fingers to use are the pick, obviously, then your ring, middle, and pinkie. The pinkie is the hardest one to control and will likely require the most practice. Just have fun and practice until you're comfortable with it.

Band:
Warforged

My SoundCloud:
ChristianTBerger

Unread 11-21-2010, 03:51 PM   #5
Hwat you call me?

guambomb832 is just really niceguambomb832 is just really nice
The hybrid picking is a pretty useful thing down the road in creating your own music dude, so I would take the time to learn it fully! I'm still trying to tame my pinkie and make sure it hits strings I want it to hit when hybrid picking

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]You gotta pay the troll toll, to get into the boy's hole.

My bandcamp for my music project, Guamskyy. Enjoy!
guambomb832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 04:33 PM   #6
ss.org Regular

Yeah, i only use my pick, middle, and ring finger for the intro, do i need t be using all of them?
Unread 11-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #7
ΩGJ :3

Alberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to behold
I've actually learned a good deal of the hybrid-picking part of the song and I haven't used my pinky finger. Nor do I plan on using it. . And I don't remember seeing Tosin using his pinky either. But on that last one I could be proven wrong, as I'm not very sure... If somebody can prove me wrong, please enlighten me.

But I guess that's just because of my classical guitar influences. It's strictly prohibited to pick with your pinky finger on what would be the "proper" way of playing classical guitar. Which is the way my first guitar teacher taught me and how I've been playing it ever since.

As for learning this song... Just practice it slow... Very slow... VERY, VERY slow, in fact. And for a LOOOONG time. You have no idea how much time I spent trying to get the hybrid-picking technique down . Like everything, practice makes perfect

Sum ergo cogito; cogito ergo dubito; dubito ergo cogito; cogito ergo sum.
Alberto7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 05:08 PM   #8
Bald Bear

Tosin uses his pinkie in every video, and specifically mentions it in the tutorial videos. I don't know if it's "unorthodox" or anything, as I'm not classically trained. Either way, you don't NEED to use any fingers you don't want to. That's just the way he plays it. Learn it whichever way is most comfortable to you.

Band:
Warforged

My SoundCloud:
ChristianTBerger

Unread 11-21-2010, 05:58 PM   #9
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'm learning it but I play with a thumbpick - so I'm actually using my index finger too. I also decided to use my pinky which is rather unusual. So I'm playing it with a one finger per string style, similar to classical guitar.
If I were you I'd just look at how many is the most he uses at once and see if you need your pinky or not. I'd advise learning with it if your just starting with this style. It only took me about a week to get used to using my pinky
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 06:03 PM   #10
ss.org Regular

777_CHILLI_777 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree View Post
I subscribed to Jamplay.com to get the Tosin lessons. So the correct fingers to use are the pick, obviously, then your ring, middle, and pinkie. The pinkie is the hardest one to control and will likely require the most practice. Just have fun and practice until you're comfortable with it.

Is it worth subsribing to Jam Play to get his lessons??
777_CHILLI_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 06:28 PM   #11
Some Say...

glassmoon0fo is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/glassmoon0fo is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/glassmoon0fo is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/glassmoon0fo is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/glassmoon0fo is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/glassmoon0fo is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/glassmoon0fo is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777_CHILLI_777 View Post
Is it worth subsribing to Jam Play to get his lessons??
it's worth subscribing to Jamplay for a multitude of lessons, not just tosins (though his are the reason i tried it out). there are some pretty knowledgeable folks working for Jamplay, and if youre into more than just metal it'd be a pretty nice resource to have

"I think he actually means beach wood. As in driftwood. For a sound as huge as the ocean." - TomAwesome

Most women just pretend that Men are the crazy ones. trust me. But when the new Dark Age arrives and they need food and shelter they will be lining up to lay down and please for a handful of blackberries and a deer skin hat. Good luck with you both and remember "it's 187 on an undercover cop" - Some Guy on Facebook
glassmoon0fo is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 08:20 PM   #12
ss.org Regular

Hmm yeah, for the part after the main intro, i use my pinky to play it, it just feels more comfortable, and makes sense in a way. I think I might try playing this song for the talent show at my high school on December 3rd. I'm trying to get as much advice as possible. if any of you have a video that could help me out, that would be awesome. I don't want to subscribe to jam play due to my brokeness
Unread 11-21-2010, 08:46 PM   #13
ss.org Regular

777_CHILLI_777 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassmoon0fo View Post
it's worth subscribing to Jamplay for a multitude of lessons, not just tosins (though his are the reason i tried it out). there are some pretty knowledgeable folks working for Jamplay, and if youre into more than just metal it'd be a pretty nice resource to have

Oh ok, excellent, i might give it a try then. I'm definately trying to learn some new stuff other than metal atm. Thanks man
777_CHILLI_777 is offline   Reply With Quote