homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques Discussions on Theory, member submitted lessons, practice regimens and everything else.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-10-2006, 02:29 PM   #1
...is bitching

Jerich is a splendid one to beholdJerich is a splendid one to beholdJerich is a splendid one to beholdJerich is a splendid one to beholdJerich is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Without a PICK?

I know not many people do it and I feel i am one who does. I play without a pick most of the time. Does anyone else play like this. I can play with a pick i sometimes control the pick between my point/middle fingers while playing. I have long thumb/ring/pinky nails that i employ as picks etc..With this playing style i find i can do more open chorded playing and evens out the Muted strings. I know alot of players like this and i teach it to my students as an extra technique. OPINIONS? Or does anyone know someone else who plays like this..? <<<This dude has a Pick we need a smiley without a pick?

Here is a guy who Plays well and has a Video of this technique..
Kosta Vreto
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...851&indicate=2

Brunetti Amplifiers
Member since 07-02-2004..
Jerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 08-10-2006, 02:37 PM   #2
Tone Whore

garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.garcia3441 is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
http://www.alaskapik.com/

I use a regular pick 75% of the time, and these the rest.

"Im sick and tired of hearing things
From uptight, short-sighted, narrow-minded hypocritics
All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth. "
John Lennon
garcia3441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2006, 03:00 PM   #3
F'king ............

distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Wow, that guy was great!

I've always played fingerstyle as well as using the pick, and it actually comes far more naturally to me than pick-style playing (which is actually the reason I spend more time practicing with the pick).

Define 'well-adjusted'...

http://farsideguitars.blogspot.com/
distressed_romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2006, 06:28 PM   #4
Songs about My Cats

Mastodon is the epitome of metal.Mastodon is the epitome of metal.Mastodon is the epitome of metal.Mastodon is the epitome of metal.Mastodon is the epitome of metal.Mastodon is the epitome of metal.Mastodon is the epitome of metal.Mastodon is the epitome of metal.Mastodon is the epitome of metal.
I have a horrible habit of chewing my nails down to nubs, so no I don't.

I'm drying to dump this habit seeing as I plan on purchasing a 7 string classical guitar soon and learning more finger picking.
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2006, 06:33 PM   #5
je t'aime

David has much to be proud ofDavid has much to be proud ofDavid has much to be proud ofDavid has much to be proud ofDavid has much to be proud ofDavid has much to be proud of
I have a hard time with fingerpicking, because I don't have any nails. I keep my suckers down so that there's no white even on them... but yes... I can.

ss.org's official most photoshopped member
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2006, 07:45 PM   #6
SS.org Regular

Richardscuro is a jewel in the rough
That guy was great! I think that using your fingers is a great technique. I like using my fingers a lot when I am playing jazz chord voicings because I can mute different strings more easily. I think that using your fingers for lead playing is a really cool idea. The other guitar player in my band uses his fingers a lot to grab notes on other strings when he is soloing and it sounds killer.
Richardscuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2006, 07:59 PM   #7
IKILLUWITHMYBALDHEAD

MetalMike is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/MetalMike is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/MetalMike is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/MetalMike is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/MetalMike is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/MetalMike is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/MetalMike is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Thumbs up

I use my fingers 95% of the time for classical stuff and 50% of the time for jazz stuff. (the other 50% of the time I'm using both) Even when I was learning to play and practiced those string skipping Gilbert legato licks I found it more comfortable to use my pinky on the higher strings than actually picking the note. I think it's a great technique to add to your arsenal and certainly helps to get yourself out of the typical shred rut.

Cool soundclips/videos.
MetalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2006, 08:28 PM   #8
Yarrrrrr

shadowgenesis has much to be proud ofshadowgenesis has much to be proud ofshadowgenesis has much to be proud ofshadowgenesis has much to be proud ofshadowgenesis has much to be proud ofshadowgenesis has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i never really got into finger-picking. I studied a bit of classical playing for a while with my old teacher and just didn't enjoy it one bit.

but from what i understand, Jeff Beck hasn't played with a guitar pick in 25 years and well... he's ....in insane...
shadowgenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2006, 08:47 PM   #9
OldschoolGhettostyle

Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.
Wow. That was awesome. "Things I Never Said" was beautiful. Near the end of the recording, it reminds me of music from the SNES game "Secret of Mana" (Seiken Densetsu 2), one of my favorite video games. Very impressive.

As for finger-picking, lately I don't do it much, but a few years ago I was really into classical guitar and 50-60% of what I played was finger-picked. Whenever I'd play something like Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata", Vivaldi's "Four Seasons", or any complicated video game music, I did it completely finger-picked (although I did make a picked version of "Moonlight Sonata", but it was a lot harder to play than the finger-picked version, so I usually didn't use a pick for it). Nowdays I'd say 90-95% picked, 5-10% finger-picked. There's even a song in my band where the other guitarist had written both guitar parts and, when he plays "my" part, he finger picks it, but when I play it, I use a pick. I think, in this case, they sound the same.
Naren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2006, 04:54 AM   #10
Rokuban Taicho

Loserchief is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
when i play Flamenco it's pure fingerpicking for me, but on electric it's clearly pick, for about 95% of the time.
Loserchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2006, 08:25 AM   #11
F'king ............

distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I have a hard time with fingerpicking, because I don't have any nails. I keep my suckers down so that there's no white even on them... but yes... I can.
You don't need nails dude! Persevere with the pads on your fingers and you'll develop callusses on them just like your left hand. Some people actually prefer the sound of flesh over nails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmike23
I use my fingers 95% of the time for classical stuff and 50% of the time for jazz stuff. (the other 50% of the time I'm using both) Even when I was learning to play and practiced those string skipping Gilbert legato licks I found it more comfortable to use my pinky on the higher strings than actually picking the note. I think it's a great technique to add to your arsenal and certainly helps to get yourself out of the typical shred rut.

Cool soundclips/videos.
That sounds a bit like the way Gordan Giltrap, the acoustic guitarist (who can absolutely rip incidentally) picks...

Last edited by distressed_romeo; 08-11-2006 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Unread 08-11-2006, 05:24 PM   #12
...is bitching

Jerich is a splendid one to beholdJerich is a splendid one to beholdJerich is a splendid one to beholdJerich is a splendid one to beholdJerich is a splendid one to behold
yep...FLESH produces sounds just as well as a pick..I can get definition out of my nails just like pick (s)..Sweeps are actually easier for me to do.Plus you can Ghost note alot easier too. and to all you nail biters (((STOP))) ...

Brunetti Amplifiers
Unread 08-11-2006, 05:47 PM   #13
F'king ............

^I used to fingerpick almost exclusively with nails, but ended up cutting them much shorter when I got heavily into 8 finger tapping. Gives lots of options tone wise, as I can very the mix of flesh and nail (a la Segovia). When I play speed-metal stuff on the bass, I'll often get a pick-style tone by alternate picking with the nail of my index finger.
You do need strong nails to really make that work though. Fortunately mine are unbreakable! Does anyone here use acrylic nails?

Unread 08-12-2006, 06:33 AM   #14
...is bitching

i use baking soda and Super glue mixture on three of my nails just to keep them strong and sharp...I kinda file them too (how gay is that?)...they are not LONG!! they are just right. As far as 8 finger you can still do it you have to arch you wrist a little more at times and use the more flesh-y part of your finger pads..but all's good...this is a good technique worth working on.

Brunetti Amplifiers
Unread 08-12-2006, 07:16 AM   #15
F'king ............

I file mine too (and paint them...). You pretty much have to if you don't want them to tear. I usually use a pretty coarse file to get the length about right, and then a fine-grain one to get them totally smooth. I've heard of classical guitarists using clear varnish for extra strength as well. Another good tip is to avoid practicing with damp hands, as that'll make your nails weaker.
Ani DiFranco uses acrylic nails, and fastens them on with electric tape and superglue, which is pretty extreme to say the least. My old teacher once tried to make his own by gluing part of a ping-pong ball onto his thumbnail...it broke off, and he couldn't figure out how to get the remaining bit of plastic off..

Unread 08-12-2006, 08:17 AM   #16
...is bitching

i respect the fact we are talking about guitar technique but..you .must admit talking about our nails is ((gay))

Brunetti Amplifiers
Unread 08-12-2006, 09:12 AM   #17
F'king ............

^Well, yeah...has to be done though!