homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques Discussions on Theory, member submitted lessons, practice regimens and everything else.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-18-2010, 05:03 PM   #1
/)'3'(\

ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Benefits of Fourths Tuning

Title really says it all. After watching Tom Quayle play, it got me curious as to how this tuning could be beneficial.

Ride the wings of death!

"Seriously... You DO NOT headbang with your knees" Murmel

ittoa666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-18-2010, 05:10 PM   #2
SS.org Regular

Maniacal is a name known to allManiacal is a name known to allManiacal is a name known to allManiacal is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Its quite obvious why it is beneficial. Its just really difficult to get used to when you have been playing for ages.

Books, posters, play along lessons and apps!

I teach on Skype - If you purchased my books, first lesson is free!

http://www.shredtraining.com

Please subscribe to my YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/shredtraining
Maniacal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2010, 01:11 AM   #3
Extended Ranger

Hollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Yeah, that's why I don't want to change. Plus, you can kiss goodbye all the covers you've ever learned. Personally, I think it would be cool if you were just learning to just start that way, but oh well. Little late for me!
Hollowway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2010, 01:23 AM   #4
All Fourths Advocate

Waelstrum is just really niceWaelstrum is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowway View Post
Yeah, that's why I don't want to change. Plus, you can kiss goodbye all the covers you've ever learned. Personally, I think it would be cool if you were just learning to just start that way, but oh well. Little late for me!
I switched after only a few months
It's really good, I hated the inconsistency of standard. I do still know some of the basic chords in standard as all fourths makes six+ string chords a little harder. I'm trying to increase my chord chops at the moment though, as it makes single line melodies a push-over (comparatively).
Waelstrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2010, 07:15 AM   #5
F'king ............

distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.
I've always liked the idea of fourths, but given it took me so long to get used to that pesky maj3rd, I don't think I'd really gain much by switching.

The main thing I can see it being beneficial is exploring harmony if you're into jazz guitar, as it'll drastically cut down the number of fingerings you need to learn for identical voicings.

Other than that, it's really good for touch-playing, if you're into that, as you can practice piano-style things like scales in octaves with identical fingerings for each hand.

BTW...just listened to Tom Quayle for the first time after reading this thread. Excellent stuff.

Define 'well-adjusted'...

http://farsideguitars.blogspot.com/
distressed_romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2010, 07:17 AM   #6
/)'3'(\

ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by distressed_romeo View Post
BTW...just listened to Tom Quayle for the first time after reading this thread. Excellent stuff.
Glad you checked him out. Amazing player.

Ride the wings of death!

"Seriously... You DO NOT headbang with your knees" Murmel

ittoa666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2010, 09:41 PM   #7
SS.org Regular

Black_tear is a jewel in the rough
Tom Quayle is awesome. I was listening to Guthrie Govan some years ago when i found Tom.Amazing fusion player, great improvisation skills!
...and lovely suhr guitar

My next tunning from lowest to highest

D G E N N T T T
Black_tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2010, 10:00 PM   #8
Mostly Harmless

ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.
There's a bunch of all-4ths folks here. If Durero doesn't drop-in a reply, send him a PM.

Ray

The Ultimate Question: What string gauge is needed for 18.84# of tension when tuned to E2 on a 27" scale guitar?
ElRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2010, 12:16 AM   #9
long ball larry!

adrock is a glorious beacon of lightadrock is a glorious beacon of lightadrock is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
i'm interested in the "benefits" too. i don't like to admit, but i don't really know my scales or modes, etc. i am just starting to really learn them all. and i never really understood standard tuning honestly. should i just try perfect fourths since i'm basically learning from scratch? so far, it seems easier to me.
adrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2010, 02:26 AM   #10
ss.org Regular

Xodus will become famous soon enough
Coming from playing a bass I find it a lot easier to do arpeggios and scales in full fourths. The only disadvantage I can think of would be the inability to do barre chords. I'm surprised it hasn't caught on hugely with shredders.
Xodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2010, 04:54 AM   #11
dpm
Oni Guitars

dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.dpm is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I find all-4ths much more logical for the way I approach things, and I switched after playing for many years in standard. I can't remember exactly when but at the time I didn't know of anyone else doing it (except bass players). I can still play in standard but fourths is less restrictive for my creativity. Certain chords can be a little more difficult, but others less so

I'm currently catching up with emails, please be patient
dpm is offline   Reply With Quote