homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques Discussions on Theory, member submitted lessons, practice regimens and everything else.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-27-2010, 03:15 AM   #51
ss.org Regular

DarkRaven03 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
^^ Some observations:

:34-37 You can see here that your left hand positioning is somewhat awkward. Your fingers are slanted in relation to the fretboard and your thumb starts creeping over the neck. While this kind of position is fine for lots of vibrato and bends, it's not very efficient for fast runs/stretches because it places a lot of pressure on your wrist. Keep your thumb on the back of the neck for most playing(except vibrato/bendy bits).

:49 When you start this rhythmic grouping, you can hear that your hands are clearly out of sync, even before you speed it up.

1:22 As you start this, you're still slightly out of sync, but listen to what happens at ~1:28. The accent shifts from where you started it because your hands aren't synced up.

1:55 I'm noticing that as you pick faster, you push your elbow outward away from your body and make a fist. In my own experimenting/research, I've found that this is quite possibly the most tense position you can put your arm in. To fix this, try relaxing your arm, keeping it draped lightly on the guitar. Rest the heel of your palm lightly on the bridge and use this as the general area the rest of your hand pivots around. However, as you move from string to string, make sure your hand moves to compensate, DO NOT keep the your hand anchored to the same spot. Also, you might want to try having your extra three fingers flayed out (relaxed of course) instead of in a fist. I've found that if you make a fist and start picking, your extra three fingers tend to push against your thumb + pointer as you grip the pick. This in turn causes the muscles in your forearm and elbow to tense, making it very hard to pick efficiently or for very long. This is also a good way to wreck your elbow.

My advice would be to try out some of the changes I've suggested for a month or so. Because they may feel somewhat odd, play EVERYTHING slowly(you should be practicing this way anyway), as I laid out in my previous post. Try not playing anywhere near fast tempos for an entire month. Focus on accuracy, making sure your hands are in sync with each other, and staying in time. Also, don't think of any lick/sequence as "one thing." When you're practicing, focus on EACH AND EVERY note. You'll find mistakes that you didn't notice before, assuming you are really going through the motions slowly and focusing on them. You might not even want to use a click for this part, as you have to identify any problems you're having before you can put a phrase to a click. Once you've identified them and worked with them a little bit, practice them slowly and in time.

If you do follow my advice, you'll be surprised how much cleaner and efficient your playing will become, even in just a month of solid, dedicated practice.

Also, please understand that any and all comments/criticisms I make about your playing are genuinely intended to help you. If I come across as harsh in any way, that is not at all my intention. I'm speaking from lots of research and experimentation I've done on technique, and these are some of the things I've found most helpful. I got carpal tunnel in both wrists during my second year of playing because of poor technique. Luckily, I was able to get rid of it with virtually no damage and reform things. I can't begin tell you how helpful it is to do your research on technique, as well as warm up before you play. If you want me to share anything else I've learned about technique, feel free to ask, I'd be more than happy to help.
DarkRaven03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 02-27-2010, 05:59 AM   #52

Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRaven03 View Post
^^ Some observations:

:34-37 You can see here that your left hand positioning is somewhat awkward. Your fingers are slanted in relation to the fretboard and your thumb starts creeping over the neck. While this kind of position is fine for lots of vibrato and bends, it's not very efficient for fast runs/stretches because it places a lot of pressure on your wrist. Keep your thumb on the back of the neck for most playing(except vibrato/bendy bits).

:49 When you start this rhythmic grouping, you can hear that your hands are clearly out of sync, even before you speed it up.

1:22 As you start this, you're still slightly out of sync, but listen to what happens at ~1:28. The accent shifts from where you started it because your hands aren't synced up.

1:55 I'm noticing that as you pick faster, you push your elbow outward away from your body and make a fist. In my own experimenting/research, I've found that this is quite possibly the most tense position you can put your arm in. To fix this, try relaxing your arm, keeping it draped lightly on the guitar. Rest the heel of your palm lightly on the bridge and use this as the general area the rest of your hand pivots around. However, as you move from string to string, make sure your hand moves to compensate, DO NOT keep the your hand anchored to the same spot. Also, you might want to try having your extra three fingers flayed out (relaxed of course) instead of in a fist. I've found that if you make a fist and start picking, your extra three fingers tend to push against your thumb + pointer as you grip the pick. This in turn causes the muscles in your forearm and elbow to tense, making it very hard to pick efficiently or for very long. This is also a good way to wreck your elbow.

My advice would be to try out some of the changes I've suggested for a month or so. Because they may feel somewhat odd, play EVERYTHING slowly(you should be practicing this way anyway), as I laid out in my previous post. Try not playing anywhere near fast tempos for an entire month. Focus on accuracy, making sure your hands are in sync with each other, and staying in time. Also, don't think of any lick/sequence as "one thing." When you're practicing, focus on EACH AND EVERY note. You'll find mistakes that you didn't notice before, assuming you are really going through the motions slowly and focusing on them. You might not even want to use a click for this part, as you have to identify any problems you're having before you can put a phrase to a click. Once you've identified them and worked with them a little bit, practice them slowly and in time.

If you do follow my advice, you'll be surprised how much cleaner and efficient your playing will become, even in just a month of solid, dedicated practice.

Also, please understand that any and all comments/criticisms I make about your playing are genuinely intended to help you. If I come across as harsh in any way, that is not at all my intention. I'm speaking from lots of research and experimentation I've done on technique, and these are some of the things I've found most helpful. I got carpal tunnel in both wrists during my second year of playing because of poor technique. Luckily, I was able to get rid of it with virtually no damage and reform things. I can't begin tell you how helpful it is to do your research on technique, as well as warm up before you play. If you want me to share anything else I've learned about technique, feel free to ask, I'd be more than happy to help.
Nah man you haven't I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. Do you have any tips for five string sweep picking or 6 string sweep picking?

Also sync means what?

Have a question about The Gospel or prayer request, PM me. Happy to help and God Bless!

Band: www.facebook.com/whisperfromheaven
For fans of Melodic-Metal.

"Once you have entered the Ocean... You have entered the food chain." - Dad
Xiphos68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2010, 02:56 PM   #53
7ibrarian

ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
synchronisation amigo

While raping a bear in Yellowstone and snorting coke out of a freshly-dead baby's skull, I finally felt that I had found my calling and built a time machine out of Iraqi WMDs and LOTS OF HEMP WHOA. Using this time machine I went back in time and shot JFK from outer ....ing space. I am now your god - Jeff
.....and then all of a sudden he drops the musical equivilant of a steaming turd right in our laps - ESP Griffyn
ShadyDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2010, 03:20 PM   #54
Loves his Q-tuners

Cheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yeah give it some time man this won't happen overnight

and as stated 1000x in this thread SLOWER.

don't think about trying to impress us with your fastest playing just slow down, relax, and let it happen. Sit behind the beat a bit if you will.

and +1 to everything darkravens said.
Cheesebuiscut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2010, 06:03 PM   #55
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiphos68 View Post

Also sync means what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyDavey View Post
synchronisation amigo
^^This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiphos68 View Post
Nah man you haven't I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. Do you have any tips for five string sweep picking or 6 string sweep picking?

Use the same method I've laid out. Slow everything down, get your hands working together in sync and in time at a very slow tempo. Building accuracy and correct timing at a slow tempo makes faster playing infinitely easier down the line. Remember, this kind of slow, concentrated practice is a UNIVERSAL practicing method. There's virtually no technique/sequence/lick you can't apply it to, because it's a way of programming things into your brain, not a technique specific approach. The key is slowing things down, getting the motions perfect, and then repeating them A LOT.
Unread 02-27-2010, 08:12 PM   #56

Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRaven03 View Post
^^This.

Use the same method I've laid out. Slow everything down, get your hands working together in sync and in time at a very slow tempo. Building accuracy and correct timing at a slow tempo makes faster playing infinitely easier down the line. Remember, this kind of slow, concentrated practice is a UNIVERSAL practicing method. There's virtually no technique/sequence/lick you can't apply it to, because it's a way of programming things into your brain, not a technique specific approach. The key is slowing things down, getting the motions perfect, and then repeating them A LOT.
That's all I've worked on all day basically when I can play and a little bit a sweep picking. It's helping I can tell already so thanks again!

Have a question about The Gospel or prayer request, PM me. Happy to help and God Bless!

Band: www.facebook.com/whisperfromheaven
For fans of Melodic-Metal.

"Once you have entered the Ocean... You have entered the food chain." - Dad
Xiphos68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2010, 11:02 PM   #57
ss.org Regular

No problem man, I'm glad to hear it's helping.