homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Movies, Books, TV & Media
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Movies, Books, TV & Media Read or watch something new? Discuss it here.

Like Tree171Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-29-2011, 08:23 AM   #126
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devotion View Post
Hardcover rules the world paperback is for wussies
You take what you can get generally, older hardcovers likely need to be orderred in special for you as they don't bother stocking them. Hardcover are easier to handle, have bigger print and don't make your hands into claws however. I like Trade paperback personally.

Guitar techs are for sissies.

Learn some damn music theory, don't complain, and you'll be a better person. -Schecterwhore

Show me a truly awesome guitar for under $1000 and I'll show you hateful lies.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 07-29-2011, 08:55 AM   #127
Brojangles

Devotion is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMyghin View Post
You take what you can get generally, older hardcovers likely need to be orderred in special for you as they don't bother stocking them. Hardcover are easier to handle, have bigger print and don't make your hands into claws however. I like Trade paperback personally.
I don't mind ordering, did the same with the hitchhikers guide to galaxy bundle I'm the kind of person that reads them at home, so I don't need the advantages of pocket-sizes etc., I like being able to put them on the shelf and admire a good looking hardcover

But back to the song of ice and fire

Sign your god damn neg rep.
Devotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 10:27 AM   #128
likes peanut butter

Daiephir is just really niceDaiephir is just really nice
Quote:
Hardcover rules the world paperback is for wussies
So stop complaining about being broke then

- Give it a rest. Do you really think that this thread is of a serious nature? 8Fingers is reeling you in. He didn't even have to put any ....ing bait on the hook. - CIAM in the 5 Bands you can't stand thread - saying this to toolsound
- It would just be like "BWOMP BWOMP BWOMP" vs the "VRuuuuOOOOmmmmMMRRRROooomRRR" of the engine. - A subwoofer vs. engine sound, by ESP Griffyn
- New used car fund: 0$, I bought one
Daiephir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 11:50 AM   #129
Brojangles

Devotion is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daiephir View Post
So stop complaining about being broke then
I was just defending myself against the ones who told me that i needed to buy the previous ones first

enuff now

Sign your god damn neg rep.
Devotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 12:34 PM   #130
SS.org Regular

Black_Sheep will become famous soon enough
I bought the first 4 books, as a neat little box set kinda thing, (yes, paperback) and they're really nice. Good quality as well. And i paid only 25€

But yes, i will byu Dance Of Dragons as a hardcover. And it will cost as much as all the 4 books in the box.

"Reality is almost always wrong."
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 12:42 PM   #131
Nothing to see here

-42- is a splendid one to behold-42- is a splendid one to behold-42- is a splendid one to behold-42- is a splendid one to behold-42- is a splendid one to behold
The contents of a book are infinitely more important than its cover.

Jus' sayin'
AxeHappy likes this.
-42- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 03:12 PM   #132
SS.org Regular

^ True. But also, hardcovers are likely to last longer. Just saying.

Anyway, this is a pointless argument.

Unread 07-29-2011, 04:42 PM   #133
I even lift.

gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
^

Hardcovers are harder to read on the toilet. Paperback wins for can-readability.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.
And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
gunshow86de is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 07:00 PM   #134
SS.org Regular

^ They're also easier to take with you if you travel somewhere.

Unread 07-31-2011, 01:12 PM   #135
SS.org Regular

Almost done with "Clash Of Kings" ...And it's been awesome. I've loved every word. I have the last 150 pages left. I believe i'll finish it tomorrow, and start with "Storm of Swords" soon...

Unread 08-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #136
SS.org Regular

Reading Storm Of Swords right now. And it's awesome. These books are some of the best fantasy i've ever read. Im extremely happy that i still have (after SoS) two left

Unread 08-02-2011, 01:23 PM   #137
Total Grind Hell

chronocide is just really nicechronocide is just really nice
Just finished A Storm Of Swords. The revelation at the end.

Oaft!
petereanima likes this.

It's too bad she wont live, but then again who does?

http://www.myspace.com/chronocide - Blackened Grind Crust Hell

http://www.myspace.com/sunsmasher - Utterly Joyless Glaswegian Doom Misery
chronocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2011, 04:00 PM   #138
Naturally Cynical

Watty is a name known to allWatty is a name known to allWatty is a name known to allWatty is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
Quote:
Soooo, I bougth aDwD yesterday, without having read the other ones first.
You are going to be sooooooooooooooooooo lost. Plus, the way Martin kills off main characters, you'll have missed getting to know heaps of important folks.
Watty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2011, 04:01 PM   #139
Naturally Cynical

Watty is a name known to allWatty is a name known to allWatty is a name known to allWatty is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep View Post
Reading Storm Of Swords right now. And it's awesome. These books are some of the best fantasy i've ever read. Im extremely happy that i still have (after SoS) two left
Make that four; there will be a total of 7 books at this point. Though if Martin takes as long to write the last two as he did this one....
Unread 08-02-2011, 07:39 PM   #140
I even lift.

gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by watsonb2 View Post
Make that four; there will be a total of 7 books at this point. Though if Martin takes as long to write the last two as he did this one....
He's only 62 (though he looks much older), so I think he's got plenty of time to finish the series properly.

I sort of think that aDwD was intentionally delayed until after the first season of the HBO series wrapped. Wait until it's popularity soars, then only release it in hardback so you can charge $15 more (bastards ).

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

Unread 08-03-2011, 09:12 AM   #141
Naturally Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunshow86de View Post
He's only 62 (though he looks much older), so I think he's got plenty of time to finish the series properly.

I sort of think that aDwD was intentionally delayed until after the first season of the HBO series wrapped. Wait until it's popularity soars, then only release it in hardback so you can charge $15 more (bastards ).
Well, not that GRRM is sick or anything (that my limited scope is aware of), but RJ died fairly early in life; hopefully we don't lose another fiction "mogul" like that...I don't think there's anyone that could step into Martin's shoes to finish the series, no matter how many notes he left. (My comment was more of a joke about how long we'd have to wait for the next few, not an implication he'd perish before finishing...)

I'd tend to agree with you, but I thought it was supposed to be done and released over three years ago. Seems a long time to wait just to bolster sales, especially if the book was done early; means they had that money maker just sitting there...NOT earning the publisher/GRRM anything...
Daiephir likes this.
Unread 08-03-2011, 11:41 AM   #142
Foolish Mortal

Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.
Yeah, A Dance With Dragons was supposed to be released less than a year after A Feast For Crows. GRRM's personal letter in the back of A Feast For Crows says so. Unfortunately GRRM wasn't particularly satisfied with his original manuscripts so he scrapped them and started fresh, which is why it took so much longer.

Judging by the reviews, it sounds like he made the right call.

I haven't had nearly as much time to read lately, so I still haven't been able to finish A Feast For Crows, despite having purchased A Dance With Dragons on release day.

So far, though, I can't to understand people's complaints about A Feast For Crows. Sure, it sprawls a bit and there's not nearly as much action, but it's the characters that really make these books great, and A Feast For Crows really gives insight into the minds of many characters. Even reading about Cersei's machinations from her own perspective has proven quite interesting.

Revenge is a dish best served with nice biscuits.
Read the rules, fools!
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 09:12 PM   #143
Renegade Folk Hero

Bekanor has much to be proud ofBekanor has much to be proud ofBekanor has much to be proud ofBekanor has much to be proud ofBekanor has much to be proud ofBekanor has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I'm so preordering one of these.

Robert’s Warhammer Prototype Pictures Ľ Valyrian Steel - Swords from George R.R. Martin’s “A Song of Ice and Fire”

Ours is the fury.
Bekanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 01:45 PM   #144
SS.org Regular

AxeHappy is a name known to allAxeHappy is a name known to allAxeHappy is a name known to allAxeHappy is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
My girlfriend got my the first 4 books for our 1 year anniversary.

I'm about half way through Storm of Swords. They just keep getting better and better.
AxeHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 05:09 PM   #145
I even lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekanor View Post
Why did you have to show me this website exists? I want Ice so bad. Could I really justify $270 for a sword?

Side note; Valyrian Steel would be an sick band name.

Unread 08-06-2011, 05:44 PM   #146
likes peanut butter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunshow86de View Post
Why did you have to show me this website exists? I want Ice so bad. Could I really justify $270 for a sword?

Side note; Valyrian Steel would be an sick band name.
Not worth it, the blades are made of stainless steel which is useless in swords.

EDIT: the Damascus Longclaw one would have been could because it was made out of 1060 high carbon steel, but they're not making it anymore, the idiots

- Give it a rest. Do you really think that this thread is of a serious nature? 8Fingers is reeling you in. He didn't even have to put any ....ing bait on the hook. - CIAM in the 5 Bands you can't stand thread - saying this to toolsound
- It would just be like "BWOMP BWOMP BWOMP" vs the "VRuuuuOOOOmmmmMMRRRROooomRRR" of the engine. - A subwoofer vs. engine sound, by ESP Griffyn
Unread 08-06-2011, 06:17 PM   #147
I even lift.

^

You mean they're not real Valyrian steel? I feel like I've been hoodwinked!!!
Sang-Drax, Daiephir and AxeHappy like this.

Unread 08-06-2011, 06:32 PM   #148
Renegade Folk Hero

Bekanor has much to be proud ofBekanor has much to be proud ofBekanor has much to be proud ofBekanor has much to be proud ofBekanor has much to be proud ofBekanor has much to be proud of
Given that they're strictly ornamental, it probably doesn't matter that they aren't made out of weapon's grade steel.

$270 is a pretty good price for officially licensed GOT replicas, I mean I know people who have paid way more for ornamental weapons that aren't half as cool.
AxeHappy likes this.
Unread 08-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #149
likes peanut butter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekanor View Post
Given that they're strictly ornamental, it probably doesn't matter that they aren't made out of weapon's grade steel.

$270 is a pretty good price for officially licensed GOT replicas, I mean I know people who have paid way more for ornamental weapons that aren't half as cool.
The damascus one isn't an ornemental, sharpened it would have been a formidable weapon and for 600$ it was a bargain, the same type of sword in the same type of metal usually goes for 1200$ easily (Darksword Armory's Damascus Anduril springs to mind here).

Also, why buy a sword if not to use it? it's just a huge lump of metal taking wall mounted guitar places

Unread 08-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #150
Renegade Folk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daiephir View Post
The damascus one isn't an ornemental, sharpened it would have been a formidable weapon and for 600$ it was a bargain, the same type of sword in the same type of metal usually goes for 1200$ easily (Darksword Armory's Damascus Anduril springs to mind here).

Also, why buy a sword if not to use it? it's just a huge lump of metal taking wall mounted guitar places
Because what the hell would I use a sword for other than to look cool hanging on my wall?