homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Movies, Books, TV & Media
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Movies, Books, TV & Media Read or watch something new? Discuss it here.

Like Tree171Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #251
I̵ͨ͆̆̈́ͮͩ͑ͭ̅ͣ̆̉ͭ͑̃̚҉͞

gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
I laughed at this for longer than I should have;

petereanima likes this.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.
And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
gunshow86de is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #252
Foolish Mortal

Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
^ Haha, that's great.

Noticed a couple plot deviations from the book:

First:
They kill of Amory Lorch earlier in the show than they did in the book. Here he replaces the overseer of the servants as one of Jaqen's three kills. In the book, he's killed by a bear after Vargo Hoat and the Brave Companions betray the Lannisters.

Second:
More obviously, Jon Snow actually chases down and captures Ygritte after she escapes the first time. In the book, she simply escapes and they don't see each other again until the scene where Jon kills Qhorin Halfhand.

Also noticed a difference between the book and episode 5 from the week before:
In the book, Jaqen H'ghar is a servant of the "Many-Faced God" that all Faceless Men serve, who is represented in several different religions throughout the world as a death God. In the show, however, he clearly serves R'hllor, "the red god." I wonder how they'll reconcile this with the religion of the Faceless Men.

Revenge is a dish best served with nice biscuits.
Read the rules, fools!
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #253
Texas CEO / RHLC

st2012 is a glorious beacon of lightst2012 is a glorious beacon of lightst2012 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaios View Post
^ Haha, that's great.

Noticed a couple plot deviations from the book:

First:
They kill of Amory Lorch earlier in the show than they did in the book. Here he replaces the overseer of the servants as one of Jaqen's three kills. In the book, he's killed by a bear after Vargo Hoat and the Brave Companions betray the Lannisters.

Second:
More obviously, Jon Snow actually chases down and captures Ygritte after she escapes the first time. In the book, she simply escapes and they don't see each other again until the scene where Jon kills Qhorin Halfhand.

Also noticed a difference between the book and episode 5 from the week before:
In the book, Jaqen H'ghar is a servant of the "Many-Faced God" that all Faceless Men serve, who is represented in several different religions throughout the world as a death God. In the show, however, he clearly serves R'hllor, "the red god." I wonder how they'll reconcile this with the religion of the Faceless Men.
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure
in the book Jaqen states that they stole 3 deaths from "the red god" so that part seems accurate.
I'll dig my copy up sometime and make sure though, been a while since I read Clash of Kings.
wannabguitarist likes this.
st2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #254
I̵ͨ͆̆̈́ͮͩ͑ͭ̅ͣ̆̉ͭ͑̃̚҉͞

gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.
^

The Red God is one of the faces of the Many Faced God. I'll have to check, but I think the line about taking 3 lives from the Red God is lifted straight from the book.

EDIT:

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

Unread 05-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #255
Foolish Mortal

Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.
I'm gonna check as soon as I get home. I remember it being quite a jarring difference for me, and I read the book less than a year ago.

Read the rules, fools!
Unread 05-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #256
I̵ͨ͆̆̈́ͮͩ͑ͭ̅ͣ̆̉ͭ͑̃̚҉͞

Must.............. fill thread................ with Jon Snow .gifs...........

st2012, petereanima and Duelbart like this.

Unread 05-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #257
Foolish Mortal

Another good episode. Not a lot of action, but some great conversations. Good bottle episode. More divergences from the plot of the book:

They killed off Cleos Frey earlier than they did in the book. Here in the show, Jaime Lannister kills him in order to find a window of opportunity when the jailer opens the cell in an attempt to escape. The reason he ends up in the same cell as Jaime is because they didn't have any other free cells.

In the book, he gets imprisoned because a bunch of guys that accompanied him back to Robb's camp from King's Landing tried to free Jaime (a plot thread that was cut from the show). He gets sent by Catelyn back with Jaime and Brienne, and dies when his horse rolls over him.

Also, in the show, Rickard Karstark's son is killed by Jaime in the camp when he attempts to escape. In the book, two of his sons were killed by Jaime in the battle of the Whispering Wood.

EDIT: Another couple:

In the book, after Ygritte gets away, Jon rejoins the rest of the party with the Halfhand who are slowly picked off by wildlings until it's only Jon and the Halfhand left. At that point, Jon and the Halfhand duel in order for Jon to placate the wildlings (under Halfhand's orders), and Jon kills Halfhand. Here in the show, it appears Ygritte has lead Jon into a trap before he can rejoin the party. I'm curious how they plan to kill of the Halfhand now.

Also, the whole thing with Daenerys in Qarth has now diverged from the book a great deal all of a sudden with this coup.

And one last minor thing. In the book, Jon discovers the wildling army when he warg-bonds with Ghost who is perched atop a mountain. Ghost is then attacked by the eagle that used to be warg-bonded with one of the people that Jon and Halfhand's party ambushes. It seems they've omitted this plot thread entirely, and I don't know how I feel about that.

So yeah, the writers are getting bolder with the changes they're making to the plot in order to make it fit into the running time. While I don't agree with *everything* they've done, it's been pretty good thus far.

Oh yeah, and it made be extremely happy to hear the following line:

"You know nothing, Jon Snow."
petereanima likes this.

Read the rules, fools!
Unread 05-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #258
I̵ͨ͆̆̈́ͮͩ͑ͭ̅ͣ̆̉ͭ͑̃̚҉͞

Quote:
Oh yeah, and it made be extremely happy to hear the following line:

"You know nothing, Jon Snow."
I must confess, I rewound my DVR because I wanted to hear the line again.

The narrative in Qarth is starting to annoy me. It is too different from the book.

Side note, the new Mountain sucks. No wonder he doesn't have many lines this season. What happened to the season 1 Mountain? He was badss.

Unread 05-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #259
Geek-chic

liamh is a name known to allliamh is a name known to allliamh is a name known to allliamh is a name known to all
^
gunshow86de likes this.
liamh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #260
I̵ͨ͆̆̈́ͮͩ͑ͭ̅ͣ̆̉ͭ͑̃̚҉͞

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamh View Post
^
Touché.

Still, who makes a more menacing Mountain?

Ian Whyte;

or Conan Stevens?

Come on, his freakin real name is Conan!!!

EDIT: Here's what a little Googling will get 'ya, Conan Stevens didn't come back because he landed a role in the Hobbit movies.

Unread 05-14-2012, 07:16 PM   #261
Murder Machine

Sepultorture is a glorious beacon of lightSepultorture is a glorious beacon of lightSepultorture is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunshow86de View Post
Touché.

Still, who makes a more menacing Mountain?

Ian Whyte;
http://images.wikia.com/avp/images/7...g_ianwhyte.jpg

or Conan Stevens?
http://lostfilm.info/images/photo_ac...300_598266.jpg

Come on, his freakin real name is Conan!!!

EDIT: Here's what a little Googling will get 'ya, Conan Stevens didn't come back because he landed a role in the Hobbit movies.
so he yet may return (doubtful, but it would be awesome)

he's gotta be Beorn the bear shape shifter, that or something else big and bad

EDIT: nope i was wrong, he's a character called Bolg, i'm guessing the goblin/orc king who loses his head or some other orc

BEARDS: They Instantly Turn Any Man Into A Badass, It's Like Having Machine Guns On Your Face
Sepultorture is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #262
I̵ͨ͆̆̈́ͮͩ͑ͭ̅ͣ̆̉ͭ͑̃̚҉͞

Unread 05-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #263
One Among the Fence

xXxPriestessxXx is a splendid one to beholdxXxPriestessxXx is a splendid one to beholdxXxPriestessxXx is a splendid one to beholdxXxPriestessxXx is a splendid one to beholdxXxPriestessxXx is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Someone sent this to me today.

petereanima and gunshow86de like this.

Stash the trash, beautify SS.org. Do your part to keep this place great. To learn more about the forum rules; CLICK HERE.

"You are the music, while the music lasts"- T.S. Eliot
xXxPriestessxXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #264
I̵ͨ͆̆̈́ͮͩ͑ͭ̅ͣ̆̉ͭ͑̃̚҉͞

I like the "no, Jon." Couldn't they just move Rickon out of the picture? What a useless character.

*waits for George RR Martin to turn Rickon into a total badass in the last 2 books*

Unread 05-15-2012, 07:29 PM   #265
Naturally Cynical

Watty is a name known to allWatty is a name known to allWatty is a name known to allWatty is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
Quote:
And yeah, the actress playing Ygritte is super cute. Gotta love redheads.
A-....ing-men. And that accent is just....:yes way:

Don't know if it's been mentioned as of yet in the thread (haven't bothered to read the entire thing), but how many people actually sub to HBO to see this? I just saw an article stating this was the most pirated show on TV this year, and was #2 last year. Seems like HBO would make a KILLING if they put this up for grabs episode by episode. I know I'd pay a few bucks per if I could get it in decent quality instead of through....other means. @theoatmeal

*is not advocating the use or perpetuation of....other means*

EDIT: *Hates it when clicking the link on forum home page takes you to a page other than the most recent in the thread...*

Don't like what I post? Tell me why and defend your position like a man.

Gear:

Mackie HR624's
Fractal Audio Axe FX 2
Nice-Racks Custom 2-Space Case

2006 Ibanez RGA121 in Trans-Black
2014 Ormsby HypeMachine in Natural Redwood
2015 Ormsby HypeMachine in Undetermined
Watty is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 04:35 AM   #266
Br00tal Bubbly Mofo

petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watty View Post
Don't know if it's been mentioned as of yet in the thread (haven't bothered to read the entire thing), but how many people actually sub to HBO to see this? I just saw an article stating this was the most pirated show on TV this year, and was #2 last year. Seems like HBO would make a KILLING if they put this up for grabs episode by episode. I know I'd pay a few bucks per if I could get it in decent quality instead of through....other means.
The thing is, for me for example - I even sub'd Sky, the Pay TV ....company for our area - and it took them 7-8 months for the first season to get all the translations and everything done (despite that I only watch them in english original anyway), and no one I know wants to wait that long.

Now, the second season, they are bringing almost "on time" with HBO's airing, BUT, you have to buy an additional channel (Sky Atlantic it is now), I would have even done it, I called, and they told me I can't get it. Currently only available via Sattelite, not via cable.

don't get me wrong - I am a businessman, and I am used to get paid for my work, and I am used to pay others for their work. But when I say "HERE, TAKE MY MONEY!" - and they say "sorry bra"....

Thats why I finally said ".... you, cancel my subscription, I am going to download it."
petereanima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 07:41 AM   #267
Geek-chic

liamh is a name known to allliamh is a name known to allliamh is a name known to allliamh is a name known to all
Ygritte's a dirty slut, Jon should have killed her when he had the chance.
Unread 05-16-2012, 05:38 PM   #268
Foolish Mortal

Don't ever badmouth Ygritte again.

Also, I do watch the show legitimately on HBO. The reason I started reading the books in the first place was because I didn't think I had HBO, so I read them to see what all the fuss was about.

Then I discovered I had HBO all along, just didn't know it.

Read the rules, fools!
Unread 05-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #269
I̵ͨ͆̆̈́ͮͩ͑ͭ̅ͣ̆̉ͭ͑̃̚҉͞

Quote:
Then I discovered I had HBO all along, just didn't know it.
It helps when your satellite dish isn't buried in 50 feet of snow.

Unread 05-16-2012, 07:35 PM   #270
Foolish Mortal

Hey now, we DO have digital cable here.

Even if it is transmitted via carrier pigeon...

Read the rules, fools!
Unread 05-17-2012, 04:11 AM   #271
Texas CEO / RHLC

st2012 is a glorious beacon of lightst2012 is a glorious beacon of lightst2012 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamh View Post
Ygritte's a dirty slut, Jon should have killed her when he had the chance.
You take that BACK!!
st2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 07:05 AM   #272
I̵ͨ͆̆̈́ͮͩ͑ͭ̅ͣ̆̉ͭ͑̃̚҉͞

Quote:
Originally Posted by st2012 View Post
You take that BACK!!
Don't worry, Liamh knows nothing.

Unread 05-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #273
Geek-chic

I wont take it back.
If i was Jon I wouldnt want anything to do with that nasty wildling firecrotch
Unread 05-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #274
One Among the Fence

xXxPriestessxXx is a splendid one to beholdxXxPriestessxXx is a splendid one to beholdxXxPriestessxXx is a splendid one to beholdxXxPriestessxXx is a splendid one to beholdxXxPriestessxXx is a splendid one to behold
So having only read the first book and about 200 pages of the second, this season has been fun for me. I don't know everything like I did in the first season, so it has been nice to be suprised.

Stash the trash, beautify SS.org. Do your part to keep this place great. To learn more about the forum rules; CLICK HERE.

"You are the music, while the music lasts"- T.S. Eliot
xXxPriestessxXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 10:16 PM   #275
Naturally Cynical

Watty is a name known to allWatty is a name known to allWatty is a name known to allWatty is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXxPriestessxXx View Post
So having only read the first book and about 200 pages of the second, this season has been fun for me. I don't know everything like I did in the first season, so it has been nice to be suprised.
I almost think it'd be well worth to forget having read the books a few times through, just to be able to experience the series fresh. Despite a few minor deviations, I think they're staying remarkably close to the source material.

Don't like what I post? Tell me why and defend your position like a man.

Gear:

Mackie HR624's
Fractal Audio Axe FX 2
Nice-Racks Custom 2-Space Case

2006 Ibanez RGA121 in Trans-Black
2014 Ormsby HypeMachine in Natural Redwood
2015 Ormsby HypeMachine in Undetermined
Watty is online now   Reply With Quote