homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Movies, Books, TV & Media
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Movies, Books, TV & Media Read or watch something new? Discuss it here.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By Xaios

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
SS Contributor

Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.Rev2010 is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Why are American movies first released in Europe as of late??

I thought my boss would no this but he has no clue and only noticed it when the Avengers hit the UK first. Now I see Prometheus is being released in the UK a week ahead of the US. Anyone know why this has been lately?

Rev.

Rev2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-01-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
Iraq Lobster.

synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
In the case of the Avengers, I have no idea.

Prometheus - having been directed by a limey - makes a little more sense to me.

"And over here, our bass player, the Duke of Spook, the Doc of Shock, The Man with No Tan, please say hello to Death himself, the Grim Reaper!"
synrgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
People in Europe get butthurt all the time when things are not released at the same time as north america, so this is their way of making them happy.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
Foolish Mortal

Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Battleship was also released overseas first as well. Frankly, they can keep it.

Revenge is a dish best served with nice biscuits.
Read the rules, fools!
Xaios is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #5
Br00tal Bubbly Mofo

petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Mostly, its scheduled to be released in the same week "worldwide" (or at least: in most countries), but in most european countries the general release dates are always Thursday, and iirc in the US its Saturday.

Prior to this, UK got the movies the Thursday AFTER the official "release-saturday", and the non-english speaking countries up to 6-9 months later (they didnt start synchro until the release in the US ;to see if "its worth it").

Downloads made them change their minds - see also Game Of Thrones Season 1 vs Season 2. In Germany (+Austria and Switzerland) Season 1 was broadcasted 8 months after the original HBO airing. And then they wondered why it didnt bring the viewers as expected. Because everyone saw it meanwhile, as no one wants to wait 8 months. Season 2: They learned. They are only 4 or 5 weeks behind original HBO airing. (But they still fail, as you can't subscribe to HBO ("Sky Atlantic HD" for us) by itself, you have to get 3 packages ("Ground-Sky Package for 20,- / months; "Cinema"-package for another 15,-; "HD"-package for another 10,-) to get Sky Atlantic/HBO...so .... that.

Anyway, sorry for the essay, the answer to your original question: In Europe, the release date is always Thursday.
petereanima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 03:19 AM   #6
Renegade Folk Hero

Bekanor has much to be proud ofBekanor has much to be proud ofBekanor has much to be proud ofBekanor has much to be proud ofBekanor has much to be proud ofBekanor has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
So I could see the PAL version in cinemas first instead of getting a naughty, NTSC version first and then getting annoyed by the pitch difference between the two formats when I go to see it at my local cinema.

The squeaky wheel who knows how to rig up a bomb jacket and sneak into corporate headquarters gets the grease.
Bekanor is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 03:25 AM   #7
/\'...'/\

toiletstand is a glorious beacon of lighttoiletstand is a glorious beacon of lighttoiletstand is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
might be another way to build hype for the tentpole flicks here in the US.
toiletstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 05:34 AM   #8
ss.org Regular

joshnes is on a distinguished road
Prometheus is released two months late in europe...Because of the Euro2012 football tournament.

Avengers was early.

The PAL/NTSC has no relevance in the theater, nor does it on modern bluray players. We have all gone HD.
joshnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 06:04 AM   #9
Renegade Folk Hero

Bekanor has much to be proud ofBekanor has much to be proud ofBekanor has much to be proud ofBekanor has much to be proud ofBekanor has much to be proud ofBekanor has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshnes View Post
Prometheus is released two months late in europe...Because of the Euro2012 football tournament.

Avengers was early.

The PAL/NTSC has no relevance in the theater, nor does it on modern bluray players. We have all gone HD.
It was just a joke.
Bekanor is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 09:27 AM   #10
the Bard

Volteau is a glorious beacon of lightVolteau is a glorious beacon of lightVolteau is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I live live in PR and movies are released here first quite often. The Avenger's official release was 2 days before the US one for example. Why I have no idea.
Volteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 10:32 AM   #11
Pretty wisdomous

Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.
Because you are still our colony. Hey, if you didn't want to hear the truth, why ask?

Member of the Injustice League with Pooluke41, -42 and BrainArt

I am Dr. Disappointinator, after an accident with a radioactive school teacher I now possess the ability to instantly crush all hopes and desires of any individual at any given time

Emotions are for women, and gay children
Jakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #12
dotlike

loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
it most likely depends on streaming of other movies that are expected to reach similar audiences. for example, it wouldn't make much sense to release all hollywood mainstream blockbusters during the same month of the year, right? add the synchronization and censorship of abroad movies to that, and you'll have situations in which US movies are released outside the US first.

just speculation, but it makes sense to me

loktide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #13
Banned

loki can only hope to improve
Apparently if a movie "bombs" in America it gets a bad rep worldwide which effects sales. A movie that opens first in Europe and bombs later in America will usually have a higher sales total than a movie that bombs first in America and opens later in Europe.
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 08:53 PM   #14
the Bard

Volteau is a glorious beacon of lightVolteau is a glorious beacon of lightVolteau is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakke View Post
Because you are still our colony. Hey, if you didn't want to hear the truth, why ask?
Nobody denied it. And it's a truth we are all well aware down here... Still has nothing to do with why movies arrive here first though
Unread 06-20-2012, 08:56 PM   #15
Pretty wisdomous

Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.Jakke is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volteau View Post
Nobody denied it. And it's a truth we are all well aware down here... Still has nothing to do with why movies arrive here first though
And you are am honour to your continent sir, hats off

I am Dr. Disappointinator, after an accident with a radioactive school teacher I now possess the ability to instantly crush all hopes and desires of any individual at any given time

Unread 06-20-2012, 09:18 PM   #16
the Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakke View Post
And you are a honour to your continent sir, hat off
And so are you, friend. Especially in writing "a honour" and "hat off". Awesomesauce, man.
Unread 06-20-2012, 09:25 PM   #17
Pretty wisdomous

....... It's late here!