homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Movies, Books, TV & Media
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Movies, Books, TV & Media Read or watch something new? Discuss it here.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Varcolac
  • 2 Post By great_kthulu
  • 1 Post By nojyeloot
  • 1 Post By Xaios

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-13-2012, 08:34 AM   #1
Smeller of Smells

SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I need some dark fantasy reading (not romance--dark fantasy)

So I've been into dark fantasy for a whole now, and I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations.

I have most of Neil Gaiman's books, just but the Abhosen trilogy by Garth Nix, been getting into Raymond Feist (mostly Fairie Tale), I'm a huge Brom fan, and I've got a few others.

Any more suggestions?

I'm not big into swords and shields, dragons and orcs. I like my fantasy dark, with a tinge of horror to it.

No signature because censored blah blah blah.
SenorDingDong is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 02-13-2012, 09:08 AM   #2
Frets? What frets?

Varcolac has much to be proud ofVarcolac has much to be proud ofVarcolac has much to be proud ofVarcolac has much to be proud ofVarcolac has much to be proud ofVarcolac has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
China Miéville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

His Bas-Lag books (Perdido Street Station, The Scar, and Iron Council) are dark, knowing, epic, quasi-steampunk fantasy madness. Some swords and shields, but none of that goblins and orcs crap. His work is very consciously not Tolkeinesque. All three Bas-Lag books have won the Arthur C. Clarke Award. Out of the three, I prefer The Scar, since it's got pirates and quantum physics.

Other good stuff of his would be Kraken, an urban fantasy set in contemporary London, apocalyptic and nerdy and mind-bogglingly creepy, Embassytown, a far-future sci-fi linguistics thing which I have some reservations about but is still immensely engaging and dark. The City And The City is a non-fantasy book, there's no supernatural elements at all, but the brainscrewing head....ery of the premise and its deconstruction/reconstruction makes it almost more weird than Kraken.
SenorDingDong likes this.

SchecterWhore: "Development, phase four. Beethoven
takes you for a ride through space in his Pontiac Trans Am."
Varcolac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
SS.org Regular

great_kthulu is just really nice
George RR Martin's "A song of Ice and Fire" Sounds perfect for you. Just remember, no character is safe!
nojyeloot and SenorDingDong like this.
great_kthulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
Smeller of Smells

SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varcolac View Post
China Miéville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

His Bas-Lag books (Perdido Street Station, The Scar, and Iron Council) are dark, knowing, epic, quasi-steampunk fantasy madness. Some swords and shields, but none of that goblins and orcs crap. His work is very consciously not Tolkeinesque. All three Bas-Lag books have won the Arthur C. Clarke Award. Out of the three, I prefer The Scar, since it's got pirates and quantum physics.
I almost bought King Rat once because it was a runoff of Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere.

I'll definitely have to check this guy's writing out. Thanks!

Unread 02-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
SS.org Regular

nojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
You might enjoy Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series. (Don't let the sitcom fool you, they butchered that).

EDIT: But yes, great_kthulu is right, George RR Martin might fit your needs too.

http://www.facebook.com/BristolGuitars | https://soundcloud.com/nojyeloot

"If anyone speaks badly of you, live so that no one believes it."[/FONT]

nojyeloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #6
Foolish Mortal

Xaios harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Xaios harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Xaios harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Xaios harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Xaios harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Xaios harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Xaios harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Xaios harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Xaios harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Xaios harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Xaios harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Xaios harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Xaios harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
+1 to the "A Song of Ice and Fire" saga from George R.R. Martin. Highly engrossing.

Another good read is Patrick Rothfuss' "Kingkiller Chronicles." Granted, there are only two books, and supposedly only 1 more on the way, but they're both extremely good. The first is "The Name of the Wind," the second is "The Wise Man's Fear."

Revenge is a dish best served with nice biscuits.
Read the rules, fools!
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #7
Smeller of Smells

I'll check out "A Song of Fire and Ice," though I am a bit hesitant to jump into series books (I don't know why really, I just am).

I've seen the reviews and they're great.

I'll also look into "Sword of Truth," thought I believe the series is a but long for my interest (over ten books I believe). I'll probably get the first and see from there.

I'm really interested in The Kingkiller Chronicles, they sound awesome.

Unread 02-13-2012, 01:04 PM   #8
SS.org Regular

nojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWGriebel View Post
I'll check out "A Song of Fire and Ice," though I am a bit hesitant to jump into series books (I don't know why really, I just am).

I've seen the reviews and they're great.

I'll also look into "Sword of Truth," thought I believe the series is a but long for my interest (over ten books I believe). I'll probably get the first and see from there.

I'm really interested in The Kingkiller Chronicles, they sound awesome.
OK, gotcha. I love investing in long series.

So, if you want something good and short (trilogy-esque) then I suggest the Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. I loved Feist, but Sanderson is a bit more about character development. It's not as "dark" as you've requested, but it might satiate your hunger. It's incredible.

My tastes (for reference):
Jordan
Goodkind
Sanderson
Feist
Tolkein
CS Lewis
Martin

http://www.facebook.com/BristolGuitars | https://soundcloud.com/nojyeloot

"If anyone speaks badly of you, live so that no one believes it."[/FONT]

nojyeloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #9
Foolish Mortal

Xaios harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Xaios harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Xaios harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Xaios harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Xaios harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Xaios harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Xaios harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Xaios harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Xaios harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Xaios harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Xaios harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Xaios harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Xaios harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nojyeloot View Post
So, if you want something good and short (trilogy-esque) then I suggest the Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. I loved Feist, but Sanderson is a bit more about character development. It's not as "dark" as you've requested, but it might satiate your hunger. It's incredible.
Heh, that reminds me, I've had "The Way of Kings" sitting in the back seat of my car for probably 6 months now, still in the bag from the book store. Gotta read it sometime.

Revenge is a dish best served with nice biscuits.
Read the rules, fools!
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 04:29 PM   #10
Smeller of Smells

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojyeloot View Post
OK, gotcha. I love investing in long series.

My tastes (for reference):
Jordan
Goodkind
Sanderson
Feist
Tolkein
CS Lewis
Martin
Tolkein and Lewis are two greats, I'll definitely look into Mistborn.

Hah I have OCD with books, so series books are hard for me--I have to read them all in a row.

Have you had any experience with Tad Williams? I've really been scoping out the Shadowmarch and Otherworld series'.